Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What is up with devotion?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What is up with devotion?
mcelraca
posted October 24, 2013 02:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
I wanted to talk a little bit about devotion.

SOME people seem to be up in arms about devotion. I've only played in one FNM since theros came out. However, the deck I ran did use devotion (GB Reanimator). I like the mechanic, at least in theory.

I've heard a few opinions stating that devotion was on its way to ruin standard.

WHY?
The decks are easy to pilot and don't seem to have a lot of current answers.

Me?
I think devotion is fine and we are just now entering a new standard environment. People like to get excited and I think that mono color decks that use "bad" cards rile people up. I'm getting the feeling that devotion is more powerful than WOTC thought, but it isn't broken.

I'm eager to see what decks come out on top in the next few months. Devotion seems to be a mechanic that caters to the novice and skilled player. My gut is telling me that mono colored (in this case) is simple, efficient, and strong. Multicolored decks add complexity and versatility that we just haven't figured out yet.

No matter the environment, I'll be sticking with my GB Dredge/Reanimator deck I've put together, mostly because its homebrew and fun!

Bagbokk
posted October 24, 2013 02:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Have/Want ListView Bagbokk's Have/Want List
People just have their own opinions about how formats should be, nothing more and nothing less. Standard evolves. I like the fact that we just had like an entire year with a perfect mana base to run whatever we wanted. I also like the fact that the perfect mana base is gone and we're back to running mono-color and two-color decks.

That, and we're only what, three weeks into this?

I'm probably going to run mono-black devotion at some point, not because I'm copying top lists but because I've always been a mono-black player (or playing the closest thing to it--BG right before rotation, for example). I'm currently running BW without the tiny creatures (Precinct Captains in sideboard for the Esper matchup) and it's done reasonably well.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Bagbokk on October 24, 2013]

Zeckk
posted October 25, 2013 12:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Bagbokk put it very well. Personally, I think its amazing that R&D could set up a standard Meta immediately after RTR block that no fewer than 3 viable mono decks, and multiple 2-3 color non-devotion lists.

People were calling mono blue unbeatable the first week it made its splash, then mono black became the new hotness. Honestly, I think they knocked it out of the park in terms of viable options, and the shift to a removal-heavy meta is a good thing in my eyes.

WeedIan
posted October 25, 2013 05:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
I think its because they are shocked that a mechanic that gives power to mono colored decks is abusable.

8th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

harbingerofthevoid
posted October 25, 2013 06:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
Those types of comments always sound like comments from someone that just lost to 'bad' cards. You know, when their hotness isn't so hot anymore but they are still clinging on.

WeedIan
posted October 25, 2013 06:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by harbingerofthevoid:
Those types of comments always sound like comments from someone that just lost to 'bad' cards. You know, when their hotness isn't so hot anymore but they are still clinging on.

Sometimes bad cards have synergy that makes a deck good

8th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

sys41o
posted October 25, 2013 06:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View sys41o's Have/Want ListView sys41o's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
Sometimes bad cards have synergy that makes a deck good

QFT. Devotion is a mechanic that is supposed to reward people for playing one colour or two at the most. So if they are only playing one colour they are going to play cards that are not as "good" as cards in other colours.

I like devotion. The fact that it follows a block that has hybrid mana symbols means that two colour decks with devotion are very possible.

Havoc Demon
posted October 26, 2013 10:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Havoc Demon's Trade Auction or SaleView Havoc Demon's Trade Auction or Sale
I'm impressed that mono color is a thing directly after printed a multicolored block. Certainly wasn't the case during Shadowmoor/Shards

Volcanon
posted October 26, 2013 11:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Havoc Demon:
I'm impressed that mono color is a thing directly after printed a multicolored block. Certainly wasn't the case during Shadowmoor/Shards

Odyssey had mono decks. Time Spiral pushed mono decks but they weren't as good as the multi decks. Zendikar didn't really have any multicolor.

jbark
posted October 27, 2013 09:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Id really like to see the next set just change everything. Make mono white better, more pro color creatures, more hexproof, give off color removal... right now I'd stay away from investing too much in mono black/blue. They may be passed by 2 color decks with a larger card pool.

Now yes its good. But like blocks before the bad cards will fall out of decks and women of the good stuff goes down due to better stuff coming.

chaos021
posted October 27, 2013 05:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
Id really like to see the next set just change everything. Make mono white better, more pro color creatures, more hexproof, give off color removal... right now I'd stay away from investing too much in mono black/blue. They may be passed by 2 color decks with a larger card pool.

Now yes its good. But like blocks before the bad cards will fall out of decks and women of the good stuff goes down due to better stuff coming.

More pro color creatures and more hexproof??? More as in a larger percentage of the creatures have one of these attributes or just few more number-wise?

My Sale Thread

jbark
posted October 27, 2013 05:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
More new creatures that have the abilities. Or protection from mono color or something. So much interaction with mono color now it would be cool to see some disruption but with less popular colors like green and white. Like a hate bear deck.

psrex
posted October 27, 2013 05:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Considering that there are 10 more gods coming over the next two sets, with all of the upcoming gods being multi-colored, I see a sure indication that at least two color decks are going to get a big boost during the block. I'm guessing that this is the high point for mono-colored decks.

Zeckk
posted October 27, 2013 07:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
More new creatures that have the abilities. Or protection from mono color or something. So much interaction with mono color now it would be cool to see some disruption but with less popular colors like green and white. Like a hate bear deck.

Don't expect it. R&D is usually pretty conservative with protections, given the lack of interaction. Certainly, there's plenty of relevant creatures in this standard with protections, but its a fine line between successful hate cards and a purely rock-paper-scissors Meta.

DerangedHermit
posted October 27, 2013 09:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for DerangedHermit Click Here to Email DerangedHermit Send a private message to DerangedHermit Click to send DerangedHermit an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DerangedHermit's Trade Auction or SaleView DerangedHermit's Trade Auction or Sale
Right now, MBD is doing well because it has the best disruption, good removal, good resilience, good threats and a good draw engine. Oh, and it can play Mutavault.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League