Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  What box should I buy?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What box should I buy?
GremCards
posted June 13, 2012 08:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for GremCards Click Here to Email GremCards Send a private message to GremCards Click to send GremCards an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about buying a booster box, and then sitting on it for awhile and sell it when the value of it goes up. What set do you guys feel would be the best investment this way?

AlmostGrown
posted June 13, 2012 08:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
If you're really set on this, New Phyrexia. BTW this is just a strictly worse idea than investing in the stock market or mutual funds or something like that.

paragondave
posted June 13, 2012 09:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
I keep getting emails from some guy selling Alpha, Beta and Unlimited booster boxes cheap!! Those sound like a great investment!

Seriously, any Innistrad block boxes are cheap and should go up.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by paragondave on June 13, 2012]

Soldier Boi
posted June 13, 2012 11:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AlmostGrown:
If you're really set on this, New Phyrexia. BTW this is just a strictly worse idea than investing in the stock market or mutual funds or something like that.

++

Zeckk
posted June 13, 2012 03:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by AlmostGrown:

Strongly disagree with this statement. Aside from gitaxian probe and sword of war and peace, there isn't a group of cards in NPH that has exhibited eternal playability or casual appeal. You want to sit on a box? Sit on Zendikar or Worldwake. Might be a little late to jump on the worldwake ship, but both boxes guarantee 36 full-art lands, and in ZEN's case you have the fetch cycle, lotus cobra, some modern boros cards, and a few other decent playables that could retain value if they don't see reprint in the next 2 years.

CrazyBones
posted June 13, 2012 03:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyBones Click Here to Email CrazyBones Send a private message to CrazyBones Click to send CrazyBones an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CrazyBones's Have/Want ListView CrazyBones's Have/Want List
I have to disagree with the stock market idea. From your post, it sounds like you only have enough money for a box ($100-$125) and that isn't enough to consider typical investment strategies.

Besides, not only is investing money on a company and its performance more risky than the return on a magic booster box, buying stock actually costs you money!

I have to side with Zeckk on this. Zendikar wouldn't be a bad option. Heck, Avacyn Restored has turned out to be a decent $ set and you should be able to get the boxes for a very reasonable price.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by CrazyBones on June 13, 2012]

Bagbokk
posted June 13, 2012 03:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
NPH would have been a good short-term investment a few months ago, but for buying boxes to sit around, meh. ZEN/WWK might eventually hit Rav block type prices (might) but will take a while, their prices have already gone up for now. INN/AVR aren't bad but you'll be sitting on those for years before they go up enough for you to want to sell them too.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Bagbokk on June 13, 2012]

Zeckk
posted June 13, 2012 05:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Bagbokk:
NPH would have been a good short-term investment a few months ago, but for buying boxes to sit around, meh. ZEN/WWK might eventually hit Rav block type prices (might) but will take a while, their prices have already gone up for now. INN/AVR aren't bad but you'll be sitting on those for years before they go up enough for you to want to sell them too.

Innistrad might be the cheapest and most-viable option, now that I think about it. Snapcaster, delver, liliana, possibly garruk for modern, geist of saint traft, and a few commons/uncommons have seen a bit of eternal play. Still doesn't beat ZEN for average pack value, but as was said earlier, ZEN and WWK boxes have already jumped in price.

psrex
posted June 13, 2012 06:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
I would get a box of Innistrad or Avacyn Restored.

Havoc Demon
posted June 13, 2012 06:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Seems pointless if you are just planning to buy a single box. I would just try to flip a collection if you could.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

MeddlingMage
posted June 13, 2012 06:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
1. Zendikar
2a. Innistrad
2b. Avacy Restored

~MM

CM Punk "OMG Kevin Nash WTF, thought he was dead, LOL"

New keeper of the Logout button

TimeBeing
posted June 13, 2012 06:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
one argument for NPH is that the free cards always have a chance of suddenly becoming really good and price spike some time down the road. Free spells tend to do that.

That being said ZEN is good too for the lands (see unhinged) and the fetches for long term value.

sigfig8
posted June 14, 2012 05:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for sigfig8 Click Here to Email sigfig8 Send a private message to sigfig8 Click to send sigfig8 an Instant MessageVisit sigfig8's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Although the price has risen some already, I'm surprised no one mentioned Unhinged yet. Unglued boxes sell for in the 300's nowadays, and Unhinged boxes are in the low 200's. Considering how Unhinged lands are more expensive and and come in foils, I could see Unhinged boxes increasing further.

At least, if you're looking for something less traditional.

coolio
posted June 14, 2012 06:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I love these posts.. where the OP thinks they can do what they've seen some people try- that it's easy to turn around and profit on the game, but has no clue, and thus ask for help from the community with the answers coming from a bunch of people who thinks they have a clue.. haha

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

GremCards
posted June 14, 2012 09:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for GremCards Click Here to Email GremCards Send a private message to GremCards Click to send GremCards an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you don't have anything productive to add to this discussion, I would kindly ask you to **** off.

Everyone else, thanks for the input.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by GremCards on June 14, 2012]

keywacat
posted June 14, 2012 02:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
I love these posts.. where the OP thinks they can do what they've seen some people try- that it's easy to turn around and profit on the game, but has no clue, and thus ask for help from the community with the answers coming from a bunch of people who thinks they have a clue.. haha

©

It is easy. Buy a box of something and sit on it, the price is bound to go up as long as the game doesn't die.

I'd say buy Avacyn Restored, or rather 36 Cavern of Souls lottery tickets. That will definitely keep a high price if not reprinted over the long term.

The Planechase 2012 decks, at least Night of the Ninja, is something else you might consider holding.

As with other respondents, I would caution you not to consider it an investment, but another element of playing the game.

Cheers;
keywacat

harbingerofthevoid
posted June 14, 2012 03:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by keywacat:
It is easy. Buy a box of something and sit on it, the price is bound to go up as long as the game doesn't die.

yep. It doesn't really matter. It soundsliek you don't have the funds to buy enough to actually make real money so just buy Return to Ravnica on pre-sell when it's cheap.

You can at least do what I seem to do. Buy several boxes. Draft out of two and leave the other one alone. Sell it when it goes up to pay for the next boxes you get.

GremCards
posted June 14, 2012 04:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GremCards Click Here to Email GremCards Send a private message to GremCards Click to send GremCards an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Well how much do you think I need yo make "real money?"

flophaus
posted June 14, 2012 07:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
People arguing with Coolio is always funny... because they are alwasys wrong! Heh...

If I were going to sit on a box right now... I'd do the AVR. Seems solid enough. That, or INN.

I personally like the "larger" sets, because there always seems to be more money cards in a larger set... (just basic math here) and when you get a pack it could theoretically contain anything from that set, so that's why I like the larger sets in this regard.

Zeckk
posted June 14, 2012 08:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:
People arguing with Coolio is always funny... because they are alwasys wrong! Heh...

If I were going to sit on a box right now... I'd do the AVR. Seems solid enough. That, or INN.

I personally like the "larger" sets, because there always seems to be more money cards in a larger set... (just basic math here) and when you get a pack it could theoretically contain anything from that set, so that's why I like the larger sets in this regard.

To expand upon that point - When looking at the average value of a set, it really helps if the set has a cycle of playable rares/mythics, sometimes even uncommons if they make a large enough impact on an older format.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League