Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Anyone else laughing at the $30 price tag of Ajani?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Anyone else laughing at the $30 price tag of Ajani?
Troll_Ascetic
posted July 07, 2012 04:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Troll_Ascetic Click Here to Email Troll_Ascetic Send a private message to Troll_Ascetic Click to send Troll_Ascetic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Troll_Ascetic's Have/Want ListView Troll_Ascetic's Have/Want List
We all know, having been through this a million times, that card values go down a bit after release most of the time on the BIG cards people expect to be great. Someone is trying to sell Ajani for $35 right now, which Is comical IMO, because I can see him going down to $20-$25 in the next couple months. Are any of you willing to pay that kind of a price tag? I am just curious if I am the only one who finds this to be hysterical.

Have a great day everyone!

airwalk
posted July 07, 2012 04:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
People were pre-ordering Karn at $50. This doesn't shock or surprise me at all, we see this EVERYtime a new planeswalker comes out.

Troll_Ascetic
posted July 07, 2012 04:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Troll_Ascetic Click Here to Email Troll_Ascetic Send a private message to Troll_Ascetic Click to send Troll_Ascetic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Troll_Ascetic's Have/Want ListView Troll_Ascetic's Have/Want List
I am not shocked......just laughing hysterically at anyone who pays that price

airwalk
posted July 07, 2012 04:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
People that can afford to pay the highest price for cards when they are released are probably in a good enough financial position that $35 for a card is nothing to them...

Troll_Ascetic
posted July 07, 2012 04:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Troll_Ascetic Click Here to Email Troll_Ascetic Send a private message to Troll_Ascetic Click to send Troll_Ascetic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Troll_Ascetic's Have/Want ListView Troll_Ascetic's Have/Want List
I am in a good financial situation and I still think it is funny. I am just curious if anyone else laughs when they see this stuff over and over

isetfire
posted July 07, 2012 05:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for isetfire Click Here to Email isetfire Send a private message to isetfire Click to send isetfire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I laugh at the insane prices of every new standard card cuz 99% drop.

sigfig8
posted July 07, 2012 06:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sigfig8 Click Here to Email sigfig8 Send a private message to sigfig8 Click to send sigfig8 an Instant MessageVisit sigfig8's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
But what if this Ajani is the next Jace, and hits 100$???? OMG you can't miss it!!!!

</sarcasm>

Zeckk
posted July 07, 2012 08:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
I had honestly thought Tibalt was going to to be the walker that was so unarguably unplayable enough to shake some people away from the notion that planeswalkers are inherently powerful. The demand issue isn't really up for debate - they post pre-sale prices at what they think people will pay for them, and people inevitably DO pay those prices. Ajani isn't even the worst case example - Both Liliana of the Veil and Sorin, LoI both reached prices that were 3x the current price.

CoupDeGrace
posted July 07, 2012 10:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by isetfire:
I laugh at the insane prices of every new standard card cuz 99% drop.

+1 ...

This was happened for cards like Time Reversal, Koth, Karn and so on...

For that new ajani, it will definitely drop.. Such as awful card overall.

MagixDK
posted July 08, 2012 12:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
i happily paid 40$ a piece for 2 karns, right when they came out.

i wanted to play them in a legacy deck, and was just happy to have them 2 days later for an event.

was fun to play with the new bomb, and im not particularly rich. I knew the card would drop, but I was plenty entertained for my money.

WeedIan
posted July 08, 2012 02:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
This is why mythics are bad for the game. If there were not mythics what would the planeswalkers be $10-15 to start instead of 25-50?

Zeckk
posted July 08, 2012 02:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
This is why mythics are bad for the game. If there were not mythics what would the planeswalkers be $10-15 to start instead of 25-50?

Not to resurrect a dead horse, but the mythics-are-bad argument has some pretty strong refutations, namely the fact that magic is as popular as it's ever been, and pack sales in particular jumped in correlation with the introduction of mythic rares.

I'll be the first to agree that the execution of mythic rares leave something to be desired, but by and large they are a positive for the game.

oneofchaos
posted July 08, 2012 03:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
Not to resurrect a dead horse, but the mythics-are-bad argument has some pretty strong refutations, namely the fact that magic is as popular as it's ever been, and pack sales in particular jumped in correlation with the introduction of mythic rares.

I'll be the first to agree that the execution of mythic rares leave something to be desired, but by and large they are a positive for the game.

