Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Curled foils

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Curled foils
Pita
posted January 24, 2015 06:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pita Click Here to Email Pita Send a private message to Pita Click to send Pita an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pita's Have/Want ListView Pita's Have/Want List
I have a stack of foils that are really annoying me because they are curled. I have another stack of foils which seem to be fine. I'm not sure how one stack curls and one doesn't.

Does anyone know how I can fix curled foils? I tried bending one back but it only helped a bit. I also put a stack of books on top of some of them but it didn't do anything either.

Pail42
posted January 25, 2015 04:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I store bulk foils in old tournament pack boxes. I alternate the facing of each card so they cant all work together. It doesn't prevent them from getting a little bend but it does keep them reasonable, and it works better the more I can pack in there. For nicer cards I store back-to-back inside the same sleeve.

They were all badly curled when I started storing this way and they are playable now, but it probably takes months.

Storing in a low humidity environment also helps. Foils bend because the cardboard absorbs/loses moisture from the water in the atmosphere. The more moisture they absorb the bigger the cardboard gets and it makes them curl around the foil.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Pail42 on January 25, 2015]

JensK
posted January 25, 2015 04:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JensK Click Here to Email JensK Send a private message to JensK Click to send JensK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTmubrS8VnI&feature=youtu.be

Pita
posted February 01, 2015 02:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pita Click Here to Email Pita Send a private message to Pita Click to send Pita an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pita's Have/Want ListView Pita's Have/Want List
I'm not sure if it's just my imagination but I think my cards from the most recent sets are curling more than usual. Anyone else notice the same?

chaos021
posted February 01, 2015 03:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Pita:
I'm not sure if it's just my imagination but I think my cards from the most recent sets are curling more than usual. Anyone else notice the same?

And faster than I remember.

My Sale Thread

Child of Gaea
posted February 05, 2015 01:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Child of Gaea Click Here to Email Child of Gaea Send a private message to Child of Gaea Click to send Child of Gaea an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Child of Gaea's Have/Want ListView Child of Gaea's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Pita:

Absolutely true. I have the unique perspective of playing and collecting when foils first started and then quitting and not seeing any for ten years. My old foils are still not bent. They are stored exactly the same as my standard cards which are all curled in varying degrees.i do think storing them on the side helps, but it may just be my imagination. Pita regardless...

jellyfishfanatic
posted February 06, 2015 08:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jellyfishfanatic Click Here to Email jellyfishfanatic Send a private message to jellyfishfanatic Click to send jellyfishfanatic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want ListView jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want List
My experience has been to sleeve them and slip them into binder pages. The resting pressure (assuming a partially full binder) will help them return to flat. Be aware of humidity levels where you're storing them too.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League