Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Counterfeit card detection using a loupe - how do you do this?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Counterfeit card detection using a loupe - how do you do this?
jshields
posted April 03, 2015 08:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I am almost certain this is in the wrong forum, but for a while, I have primarily been using the older test of using a bright flashlight to check for the slight transparency of cards as a counterfeit detection system. I have also used a damp Q-tip in the past after hearing that ink can run on the faces of counterfeit cards, but have avoided this for years. However, when I have been to game stores, many dealers including the Star City buyers have been using loupes to detect fake Magic cards, especially the very high value ones.

I know I can buy a loupe at various stores, but is there anywhere that I can find instructions on how to use one from a website or document to check for defects such as seem // edge issues that can be seen on fakes? Also, what strength of loupes do people recommend?

I am trying to buy some Revised dual lands for a few casual decks, but have been given fake dual lands a couple of times in the past (Luckily, I was able to get each of these lands refunded after consulting with the Star City dealers when I tried unwittingly to sell them for booster boxes). Any advice is appreciated for this newb to counterfeit detection?

killakyle
posted April 03, 2015 08:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for killakyle Click to send killakyle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View killakyle's Have/Want ListView killakyle's Have/Want List
I recommend an 8x magnifier loop used to look at black and white negatives. What I do is I take the card out of the sleeve and place it on a white piece of printer paper against a dark surface. I look through the loop and you will see the printing pattern, if you look carefully, there will be small specs of white between the printing pattern, which should be consistent throughout. If it is a fake that has been printed over, you should see the inconsistency in the printing pattern throughout. However, I recently had an experience with a professionally printed fake of a Bayou, that even the printing pattern was correct. You also have to realize, some cards from revised and before, were slightly different shades and such, due to the printing reels for the uncut sheets not being cleaned, and other such inconsistent maintenance. I would go to a LGS that has a verified real dual, and ask to compare patterns, as well as other spot's of concern. Hope this helps!

~Kyle

LandDestroyer
posted April 03, 2015 09:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
Here is the loupe I bought
http://www.amazon.com/Illuminated-Jewelers-Loupe-40x-25mm-Lighting/dp/B007GJJRZC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427465874&sr=8-3&keywords=jewelers+loupe+led

You can use it for the light test too. I suggest using it to look at cards from the set in question that you know are real. Then compare cards as you receive them to those cards. By comparing to known real cards you'll learn what the correct dot pattern looks like, etc.

tried to post information

http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/026501.html
/
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/30a4xa/what_are_all_of_the_different_fakes_you_all_are/

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League