Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Re: An Open Note to the People Who Stole $10K of Cards From Me and My Friends (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Re: An Open Note to the People Who Stole $10K of Cards From Me and My Friends
Malacoda
posted March 12, 2012 08:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Malacoda Click Here to Email Malacoda Send a private message to Malacoda Click to send Malacoda an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Dave, Jacob, and I made our way down to the GP this weekend preparing to play some awesome Legacy, meet some awesome people, and make some awesome trades. And all of that was going pretty well, until this morning when we came back from checking out of our hotel and found what you'd done to Jacob's car. You smashed the right backseat window, stole all of our bags, and left glass all over the place. We had been gone for 10 minutes, 15 minutes max, while we were checking out and getting breakfast. I guess you had the courtesy to not steal Dave's coat, but that's about it. You were probably watching us from one of the hotel windows, and once we put our stuff in the car you ran down, elbowed that window open, and stole our bags. Thanks for that. I guess in the future I'll know that no matter what, even if I'm just taking five minutes to check out of my hotel room and get a muffin, my cards will never be safe because disgusting people like you still somehow exist. And of course, you didn't just take our cards. You took away our experience, ruined our weekend, inconvenienced us beyond belief, and completely negated all the effort we had put into building our decks and preparing for this. You took my favorite deck, 43 Lands, and you took UR Delver from Jacob and UW Stoneblade from Dave.

Below is a list of some of the stuff we had stolen. We're not exactly sure on the details, since you've got our binders, but we got down what we can remember. I'll be updating this as I remember more things you scored.

$100+

1 Ancestral Recall (UL)
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (Italian)
1 Mana Drain (Italian)

$50-100

9 Force of Will
5 Tropical Island (REV)
4 Volcanic Island (REV)
3 Scrubland (REV)
3 Dark Confidant (Russian)
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Savannah (REV)
1 Bayou (REV)
1 Plateau (REV)
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Mana Crypt (altered - Pac-Man)
1 Wasteland (Player Rewards Foil)

$20-50

11 Wasteland
9 Snapcaster Mage
6 Mox Diamond (SH)
5 Hallowed Fountain
4 Watery Grave
4 Exploration
4 Rishadan Port
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant (2 EvT)
3 City of Traitors
3 Entomb (2 PDS: Graveborn)
3 Maze of Ith (1 Italian)
3 Arcbound Ravager
3 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Polluted Delta
3 Vindicate
2 Crucible of Worlds (1 Russian)
2 Lion's Eye Diamond
2 Sword of Feast and Famine
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Sword of War and Peace
2 Doubling Season
2 Wooded Foothills (1 signed)
2 Cryptic Command
2 Thoughtseize
1 Foil Stoneforge Mystic
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Godless Shrine
1 Engineered Explosives (Foil)
1 Damnation
1 Azusa, Lost But Seeking (Foil)
1 Karakas
1 Survival of the Fittest (French)
1 Angel's Grace (Russian Foil)
1 Lord of the Undead (Russian Foil 9th)
1 Dralnu, Lich Lord (Russian Foil)
1 Windswept Heath
1 Dark Confidant (Portugese)
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tooth and Nail (foil)
1 Mutavault
1 Blood Moon (Russian BB 9th)
1 Forest (Guru)

