Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Older casual decks from Alpha to FE

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Older casual decks from Alpha to FE
TribeCalledQuest
posted May 05, 2016 02:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TribeCalledQuest Click Here to Email TribeCalledQuest Send a private message to TribeCalledQuest Click to send TribeCalledQuest an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View TribeCalledQuest's Have/Want ListView TribeCalledQuest's Have/Want List
I was thinking of building and older EDH or casual deck using cards only from Alpha to Fallen Empires. Can't seem to find any deck lists from back in the day. I've just heard of some like "Superman"? Since I started in Mirrodin, I'd greatly appreciate any help on anyone that has played back then from Alpha to FE that could you give me some input on what to make based on what you played with, using today's format. I've heard of peeps back in the day using like 10 black lotus in a deck to fireball someone, but that's ridiculous. Doesn't matter if it's competitive or not, just pure fun.

MoxMonkey
posted May 05, 2016 10:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MoxMonkey Click Here to Email MoxMonkey Send a private message to MoxMonkey Click to send MoxMonkey an Instant MessageVisit MoxMonkey's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MoxMonkey's Have/Want ListView MoxMonkey's Have/Want List
I've actually built a EDH deck with just alpha-Dark. Lots of fun to play but you pretty much have to figure a list on your own.

mm1983
posted May 06, 2016 04:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Legends set gives you the ability to go 3 colors if you pick and elder dragon for your commander. Other than that you're pretty much stuck going 1 color other than a few 2 color cards in Legends as well.

TribeCalledQuest
posted May 06, 2016 11:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TribeCalledQuest Click Here to Email TribeCalledQuest Send a private message to TribeCalledQuest Click to send TribeCalledQuest an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View TribeCalledQuest's Have/Want ListView TribeCalledQuest's Have/Want List
Do you guys know what the most common played decks/colors were back in the day? Was it red/green beats, mono white serra angel, mono black juzam?

iccarus
posted May 06, 2016 11:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TribeCalledQuest:
Do you guys know what the most common played decks/colors were back in the day? Was it red/green beats, mono white serra angel, mono black juzam?

Try looking up the "old school" format, also known as "94/95." While not always reflective of the exact decks of the time, it can give you an idea of some good archetypes based on cards from that time frame.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

LandDestroyer
posted May 06, 2016 11:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
http://www.classicdojo.org/
maybe?

dwiz
posted May 06, 2016 11:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
Erhnamgeddon, stasis, blue white control, blue white mill, black discard, green/red/black land destruction were big. You could also look at the 1996 world championship decks. They maxed out at homelands, and they only had homelands cards in them because you were required to have homelands cards in each deck.

Pringlesman
posted May 06, 2016 01:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pringlesman Click Here to Email Pringlesman Send a private message to Pringlesman Click to send Pringlesman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I built this Almost a year ago. Sounds like exactly what you want.

http://imgur.com/a/yACDQ

iccarus
posted May 06, 2016 08:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pringlesman:
I built this Almost a year ago. Sounds like exactly what you want.

http://imgur.com/a/yACDQ

I love this. Takes me back to high school kitchen tables, although none of my decks were ever this good

AEther Storm
posted May 09, 2016 04:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
They maxed out at homelands, and they only had homelands cards in them because you were required to have homelands cards in each deck.

There should be an AEther Storm in every deck...

Serrated Arrows was a SB staple at the time.
And I love my FE Fungus deck.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

crusader_ff3
posted May 09, 2016 03:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for crusader_ff3 Click Here to Email crusader_ff3 Send a private message to crusader_ff3 Click to send crusader_ff3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The old school 93/94 format is great. There are more decks than people have mentioned here so far. Check out this "official" website. Each link typically contains the deck lost of each weekly tournament.

http://oldschool-mtg.blogspot.com/?m=1

It gets real expensive real quick. I build decks that are unpowered for all reasons (fairness, financial reason, lopsided games, etc.)

Built a mono black deck with 4 juzams, dark rits, hypnotic specters, mishra's factories, drain lifes, sinkholes, mind twist, etc. also built a temur stompy deck with kird apes, erhnam djinn, serendib efreet and djinn, mahamoti, shivan, factories, braingeyser, fireball, lightning bolts, all the staples. Oh, sylvan library is a great one as well.

There are plenty of decks. Check that link out, i think you will like it.

TribeCalledQuest
posted May 11, 2016 09:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TribeCalledQuest Click Here to Email TribeCalledQuest Send a private message to TribeCalledQuest Click to send TribeCalledQuest an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View TribeCalledQuest's Have/Want ListView TribeCalledQuest's Have/Want List
FE Fungus? Does that really work? Sounds fun. I've ran the Breeding Pit/Lord of the Pit combo. Other than that I thought Hymns and High Tide were the only functioning card out of Fallen Empires.

iccarus
posted May 11, 2016 10:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TribeCalledQuest:
FE Fungus? Does that really work? Sounds fun. I've ran the Breeding Pit/Lord of the Pit combo. Other than that I thought Hymns and High Tide were the only functioning card out of Fallen Empires.

The pump knights are also decent cards from the set. In the right environment, they are solid beaters with relevant abilities.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League