Magic Discussion
  More ethics question (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   More ethics question
marlo213
posted January 30, 2013 08:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
I met a fellow player over the weekend and he shared a story with us which stirred some strong feelings and gave me a bitter taste in my mouth, but I don't know if I would have done anything different given the circumstance that he was in. For the sake of the story, let's call him Bob.

Bob went to some magic event out of town and after breakfast he was walking to his car, a guy approached him and told him that he's quitting the game and wants to sell all of his cards. Bob said sure, let's see what you have. The guy showed him a couple of binders...and they were stacked. Like playsets of duals, fetches and such. Bob said it was probably in the 2k+ range buylist price. So Bob said, he has probably only $200 on him and the guy snap takes the deal.

At this point, it was extremely obvious that the cards were stole, but Bob went through with it anyway. At the tournament, Bob totally scrubbed out and had to sell about $400 worth of cards from the new collection to get some money in his pocket.

Near the end of the event, Bob was talking to some people and someone mentioned that he had a friend that got his car broken into and had his stereo, gps, and all his cards stolen. After describing the collection a little more, Bob figured out that the stolen collection was in his possession.

Now, I am not gonna say what he did, but would like to know what you would do at this point?

isetfire
posted January 30, 2013 09:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for isetfire Click Here to Email isetfire Send a private message to isetfire Click to send isetfire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Give the cards back to the guy for a 200$ finder's fee. Then tell the victim what the thief looked like so he can file a police report.

walkerdog
posted January 30, 2013 09:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
I'd have a hard time buying that collection at that price. Seems pretty obvious at that point what's occurring.

ardeay
posted January 30, 2013 10:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
Thats a ****ty story, BOB should return the cards since he already profited $200 from the sale. Whoever's cards were stolen is most likely quitting the game.

Sometimes i worry myself by rolling around with my binder, another reason why MOTL is a great place to trade.

mcelraca
posted January 30, 2013 10:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
This is a pretty crappy situation, but I have to say Bob didn't handle it all that well.

First, if he knew the cards were worth that much, he should have bought them and just held on to them. He could have taken it to the authorities, really anything but sell them. I understand he wanted money, but he knew very well those cards didn't belong to the guy he bought them from.

Finally he should have given what was left back to the guy who lost them. Explained what happened and also given the guy the extra money he made. But naturally kept what he put into the deal.

I'm not trying to be overly righteous here, but I go out of my way to be a nice and generous magic player. I also feel like I'm someone with good morals. These types of events are what causes non-magic folks to look down on the game.

I have magic acquaintances who pull shady stuff like this regularly, not always illegal, just morally wrong. I try not to play with them often, but I still hear their stories. One guy I know tried to convince me to get blister packs from Wal-mart because you can return them to unknowing employees if you get bad cards.

bushe
posted January 30, 2013 10:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bushe Click Here to Email bushe Send a private message to bushe Click to send bushe an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bushe's Have/Want ListView bushe's Have/Want List
He should most definitely give the cards back. It is a rough situation where you realize that the cards are stolen because the price is ridiculously low, but at that price I'm sure the owner would be glad to reimburse you just to get them back so I would pay it and then expect to be paid back by the owner.

I will say that I think it is shady to know something is stolen, buy it and then sell some of it and pocket the money without attempting to find the rightful owner. It seems to me that Bob had a chance to do the right thing earlier (looking for the owner) and then got lucky and got a 2nd chance. I hope he made the right call the 2nd time.

marvinc023
posted January 30, 2013 11:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marvinc023 Click Here to Email marvinc023 Send a private message to marvinc023 Click to send marvinc023 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marvinc023's Have/Want ListView marvinc023's Have/Want List
I would say that it was pretty obvious that he's buying stolen cards when you can pick up $2k+ in cards for $200.

I'd like to say I'd buy them for the $200 and try and find the owner but then the flip side is maybe he'll think you stole them so for this reason I'd probably pass on them.

slurpee
posted January 30, 2013 11:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
He should tell the guy what happened. What do you think will happen if word got around he sold stolen cards. He should say this is whats left and who he sold the cards to as I think it is illegal to buy and sell stolen cards.

People on here ridicule people for all kinds of stuff including people who only want 200.00 for 2k worth of cards. A fool and his money are so departed...

Now I am not saying this is right, but the phrase "better off not knowing" comes to mind. If he felt they were stolen, then why return to where they were stolen from?? Why sell stuff that he feels already is stolen?? This will haunt everyone but the thief who took them...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by slurpee on January 30, 2013]

Demilio
posted January 30, 2013 11:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
Return the cards and $200. I'm sure whomever is getting the cards back will be happy. The other $200 is a finders fee.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Demilio on January 30, 2013]

MAB_Rapper
posted January 30, 2013 11:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
I gotta agree with Demilio. Return everything you have and explain what happened. I would still keep the $200 I originally paid and give the guy the rest so he can start putting everything back together.

