Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  thoughts on best finisher for Elves!

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   thoughts on best finisher for Elves!
Keegs
posted June 25, 2012 05:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Keegs Click Here to Email Keegs Send a private message to Keegs Click to send Keegs an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Keegs's Have/Want ListView Keegs's Have/Want List
Okay, so I have been playing legacy elves for many many months now, and have reduced the list of best finishers to this:

Creature:
Mirror Entity - Infinite mana combo, provides beatdown finish as well.
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn - Destroys permanents (Glacial Chasm I'm looking at you) and offers an uncounterable kill-con.

Non-Creatures:
Grapeshot - Finisher of choice for Berlin. Doubles as an uncounterable kill-con and sweeper alike.
Banefire - More narrow than Grapeshot, but cannot be prevented or redirected (in addition to being uncounterable).
Mortarpod - Doubles as both efficient removal and kill-con (though costly, but really a moot point considering it is elves).

I would like to get the number of finishers maindeck down to one, so as I open up the possibility of incorporating a Living Wish package maindeck.

Also, thoughts of Mentor of the Meek in elves?

MeddlingMage
posted June 25, 2012 06:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
My Elf deck finisher was always Fireball.

Staff of Domination+Priest of Titania+lots of elves=infinite mana

~MM

CM Punk "OMG Kevin Nash WTF, thought he was dead, LOL"

New keeper of the Logout button

AlmostGrown
posted June 25, 2012 08:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
For legacy, I prefer Emrakul/lots of elves on the field.

thror
posted June 25, 2012 08:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
Green suns zenith + ezuri, renegade leader.

You should probably be playing GSZ anyway.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Zeckk
posted June 25, 2012 09:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Can't annihilate glacial chasm if you can't attack...

The latest SCG Open was a rather convincing argument as to why mirror entity is the better finisher.

thror
posted June 25, 2012 09:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
Can't annihilate glacial chasm if you can't attack...

The latest SCG Open was a rather convincing argument as to why mirror entity is the better finisher.

reread glacial chasm

'Creatures YOU (the owner) control cannot attack'
'Prevent all damage dealt to you'

Emrakul still annihilates their face.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Myy
posted June 26, 2012 07:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
I used to run brain Freeze and concordant crossroads

Keegs
posted June 26, 2012 08:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Keegs Click Here to Email Keegs Send a private message to Keegs Click to send Keegs an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Keegs's Have/Want ListView Keegs's Have/Want List
My first iteration had crossroads and ezuri, but that seemed just worse than emrakul. Then, I was using emrakul for a while, but there was just no synergy with the rest of the deck. Plus, seeing him in your opener is just depressing. Then, I switched to entity and grapeshot and while quite pleased with grapeshot, entity didn't do it for me. In one rug delver match, against imminent death, I wiped the board of 3 delvers with grapeshot.

I am quite certain that a sole kill con is enough because in a pinch, archdruids give enough of a boost that swarm tactics are just fine. As such, I think I would like the versatility of a grapeshot, banefire, or mortarpod, with living wish serving as a great backup.

Link139232
posted July 06, 2012 07:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
This is a dumb question, but how does mirror entity provide infinite mana?

And yeah, I think Banefire is probably the best option, though I still love Predator Dragon

Emrakul is good too.

choco man
posted July 06, 2012 01:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Link139232:
This is a dumb question, but how does mirror entity provide infinite mana?

And yeah, I think Banefire is probably the best option, though I still love Predator Dragon

Emrakul is good too.

Wirewood Symbiote gets turned into an Elf. So you can bounce itself and untap Mirror Entity. When you replay Symbiote, it untaps Nettle Sentinel.

So Symbiote, Mirror Entity, and Nettle Sentinel are 3 dudes that you can tap for Heritage Druid. You net 1 mana each time. 1 to activate Entity + 1 to replay Symbiote.

Zeckk
posted July 06, 2012 06:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Keegs:
My first iteration had crossroads and ezuri, but that seemed just worse than emrakul. Then, I was using emrakul for a while, but there was just no synergy with the rest of the deck. Plus, seeing him in your opener is just depressing. Then, I switched to entity and grapeshot and while quite pleased with grapeshot, entity didn't do it for me. In one rug delver match, against imminent death, I wiped the board of 3 delvers with grapeshot.

I am quite certain that a sole kill con is enough because in a pinch, archdruids give enough of a boost that swarm tactics are just fine. As such, I think I would like the versatility of a grapeshot, banefire, or mortarpod, with living wish serving as a great backup.

Most lists aren't running archdruid because it affects the curve, which is actually pretty important between going off turn 3 vs turn 4.

Absurd90
posted July 07, 2012 06:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Absurd90 Click Here to Email Absurd90 Send a private message to Absurd90 Click to send Absurd90 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Emrakul

or combination of emrakul and mirror entity?

mm1983
posted July 07, 2012 08:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Best finisher of elves by far has to be Extinction, but seriously I've found that anything with an Overrun type of effect works as the best finisher in an elf deck. Ezuri Renegade Leader, Garruk Wildspeaker, Triumph of the Hordes if going the infect route, or simply Overrun.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mm1983 on July 07, 2012]

coolio
posted July 07, 2012 08:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
mirror entity alone is fine.

you DONT always have to combo off.. *gasp* shocker.. go watch gp atl rd11 when i played vs kibler.. it's on youtube.. (and yes, i've already reviewed it and noted my lack of optimizing on certain plays)

my advice for the (or any legacy combo) deck is not to be too tunnel vision on the combo aspect of it.. the deck is not as linear as you think it is.. many games/matches were won on the backs of nettle sentinel swinging in every turn for 6+ turns

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

Zeckk
posted July 08, 2012 03:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
mirror entity alone is fine.

you DONT always have to combo off.. *gasp* shocker.. go watch gp atl rd11 when i played vs kibler.. it's on youtube.. (and yes, i've already reviewed it and noted my lack of optimizing on certain plays)

my advice for the (or any legacy combo) deck is not to be too tunnel vision on the combo aspect of it.. the deck is not as linear as you think it is.. many games/matches were won on the backs of nettle sentinel swinging in every turn for 6+ turns

©

A fair point. That's a big reason why RUG Delver struggles so hard against elves once they develop a board presence - Elves simply stagnates the board to the point that only a flipped delver is going to push RUG's game forward, while elves gets to throw their board into you every turn and simply use symbiotes to screw any tempo deck from gaining a superior clock.

Heresy19
posted July 08, 2012 10:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Heresy19 Click Here to Email Heresy19 Send a private message to Heresy19 Click to send Heresy19 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Heresy19's Have/Want ListView Heresy19's Have/Want List
Mirror Entity : Gives you inifinite mana and makes your elves infinite/infinite.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League