Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Is your collection unique in any way? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Is your collection unique in any way?
paris
posted December 03, 2012 09:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paris Click Here to Email paris Send a private message to paris Click to send paris an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Is your collection the only one in the world that has some particular set of cards, or is your collection just a subset of the cards available online at SCG, ABU, magiccardmarket.eu, etc?

For example, do you have particular artist-doodled proofs, altered/personalized cards, or original art that nobody else does? Or do you have more of any particular card than any other collection or store inventory in the world?

If not, does this bother you at all?

gaeacradle
posted December 03, 2012 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
The point of a collection *mostly* is to collect the cards that you like, so there is no point of it being "unique" in other people's eyes. I couldn't care less if my collection is "unique" or not to other people, because it is to me. Anything else is just for ego stroking.

For instance, I have one of each of Beta P9 (plus Vault), and 40 FBB/Beta/Alpha duals, but the ones that I absolutely love the most are my Cradle, Birds and Elves collection. Those are probably the ones I will also keep if I ever decided to cash out.

Thanos
posted December 03, 2012 10:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paris:
Is your collection the only one in the world that has some particular set of cards, or is your collection just a subset of the cards available online at SCG, ABU, magiccardmarket.eu, etc?

For example, do you have particular artist-doodled proofs, altered/personalized cards, or original art that nobody else does? Or do you have more of any particular card than any other collection or store inventory in the world?

Yes.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Thanos on December 03, 2012]

majicman
posted December 03, 2012 11:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
I am not sure how unique it is, other than I am its' owner.

It was over 300,000+ cards at one time and now closer to 150,000 :0) I continue to purge it as I have time and more mindful of what the final look will be.

Not sure how unique, but I have 3 playsets of 40 RV, FBB and UL duals and 1 set each of Beta to Planeshift (no Alpha).

I do have some of the WOTC storage boxes in it that are very hard to find and some prints from the artists (Natural Selection, Demonic Tutor, Hurk's recall, Martyr's Cry) that I have picked up along the years when I see them.

As a collector, I think we work to complete things that fill a void in a collection in how we see it. Some collect specific cards either for the title, art, "funkiness" or flavor text of a card that resonates with the individual.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by majicman on December 03, 2012]

Hooskdaddy
posted December 03, 2012 11:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My friend collects artist proofs and on the back he either gets the artist to draw an evil bunny or a militant monkey. Strange....but so is he. lol

majicman
posted December 03, 2012 11:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Hooskdaddy:
My friend collects artist proofs and on the back he either gets the artist to draw an evil bunny or a militant monkey. Strange....but so is he. lol

Now that is unique and very funny!

Volcanon
posted December 03, 2012 11:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I've got about 140 pre-release lu bus now.

Nyarlathotep333
posted December 03, 2012 11:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nyarlathotep333 Click Here to Email Nyarlathotep333 Send a private message to Nyarlathotep333 Click to send Nyarlathotep333 an Instant MessageVisit Nyarlathotep333's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yes and no. I've collected a few different sets so pretty not-special there...

I do have a bunch of art proofs, some with artist alters or drawings on the back. I've got a few lower-end misprints and a bunch of signed stuff as well.

The one part of my collection that is really special (to me anyways) is that when Prophecy first came out I absolutely loved the Avatars. I proceeded to collect one of each non-foil, foil, and the pre-release Avatar of Hope and then got rk Post to sign them. I also purchased a set of the art proofs from him and commissioned sketches of each on blank Pro-Tour cards. Recently, I've decided to 'catch up' on the reprints (though only the rk Post art). I've acquired signed versions of each of the Avatar of Woe reprints and am in the process of getting a hold of foil and non-foil versions of War and Might reprints. I've also acquired a Pro-Tour foil Avatar of Woe so I'm almost again at a complete set of rk Post avatar cards. Are they worth much? Nope. Do I care? Nope, they're still favorites of mine and I'm pretty happy with them.

Also, I recently broke the 100 mark with my collection of Memnites Yay!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Nyarlathotep333 on December 03, 2012]

JoshSherman
posted December 03, 2012 12:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
I pimped a Chronicles set.

implode
posted December 03, 2012 02:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
I believe I have the largest non commercial collection of dragon cards...though that is up for debate.

Fiber13
posted December 03, 2012 02:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Fiber13 Click Here to Email Fiber13 Send a private message to Fiber13 Click to send Fiber13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Fiber13's Have/Want ListView Fiber13's Have/Want List
Original art-yes.

Jazaray
posted December 03, 2012 02:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's mine.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Melaleuca, go ahead, ask me what it is...

