Magic Discussion
  Waivers (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Waivers
ryanghall
posted March 08, 2014 11:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryanghall Click Here to Email ryanghall Send a private message to ryanghall Click to send ryanghall an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryanghall's Have/Want ListView ryanghall's Have/Want List
I've been around here a long time. There are a few people who've been on this site longer than I have, but not a whole lot.

Back in "the day", there was no such thing as asking someone to sign a waiver. MOTL rules state, and for good reason, that it is the senders responsibility to make sure that the cards arrive. At some point, and I'm not sure when, some smartass must have decided that they'd only do deals if other members were stupid enough to go along with signing a waiver, relieving them of their responsibility of making sure the cards arrive. People must have wanted the cards so badly that they said, "sure, ok!" so others started doing it. Now it's rampant.

It's so rampant, in fact, that more than one member has recently asked me to sign a waiver on cards that are under $50. I have 203 references and have been on the site for over 12 years. These deals are on buys, so they would be getting the money first via Paypal. But that's apparently not good enough. See, they want me to sign a waiver because they think I'm going to rip them or something?

One word.

Dumb.

These people, if we were trading, would never ask for a waiver. They'd be fine with a simulsend. But when buying, now a waiver is needed? Huh? It makes zero sense. They're simply making an unreasonable request because, frankly, they're selfish (and apparently have a lot to learn about sales).

So what I encourage people with high ref counts (certainly over 100) to do is to refuse to sign waivers. Nobody with 100 references on this site should ever have to sign a waiver. You have proven many times that your word is good and that's worth something.

I know I won't be signing them. You can keep your cards. There's plenty of other places to get them.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by ryanghall on March 08, 2014]

jb231
posted March 08, 2014 11:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jb231 Click Here to Email jb231 Send a private message to jb231 Click to send jb231 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jb231's Have/Want ListView jb231's Have/Want List
It's understandable, I haven't been on this site that long but I decided to sell off some staples and would require this from anyone buying from me. PWE is just that, I drop it into the box and after that I don't really have any control of what happens to it. Tracking out of Canada starts at like 15$ in my experience which completely changes the viability of deals unless they're quite large. I've also seen PWEs get completely destroyed in the mail then show up months later in a baggy shredded in half, I don't really feel like it's the sellers fault for that either.

Overall I think it's just easier to make people who don't want to pay for tracking wave responsibility if you're trying to sell. There are some clever ways I've seen people try to get around this and still con me but it really reduces it quite a bit from what I can tell. I've had some "reputable" members of this site force me to send first in trades while also making me wave responsibility and the cards involved in the trade changed value significantly during transit and my package allegedly never arrived.

I'd personally like see people get rated badly if they have a history of not receiving PWEs/their PWEs not arriving or they have a history of pulling other tricks such as "you forgot to put a card into the package, please send another". At least then people could go into deals knowing they might get ripped so they'll invest in tracking.

EDIT: I've also dealt with some good members that force waives on PWEs but when I reported to them (just to let them know something went wrong) they offered a fresh set of cards. They simply force waivers to weed out the rippers initially.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by jb231 on March 08, 2014]

ryanghall
posted March 08, 2014 11:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryanghall Click Here to Email ryanghall Send a private message to ryanghall Click to send ryanghall an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryanghall's Have/Want ListView ryanghall's Have/Want List
And if someone has like 4 references, I can totally understand it and even encourage it. But the sellers need to use some common sense.

And yes, I'm starting to see the old "Oh, I didn't get all of the cards" lately and it's a disturbing trend. Never seen it from a 100+ ref member, though.

chaos021
posted March 08, 2014 11:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by ryanghall:
And if someone has like 4 references, I can totally understand it and even encourage it. But the sellers need to use some common sense.

And yes, I'm starting to see the old "Oh, I didn't get all of the cards" lately and it's a disturbing trend. Never seen it from a 100+ ref member, though.

So you're arguing for principle alone then? I guess you must have forgotten about this bull****.

Good luck with your crusade. I mean that.

My Sale Thread

ryanghall
posted March 09, 2014 12:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryanghall Click Here to Email ryanghall Send a private message to ryanghall Click to send ryanghall an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryanghall's Have/Want ListView ryanghall's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
So you're arguing for principle alone then? I guess you must have forgotten about this bull****.

Good luck with your crusade. I mean that.

And sending a waiver allows YOU to do that.