$10-20

9 Spell Snare
9 Aether Vial
8 Enlightened Tutor (Mirage)
8 Hero of Bladehold (5 promo)
8 Stifle
8 Blood Moon
7 Arid Mesa
7 Ancient Tomb
7 Mox Opal
7 Life From the Loam (3 Russian)
6 Verdant Catacombs
6 Sensei's Divining Top
6 Marsh Flats
5 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
5 Magus of the Moon (1 Italian)
5 Misty Rainforest
5 Ethersworn Canonist
5 Ratchet Bomb
5 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Pernicious Deed
4 Chrome Mox (Mirrodin)
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Chord of Calling
4 Tooth and Nail
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought (Mirage)
4 Lightning Bolt (Beta)
4 Chain Lightning (Italian Legends)
3 Seachrome Coast
3 Consecrated Sphinx
2 Darkslick Shores
2 Vampiric Tutor (Visions)
2 Maelstrom Pulse (1 GP foil)
2 Knight of the Reliquary (KvD)
2 Engineered Explosives (1 Chinese)
2 Phantasmal Image
2 Bribery
2 Dark Depths
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Mishra's Factory (Winter Antiquities)
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Propaganda (Korean)
1 City of Brass (FBB Italian)
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Grim Monolith
1 Gravecrawler (Buy-A-Box foil)
1 Raven's Crime (Russian Foil)
1 Pact of Negation
1 Batterskull
1 Olivia Voldaren (Foil)
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Tower of the Magistrate (Japanese)
1 Lord of Atlantis (JSS Foil)
1 Marit Lage Token (Foil with Vertical Cutline)
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn (Promo Foil)

$5-10
10 Phyrexian Metamorph
9 Sealed Dark Ascension Booster Packs
8 Sol Ring
7 Surgical Extraction
6 Time Warp
6 Wrath of God
5 Kitchen Finks
5 Green Sun's Zenith
5 Sunken Ruins
5 Demonic Tutor (1 Altered)
5 Isochron Scepter
5 Etched Champion
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Mystic Gate
4 Horizon Canopy
4 Gilded Lotus
4 Chaos Warp
3 Geralf's Messenger
3 Mirari's Wake
3 Chalice of the Void
3 Ichorid
3 Smokestack
3 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
2 Strangleroot Geist (Game Day)
2 Manabond
2 Humility
2 Trinisphere (FTV foil)
2 Debtors' Knell
2 Extirpate
2 Isolated Chapel
2 All is Dust
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Seedborn Muse (Russian FBB 9th)
1 Desertion
1 Summoner's Pact
1 Goryo's Vengeance (foil)
1 Academy Ruins (Russian)
1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Mishra's Factory (Spring Antiquities)
1 Drogskol Captain (Foil)
1 Fetid Heath
1 Ponder (Textless)

1 Artist Proof Skull Collector (Thomas Baxa, original art on backside of card)
1 Artist Proof Masako the Humorless (Ben Thompson, original art on backside of card)

5 Altered Lightning Bolt
1 Altered The Mimeoplasm
2 Altered Animar, Soul of Elements,
1 Altered Riku of Two Reflections
1 Altered Intet, The Dreamer
3 Altered Beta Island
1 Altered Ghave, Guru of Spores
1 Altered Return to Dust
1 Altered Kresh the Bloodbraided

The Apathyhouse total for all of our stuff is $8,516.20. And you all know very well that Apathy doesn't account for alters or foreign foils very well, and half of the data is months old. It most definitely doesn't account for the fact that it took us a lot of time to get these things together. So in addition to stealing multiple playsets of top-tier Legacy, EDH, Modern, and Standard staples from us, you grabbed things that took us incredible effort to find. I already traded everything I had to make Lands once. Thanks for making me do it again. I really doubt you're going to appreciate my set of Russian Tolaria West the same way I would, and you definitely aren't going to play my friends' EDH decks with a fraction of they passion they played with. You also managed to take hundreds of other things of value - not just the piles of $1-4 cards we had, but also the beautiful altered cards done by my friend Eli Lisseck. I was taking them to the Grand Prix as an opportunity to show off his work, and to maybe help him get some recognition. You stole that from him, too, and you stole the cards that we were trading for our friends. They're out money now, and they were back home in Ohio.

You broke into my friend's car. You stole all of the cards we needed to play with and trade with, and you stole everything from our bags as well. That included Dave's house keys and car keys, his $70 work bag, his $300 Ray-Bans, his $150 Beats earbuds, my $90 camera, my $150 Russian textbook, and all of our playmats and boxes and dice. Thanks, man. I'm 18. I'm a college freshman, and I can't even do my homework tonight because you stole my backpack and my textbook. I'm going to have to rebuy everything, and I can't even sell cards to pay for it. Jacob is going to have to pay $300 to fix the window your elbow so kindly shattered.

