Magic Discussion
  Proxies in Commander / EDH (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Proxies in Commander / EDH
keywacat
posted January 21, 2013 04:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
What do you lot think of people using proxies in Commander / EDH? I'm not asking about fake cards as in a vintage tournament, I'm asking about someone printing out images of cards they own at least one copy of because they're too lazy to transfer cards between decks.

Cheers for the discussion.

MagicPatty
posted January 21, 2013 05:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
Well, if the own the card, alright. I mean, its a casual format meant for fun, why let that bother you.

Also, consider this, if the guy wants to keep 3 EDH decks but doesn't want to spend more money on a card he already has, such as Sol Ring, it makes sense.

MAB_Rapper
posted January 21, 2013 05:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by keywacat:
What do you lot think of people using proxies in Commander / EDH? I'm not asking about fake cards as in a vintage tournament, I'm asking about someone printing out images of cards they own at least one copy of because they're too lazy to transfer cards between decks.

Cheers for the discussion.

The answer simply is no. If you are too lazy to make changes between decks, you shouldn't be playing multiple decks. The only time I ever proxy a card for EDH is just to test out a concept before I actually spend money on a card I don't already own.

WeedIan
posted January 21, 2013 06:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
It really depends on the situation.

2nd in posts in Canada
10th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

walkerdog
posted January 21, 2013 06:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
Don't care as long as it's not a tournament.

rockondon
posted January 21, 2013 07:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rockondon Click Here to Email rockondon Send a private message to rockondon Click to send rockondon an Instant MessageVisit rockondon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rockondon's Have/Want ListView rockondon's Have/Want List
I haven't had an issue with proxies. Although there was one guy who proxied a lot - mana drain, underground sea, fow, etc - and didn't own any of it but kept insisting that he was going to get them soon. I think he was getting a little overboard.

|~~My #1 Angel~~l'_|'_|_|)
|(@)(@)""***|(@)(@)**|(@)

Devonin
posted January 21, 2013 08:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
Sometimes you have the entire idea for a deck done, but you haven't managed to trade/buy/acquire all the cards you need for the deck and still want to play with it.

It took me an annoyingly long time to find anybody with a Tawnos' Coffin for my Sharuum EDH deck, so for a while there, I had a proxy for it.

I think if the reason you have a proxy is "This is a vital card for the deck to do what it does, I just haven't got one yet" it's totally fine.

But if it's "I want to proxy a bunch of utility cards that are just powerful and expensive because I'm too cheap to buy them" then you shouldn't.

The above example of the guy proxying mana drain and force of will is definitely the second 'not okay' case.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Devonin on January 21, 2013]

CoupDeGrace
posted January 21, 2013 08:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Does not matter much to me as it's not a tournament.

keywacat
posted January 21, 2013 08:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:
Sometimes you have the entire idea for a deck done, but you haven't managed to trade/buy/acquire all the cards you need for the deck and still want to play with it.

It took me an annoyingly long time to find anybody with a Tawnos' Coffin for my Sharuum EDH deck, so for a while there, I had a proxy for it.

I think if the reason you have a proxy is "This is a vital card for the deck to do what it does, I just haven't got one yet" it's totally fine.

But if it's "I want to proxy a bunch of utility cards that are just powerful and expensive because I'm too cheap to buy them" then you shouldn't.

The above example of the guy proxying mana drain and force of will is definitely the second 'not okay' case.

Again its not 'proxying' (counterfeiting) cards the guy doesn't own, its proxying cards that he owns at least one copy of and wants 'placeholders' in decks.

I did the same thing 10 years ago when I had a Library of Alexandria, made about 6 copies of the actual card I owned because I wanted to play it in every deck (its a Library of Alexandria, who wouldn't want one in every deck?) yet didn't want to constantly search it out and shuffle it in when switching decks.

I agree that 'proxying things you don't own a single copy of is beyond the pale.

Pail42
posted January 21, 2013 08:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Pail42's Have/Want ListView Pail42's Have/Want List
I don't have a problem playing proxies with my friends, but it really annoys me when I'm playing a stranger who is using proxies.

keywacat
posted January 21, 2013 08:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:
I don't have a problem playing proxies with my friends, but it really annoys me when I'm playing a stranger who is using proxies.

Even they are proxies of cards he owns, and can prove, on the spot, that he owns at least one copy of?

Sorry to keep on about this but I'm trying to look at my own feelings in the matter. Why should I / do I feel so strongly that every card should be the officially released version? (besides the obvious financial / legal issues surrounding WotC trademarks. Please leave that for another discussion)

Cheers for keeping it civil and honest so far.

hilikuS
posted January 21, 2013 08:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
We don't allow proxies, but do allow gold bordered cards.

Devonin
posted January 21, 2013 09:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by keywacat:
Again its not 'proxying' (counterfeiting) cards the guy doesn't own, its proxying cards that he owns at least one copy of and wants 'placeholders' in decks.

I did the same thing 10 years ago when I had a Library of Alexandria, made about 6 copies of the actual card I owned because I wanted to play it in every deck (its a Library of Alexandria, who wouldn't want one in every deck?) yet didn't want to constantly search it out and shuffle it in when switching decks.

I agree that 'proxying things you don't own a single copy of is beyond the pale.

I guess it depends on whether the plan is to actually -soon- get more copies of the card. If it is something very rare/expensive like a library or a time walk or whatever, I feel you should either suck it up and switch the card around, or decide which deck could use it best.