Also, congrats on picking one case out of thousands (perhaps tens of thousands?) of packages sent to members with over 100 refs. Guessing you don't know a lot about variance and odds?

junichi
posted March 09, 2014 12:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Stuff

Did you pay for trackable shipping from US to Canada? If you didn't, then people will ask you to sign a waiver.

My word of advise: Pay for registered shipping and you won't have to deal with these things.

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

ryanghall
posted March 09, 2014 12:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryanghall Click Here to Email ryanghall Send a private message to ryanghall Click to send ryanghall an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryanghall's Have/Want ListView ryanghall's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:
Did you pay for trackable shipping from US to Canada? If you didn't, then people will ask you to sign a waiver.

My word of advise: Pay for registered shipping and you won't have to deal with these things.

Paying, what, $15 for international trackable shipping on a $50 card? I'm not sure if you're joking or not. In case you're not, no, I won't be doing that.

chaos021
posted March 09, 2014 12:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
And sending a waiver allows YOU to do that.

Also, congrats on picking one case out of thousands (perhaps tens of thousands?) of packages sent to members with over 100 refs. Guessing you don't know a lot about variance and odds?

That BTA is THE reason all this crap that you're talking about started. If you can't get that, I'm not sure why you're still on this site.

My Sale Thread

jb231
posted March 09, 2014 12:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jb231 Click Here to Email jb231 Send a private message to jb231 Click to send jb231 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jb231's Have/Want ListView jb231's Have/Want List
quote:
Paying, what, $15 for international trackable shipping on a $50 card? I'm not sure if you're joking or not. In case you're not, no, I won't be doing that.

I guess the point is you don't get to have your cake and eat it too, it's not fair to make someone send you a PWE and then they're on the hook for whatever happens to it after they drop it in the box. I'm not exactly sure how the ref system here works but I feel it would be better to have bad deals show up as bad refs - isn't that the whole point? If someone is making everyone sign a waiver and then those PWEs aren't showing up they should be held accountable to some degree by at least allowing others to make informed choices. A big problem I have sometimes is references don't really mean that much, what if that person with 100 refs has 5 PWEs that didn't show up lately?

junichi
posted March 09, 2014 12:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:

Then please don't complain about having to sign a waiver if you are unwilling to pay for proper shipping. There is no reason the seller should take on the risk when the buyer is too cheap to pay for tracking.

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

caquaa
posted March 09, 2014 01:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
There is no reason the seller should take on the risk when the buyer is too cheap to pay for tracking.

100% this. I don't even let people in the US choose PWE for shipping. Internationally I let the buyer make an informed decision, but you're getting what you pay for. if you don't want to pay for shipping, then I'm dropping it in the mail and wishing it luck, but no way am I going to be on the hook because you're not paying for the protection you're expecting.

WeedIan
posted March 09, 2014 04:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The reason why people have the waivers is because they arn't stores. We can't write off cards that are lost in the mail for tax purposes (i'm pretty sure this goes under some sort of theft/loss thing)

The mail for the most part in the US/Canada is great but things do get lost so if you can't take a loss on something pay for tracking. I don't for the most part sell things on MOTL unless i'm going to eat the loss or have tracking included in the price of what i'm selling.

9th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

Hooskdaddy
posted March 09, 2014 06:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
That BTA is THE reason all this crap that you're talking about started. If you can't get that, I'm not sure why you're still on this site.

That case isn't the reason this all started. People have been asking for waivers for years. There was one person who originally started it but can't remember his name ATM.

The fact is is that if people are stupid enough to not pay for tracking, then they are accepting a risk. When selling on eBay, personally anything I sell less than $8 gets shipped pwe. Anything from there to $15 goes pwe nonmachinable. Everything above that gets tracking. On eBay I take a calculated risk with the untracked stuff. With thousands of sales I've lost maybe 3. Those get automatically refunded.

So you can continue throwing that case back up in my face but the truth is that the rules now are more stable than they were prior to that case. The higher end sales have a more stable criteria than "back in the day". The mid range sales still have DC/tracking to protect. The low end have the "waiver" to cover them. If people don't use them then that's their own fault.

jbark
posted March 09, 2014 07:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
quote:
Then please don't complain about having to sign a waiver if you are unwilling to pay for proper shipping. There is no reason the seller should take on the risk when the buyer is too cheap to pay for tracking.

