Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  need help on elspeth tirel

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   need help on elspeth tirel
sadnis
posted June 11, 2011 08:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for sadnis Click Here to Email sadnis Send a private message to sadnis Click to send sadnis an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View sadnis's Trade Auction or SaleView sadnis's Trade Auction or Sale
can anyone tell me what this card does? i can clearly read what it does but as far as the number on the bottom right the (4) and the 3x sets of numbers on the left next to each thing im totally baffled by it. im not used to these new cards and totally in the dark on how they work. thanks in advance for anyone who can explain this to me.

stacker
posted June 11, 2011 08:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stacker Click Here to Email stacker Send a private message to stacker Click to send stacker an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stacker's Have/Want ListView stacker's Have/Want List
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/planeswalkers/week4

think of these numbers as +1 counters

elspeth comes into play with 4 +1 counters when you play it

each turn (including the turn you play elspeth), you may use one of its 3 abilities, and only once, as a sorcery.

say on turn 4, you play it. it comes into play with 4 +1 counters. you can on the same turn either remove 2 counters to make some tokens, or add 2 counters to gain some life.

when you have enough counters on it, you can also use its 3rd ability.

at any time elspeth has 0 or less counters, it goes into the graveyard.

anyone can choose to attack planeswalker or deal direct damage to it like its a player, for each 1 point of damage they deal they can remove a counter.

Bugger
posted June 11, 2011 08:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sadnis:
can anyone tell me what this card does? i can clearly read what it does but as far as the number on the bottom right the (4) and the 3x sets of numbers on the left next to each thing im totally baffled by it. im not used to these new cards and totally in the dark on how they work. thanks in advance for anyone who can explain this to me.

Planeswalkers have been around since lorwyn. (3 and a half years ago iirc)

The gist of it is elspeth enters the battlefield with 4 loyalty counters on her (the # in the bottom right). Once each of your turns you can choose one of the three abilities she has to perform, which add or subtract loyalty counters as a cost. So for example you could remove two loyalty counters from her to put 3 tokens into play. When a planeswalker's loyalty reaches 0 they are put into the graveyard (flavorwise this represents the planeswalker basically going "eff this I'm out of here"). Planeswalkers can be attacked by creatures your opponents control, and when choosing between players when assigning damage, the controller of the damage source can choose to target your planeswalker (in other words, you can bolt them). Players can choose to redirect damage from them to a planeswalker they control.

Volcanon
posted June 11, 2011 03:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You'll learn to hate planeswalkers by the way. WOTC has a very hard to balancing them, so they are either hard brown turds or more unfair than Morphling under the old rules in a format with many cheap hard counters.

joz
Banned
posted June 11, 2011 03:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
You'll learn to hate planeswalkers by the way. WOTC has a very hard to balancing them, so they are either hard brown turds or more unfair than Morphling under the old rules in a format with many cheap hard counters.

Mostly just Jace, the Wallet Emptier.

Gunslinga - If I thought it would help, and if I could, I would.

thror
posted June 11, 2011 03:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:

The same could be said for anything new. Hey, lets make Moxen and blue spells! Hey, lets make equipment! etc etc.

That being said, just like every card type ever, planeswalkers vary in power level. Some are fairly bad (both chandras, sorin), some are fine (both ajanis, koth, baby jace, garruk), and ONE is a little insane (Big Jace).

daner
posted June 11, 2011 09:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by joz:
Mostly just Jace, the Wallet Emptier.

Both Elspeth-Knight Errant and Gideon Jura are pretty nuts(and at one point were pretty damn expensive). Also Ajani Vengeant was pretty dumb, too. Those are all constructed worthy ones. If you are lucky to open one in a sealed or draft format it's the stupidiest thing ever, and that is 90% of them(not just the ones people keep mentioning).

Jace, The Mind Sculptor is really the only one to hold a death grip on people's wallets. Eventually they have all droppd in price. Like I said though the ones that haven't been hard on the wallet are still damn hard to beat in draft.

quote:
Originally posted by thror:
That being said, just like every card type ever, planeswalkers vary in power level. Some are fairly bad (both chandras, sorin), some are fine (both ajanis, koth, baby jace, garruk), and ONE is a little insane (Big Jace).

I hope you mean for constructed purposes only. Ever play with or against Sorin in Zendikar limited? The worst planeswalker they ever made is Nissa Revane, and she was still annoying sometimes in limited.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by daner on June 11, 2011]

Numotflame96
posted June 12, 2011 07:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Numotflame96 Click Here to Email Numotflame96 Send a private message to Numotflame96 Click to send Numotflame96 an Instant MessageVisit Numotflame96's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
Both Elspeth-Knight Errant and Gideon Jura are pretty nuts(and at one point were pretty damn expensive). Also Ajani Vengeant was pretty dumb, too. Those are all constructed worthy ones. If you are lucky to open one in a sealed or draft format it's the stupidiest thing ever, and that is 90% of them(not just the ones people keep mentioning).

Jace, The Mind Sculptor is really the only one to hold a death grip on people's wallets. Eventually they have all droppd in price. Like I said though the ones that haven't been hard on the wallet are still damn hard to beat in draft.

I hope you mean for constructed purposes only. Ever play with or against Sorin in Zendikar limited? The worst planeswalker they ever made is Nissa Revane, and she was still annoying sometimes in limited.

actually i think chandra ablaze is worse.... at least nissa can work in elf decks. chandra deosn't work in control, aggro or combo or anything. Its really not even good in limited...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Numotflame96 on June 12, 2011]

Bugger
posted June 12, 2011 07:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Numotflame96:
actually i think chandra ablaze is worse.... at least nissa can work in elf decks. chandra deosn't work in control, aggro or combo or anything. Its really not even good in limited...

Yeah, Chandra Ablaze is like Koth in that both ask "are you playing mono-red? No? Then I'm damn near useless". The difference is that Koth is amazing in monored, while Chandra is only slightly less useless.

Nissa has a similar problem, but she's even more restrictive - no elves, no purpose.

CoupDeGrace
posted June 12, 2011 08:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daner:

Venser is an interactive planswalker. Nicol Bolas can be considered as nuts if not because of casting cost IMHO.

oneofchaos
posted June 13, 2011 09:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoupDeGrace:
Venser is an interactive planswalker. Nicol Bolas can be considered as nuts if not because of casting cost IMHO.

I win with him in cube all the time. Vindicates and dominates all day!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League