Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Ripped off or not? (eBay)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Ripped off or not? (eBay)
MathWizardPimp
posted January 30, 2013 01:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MathWizardPimp Click Here to Email MathWizardPimp Send a private message to MathWizardPimp Click to send MathWizardPimp an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MathWizardPimp's Have/Want ListView MathWizardPimp's Have/Want List
Hello. I understand it's dangerous to buy packs from eBay because of 3 main reasons:

1. You may get fake cards
2. You may get repacks
3. Box-mapping can ensure that you get junk

However, I still bought 18 packs of Innistrad and 18 packs of Avacyn Restored from a reputable seller with only a few blemishes (of which none were MTG related). I think a combination of reasons 2 and 3 were at play here.

Some of the packs had some tear lines near the top and bottom (but not extending to the border of the back wrapper, they were little slits) and in all 36 packs I pulled 1 mythic rare (Tree of Redemption, which is essentially junk) and the other packs also contained complete junk. And I mean complete junk. The most valuable card I got was Gavony Township. Most of the rares (some duplicates) are worth 0.25 cents or 0.50 cents on popular sites like Card Kingdom and Troll and Toad.

I understand being lucky and unlucky sometimes. However, the amount of bad luck this would take over 36 packs is extremely high. And remember the packs looked like they may have been searched. Other than avoiding eBay (except for maybe sealed items like booster boxes, intro decks, etc.) can I do anything to punish this seller other than leave negative feedback? Can I get my money back for false advertising? But how could I even prove it? The packs are all opened and the wrappers are all torn up.

Aznopium
posted January 30, 2013 01:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
general rule of thumb:

never buy loose packs from online retailers (or on eBay)

if u dont know bout mapping, i suggest you read up.

Mr.C
posted January 30, 2013 01:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
Nope, you can't do anything really.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted January 30, 2013 01:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you were ripped off, yes, but not in an actionable sense. It's too bad you opened all the packs after noticing the tear; you might have been able to issue a PayPal claim and/or send them back.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

Volcanon
posted January 30, 2013 02:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MathWizardPimp:
Hello. I understand it's dangerous to buy packs from eBay because of 3 main reasons:

1. You may get fake cards
2. You may get repacks
3. Box-mapping can ensure that you get junk

However, I still bought 18 packs of Innistrad and 18 packs of Avacyn Restored from a reputable seller with only a few blemishes (of which none were MTG related). I think a combination of reasons 2 and 3 were at play here.

Some of the packs had some tear lines near the top and bottom (but not extending to the border of the back wrapper, they were little slits) and in all 36 packs I pulled 1 mythic rare (Tree of Redemption, which is essentially junk) and the other packs also contained complete junk. And I mean complete junk. The most valuable card I got was Gavony Township. Most of the rares (some duplicates) are worth 0.25 cents or 0.50 cents on popular sites like Card Kingdom and Troll and Toad.

I understand being lucky and unlucky sometimes. However, the amount of bad luck this would take over 36 packs is extremely high. And remember the packs looked like they may have been searched. Other than avoiding eBay (except for maybe sealed items like booster boxes, intro decks, etc.) can I do anything to punish this seller other than leave negative feedback? Can I get my money back for false advertising? But how could I even prove it? The packs are all opened and the wrappers are all torn up.

Why would you leave negative feedback? You bought and received 36 packs. Buyer's remorse is not an excuse, nor is it alone a reason to neg somebody.

ardeay
posted January 30, 2013 02:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
What was the cost?

Mr.C
posted January 30, 2013 02:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
Why would you leave negative feedback? You bought and received 36 packs. Buyer's remorse is not an excuse, nor is it alone a reason to neg somebody.

Also this.

slurpee
posted January 30, 2013 03:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
You bought packs, there is nothing that says that your store owner doesn't or didn't search your packs. You don't see people trying to return those...You can't prove anything except that you didn't get good cards. There is nothing from him that says you should or if you contacted him listen to your argument " I paid X dollars for these packs and I received X dollars in value" The packs were worth what you paid for them before you opened them.

If you had opened the packs and had 10 mythics in 18 packs would you be the guy that says " Hey I paid X dollars and got more mythics then I should have...let me pay you more...probably not"

Zeckk
posted January 30, 2013 03:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:

Tears on the booster wrapping is damaged product. That alone is worth the neg. As for the OP, sucks that you had to purchase 36 boosters to learn your lesson about loose boosters/repacks on ebay.

caquaa
posted January 30, 2013 05:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Zeckk:
Tears on the booster wrapping is damaged product. That alone is worth the neg. As for the OP, sucks that you had to purchase 36 boosters to learn your lesson about loose boosters/repacks on ebay.

those sound like the typical start tear they put on packs. Pretty sure they do this at least.

You bought packs, packs contain garbage, this isn't unusual at all. This has nothing to do w/ the seller but the fact you're expectations are too high. Packs contain garbage most of the time and aren't worth buying ever unless you enjoy opening packs. You should go buy some scratch off lotto tickets.... lol

MathWizardPimp
posted January 30, 2013 06:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MathWizardPimp Click Here to Email MathWizardPimp Send a private message to MathWizardPimp Click to send MathWizardPimp an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MathWizardPimp's Have/Want ListView MathWizardPimp's Have/Want List
I appreciate the feedback on this thread.

