Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  How do you catalog your collection(s)?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How do you catalog your collection(s)?
ninjason
posted January 01, 2011 09:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ninjason Send a private message to ninjason Click to send ninjason an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I've made a New Year's resolution to get my ever expanding Magic collection under control and produce a trade list that makes some sense (including separate have and want lists!).

Do any of you use tools to manage, catalog, and document your various collection(s) and trade lists? I've heard of Magic Workstation and it seems intriguing, but before I start down any particular path and put the effort into cataloging mass amounts of cards, I thought I'd check with the experts. Here is the URL if you want to check out what Magic Workstation can do. http://www.magicworkstation.com/

Thanks for your comments.

Myysterio
posted January 02, 2011 05:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myysterio Click Here to Email Myysterio Send a private message to Myysterio Click to send Myysterio an Instant MessageVisit Myysterio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myysterio's Have/Want ListView Myysterio's Have/Want List
I use excel spreadsheets. They cant be beat for dealing with other people's tradelists, comparing to yours and all that other crap. Just sayin.

nderdog
posted January 02, 2011 07:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Magic Suitcase has always done great for me. No need to type in card names manually and has methods for importing MOTL prices, filtering and lots of useful stuff.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

Tranderas
posted January 02, 2011 08:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tranderas Click Here to Email Tranderas Click to send Tranderas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tranderas's Trade Auction or SaleView Tranderas's Trade Auction or Sale
I have a small collection of stuff i "trade" and most of my stuff I actually care about is kept in a safe place. This is how my cards are kept:

* A 3200-ct box for my bulk commons (plus a fat pack box when it outgrew that box)
* An 800-ct box for my bulk uncommons (plus a fat pack box)
* A series of 800-ct boxes for my basic lands
* A small plastic 150-ct box for holding cards i've drawn on, to use as proxy backings (i usually type out the text of the card, print it out, cut it out and put it in the sleeve with the backer)
* A binder appropriately named "stuff i collect" to hold all of the rares I want to keep + cards I collect, such as my Chatter of the Squirrel and Firebolt collection
* A binder, sorted by color and alphabetically, of rares I would be willing to trade
* A fat pack box of commons and uncommons, sorted by color and alphabetically, that I want to keep for swapping in and out of decks or because I will use them for a deck in the near future.

It's clearly not the most efficient method, but it works for me. I don't trade anymore, really, just buy and sell cards as I change decks or need to get rid of excess junk, so there's no need for me to keep a massive, updated list of cards I have for that purpose.

JoshSherman
posted January 02, 2011 08:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
My rares are sorted by color, by mana cost*, then alphabetically.

My uncommons are in stacks sorted by set.

My commons are in booster boxes of the set the cards are from.

I have four more copies of every card in my trade binder and don't trade out of my playsets for any reason.

*Not CMC. First I sort them by the number of colored nmana symbols, then I sort those piles by their CMC, then alphabetize them.

Personally, based on the size of my collection, I don't ever have to wonder if I have a common or uncommon card. I know if I have the big ones, and the rest don't matter.

Coincidence? I think not.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by JoshSherman on January 02, 2011]

Nitelite
posted January 04, 2011 01:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
mtgstudio.com

By far the best cataloging program available for Magic. Multiple price guides are built into it including MOTL and the author continuously updates the program, often implementing ideas that users request.

Registering the program is $20, but you can use the trial for 30 days free. It is a great program and well worth registering. You get every update from there on out free

shaselai
posted January 10, 2011 09:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for shaselai Click Here to Email shaselai Send a private message to shaselai Click to send shaselai an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
i have 2 collections (angels/dragons) in 2 closed in binders sorted by set and alphabetically within the set. My other binder has everything else for trade etc.

Thanos
posted January 18, 2011 07:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitelite:
mtgstudio.com

By far the best cataloging program available for Magic. Multiple price guides are built into it including MOTL and the author continuously updates the program, often implementing ideas that users request.

Registering the program is $20, but you can use the trial for 30 days free. It is a great program and well worth registering. You get every update from there on out free

I've tried downloading this, but every time I open it there is an error.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using MS Word to open it, any suggestions?

joz
Banned
posted January 18, 2011 07:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I put them in a big pile in a card box sorted by color.

And then make a list on my computer in notepad.

I'm not sure if that counts as being lazy, but I just don't like binders full of cards. Exepct for my Dark Rit, Counterspell, Elder Dragons and Grixis colllection; which I have 1 binder for.

Nitelite
posted January 18, 2011 10:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

I've tried downloading this, but every time I open it there is an error.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using MS Word to open it, any suggestions?

Its a zip file, so need Winzip, Winrar, or 7zip to open it. Then just extract the exe and run it.

Thanos
posted January 18, 2011 10:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitelite:
Its a zip file, so need Winzip, Winrar, or 7zip to open it. Then just extract the exe and run it.

Got it, thanks

ninjason
posted January 19, 2011 04:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ninjason Send a private message to ninjason Click to send ninjason an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I posted the same question on the Magic Librarities forum.

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7543

There have been numerous interesting replies including pictures.

davef139
posted January 19, 2011 07:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for davef139 Click Here to Email davef139 Send a private message to davef139 Click to send davef139 an Instant MessageVisit davef139's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Im in the process of developing an app for myself which will serialize everything in my collecting and allow me to database and track things, I have some 1.5milliong cards so I need something a bit more robust then a random access database. On my flight to ATL this friday ill prob start drawing up plans for database construction and formating of serizliation to standardize, I may consider making it a more open poject once i get things going.

techsonic1
posted January 29, 2011 09:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for techsonic1 Click Here to Email techsonic1 Send a private message to techsonic1 Click to send techsonic1 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I use mtgstudio, and although it has some area's that need improvement, I believe its probably the best for large collections. And I am a fan of it...

For collection organization I break everything into 4 categories: english regular, english foil, foreign regular, foreign foil and run unique databases for each. Then dig down by set, by color, alphabetical on the physical organizing of cards... If you have the time for that sort of stuff. mtgstudio has a location column for each card so you can actually list cards that are in different places (downstairs, upstairs, home, work, etc)

I'm sitting at about 78 000 english regular, 22 000 english foil, 26 000 foreign regular and about 5 000 foreign foil.

The pricing with mtgstudio is incorrect on any card printed in alpha, beta, etc, but the software developer
is working on a functional standard dev pricing system.

The ability to add mass collections is a very nice feature (just acquired a collection with 8 complete sets, sets were added in under a minute), and after you get used to the program its very solid. And I'm impressed with the card art grabber to show the correct card art and versions (requires internet connection)

A recent update brought sealed product into the program (decks, boosters, booster boxes' etc) which was very nice as I carry a very large amount of sealed product.

I usually run my own pricing on a spreadsheet that I export from mtgstudio, future updates promise a better pricing system but for now its out to lunch. There is the ability to put columns into the program to place your own buy and sell pricing on a card though, so that can be used as a price column if wanted.

Anyways, its free to try for 30 days i believe, so I'd give it a shot and see. I picked it after going through the forum and seeing the ongoing development with it, so perhaps you might want to look through that. Its at www.mtgstudio.com

joz
Banned
posted January 29, 2011 09:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The only thing in a binder is my Grixis collection,Counterspells, Hymn to Tourachs, Dark Rituals and Unhinged/Unglued collection.

My trade rares are in a Magic 2010 box with my dice and my extra commons and uncommon that aren't worth trading get handed out as giant piles of free cards whenever I go to a card shop or so.

Volcanon
posted January 29, 2011 01:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Aside from money rares and my cube, I don't catalog my collection. The fact that it's split up between three cities and two continents makes things harder. Too much work.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League