Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  M13 Limited

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   M13 Limited
Link139232
posted July 07, 2012 11:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
Gonna play in the prerelease tonight. Any ideas on what the best color is for limited? I know green is very strong. Bombs aside, good commons and uncommons?

dwiz
posted July 07, 2012 11:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
Pre-releases are sealed right? I wouldn't go into it with the notion that you're playing green. Make the best possible deck you can with the cards you open. Note: If you're playing at SCG, you can probably trade with other people before deckbuilding (tic)

Link139232
posted July 07, 2012 12:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
That would be cheating..

Anyhow, I know sealed is the best stuff you open, but I meant draft, specifically. Obviously if you open a bomb P1P1, take it, but eh.. The set seems weak as a whole.

dwiz
posted July 07, 2012 12:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Link139232:
That would be cheating..

Anyhow, I know sealed is the best stuff you open, but I meant draft, specifically. Obviously if you open a bomb P1P1, take it, but eh.. The set seems weak as a whole.

It's a joke, you know "tongue in cheek" because everyone cheats at SCG events. Your prerelease is sealed right, so why worry about draft?

oneofchaos
posted July 07, 2012 01:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
Pre-releases are sealed right? I wouldn't go into it with the notion that you're playing green. Make the best possible deck you can with the cards you open. Note: If you're playing at SCG, you can probably trade with other people before deckbuilding (tic)

I'd think a prerelease has to got to be the hardest event to cheat at right?

rats60
posted July 07, 2012 01:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
I'd think a prerelease has to got to be the hardest event to cheat at right?

Only at the first one. Also, with the base set, you have those half decks that were already released with M13 cards in them.

helpmehelpyou
posted July 07, 2012 04:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for helpmehelpyou Click Here to Email helpmehelpyou Send a private message to helpmehelpyou Click to send helpmehelpyou an Instant MessageVisit helpmehelpyou's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View helpmehelpyou's Have/Want ListView helpmehelpyou's Have/Want List
avoid playing that goblin boss guy
he seems really good.. but i seen him in action today and he wasnt that impressive.

since you want him alive and making goblins you cant really attack or block with him.
and the 1/1 tokens are nice but they are very easy to fly/trample past in m13 limited.

you basically have to be winning already for him to be good.. since he is not the type of bomb that can dig you out of a hole. if your opponent has more pressure and you drop boss hes not going to be relevent fast enough.

coolio
posted July 07, 2012 05:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'd rather play six more months of avacyn

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

AGO
posted July 07, 2012 08:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Play Sublime Archangel, roll face across deck and battlefield, Win...

Zeckk
posted July 07, 2012 08:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
I'd rather play six more months of avacyn

You are insane. I'm done drafting a set that leaves everyone at the table struggling for playables, then scooping to a green uncommon card.

M13 limited is rather fun. I'm glad we are back in a format that actually presents options within each color regarding removal, threats, mana curve, and archetype. Black and white both have multiple hard removal cards, red has one of the best commons in Chandra's Fury, green is chock full of creature synergies, and blue has it's traditional arsenal of fliers and tempo cards.

Honestly, I think red is the strongest color in limited right now. Between cleaver riot, the removal, and the extremely under-rated uncommon bombs like Arms Dealer Flames of the Firebrand, you have so many cards that are simply live draws at all times.

choco man
posted July 07, 2012 08:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
You are insane. I'm done drafting a set that leaves everyone at the table struggling for playables, then scooping to a green uncommon card.

M13 limited is rather fun. I'm glad we are back in a format that actually presents options within each color regarding removal, threats, mana curve, and archetype. Black and white both have multiple hard removal cards, red has one of the best commons in Chandra's Fury, green is chock full of creature synergies, and blue has it's traditional arsenal of fliers and tempo cards.

Honestly, I think red is the strongest color in limited right now. Between cleaver riot, the removal, and the extremely under-rated uncommon bombs like Arms Dealer Flames of the Firebrand, you have so many cards that are simply live draws at all times.

The set isn't even released yet. Are things under-rated already?

thror
posted July 07, 2012 08:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:

Who the hell underrates Arc Lightning in limited??? The same people that underrate lightning bolt, fireball, and mind control?