At Grand Prix Baltimore, you stole Justin Parnell's cube and you smashed people's faces into bathroom walls so you could mug them for their cards. Maybe you didn't hurt us physically this time. And $10,000 divided amongst three people is a lot easier to work with than $20,000 for just Justin. But we are not going to stand for this anymore. All of the dealers in the area and in the area are on the lookout for you and our cards. Our very distinctive cards, which you were so smart to steal. Many people at the GP had heard about this by the time the day was over, and people are going to just keep hearing about it. A lot of people helped us out today. They said they'd keep an eye out for our stuff, and they helped us get started on our collections again. We thank them for that; it means more to us than anything that some players really do care, really are honest. And we're going to find you. Me, Dave, Jacob, Justin, and all of the other honest players out there. The Magic community as a whole is not going to stand for thievery any longer. Eventually, we're going to catch up with you. And you're all going to regret what you've done.

Please spread this message to everyone you can. Thank you.

Please contact me at mmoritzr@oberlin.edu if you have information at all. Thanks.

hilikuS
posted March 12, 2012 08:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
You probably thought of it already, but I feel obligated to ask anyway.

Cameras in the hotel parking lot maybe?

A1phaMale
posted March 12, 2012 10:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
Sorry for your loss. Speaking from experience and having most of my magic collection stolen out of my car about 8 years ago. I was able to track them down and have them thrown into jail with the help of the police, a store owner, a sting operation, and their sheer stupidity. I had solved not only my problem, but a string of thefts in the area, all done by the same lowlifes that stole my collection.

See post above and file police report (if you haven't already). If you really think it was someone in the hotel, the police may be able to get a record of who was in the hotel, but you would still need more information to narrow down the list. Also, I think it varies from state to state, but theft of >$5,000 by the lowlifes I put in prison for several years is considered a felony in my state. Contact local card/comic stores, online stores, and look through Ebay auctions from time to time. Search for the most liquid and distinct cards from your collection, and possibly other items stolen from the car. Criminals always slip up, you just have to be vigilante and patient.

scipio624
posted March 12, 2012 12:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for scipio624 Click Here to Email scipio624 Send a private message to scipio624 Click to send scipio624 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hey Mark, sorry for what happened. I troll ebay pretty religiously, I'll keep an eye out for anything that may help. Do you have pictures or scans of any of your alters? Those would probably be the easiest to pick out as definitely being your things. Email me if you have any, thanks.

majicman
posted March 12, 2012 01:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
Sorry for your loss, dude.

I feel for ya as I have lost cards as well to people stealing at conventions and even at casual play.

I have no idea on where you put your cards, but would suggest to all to put your stuff away in the trunk of your car and not visible from your windows. Gives people a reason to break windows and steal your stuff (I left a bag for work visible in my front seat - looked like a laptop bag - and had the ole smash and grab done on my car). Luckily the only thing they stole was my checkbook and inconvenience of cleaning the mess, window replaced, and switching to a new checking account.

Again, sorry for your loss and hope they catch the thieves!

Regards...Greg

Timmyhill
posted March 12, 2012 05:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Timmyhill Click Here to Email Timmyhill Send a private message to Timmyhill Click to send Timmyhill an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Timmyhill's Have/Want ListView Timmyhill's Have/Want List
I agree pictures or scans of the alters would be a big help.

