Magic Discussion
  Onslaught Fetches (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Onslaught Fetches
ardeay
posted January 30, 2013 07:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
Do you think we will see a reprint of these badies?

Based on what woc did with shocks, seems like they will reprint in the next set, which also brings them into modern, which having only zen lands doesnt make much sense?

thoughts?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by ardeay on January 30, 2013]

Zeckk
posted January 30, 2013 08:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
General consensus is that they will get reprinted in the future, but not likely until shocklands are out of standard.

ardeay
posted January 30, 2013 08:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
General consensus is that they will get reprinted in the future, but not likely until shocklands are out of standard.

Good point

Goaswerfraiejen
posted January 31, 2013 11:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Seems likely we'll see them again in a functionally similar form, especially since they finally printed enemy fetches. It would also make sense if they're planning to support Modern for the long-term. The trick, as the others said, lies in the timing.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

coasterdude84
posted January 31, 2013 07:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
On the flip side, I'm hoping we get Judge foil versions of the Zen ones, only with the old border.

mm1983
posted February 01, 2013 03:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by coasterdude84:

On the flip side, I'm hoping we get Judge foil versions of the Zen ones, only with the old border.

I would like to see this. I think that would happen before reprints of the old ones since the old ones already have Judge promos as well.

Zeckk
posted February 01, 2013 01:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
I would like to see this. I think that would happen before reprints of the old ones since the old ones already have Judge promos as well.

I actually don't think so. The original ONS judge foils were back before EDH really took off, and nowadays most of the judge foils are geared towards being an EDH staple. Not saying it's impossible, but not likely either.

jaromirjagr
posted February 01, 2013 02:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaromirjagr Click Here to Email jaromirjagr Send a private message to jaromirjagr Click to send jaromirjagr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In my opinion I really doubt it.I dont see wizards reprinting 40-50 dollar cards.I mean how often do you see that?These are meant to fetch dual lands and shocklands and I dont see them getting reprinted again after they rotate.I dont know,Ive never seen wotc reprint big money cards.If polluted delta and flooded strand are reprined everyone will go ape s$&t over the set.

#1 in refs in B.C.,Canada
#3 in Canada
Top 30 in refs on motl

email-kenthomson@shaw.ca

skizzikmonger
posted February 01, 2013 02:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jaromirjagr:
In my opinion I really doubt it.I dont see wizards reprinting 40-50 dollar cards.I mean how often do you see that?These are meant to fetch dual lands and shocklands and I dont see them getting reprinted again after they rotate.I dont know,Ive never seen wotc reprint big money cards.If polluted delta and flooded strand are reprined everyone will go ape s$&t over the set.

Tarmogoyf* says hi

*and the other high dollar cards Wizards reprints in MM

Zeckk
posted February 01, 2013 07:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:

Kind of like how everyone went crazy over shockland reprints....

There isn't some magical dollar value that dictates whether a card is reprinted or not. If moat and the abyss weren't on the reserve list, you bet your butt WotC would have reprinted those cards in some fashion. Honestly, I want to see moat or the abyss become a judge foil, since those are still possible through the reserve policy.

jaromirjagr
posted February 01, 2013 08:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaromirjagr Click Here to Email jaromirjagr Send a private message to jaromirjagr Click to send jaromirjagr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Modern masters looks nice.Will definetly buy it if it isnt already sold out at release.Besides duel decks and boxed sets when has wizards reprintd a card over $20that was playable and standard legal?Crucible of worlds was reprined in tenth and thats a $20 card.Shocklands were maybe a little over $20 before being reprinted.I dont think there is a dollar value but it seems to be a trend that money cards dont see standard play again.Shocklands werent that big.Nothing seems impossible these days as they print commander decks and modern masters,stuff we havent seen before.But moat or big stuff being reprinted in a standard legal set,I think is impossible.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by jaromirjagr on February 01, 2013]

mm1983
posted February 01, 2013 08:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Shocklands were maybe a little over $20 before being reprinted.

I was actually getting upwards of $30 each on Breeding Pools and Hallowed Fountains around last year at this time before any word of them being reprinted. Other than that I don't think any of the others were ever higher than $22 with most being $15-18 at that time.

TimeBeing
posted February 01, 2013 08:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
I actually don't think so. The original ONS judge foils were back before EDH really took off, and nowadays most of the judge foils are geared towards being an EDH staple. Not saying it's impossible, but not likely either.

All my EDH decks have fetches in them. And they tend to split judge foils; half EDH, half legacy/value cards. See Karkas and Noble Hierarch.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by TimeBeing on February 01, 2013]

nylarotep
posted February 02, 2013 07:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
quote:
Honestly, I want to see moat or the abyss become a judge foil, since those are still possible through the reserve policy.