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

WeeJiggler
posted July 08, 2012 12:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeeJiggler Click Here to Email WeeJiggler Send a private message to WeeJiggler Click to send WeeJiggler an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't honestly read the forums enough to be able to comment on your feelings towards Zeckk, but he's 100% right about AVR and M13. AVR if you were playing with anyone who knew AT ALL what they were doing, you couldn't count on anything of value to table, so you were lucky to get even 7-8 playables out of each pack. 24 playables at the very best is super loose. If you drafted a bomb AVR was super fun! But only for you, because Bonfire of the Damned was a guaranteed first place, and no one else had any fun, unless you're just awful. But, about M13...

I've gotten first in two Sealed so far. First night was B/W/R (I know it sounds dumb, but it was insaaaane) with 2 Divine Verdict, 1 O-Ring, 1 Pacifism, 2 Searing Spear for removal and tons of just good creatures (Bloodseeker Bat does so much work, more than you'd think).

Second night was B/G/w with 2 Murder, 2 Prey Upon, and a Pacifism for removal and then just big beefy creatures to do work.

I guess my point is: Green seems strong for it's creatures, Black/White have great removal. Every Ring except the Red one is just infinite value, sometimes even if you're not the right color. M13 seems pretty balanced overall, and I don't think going in thinking "I SHOULD TRY FOR THIS COLOR!" Like green was for AVR is the correct way to approach it.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by WeeJiggler on July 08, 2012]

Zeckk
posted July 08, 2012 03:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by thror:
Who the hell underrates Arc Lightning in limited??? The same people that underrate lightning bolt, fireball, and mind control?

Mostly newer players. Obviously, pre-releases are the best time to take advantage of having good card evaluation skills, and while I'm aware of how good the arc lightning reprint is, some people aren't - they just see a 3 mana sorcery speed bolt.

Personally, I under-rated the hell out of chandra's fury. I simply hadn't realized that every single color is full of 1-toughness dudes that see plenty of play, and even a low-curve aggro deck can get a ton of mileage out of the card. I found myself siding in both of my furies every every game 1 in the pre-release. I placed 2nd and 4th today in the events, despite going undefeated for the first event (tiebreakers). First deck was a zero-rare Boros deck filled with 2-drop grizzly bears and a lot of removal. Second deck was G/b/w stompy with the splash adding some exalted protection knights, hard removal, and 2 healer of the prides. Those healers are insane - they end up putting out like 10-16 over the course of a game if they go unanswered, and the 2/3 body is very relevant. I got to live the dream in 2 matches with roaring primadox + elvish visionary and then primadox + acidic slime.

I plan on doing drafts tomorrow, and the high density of playables in every color is quite refreshing.

@Flophaus - Sorry, just in my nature to... aggressively discuss things. Certainly seems like a better alternative than letting misinformation or ignorance go unchallenged. And besides, it's not like this is MTGS, where the sheer flood of posters prevents an intelligent debate on any given subject.

Kyosukee
posted July 08, 2012 06:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kyosukee Send a private message to Kyosukee Click to send Kyosukee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm more curious to what the whatever is, in "Zeckk or w/e"

Zubat?! ZODIAC?!

Absurd90
posted July 08, 2012 07:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Absurd90 Click Here to Email Absurd90 Send a private message to Absurd90 Click to send Absurd90 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
What would you guys have built from this pool?

Black:
Xathrid Gorgon
Vile Rebirth
Duty-Bound Dead
Dark Favor x2
Ravenous Rats
Servant of Nefarox
Sign in Blood x2
Zombie Goliath
Crippling Blight

Blue:
Sphinx of Uthuun
Encrust x2
Sleep
Essence Scatter
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
Tricks of the Trade
Negate
Court Provocateur
Kraken Hatchling x2
Vedalken Entrancer
Downpour
Divination

Red:
Fervor
Rewind
Goblin Battle Jester
Volcanic Strength
Kindled Fury
Turn to Slag
Wall of Fire
Fire Elemental
Crimson Muckwader
Chandra's Fury
Bladetusk Boar
Trumpet Blast
Cleaver Riot
Reckless Brute
Wild Guess
Dragon Hatchling
Mindclaw Shaman
Searing Spear

Green:
Boundless Realms
Serpent's Gift
Naturalize x2
Bountiful Harvest
Fog
Spiked Baloth
Vastwood Gorger
Duskdale Wurm
Prey Upon x2
Yeva's Forcemage x2
Fungal Sprouting
Garruk's Packleader

White:
Rhox Faithmender
War Falcon x2
Divine Favor
Erase
Warclamp Mastiff
Pillarfield Ox
Healer of the Pride
Captain's Call
Aven Squire
War Priest of Thune
Pacifism x2
Battleflight Eagle
Guardians of Akrasa
Show of Valor
Safe Passage
Serra Angel

Artifact:
Ring of Kalonia
Phyrexian Hulk
Yayemdae Tome
Gem of Becoming
Ring of Xathrid
Chronomaton

Land:
Downed Catacomb

Cant be arsed to autolink all when it always goes on top of the page once I have linked 1 card...