This is the only reason. If you don't want to pay it then I'm not liable especially overseas. Some people won't shell out $17 for $60 in cards to verify confirmation of shipment. As a seller would you take that hit?

ryanghall
posted March 09, 2014 07:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryanghall Click Here to Email ryanghall Send a private message to ryanghall Click to send ryanghall an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryanghall's Have/Want ListView ryanghall's Have/Want List
First of all, junichi, too cheap? I'm sorry but I don't know what to tell you if you pay $15 tracking on $50 cards.

Others, I guess I don't understand two things:

1) If you won't take that hit as a seller, why will you as a trader?

2) If the responsibility of risk is supposed to be on the part of the receiver, then why do MOTL rules state that it is the sender's responsibility to get the cards there?

It's pretty obvious why. The people in this thread have made condescending comments but have skirted around the main points I came up with.

braves54321
posted March 09, 2014 08:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for braves54321 Click Here to Email braves54321 Send a private message to braves54321 Click to send braves54321 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
First of all, junichi, too cheap? I'm sorry but I don't know what to tell you if you pay $15 tracking on $50 cards.

2) If the responsibility of risk is supposed to be on the part of the receiver, then why do MOTL rules state that it is the sender's responsibility to get the cards there?

It's pretty obvious why. The people in this thread have made condescending comments but have skirted around the main points I came up with.

You are being cheap. How can you reasonably expect a seller to take a risk sending something without tracking to someone you don't know? I understand the 100+ refs thing, but even if its just lost in the mail the seller has absolutely zero ability to even see if it was delivered. Its the sellers responsibility to get the cards there, if you want to pay for proper shipping.

You mention trades, if you don't do tracking on $50 trade, you better trust the other guy and be sure hes not going to just decide to say it never showed.

You should only be buying from people from within Canada then, so you can save on shipping. And even then I bet people from inside Canada won't send $50 in cards without tracking, or a waiver.

The rules state it is the sellers responsibility yes, but you are undermining the sellers ability to protect themselves.

I've sold a lot on here, not as much as some, but a waiver was pretty standard on my sales even back in 2005 if people didn't want to pay for the proper shipping.

Sounds like you should just be buying off ebay, where the buyers protected, just so you don't have to worry about not paying for proper shipping costs and while still not bearing any responsibility for those actions.

If the world was a perfect place, and everyone could be trusted, and mail was never lost there would be no need for waivers, but thats not the way it is.

pgrieco
posted March 09, 2014 08:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for pgrieco Click Here to Email pgrieco Send a private message to pgrieco Click to send pgrieco an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View pgrieco's Have/Want ListView pgrieco's Have/Want List
An option that may be viable for people is to send to a 3rd party and ask for a waiver of responsibility once the 3rd party provides proof that the shipment was sent out. I've used this option and have found both parties to be satisfied with the level of risk they have to take.

totalkaoz
posted March 09, 2014 09:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for totalkaoz Click Here to Email totalkaoz Send a private message to totalkaoz Click to send totalkaoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View totalkaoz's Have/Want ListView totalkaoz's Have/Want List
I agree with ryanghall here and I would NEVER waive responsibility. I would go as far to ask members under 100 refs to send me cards first and then pay for them afterwards. People used to be willing to do this with no issue but nowadays, it seems like even members with under 10 refs want you to pay paypal gift and ask to waive responsibility.

When trading, people have no issue sending first and don't ask for the waiver.

Isn't selling just a trade but with cash instead of cards?

Boston
posted March 09, 2014 09:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Boston Click Here to Email Boston Send a private message to Boston Click to send Boston an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Boston's Have/Want ListView Boston's Have/Want List
Unfortunately, it is being in Canada that "hurts" us on sales here. Since US traders can ship with tracking within the States for ~$3 there is no need for waiving liability as the cost is very reasonable. If they want to ship to Canada with tracking it is typically +$15, which is an unreasonable amount.

Personally I would estimate that 150 of my transactions on here were trades with both parties using pwe. Of those a total of 2 envelopes were lost out of a possible 300 (one going each way). Less than 1% lost/damaged. The odds are very low of something happening. If I am purchasing something from a reputable member I feel ok with waiving liability since I feel there is a <1% chance of something going wrong. If it is a larger purchase I will pay for tracking or look to buy it locally when my LGS has a sale.