TimeBeing
posted December 03, 2012 02:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I got a large collection of Tony Diterlizzi Artist proofs.
And even a few Artist Proofs from the Netrunner card game.

I have the revised Aladdin's Lamp I opened from my first starter. And 2 of the 3 rares i opened from the 3 Legends packs I opened when I started playing. (Mirror Universe and Nicole Bolas.)
I also enjoy the fact i own 2 Black Lotuses.

coolio
posted December 03, 2012 02:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
must have all the mana drains.. om nom.. =D

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

southparker2002
posted December 03, 2012 04:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for southparker2002 Click Here to Email southparker2002 Send a private message to southparker2002 Click to send southparker2002 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View southparker2002's Have/Want ListView southparker2002's Have/Want List
I collect the Dolls (Creepy, Stuffy, and Voodoo). I have a Creepy Doll altered by Matt Stewart with my head being cut off by the doll. I have several alters. I like them. I also have the full set of Urza's Legacy and a little over half the set signed. Working on the rest.

ectomanic
posted December 03, 2012 04:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ectomanic Click Here to Email ectomanic Send a private message to ectomanic Click to send ectomanic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
have about 500 dark rituals in my collection. all in a large binder. when doing trades with people its the first binder i let them see. always shocks them.

psrex
posted December 03, 2012 07:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
I have a Divine Intervention signed by Tom Wylie (one of the first official rules people at WotC along with bethmo) that I'll hang onto. I'm sure that I have more Worlds Championship decks, Vanguard and Planechase than the average collector, but probably nothing else is unique. Some day I want to get a Mox Pearl signed by Tom Christiansen, who ran mox.perl.com, which was one of the first places online that you could look up what a card did.

MTDetermine
posted December 03, 2012 07:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have 1000+ Hymn to Tourach. Not sure if anyone else collect this. Since I heard that FE has 400m print run, my interest has declined a bit. Guess I will just maintain at 1000 Hymn, 250 of each picture.........

I also have a large land "collection" but I am always ready to sell the lands for profits, so I guess they are more of "trading fodder" instead of "collection" even though the numbers can be large?

Volcanon
posted December 03, 2012 07:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTDetermine:
I have 1000+ Hymn to Tourach. Not sure if anyone else collect this. Since I heard that FE has 400m print run, my interest has declined a bit. Guess I will just maintain at 1000 Hymn, 250 of each picture.........

I also have a large land "collection" but I am always ready to sell the lands for profits, so I guess they are more of "trading fodder" instead of "collection" even though the numbers can be large?

I guess me too for the lands. I have stacks of those ugly as sin MPS lands from original ravnica, but am slowly selling them since now they are worth something. After years of tingxuan flooding the market with cheap full sets so nobody would buy this junk from me. But now I am winnar.

Havoc Demon
posted December 03, 2012 10:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be shocked if I was the only person with a textless Tedin signed Grim Tutor. Haven't seen anyone alter it like that.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

Nintengirl
posted December 04, 2012 08:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nintengirl Click Here to Email Nintengirl Send a private message to Nintengirl Click to send Nintengirl an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This thread needs more pictures.

caquaa
posted December 04, 2012 09:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
After years of tingxuan flooding the market with cheap full sets so nobody would buy this junk from me. But now I am winnar.

I somehow don't find this believable.

yakusoku
posted December 04, 2012 09:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
1 of every 800 Blood of the Martyr card from the Dark (English) is in a binder in my room.

HERE is a picture of half of them (the other half are on the reverse side of the pages) from awhile back, when I had slightly fewer.

At my current rate of acquisition, it'll still take me years to get anywhere close to 1%.

Shadows
posted December 04, 2012 09:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Shadows Click Here to Email Shadows Send a private message to Shadows Click to send Shadows an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm currently rocking about ~2900 copies of Nantuko Shade. I need a few more languages before I try to get the artist to sign one of each language, from each set, and in both foil and non-foil. Wouldn't mind seeing if he'd do some alterations as well, but I imagine after all the signing, he'll hate me.

Haha I plan on paying him quite a nice premium though, so maybe we'll be able to work something out.

Other than that, I only have a legacy/standard deck, not much of a collection, so nothing really unique.

majicman
posted December 04, 2012 10:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by ectomanic:
have about 500 dark rituals in my collection. all in a large binder. when doing trades with people its the first binder i let them see. always shocks them.

I had over 500+ of these at one time. I've gotten rid of about 200 (mostly to MTDetermine).

Still have about 300 or so and about 12 A/B ones, but no foils though

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League