Timmy!
posted March 12, 2012 06:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Timmy! Click Here to Email Timmy! Send a private message to Timmy! Click to send Timmy! an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Timmy!'s Have/Want ListView Timmy!'s Have/Want List
My condolences for you and your friend's losses. It's because of people like this that ruin things for the rest of the class. I completely agree with A1phaMale and would start by immediately ((if you have not done so already)) filing a police report and from there trying to check with the security at the hotel and see if you can get an idea of what this person(s) look like. Ten grand of cards is definitely worthy enough in my eyes to prosecute whoever had done this to the furthest extent of the law. You guys will be in my prayers for your cards to be returned safely.

mm1983
posted March 12, 2012 07:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I have never had a mass amount of cards stolen from me before but being in the automobile business we have had to deal with people stealing stuff from new cars. In 2003 we had a set of Subaru WRX wheels stolen from the dealership so we first were able to track down who we thought was the guy that stole the wheels through eBay as he was from the same state and the wheels fit the description of what we had stolen from us. In order to get our wheels back we ironically enough had him come back to steal another set of Subaru WRX wheels to sell back to us because he had the first set of wheels sold to another person although it was never planned on our part to have a 2nd set of wheels stolen from us. As a result of this he had us meet him at his house to buy the 2nd set of wheels he stole from us where we then found the first set of wheels he stole from us. Needless to say we were able to have him arrested, recovered both sets of our own wheels, and recovered a set of high performance Porsche wheels for another person who works for another dealership.

I'm not saying having more of your stuff get stolen to get back your original stuff is the answer but I would definitely check eBay for what would look to be a collection of your stuff for sale. In your case too, definitely check with the hotel you were staying at, state and local police, and local card shops.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mm1983 on March 12, 2012]

Malacoda
posted March 12, 2012 07:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Malacoda Click Here to Email Malacoda Send a private message to Malacoda Click to send Malacoda an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your support. We called the police immediately after the incident occurred, and they showed up within 10 minutes. Unfortunately, as is often the case with these kinds of thefts, there wasn't much for them to go on. You can't get prints off a pile of glass. No cameras in the hotel parking lot

I have scans of some of the alters posted on this same thread here, on MTGTheSource.

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

mm1983
posted March 12, 2012 07:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Malacoda:

Thank you all for your support. We called the police immediately after the incident occurred, and they showed up within 10 minutes. Unfortunately, as is often the case with these kinds of thefts, there wasn't much for them to go on. You can't get prints off a pile of glass. No cameras in the hotel parking lot

I have scans of some of the alters posted on this same thread here, on MTGTheSource.

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

Unique one of a kind alters being sold online will be a dead give away for who stole your cards.

gcowhsu
posted March 13, 2012 09:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for gcowhsu Click Here to Email gcowhsu Click to send gcowhsu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gcowhsu's Trade Auction or SaleView gcowhsu's Trade Auction or Sale
This is sad to read about and hear and hopefully people will start to realize that this Magic game is not just a game. Many of us have invested lots of money into this game and we need to start treating it as such. It still baffles me that people leave their fully powered legacy decks on tables and ask people to watch it while they go to the bathroom or pay for a tournament fee. Congrats you just left $1000-$2000 on the table and that's just stupid. On top of that you just did that to people who know the value of that. You might as well just threw $1000-$2000 dollars CASH on the table and say hey guys don't touch this please. Don't be that idiot that shows off their 4 Foil Goyfs to EVERYONE. If you have them and use them in your deck then fine, but don't brag about it or you are asking to get robbed.

People need to start treating these cards like cash and ask themselves would I leave $XXXX amount of dollars or turn my back on $XXXX for a short bit of time. Most of us would say no, but we have no problems leaving these cards around. I took stock of my two legacy decks and I'm very aware that I have $3000 pretty liquid on me and I NEVER carry that around in cash. If I do i'm SUPER paranoid and I live in like the safest area in the country.

Maybe because i'm kind of older now, but I'd never leave $10,000 just lying in my car like that for any amount of time. Hopefully you can recoup your losses, but this is just a warning to everyone out there. Treat it like cash because that's what those thieves did.

I think at card shops people let their guard down because there is a a sense of reputation and the fact that if you do something shady you may never be able to come back and you need a place to play and stuff like that. However, at a GP or SCG whatever people are anonymous and there is no chance of repeat visibility so you have to be even more careful.