The mythic are bad thing- I enjoyed drafting pre-mythic as opposed to post mythic. Maybe even pre-planeswalker, although the first batch were pretty fair before wizards decided they needed to rule standard. I suppose mythics are not necessarily a bad thing since wizards stated they wanted iconic legends to be mainly mythic. But...lotus cobra? Seriously? How is a snake that makes mana mythic? I wouldn't necessarily attribute mythics in developing a playerbase, the playerbase had been growing for years.

CubFan81
posted July 08, 2012 07:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
Not meant as a dig but does anyone else find it funny that there's a thread like this every time a new set comes out?

ZOMG, looks at those noobs buying (Ajani, Tamiyo, Liliana, etc) for crazy prices. Don't they now it's going to come down.

Yes, we all know that they're going to come down in price. The price is because of availability. If I want to play with 3 or 4 Ajani at the SCG in St. Louis next weekend I need them now. I need to buy it today to have it shipped out to me before I leave for the tournament. Or else I'm stuck paying onsite for them (at likely more than $35) or not playing what I want.

If I want to play them in a PTQ in August then I can probably afford to wait. Bully for the guy who cracked one at his pre-release/prize pool. He can take advantage of his good fortune.

On the note of mythics, I'm split on their impact. I think the goal of reducing the price of rares is well intended. I just don't think it has worked out the way that they thought it would. Lowering the prices of set rares is good but it in essence devalues most trade stock in terms of your trading power. Trade sharks aside, how many LGS traders are going to have the stock to trade for a Bonfire or a Geist of Saint Traft?

Rare exceptions like Cavern, Snapcaster, and Restoration Angel aside, if I want Bonfires for my deck my options are generally to crack one or buy one from someone who did. Before Mythics, the rares (Bitterblossom, Chameleon Colossus, Mutavault) were all in the same $20 range and if I changed my mind and wanted to turn Faeries into Elves for a while I could trade rare for rare pretty easily.

Troll_Ascetic
posted July 08, 2012 07:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Troll_Ascetic Click Here to Email Troll_Ascetic Send a private message to Troll_Ascetic Click to send Troll_Ascetic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Troll_Ascetic's Have/Want ListView Troll_Ascetic's Have/Want List
I should probably mention that I have been on a Magic hiatus for several years and am just rediscovering the game. When I stopped playing, they were just coming out with planeswalkers. I was totally shocked at the price of cards in standard when I started back up a couple months back.

My brother began telling me about all the mythic rare stuff and planeswalkers and it confused me. I have been sitting back and taking my time taking everything in before starting tournament play again to make sure I understand the new rules and everything first.

I apologize for making a thread that apparently comes out every time a new set comes out, but it was funny to me that people pay nearly double for a card what they could pay in a few weeks. Also, if I remember correctly, when I was playing last, you could not begin to play cards from a new set in tournaments until a few weeks after the release.

So another question arises in my head. Can we use M13 cards in standard tournaments as soon as the set is officially released now?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Troll_Ascetic on July 08, 2012]

Demilio
posted July 08, 2012 09:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Troll_Ascetic:
I should probably mention that I have been on a Magic hiatus for several years and am just rediscovering the game. When I stopped playing, they were just coming out with planeswalkers. I was totally shocked at the price of cards in standard when I started back up a couple months back.

My brother began telling me about all the mythic rare stuff and planeswalkers and it confused me. I have been sitting back and taking my time taking everything in before starting tournament play again to make sure I understand the new rules and everything first.

I apologize for making a thread that apparently comes out every time a new set comes out, but it was funny to me that people pay nearly double for a card what they could pay in a few weeks. Also, if I remember correctly, when I was playing last, you could not begin to play cards from a new set in tournaments until a few weeks after the release.

So another question arises in my head. Can we use M13 cards in standard tournaments as soon as the set is officially released now?

M13 becomes standard legal on 7/13

Zeckk
posted July 08, 2012 03:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
The mythic are bad thing- I enjoyed drafting pre-mythic as opposed to post mythic. Maybe even pre-planeswalker, although the first batch were pretty fair before wizards decided they needed to rule standard. I suppose mythics are not necessarily a bad thing since wizards stated they wanted iconic legends to be mainly mythic. But...lotus cobra? Seriously? How is a snake that makes mana mythic? I wouldn't necessarily attribute mythics in developing a playerbase, the playerbase had been growing for years.

Walkers haven't been dominating standard since ZEN rotated out. Currently, less than a third of the decks you would expect to see at a high-level tournament even contain a walker in their 75. It took them a couple years, but R&D has gotten pretty close to their goal of making planeswalkers essentially enchantments with a little more board interaction.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League