The huge problem is that even if you know the cards are stolen, how is it possible to know how long ago they were stolen, from what part of the country, etc...? What if the binder was stolen from five states away and going to local authorities would not be relevant due to the crime and/or the thief not being in the current juristiciton? I'd say that 95% of the time, you will never run into the victim and doing what he did is not morally wrong since there is no way to prove anything.

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

Volcanon
posted January 30, 2013 12:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Legally the owner is the guy who had his stuff stolen. So give it to the owner. Ask for a "finder's fee" if you must. Tell him to, uh, not bring $2000 of cards and leave them in his car in the future.

Bagbokk
posted January 30, 2013 01:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
Legally the owner is the guy who had his stuff stolen. So give it to the owner. Ask for a "finder's fee" if you must. Tell him to, uh, not bring $2000 of cards and leave them in his car in the future.

Generally if Bob didn't know it was stolen when he bought the collection, he basically obtains legal title to the cards when he buys them from the thief. I'm sure this case would be more fuzzy since it's obvious that something happened to the cards for someone to sell $2k worth of them for $200.

Regardless, I'd return the cards and $200. But I wouldn't consider the other $200 a finder's fee--it's to make sure I don't lose anything. I don't have any legal obligation to return the cards, but I'm doing so because it's morally and ethically correct to do so.

Volcanon
posted January 30, 2013 01:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bagbokk:
Generally if Bob didn't know it was stolen when he bought the collection, he basically obtains legal title to the cards when he buys them from the thief. I'm sure this case would be more fuzzy since it's obvious that something happened to the cards for someone to sell $2k worth of them for $200.

Regardless, I'd return the cards and $200. But I wouldn't consider the other $200 a finder's fee--it's to make sure I don't lose anything. I don't have any legal obligation to return the cards, but I'm doing so because it's morally and ethically correct to do so.

There's so many holes to the equity's darling rule that I wouldn't count on it. Buying cards for 10% of their value should be a tip that they were stolen.

majicman
posted January 30, 2013 01:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
Hmmm

Suspecting they are stolen vs. knowing they are stolen are 2 different things.

Bob took the opportunity (like a lot of people) to acquire a collection on the cheap. At a GP or tournament that would always be on the back of my mind.

Knowing they are stolen now gives Bob the opportunity to make things as right as possible.

The guy who had his car broken into and stuff stolen would be elated to get back part of his stuff with the possibility of catching the crook.

Hopefully if Bob hold's back the original $200 paid and give him the other $200 made and his cards Bob will make this persons day and learn several lessons. And hopefully Bob has a good memory with faces.

I think some state laws, if a person buys stolen property, they lose the money/property and could go to jail. I love the U.S. LOL!

Good luck to Bob on his decision....Greg

[Edited 2 times, lastly by majicman on January 30, 2013]

Goaswerfraiejen
posted January 30, 2013 02:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Frankly, I've got to agree with the majority here: Bob was right to buy the cards (or, at least, not wrong), erred ethically when he omitted to attempt to locate the owner in the first place, and erred again when he sold some cards without making an effort to locate the owner.

The morally upstanding thing for Bob to do at this point is to return the collection to its owner. The details of this next transaction matter, but they matter less than this one point. Certainly, it would be "best" for Bob to return the collection along with $400. Next best would be $200. Next is just a plain old return. The bottom line is that the collection be returned no matter what. Ethically speaking. If Bob has no scruples and doesn't mind doing the wrong thing, then Bob needn't do anything. But if Bob's concerned with ethics, then I think the minimal requirement is a return of what's in his possession at the moment.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Goaswerfraiejen on January 30, 2013]

Mr.C
posted January 30, 2013 02:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
I'd give him the cards back, minus the $200 I spent to get them. And suggest he not be s Speed Demon and leave it in his car.

wisknudde
posted January 31, 2013 02:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wisknudde Click Here to Email wisknudde Send a private message to wisknudde Click to send wisknudde an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Definately handing the cards back to the rightful owner. Your reputation among other players is far more valueable then cards (If you want to keep playing magic I would recommend always keeping this in mind)

dwiz
posted January 31, 2013 04:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:

Now, I am not gonna say what he did, but would like to know what you would do at this point?

I didn't read any of the replies yet, but "what would you do" on the internet when there are morals involved and e-people are judging you and "what would you do" in real life when there is $2,000 involved and nobody knows about it are way different things.

Bagbokk
posted January 31, 2013 06:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
I didn't read any of the replies yet, but "what would you do" on the internet when there are morals involved and e-people are judging you and "what would you do" in real life when there is $2,000 involved and nobody knows about it are way different things.