TLDR - Cards are cash, lots of people would be tempted to break into a car and take 10 Grand just lying there.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by gcowhsu on March 13, 2012]

implode
posted March 13, 2012 12:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
Hope everyone can learn a lesson from this guy. Huge lesson about car safety here. Always lock valuables in your trunk. I've known this lesson all my life, because my parents got robbed in st louis twice. Once the groceries out of their back seat. Another time a roofrack off their car when picking up lumber. You can never be to safe when it comes to locking things down.

My condolences.

flophaus
posted March 13, 2012 01:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Be careful not to just automatically assume that a person selling these easily identifiable cards is the same person that stole them.

I would bet these criminals just traded them off instantly to get rid of the stuff and so be able to put the evidence far away from them.

Or if they are not complete morons they would just never try to sell that stuff and just perhaps junk it?

smash
posted March 13, 2012 02:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for smash Send a private message to smash Click to send smash an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sorry to read about this. Had nearly the same thing happen to me a long time ago. Only my story is a bit harsher.

Back in the day, shortly after FE came out, I was working on separating and sorting all of my "better" cards. Had all of my stuff with me in the trunk of my car at work (was doing it at work....family business). Walked out from the building and saw a bunch of MTG cards all over the street and thought to myself "wow, somebody dumped alot of good cards on the road". Then it clicked, and I go over to my trunk and see it was smashed in. A mess of loose cards on the road and thrown around the trunk.

Lost all of my Alpha, most of my Beta other than normal commons and Uncommons, Everything good from Unl, Rev, and so on.... Thousands of cards of you name it.

It gets better, not only did I have all of the cards, I also had copies of Scrye, listing the values and places that bought the cards in with all of the stuff. Boy do I wish I would have left them at home instead. I don't play anymore and I surely don't leave cards unattended in the car or trunk.

Sovarius
posted March 13, 2012 04:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:
Or if they are not complete morons they would just never try to sell that stuff and just perhaps junk it?

Wait, what.

They broke into a car window and stole 10k worth of playable cards so they could... junk it?

Trust me, they're playing selling and trading them. Aside from alters, for the most part it will be very hard to trace. All they haave to do is split up the cards between everyone involved in the theft, or simply not even be from that area and never go back.

I3Iood
posted March 13, 2012 04:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for I3Iood Click Here to Email I3Iood Send a private message to I3Iood Click to send I3Iood an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sovarius:
Wait, what.

They broke into a car window and stole 10k worth of playable cards so they could... junk it?

Trust me, they're playing selling and trading them. Aside from alters, for the most part it will be very hard to trace. All they haave to do is split up the cards between everyone involved in the theft, or simply not even be from that area and never go back.

I think he is referring to the highly traceable cards, not the regular cards that anyone could have. Just a thought. Jason

Bagbokk
posted March 13, 2012 06:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sovarius:
Trust me, they're playing selling and trading them. Aside from alters, for the most part it will be very hard to trace.

The first part of this post said this:

quote:
Be careful not to just automatically assume that a person selling these easily identifiable cards is the same person that stole them.

So he's talking about the same thing you are--the two of you are in agreement.

stu55
posted March 13, 2012 06:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I feel like some one has to say this:

First off, yes it sucks to have stuff stolen, I had a $6k binder stolen from me at a PTQ in like 2006. It taught me to be careful and not bring more things than I need.

However, I feel like only half the blame can be given to the thief and the other half has to go to the victim (me in the past and you now).

I left my bag out where some one to get to it, just like you left your bags out to be seen in your car. Although, in my case thievery was not as rampant as it is now. You even had the knowledge that just 1 week or so earlier in Baltimore something redic. like that cube being stolen happen.

That being said, I think that the magic community needs to be more proactive in preventing the opportunity for theft more so than finding the thieves after they have struck.