I understand that packs aren't always the best. But I have opened a lot of booster packs in my life and to open 36 packs (the equivalent of one booster box) and to get ONE mythic rare (which is junk) and 35 other rares all of but 1, maybe 2 are junk seems an incredibly low preposition and one I've never seen before.

To the poster who questioned whether or not I would say something if I got a bunch of mythics, I might suspect the validity of the cards themselves. Also, why would something like that ever happen? A seller has nothing to gain by opening packs an inserting valuable cards. When you (think you) have been ripped off, then of course you say something. Nearly everyone would do this.

To help me commiserate, could any of you share your tales of woe with opening booster packs? Something can can compete or surpass what I have experienced today?

A1phaMale
posted January 30, 2013 06:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
You likely bought boosters that came out of a mapped box. Essentially, a person can determine where all of the money packs are after opening 1 pack. They would then keep the money packs and sell the crappy packs on Ebay. In other words, never ever by loose packs.

2austin5
posted January 30, 2013 06:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for 2austin5 Click Here to Email 2austin5 Send a private message to 2austin5 Click to send 2austin5 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View 2austin5's Have/Want ListView 2austin5's Have/Want List
To Help ease your remorse a bit I bought a foreign Japanese AVR and russian also for 140-150 a piece. They were sealed and I pulled mythics, griselbrand, gisela and descent into madness. Did not get anywhere near my monies worth. But I can't complain too much because it was sole chance my boxes sucked

ardeay
posted January 30, 2013 07:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ardeay's Have/Want ListView ardeay's Have/Want List
I just bought a world wake fat pack, best card i pulled was a $2 rare, rest of the cards were rares under 50 cents, a junk foil. My rule is never buy packs, ever, unless they are to draft with. I broke my rule because of jace, god damn you jace!

I wont ever do that again

cards pile up anyway, buy singles

iccarus
posted January 30, 2013 08:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MathWizardPimp:
To help me commiserate, could any of you share your tales of woe with opening booster packs? Something can can compete or surpass what I have experienced today?

I once opened a box of Stronhold that had no rares or foils in it.

Can't believe I'm the first to post that

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

Zeckk
posted January 30, 2013 09:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Flipping a coin twice (with the same guy) over an uneven split on prize support at FNM. Once with a WWK pack, once with a ROE pack. Lost both times. WWK had Jace, ROE had Gideon. The upside is that this guy auto-concedes any uneven pack when we split prize support. Now I just need to actually open something of value. Maybe if I rub the pack on his head or something......

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Zeckk on January 30, 2013]

Jazaray
posted January 30, 2013 09:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:

Still funny!

Thanks,
Jazaray

Myy
posted January 30, 2013 10:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Jazaray:
Still funny!

Thanks,
Jazaray

agree. lol

paragondave
posted January 31, 2013 12:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:

as I understand it, you're not.

and yes, still funny.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by paragondave on January 31, 2013]

Deathbydrawing
posted January 31, 2013 06:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbydrawing Click Here to Email Deathbydrawing Send a private message to Deathbydrawing Click to send Deathbydrawing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Deathbydrawing's Have/Want ListView Deathbydrawing's Have/Want List
I bought a pack of French Revised for $75 and pulled 7 basic lands. The lands are worth at least $1 each, so I got about $10 in value out of the entire pack.

wjuseck
posted January 31, 2013 07:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wjuseck Click Here to Email wjuseck Send a private message to wjuseck Click to send wjuseck an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I will never forget the time I got 2/3 of a box of Zendikar and 1/3 a box of Worldwake as a prize for FNM. They were from brand new boxes. Best card opened was Day of Judgment.

I cannot speak to the seller's actions or motivations, but opening 36 random packs of two sets can often yield total garbage. Negative feedback based on bad pulls would be monstrous in my eyes.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by wjuseck on January 31, 2013]

MathWizardPimp
posted January 31, 2013 01:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MathWizardPimp Click Here to Email MathWizardPimp Send a private message to MathWizardPimp Click to send MathWizardPimp an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MathWizardPimp's Have/Want ListView MathWizardPimp's Have/Want List
Well there certainly are some sorrowful tales here. Thanks for the comfort lol.

caquaa
posted January 31, 2013 03:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
I do recall an 8 man zendikar draft we had. We redrafted rares. Some dude never won, this time he finally did. First place prize? goblin guide. A goblin guide in 24 packs of zendikar was the best thing...

Next week, top 6 got fetch lands.

Random happens

mm1983
posted January 31, 2013 03:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Some online stores sell packs like these for about 1/2 to 2/3 price of a normal pack price. Some people will buy packs like these just to have fun drafts. Best advice to anyone is don't buy loose booster packs on Ebay. Buy directly from a store if you want to buy loose packs solely for drafting purposes.

pugowar
posted February 01, 2013 03:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for pugowar Click Here to Email pugowar Send a private message to pugowar Click to send pugowar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View pugowar's Have/Want ListView pugowar's Have/Want List
One time about 2 years ago I bought 40 loose packs of Future Sight from Troll and Toad.

I pulled 2 to 3 copies of about a dozen rares.
I pulled 1 foil. and 0 Tarmogoyfs.

The silver lining.
I pulled 3 Sliver Legion and Grove of the Burnwillows
and 2 each of Pact of Negation, Bridge from Below, and Tombstalker!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League