I went with G/W beats as I had 2 pacifiscm and 2 prey upon and same ok life gain synergy/token makers. It was still horrible and I lost match 1 to guy with multiple Murders and green deathtouch guys + vampire nighthawk. Match 2 I lost to guy with the new green overrun and captain of the watch and plenty of value guys.

The pool had one 3 mana costing manafixer which activation also costs 3, so splashing 3rd color seemed awkward. I had very few ways to deal with flyers in the entire pool as well... All in all horrible experience once again.

Zeckk
posted July 08, 2012 04:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
You had to go R/W. It has enough removal to let you keep pace with the other decks, and the synergy between white token-makers and cleaver riot lets you win games you had no business winning. Also, that's the only color combination I see that even comes close to having relevant board plays before turn 3.

Granted, it sucks that you didn't get playable bombs in any solid color (I personally had to pass up Nefarox and Liliana in my pool for a no-rare R/W aggro deck), but removal in this format answers just about every problem card in this limited meta.

Bagbokk
posted July 08, 2012 05:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would've went GW or RW, but your pool kinda sucked.

daner
posted July 08, 2012 05:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
I would have went with 18 lands and splashed the Gorgon rare into any deck I came up with. That card is stupid, and wins matches by itself if you're not brain damaged.

flophaus
posted July 08, 2012 05:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
I would have went with 18 lands and splashed the Gorgon rare into any deck I came up with. That card is stupid, and wins matches by itself if you're not brain damaged.

I was surprised to see that it was worth so little.

Solidarity
posted July 08, 2012 06:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Solidarity Send a private message to Solidarity Click to send Solidarity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daner:

It's way too slow

That and Staff of Nin... with all the super aggro exalted beats, board position will already be pretty much decided by the time you can drop it.

Bagbokk
posted July 08, 2012 08:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Solidarity:
It's way too slow

That and Staff of Nin... with all the super aggro exalted beats, board position will already be pretty much decided by the time you can drop it.

It depends entirely on what people pulled, though. I got my face smashed in by one super-aggro Exalted beats one match out of the 7 total that I played this weekend, and it was my only loss. And it was partly because he had a Knight of Infamy, and I was running GW. 6 casting cost is not hard to get to, and creatures coming out that late will still matter a lot of the time. If you have to rely on one or two cards because the rest of your pool sucked, you just need to stall long enough with other crap along the way.

From his list, between Healer of the Pride, Captain's Call, Rhox Faithmender (especially with the two aforementioned cards), 2 Pacifisms, Divine Favor, Safe Passage, Fog, 2 Prey Upon, etc... he can probably live long enough for the Gorgon to become relevant. Healer of the Pride has stabilized me in a TON of games from early aggro.

= = = = =

Today's deck (3-0):

Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Faith's Reward
3 Safe Passage
Aven Squire
Healer of the Pride
Griffin Protector
War Priest of Thune
Attended Knight
Pacifism
Silvercoat Lion
Pillarfield Ox
Prized Elephant
Serra Angel

Sentinel Spider
2 Arbor Elf
Elvish Visionary
2 Centaur Courser
Flinthoof Boar
Deadly Recluse
Farseek

Evolving Wilds
Plains & Forests

Other pulls in pool:

Nicol Bolas
Vampire Nocturnus
Void Stalker
Redirect

I didn't pull anything in either black or red again, really. None of the burn spells listed above in this thread. No Murders or Vampire Nighthawks or enough of anything to run either of those two colors. I made a RUB deck that wasn't half-bad to have a little fun playing Nicol Bolas and Vampire Nocturnus, but it wouldn't have been terribly viable in a real match.

[Edited 5 times, lastly by Bagbokk on July 08, 2012]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League