I want people to realize that blame needs to fall on both parties, but I wish you luck in finding your stuff.

broiler1977
posted March 13, 2012 09:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for broiler1977 Click Here to Email broiler1977 Send a private message to broiler1977 Click to send broiler1977 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View broiler1977's Have/Want ListView broiler1977's Have/Want List
One of my college roommates stole my entire collection in '95. It's value today makes me want to puke. I understand how you feel. It gutted me.

ryan2754
posted March 13, 2012 11:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by broiler1977:
One of my college roommates stole my entire collection in '95. It's value today makes me want to puke. I understand how you feel. It gutted me.

Did he do it right before he moved out? And you never heard from him again?
Just weird how that would work since your on a college campus.

(6 behind Bmadsen)
2nd in Posts [7100] in OH-IO
(only 1000 behind Val)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place.” - Rick Pitino

GenghisTom
posted March 14, 2012 05:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smash:
Sorry to read about this. Had nearly the same thing happen to me a long time ago. Only my story is a bit harsher.

Back in the day, shortly after FE came out, I was working on separating and sorting all of my "better" cards. Had all of my stuff with me in the trunk of my car at work (was doing it at work....family business). Walked out from the building and saw a bunch of MTG cards all over the street and thought to myself "wow, somebody dumped alot of good cards on the road". Then it clicked, and I go over to my trunk and see it was smashed in. A mess of loose cards on the road and thrown around the trunk.

Lost all of my Alpha, most of my Beta other than normal commons and Uncommons, Everything good from Unl, Rev, and so on.... Thousands of cards of you name it.

It gets better, not only did I have all of the cards, I also had copies of Scrye, listing the values and places that bought the cards in with all of the stuff. Boy do I wish I would have left them at home instead. I don't play anymore and I surely don't leave cards unattended in the car or trunk.

hence the name "smash"?

broiler1977
posted March 14, 2012 07:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for broiler1977 Click Here to Email broiler1977 Send a private message to broiler1977 Click to send broiler1977 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View broiler1977's Have/Want ListView broiler1977's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by ryan2754:
Did he do it right before he moved out? And you never heard from him again?
Just weird how that would work since your on a college campus.

We had moved off campus. I moved in with my roommate and 2 of his friends. He just vanished near the end of the semester, about a month before the lease was up. It wasn't just the magic cards, we had to cover his rent and bills. The 2 remaining people had no idea what had happened, or why he had left. I had no contact information for him. I knew his name and he was from elmhurst, NY(I think). We had mutual friends, but they never heard from him or saw him again. I don't know if he took them, or one of my other roommates used his absence to shift the blame to him. Unless I become alot more successful, I will never get those cards back. At least at the time (It was actually '97) they weren't worth what they are now. Because of the theft, I stayed completely away from magic until about 5 years ago when I found some cards that weren't with me at my apartment. All of the value was gone, but magic came back for me. It sucked, and I feel bad for all the people with similar stories.

[Edited 3 times, lastly by broiler1977 on March 14, 2012]

smash
posted March 14, 2012 08:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for smash Send a private message to smash Click to send smash an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by broiler1977:
Because of the theft, I stayed completely away from magic until about 5 years ago when I found some cards that weren't with me at my apartment. All of the value was gone, but magic came back for me. It sucked, and I feel bad for all the people with similar stories.

For me, this is pretty much the same feeling except that mtg seems way too complicated now.

Also, cuz of this, I don't carry anything in my cars anymore that I don't need. Back then the value of what they took was several thousand bucks....multiply that times todays value.....

broiler1977
posted March 14, 2012 09:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for broiler1977 Click Here to Email broiler1977 Send a private message to broiler1977 Click to send broiler1977 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View broiler1977's Have/Want ListView broiler1977's Have/Want List
I didn't have any beta, but I'll never get the unlimited collection back. My magic obsession is my wife's favorite argument.

smash
posted March 14, 2012 09:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for smash Send a private message to smash Click to send smash an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Back in the 90's the wife-to-be had no real idea of how much money was being spent. Just that it consumed many late nights of playing and sorting. Now, she just sees the boxes and boxes and boxes of commons that I still have left and wonders why do I still bother to keep them. Well, luckily, I have been able to find over 3,000 common legends and everything else is considered vintage now.

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League