Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Help with a JingHe token, is it real or counterfeit?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Help with a JingHe token, is it real or counterfeit?
Nyarlathotep333
posted January 25, 2017 11:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nyarlathotep333 Click Here to Email Nyarlathotep333 Send a private message to Nyarlathotep333 Click to send Nyarlathotep333 an Instant MessageVisit Nyarlathotep333's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I bought a JingHe Angel token on eBay recently and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. The bottom edge of the card looks odd to me.

First off, I'll start by saying that the text doesn't look blurry to me, the printing pattern (rosette) is present, and the dots in the rosette pattern looks pretty solid to me as well so I am initially inclined to believe that it is real. I have a pretty good magnifying glass and was able to get some decent photos uploaded to Dropbox.

What I am seeing though is that the bottom of the card has a raised edge (looks to me like it was from the factory die stamp perhaps), but when the light hits it just right it almost looks like the surface of the card is some sort of film that is slightly peeling back. The really odd thing is that it doesn't actually appear to be the case. I can't see any actual separation on the card edge. It is hard to explain what I am seeing though...photos may be more useful here. Below is the link to the Dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lwldwhi38qhk58g/AAAvg_NSp95JyiuxWfUyK7NCa?dl=0

The close up shots of the edge is all from the bottom of the card where the raised edge is.

I don't own any other JingHe tokens, so I can't compare this one to see if there are similarities. IS there anyone here that collects these tokens who could check out the photos I have in my Dropbox and help me determine if this is a real token and not a counterfeit? I did some searching online, but didn't see any talk of the counterfeit JingHe tokens, but once again I've got no frame of reference to compare mine with.

Any help with this is much appreciated.

paragondave
posted January 26, 2017 10:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
looks like chipping to me. Some of the Expedition lands were produced with a similar flaw. It looks similar to what happens with a lot of well loved gold border cards from Champs decks.

Nyarlathotep333
posted January 26, 2017 07:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nyarlathotep333 Click Here to Email Nyarlathotep333 Send a private message to Nyarlathotep333 Click to send Nyarlathotep333 an Instant MessageVisit Nyarlathotep333's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ahh, OK. I haven't seen anything like what you described that I can compare it with side by side. It is good to know that kind of error exists though. It hopefully means that what I have is legitimate. Thanks for the speedy reply!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League