With that being said, I don't think it's fair that a high-ref buyer should take on all the liability, since there really is a low probability of the package getting lost/damaged. I know it won't happen, but I think some sort of "waiving half-liability" would be a good idea for high-ref buyers. If you purchase something for $50 and it does get lost/damaged, the seller should refund you $25, that way one party doesn't have to eat the whole loss.

rats60
posted March 09, 2014 10:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by totalkaoz:
I agree with ryanghall here and I would NEVER waive responsibility. I would go as far to ask members under 100 refs to send me cards first and then pay for them afterwards. People used to be willing to do this with no issue but nowadays, it seems like even members with under 10 refs want you to pay paypal gift and ask to waive responsibility.

When trading, people have no issue sending first and don't ask for the waiver.

Isn't selling just a trade but with cash instead of cards?

You two are a big part of why I quit selling on here. I'd rather sell my cards for more on Ebay and not have to deal with this BS. You pay proper shipping or you don't get the cards. There is none of this, I want international shipping for 1.00 even though it costs you 6-7. I want you to break the law by lying about the value so I don't have to pay import fees. I don't want to pay for tracking or insurance. I want everything my way. To the person above who talked about Ebay, I'd suggest you check out their Global Shipping Program. It is not cheap and you don't have to deal with cheap people.

To your last question, absolutely not the same thing. Selling, you are taking less for your cards. Trading, you are getting something back you would have to pay cash for otherwise. Also, if the deal isn't worth the shipping, you pass.

yodadoc1234
posted March 09, 2014 10:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yodadoc1234 Send a private message to yodadoc1234 Click to send yodadoc1234 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View yodadoc1234's Have/Want ListView yodadoc1234's Have/Want List
Why don't people just send their packages the mail with DC and insurance? It costs a little ,but it saves all this hassle people seem to be experiencing.

Volcanon
posted March 09, 2014 11:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ryang - Yes, it's annoying. That's why I basically never buy or sell on this website anymore. It's cheaper to go to ebay, where shipping doesn't have $15 tacked on to it.

I've learned from experience that you won't get any sympathy here, full stop. Rather you'll get a bunch of condescending answers about how you totally should spend $15 to mail $50 of cards. Because you're a greedy greedster if you don't want to accept risk.

The sellers don't realize that risk is valuable. It is, in fact, worth $15 or whatever they ask. But they also sell their cards at the ebay value, where sellers don't have to take on any risk. So basically their cards are much more expensive.

Louisboy
posted March 09, 2014 11:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Louisboy Click Here to Email Louisboy Send a private message to Louisboy Click to send Louisboy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
You two are a big part of why I quit selling on here. I'd rather sell my cards for more on Ebay and not have to deal with this BS. You pay proper shipping or you don't get the cards. There is none of this, I want international shipping for 1.00 even though it costs you 6-7. I want you to break the law by lying about the value so I don't have to pay import fees. I don't want to pay for tracking or insurance. I want everything my way. To the person above who talked about Ebay, I'd suggest you check out their Global Shipping Program. It is not cheap and you don't have to deal with cheap people.

To your last question, absolutely not the same thing. Selling, you are taking less for your cards. Trading, you are getting something back you would have to pay cash for otherwise. Also, if the deal isn't worth the shipping, you pass.

What's your definition of "more"? Ebay you pay the fees and such so I have doubts to your claim since you seem to be on some kind of agenda to prove this point.

The Global Shipping Program is the biggest travesty to ever come on eBay. Pretty much you pay them huge fees so that they can ship it for you because you are too lazy to figure out how. On top of that, this program makes it ridiculously high to send anywhere outside of the States and these sellers "tend" to get less for cards.

quote:
Originally posted by yodadoc1234:
Why don't people just send their packages the mail with DC and insurance? It costs a little ,but it saves all this hassle people seem to be experiencing.

This only works in the States, and seeing as though the OP and half the people in this thread are from Canada this doesn't really help.

ryanghall
posted March 09, 2014 11:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryanghall Click Here to Email ryanghall Send a private message to ryanghall Click to send ryanghall an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryanghall's Have/Want ListView ryanghall's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by yodadoc1234:

They're missing you in the I hate Star City Games thread. You should go back there.

junichi
posted March 09, 2014 12:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:

Why do sellers have to take the hit? They can just sell it to others who are willing to pay for proper shipping, such as buyers who are within US. If paying $15 shipping for a $50 purchase is too much, then either buy more at once, or go buy from a Canadian supplier where tracking is $7.

Complaining about someone unwilling to take on the risk and send you cards internationally using PWE is just plain stupid.

—Keldon soldier

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League