The general powerlevel of all my EDH decks could be increased if I was proxying cards I already own only one of, heaven knows a full suite of original and shock duals in every deck would be better than what I have. But part of the thing about owning a bunch of EDH decks is the ability of you and your friends to just grab a deck and play, both casually AND competitively.

If I have to tell people "Yeah I own 7 EDH decks, but only 1 at a time is actually playable, because I have to swap 15 cards out into whichever one I want to use" or "Yeah I own 7 EDH decks, but only one is tournament legal, because there are 15 proxies in every deck but this one" it's just no fun.

MagicPatty
posted January 21, 2013 10:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
Think of it this way...

Does it legitimately bother you to play against a proxy card?

My answer is no, but I suppose it's an opinion.
That said, if you and your pals all get together for a big 'ol hootin' game of EDH, is your night really sullied by Archie's fake Sol Ring? Really?

Devonin
posted January 21, 2013 10:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
Fake sol ring is fine (Though there are MILLIONS of them floating around, so it is really no excuse that you can't get one)

Fake "every extremely overpowered card worth more than 50 dollars each" is a little less fine.

fluffycow
posted January 21, 2013 11:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
Unless you are trying a deck idea out, I feel that you should have the cards for your deck. I really don't mind proxies on well known cards, but honestly, an underground sea is not that much different than a salt marsh if you are only in U/B. But if you are only using a handful of cards as proxies, it's really no big deal, but if half of your hand has sharpie marks on them, then it's just too annoying

mcelraca
posted January 21, 2013 12:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
I think I'm just reiterating what everyone else has said.

What is boils down to for me is why are their proxies in the deck. Just because you can't afford a card isn't a good enough reason. If you want to try the card out, that's cool just let me know beforehand.

Personal experience with this. I play casual and was making a mill deck that had a lot of $$$ under the hood (for a casual deck). After assembling some of the pieces the price was just too much. I ended up exchanging 4x intuition for 4x Gifts ungiven. I managed to cut a nice sized expense off the deck, but didn't have to really change the deck around much.

One of the main reasons I like Magic as much as I do is because there are always alternatives.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mcelraca on January 22, 2013]

Volcanon
posted January 21, 2013 01:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Proxy away. Just make them nice proxies and expect to explain what they are all the time.

MasterWolf
posted January 21, 2013 01:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
I don't like proxies. But if they own the card, I'll usually allow it.

Mr.C
posted January 21, 2013 02:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
I do that all the time. I printed out proxies of duals with the MTGO cube art, people seem to like them.

I also don't care if someone proxies stuff they don't own. I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch because OMG he's proxying a bunch of expensive cards. Who cares, really.

I do have a problem if someone writes 'Imperial Seal' on a basic land. At least make it look nice.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Mr.C on January 21, 2013]

Zeckk
posted January 21, 2013 03:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
This thread is hilarious. Moreso for the reasons why proxying is OK or NOT OK, specifically. Heck, EDH as a format is hilarious. It's casual, but it's also rife with pimped decks. It has a ban list, but everyone has their own personal "I hate these cards" list. The correct way to win varies from player to player, ranging from "anything goes" to "sometimes you just need to let the guy with the pauper sliver deck win, otherwise you are a tryhard".

Call me cynical, but EDH suffers too much from the "MY EDH DECK DEFINES ME AS A PERSON" syndrome that's typical of newer players. Personally, I don't care one iota about proxies. I don't sit down for a game of EDH to be impressed (or insulted) at the level of pimpness in my opponent's deck.

nderdog
posted January 21, 2013 03:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Isn't this really a discussion for your playgroup? I don't think the locals here would really give a crap about what some guys online think is right, it's what we as a group decide to allow.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

keywacat
posted January 21, 2013 04:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
Isn't this really a discussion for your playgroup? I don't think the locals here would really give a crap about what some guys online think is right, it's what we as a group decide to allow.

It is, but I wanted to see what the MOTL community came up with, get a wider feel if you will. Our group isn't terribly static and I thought an unscientific poll would help predict how new members may look at the idea.

Myself, I don't care about proxies, especially if it helps bring someone's deck up to where they want it to be thematically.

Bagbokk
posted January 21, 2013 07:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If we're just playing for fun (and I don't think I've ever played EDH for anything other than fun), I probably wouldn't mind if someone had 100 proxies in the deck, whether they own the cards or not. If it's a stranger and not a friend I'd like to know beforehand, though.

The theory and spirit behind that thought, however, is that I'd like people to be able to build whatever they'd like to play in this CASUAL format/game that we're playing. It's not even just expensive stuff; a lot of $3-5 cards can be hard to find for people, especially ones that don't go buy/trade online for whatever reason. It's possible to violate the spirit behind my "proxy 100 cards if you want!" if you just proxy up every expensive card and mash it into your deck, but then you probably aren't playing EDH for fun and I probably wouldn't play with you again anyway, proxies or not.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Bagbokk on January 21, 2013]

rockondon
posted January 23, 2013 01:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rockondon Click Here to Email rockondon Send a private message to rockondon Click to send rockondon an Instant MessageVisit rockondon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rockondon's Have/Want ListView rockondon's Have/Want List
I'd rather take a good proxy over a foreign real card that has to be explained what it does to everybody.

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League