Maybe if you left right then and there, sure. I mean, this is an event out of town, and nothing short of #1 at a GP or SCG Open or something is going to get you more than $2,000, right? Regardless of the reason, though, the right move is to return the cards and $200. Even disregarding ethics and morals, I can make $2,000 back pretty easily. But if someone connected me with the stolen cards, even if it's obvious to me that I can explain what happened, that is NOT something I want to go through--it's not worth it for $2,000 when my earning potential is so much more than that. But maybe that's just because I have a job where my reputation actually matters.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Bagbokk on January 31, 2013]

hilikuS
posted January 31, 2013 07:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
I don't think the dude can get too ****ed about you spending some of the cards either. I mean, if Bob didn't shell out the $200, that collection would probably never be recovered by its owner anyway. You came to the event with the money, which you needed for the day. So selling off some stuff isn't a jerk move.

I can't imagine my backpack getting yoked outta the car. I'd be mortified, and if somebody brought it back to me, I would be so freakin' grateful even if some stuff was gone.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted January 31, 2013 07:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
I don't think the dude can get too ****ed about you spending some of the cards either. I mean, if Bob didn't shell out the $200, that collection would probably never be recovered by its owner anyway. You came to the event with the money, which you needed for the day. So selling off some stuff isn't a jerk move.

I can't imagine my backpack getting yoked outta the car. I'd be mortified, and if somebody brought it back to me, I would be so freakin' grateful even if some stuff was gone.

Sure. And when my wallet was stolen (pickpocketed), I was really relieved to get it back (in the mail) with all my cards and stuff: it wasn't great that all my cash was gone, but better than than everything. Still doesn't make it right to have taken the money, though.

The same applies here: the outcome is better than nothing, but the question wasn't about the best outcome; it was about what was right. And it wasn't right to sell cards from a collection seriously suspected to have been stolen without first making an effort to locate the owner. Nor was it right to purchase a collection seriously suspected to be stolen with the intent of keeping it and making no effort to locate its owner.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

marlo213
posted January 31, 2013 08:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:
I met a fellow player over the weekend and he shared a story with us which stirred some strong feelings and gave me a bitter taste in my mouth, but I don't know if I would have done anything different given the circumstance that he was in. For the sake of the story, let's call him Bob.

Bob went to some magic event out of town and after breakfast he was walking to his car, a guy approached him and told him that he's quitting the game and wants to sell all of his cards. Bob said sure, let's see what you have. The guy showed him a couple of binders...and they were stacked. Like playsets of duals, fetches and such. Bob said it was probably in the 2k+ range buylist price. So Bob said, he has probably only $200 on him and the guy snap takes the deal.

At this point, it was extremely obvious that the cards were stole, but Bob went through with it anyway. At the tournament, Bob totally scrubbed out and had to sell about $400 worth of cards from the new collection to get some money in his pocket.

Near the end of the event, Bob was talking to some people and someone mentioned that he had a friend that got his car broken into and had his stereo, gps, and all his cards stolen. After describing the collection a little more, Bob figured out that the stolen collection was in his possession.

Needless to say, if Bob just walked out and said nothing, then repeated the story of how he bought a stolen collection to a bunch of strangers would be idiotic to say the least. So this is what happened according to him.

At this point, Bob had spent around $300 of the money he had gotten from selling cards out of the collection. When he found out the victim was there, he did what most of you suggested and return the collection to the rightful owner.

After Bob told the friend that he has the stolen collection, the friend immediately want to the owner with Bob and Bob explained to him what happened with a very slight change in story. Instead of saying he sold the cards, Bob simply said that he bought the collection in its current form.

The owner, at the time of when his collection stolen, told the tournament TO immediately afterwards and gave a list of the big cards and all the "unique" stuff he had in it. With the information that he's getting his stuff back, the owner also grabbed the TO to witness the exchange.

When Bob handed the owner the binders, after flipping through the first couple of pages, it was clear that there were things missing. And of course, Bob's explanation was "that's how I got it". When asked how much he paid, Bob said $30 and it wasn't a big deal, he's just happy that the owner can get his stuff back.

This is where things started to go south, the owner, I guess didn't believe Bob's story and asked to see the rest of Bob's backpack. Bob got angry and didn't want to do it, but the owner got even more angry and started saying that he had so much more stuff than that and started to list all kind of expensive cards that were stolen like goyfs, jaces, blah blah blah, stuff that Bob knew for a fact were not in the binders that he got from the thief.

The TO, trying to be impartial asked Bob to just show the owner the rest of his backpack and if the stuff that the owner named were not there, then the two can part ways. However, the stuff that the owner named were cards that Bob had. But they were his and not from the stolen collection.

