Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Buying boxes vs complete sets.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Buying boxes vs complete sets.
Soldier Boi
posted February 20, 2011 05:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of buying a box of Beseiged and I was wondering, wouldnt it be almost as good just to buy a complete set? For the price of a case of boosters you can get a playset of most sets.

joz
Banned
posted February 20, 2011 05:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Playset, and you cant get a complete set out of one box, let alone 2-3; or even worse odds then that.

caquaa
posted February 20, 2011 07:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
yah, but 6 boxes and a small set, fairly certain the math favors buying a case if these are strictly the only two options given. You also get the potential of money foils when you buy cases. Ideally I'd go w/ option 3 where you only buy the cards you want instead of spending a bunch extra on random junk, but that's your call.

sys41o
posted February 20, 2011 07:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Was your intent to build sets or just have playsets of the better cards?

Buying a case will cost you $480 or so. If you want to wait till redemptions start on MODO then factory sealed sets will start selling on ebay. Usually small sets will start at $75 - $100 plus shipping depending on the power level of the cards. You are already $80 a head plus the time to open all of the packs.

It used to be that a case would yield a full play set of every card for the smaller sets but ever since WotC printed Mythics that is not guaranteed. You may open a case and still find that you need several mythics or even worse you may still need several of the good mythic and then you are spending more money.

As a set collector I used to buy 3 or 4 boxes or a case when the first set came out and fill in the blanks with draft left overs to make my sets. Ever since they printed mythics I have not bought any boxes and simply buy the MODO redemptions. Mythics really make the playset math wonky. It is more about luck now.

Soldier Boi
posted February 20, 2011 09:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sys41o:
Was your intent to build sets or just have playsets of the better cards?

Buying a case will cost you $480 or so. If you want to wait till redemptions start on MODO then factory sealed sets will start selling on ebay. Usually small sets will start at $75 - $100 plus shipping depending on the power level of the cards. You are already $80 a head plus the time to open all of the packs.

It used to be that a case would yield a full play set of every card for the smaller sets but ever since WotC printed Mythics that is not guaranteed. You may open a case and still find that you need several mythics or even worse you may still need several of the good mythic and then you are spending more money.

As a set collector I used to buy 3 or 4 boxes or a case when the first set came out and fill in the blanks with draft left overs to make my sets. Ever since they printed mythics I have not bought any boxes and simply buy the MODO redemptions. Mythics really make the playset math wonky. It is more about luck now.

Thats the same thing I was thinking. I didnt buy a case but I got 4 boxes of Beseiged already although I did get a Tezzert and a Colossus I still have yet to see a Thrun or a Sword. But I guess someone has to buy them for us to have the compelete sets lol.

Myysterio
posted February 21, 2011 12:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myysterio Click Here to Email Myysterio Send a private message to Myysterio Click to send Myysterio an Instant MessageVisit Myysterio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myysterio's Have/Want ListView Myysterio's Have/Want List
This is what I get my sets for

Scars of Mirrodin
Complete Set x4 With Mythics $670
Complete Set x4 Without Mythics $420
Common/Uncommon Set x4 $35/30

Mirrodin Besieged
COMPLETE SET w/MYTHICS x4 $475
COMPLETE SET WITHOUT MYTHICS x4 $225
COMMON/UNC SET x4 $28/$23

I pre-order them to avoid hype + complication of having to actually hunt down the individual cards. They are some of the cheapest preorder sets I have been able to find. Starcitygames was doing Scars of Mirrodin playsets for almost $1k.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Myysterio on February 21, 2011]

FleeceItOut
posted February 24, 2011 08:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for FleeceItOut Click Here to Email FleeceItOut Send a private message to FleeceItOut Click to send FleeceItOut an Instant MessageVisit FleeceItOut's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
my view is that collectors like the thrill of having to open packs to find what they are looking for so they will spend more to obtain whatever quota they are looking to collect

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League