WotC closed this loophole some time ago.

revenger
posted February 02, 2013 12:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nylarotep:
WotC closed this loophole some time ago.

I'm waiting for we on the crack to absolve the reserve list, save for a select few (here,s looking at you Power Nine, mana drain). Then they can do reprints however they want.

33rd in refs on Motl!

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Bugger
posted February 02, 2013 12:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by revenger:
I'm waiting for we on the crack to absolve the reserve list, save for a select few (here,s looking at you Power Nine, mana drain). Then they can do reprints however they want.

For the millionth time, they won't, because legally they can't.

skizzikmonger
posted February 02, 2013 03:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bugger:
For the millionth time, they won't, because legally they can't.

And that legal reason is......?

Link139232
posted February 02, 2013 03:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
Lol, they own the company, they can do whatever they want.

My guess is that Onslaught fetches will see reprint in M14.

SolonJhee
posted February 02, 2013 03:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SolonJhee Click Here to Email SolonJhee Send a private message to SolonJhee Click to send SolonJhee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
They can do whatever the hell they want with their card game. Now that doesn't mean they will actually do it. Yeah you'll **** off XXXXXX players and some of them will think they can actually sue and win, but that doesn't mean that Wizards 'cant' do it.

Lord Crovax
posted February 02, 2013 03:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If WoTC does do anything to the reserved list they WILL lose money, this is fact.

Thus they won't, even if they can.

EDIT: For the record I'm for them changing it just know they wont.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Lord Crovax on February 02, 2013]

skizzikmonger
posted February 02, 2013 03:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
If WoTC does do anything to the reserved list they WILL lose money, this is fact.

How would they lose money by reprinting duals, FoW, etc?

stu55
posted February 02, 2013 05:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If they do small controlled bursts of reserved list cards,, in different borders than they are now, I am willing to bet that is better in the long run then just letting Legacy die in paper.

Bugger
posted February 02, 2013 06:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skizzikmonger:
And that legal reason is......?

They are not legally allowed to even discuss the terms, unfortunately. All they're allowed to say is that they can't break the reserved list.

It continuously astounds me how oblivious some magic players can be about this, though. You'd think people so concerned with reprints would pay attention to the legal status of what wotc can and can't do. This is old news, a couple years ago at least I believe. It's one of the reasons they made modern, I'm pretty sure - so they'd have an eternal format that they could, if the situation called for it, reprint anything in it.

Pail42
posted February 02, 2013 07:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bugger:
They are not legally allowed to even discuss the terms, unfortunately. All they're allowed to say is that they can't break the reserved list.

It continuously astounds me how oblivious some magic players can be about this, though. You'd think people so concerned with reprints would pay attention to the legal status of what wotc can and can't do.

Link please. To my knowledge and googling ability nobody has EVER taken legal action against wotc regarding the reserve list.

coasterdude84
posted February 02, 2013 07:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
per Wizards, with a few key points highlighted:

quote:
Originally posted by WotC:
Reserved Cards

The complete list of reserved cards appears at the end of this document. Reserved cards will never be printed again in a functionally identical form. A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness. No cards will be added to the reserved list in the future. No cards from the Mercadian Masques set and later sets will be reserved. In consideration of past commitments, however, no cards will be removed from this list. The exclusion of any particular card from the reserved list doesn't indicate that there are any plans to reprint that card.

Non-English Cards

The reprint policy applies to both English and non-English cards.

Virtual Cards

This reprint policy only applies to physical, printed cards. It does not apply to cards released on Magic: The Gathering Online or in any other digital distribution.

Tournament Legality

All policies described in this document apply only to tournament-legal Magic cards.

Premium Cards

A previous version of this policy allowed premium versions of cards on the reserved list to be printed. Starting in 2011, no cards on the reserved list will be printed in either premium or non-premium form.

Special-Purpose Reprints

Wizards of the Coast may print special versions of cards not meant for regular game play, such as oversized cards.

First, I'd like to point out the "functional reprint" bit. So before anyone starts any "snow-duals" crap...

As Bugger said, we don't know exactly of what those "past commitments" consist. Based on NDAs and exclusivity contracts I sometimes get sucked into, there's probably an agreement in place between Wizards and any number of collectors/vendors where cards can't be reprinted unless certain market conditions are met. I have no idea what those may be, probably where no one gives a crap about the game anymore and cards are worthless anyway. In other words, if it's on that list and you still care, you ain't getting it.

That said, this thread is about Onslaught fetches, which are very much not on the reserve list. I would not be surprised to see them again for the sake of Modern, but as someone mentioned before, probably not until the Shocks rotate out of Standard.

And I still want an old frame foil Catacombs.

This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League