At this point, they were making quite a bit of noise and people were starting to gather and someone called the security officer/police officer on duty. When the situation was explained to the police, he told Bob that he was in possession of stolen property and would normally be arrested on the spot, but given the circumstance, if he's willing to cooperate and hand over the cards back to the original owner, then he'll be asked to not return to the mall or wherever they were at and be the end of it. Since Bob was far away from home and couldn't afford to get arrested and he was indeed in possession of stolen property, he agreed.

So in the end, the owner stripped most of Bob's decks and two binders, worth about $2-3K. Even now, Bob isn't sure if the owner stole from him or if the thief actually pieced the collection out and Bob only got part of what was stolen. Because there were 4 polluted deltas in the owner's binder and 4 in Bob's deck, the owner only claimed the 4 in his binder and left the ones in Bob's deck alone. However, the owner claimed a bunch of small stuff that Bob knew were a couple dollars at most.

Sad story huh?

Lord Crovax
posted January 31, 2013 08:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Needless to say, if Bob just walked out and said nothing, then repeated the story of how he bought a stolen collection to a bunch of strangers would be idiotic to say the least. So this is what happened according to him.

At this point, Bob had spent around $300 of the money he had gotten from selling cards out of the collection. When he found out the victim was there, he did what most of you suggested and return the collection to the rightful owner.

After Bob told the friend that he has the stolen collection, the friend immediately want to the owner with Bob and Bob explained to him what happened with a very slight change in story. Instead of saying he sold the cards, Bob simply said that he bought the collection in its current form.

The owner, at the time of when his collection stolen, told the tournament TO immediately afterwards and gave a list of the big cards and all the "unique" stuff he had in it. With the information that he's getting his stuff back, the owner also grabbed the TO to witness the exchange.

When Bob handed the owner the binders, after flipping through the first couple of pages, it was clear that there were things missing. And of course, Bob's explanation was "that's how I got it". When asked how much he paid, Bob said $30 and it wasn't a big deal, he's just happy that the owner can get his stuff back.

This is where things started to go south, the owner, I guess didn't believe Bob's story and asked to see the rest of Bob's backpack. Bob got angry and didn't want to do it, but the owner got even more angry and started saying that he had so much more stuff than that and started to list all kind of expensive cards that were stolen like goyfs, jaces, blah blah blah, stuff that Bob knew for a fact were not in the binders that he got from the thief.

The TO, trying to be impartial asked Bob to just show the owner the rest of his backpack and if the stuff that the owner named were not there, then the two can part ways. However, the stuff that the owner named were cards that Bob had. But they were his and not from the stolen collection.

At this point, they were making quite a bit of noise and people were starting to gather and someone called the security officer/police officer on duty. When the situation was explained to the police, he told Bob that he was in possession of stolen property and would normally be arrested on the spot, but given the circumstance, if he's willing to cooperate and hand over the cards back to the original owner, then he'll be asked to not return to the mall or wherever they were at and be the end of it. Since Bob was far away from home and couldn't afford to get arrested and he was indeed in possession of stolen property, he agreed.

So in the end, the owner stripped most of Bob's decks and two binders, worth about $2-3K. Even now, Bob isn't sure if the owner stole from him or if the thief actually pieced the collection out and Bob only got part of what was stolen. Because there were 4 polluted deltas in the owner's binder and 4 in Bob's deck, the owner only claimed the 4 in his binder and left the ones in Bob's deck alone. However, the owner claimed a bunch of small stuff that Bob knew were a couple dollars at most.

Sad story huh?

Sad part is, in my experience this would have happened even if Bob had been 100% honest. Saw this happen to someone, dude lost whole personal collection + the collection he purchased due to "trying to do the right thing" where as the supposed victim got to walk away with a few thousand dollars in magic above and beyond what was stolen from him.

If you are going to return a collection that was stolen that you bought, take it to the TO, then leave, if your still around when the collections owner gets it, things are likely to go south for you really quick.

marvinc023
posted January 31, 2013 08:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marvinc023 Click Here to Email marvinc023 Send a private message to marvinc023 Click to send marvinc023 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marvinc023's Have/Want ListView marvinc023's Have/Want List
It's exactly what I said would happen when I posted earlier. He would be blamed for being the thief! So either pass on the cards or buy them and don't mention it. I personally would have passed as it seemed sketchy and if it's too good to be true it usually is.

Lord Crovax
posted January 31, 2013 09:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marvinc023:
It's exactly what I said would happen when I posted earlier. He would be blamed for being the thief! So either pass on the cards or buy them and don't mention it. I personally would have passed as it seemed sketchy and if it's too good to be true it usually is.

or worse yet, it's a scam set up to profit.

Seen this before to, make sure you can recover anything sold, claim collection stolen, wait for someone to say they have it, claim stuff missing, pillage collection for stuff, profit. Rinse and Repeat.

EDIT: You could also have people who are so hurt they lost stuff, they are willing to do anything to make themselves feel better, even if it screws someone else over.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Lord Crovax on January 31, 2013]

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League