Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Returning to Magic, standard competitive on a budget possible?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Returning to Magic, standard competitive on a budget possible?
ScottyStyles
posted January 30, 2011 05:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ScottyStyles Click Here to Email ScottyStyles Send a private message to ScottyStyles Click to send ScottyStyles an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hey everybody,

So I'm returning to Magic on a fairly tight budget. I plan to draft for the majority of my collection, and will hopefully build up things that way. However, I do want to play in local FNM's and the like. For the time being, while I go through the process of rebuilding my collection, I can borrow some decks from friends. I do, however, want to work on my own deck to play with.

I don't have the time to develop a rogue deck from scratch, designed to my meta, etc that will survive on a budget. I'm not too familiar with current decks, though everybody tells me Standard is far different now than it was when I stopped playing Standard (Time Spiral block).

Are there any recommendations on a deck I could start building? Qualifications are below
1 - Not Red Deck Wins. I've never enjoyed playing it.
2 - Cheap; like I mentioned I'm on a tight budget, as I had a sudden drop in income recently and my mortgage payment is far more important than dropping $50 each on a set of Jaces. Not to say I can't find the money / trade for some spendier cards, but the deck can't have a huge price tag.
3 - Cards must have survivability. What I mean by that is I don't want every money card in the deck to be Extended-legal-only come September. Commons/uncommons, whatever, they can rotate out as long as they're not receiving the stupid $5-10 per card price some uncommons see.

Thanks everybody in advance for the help! I've been drafting a bit recently. Hate Infect in limited but it's what you've gotta deal with now, so whatever.

Volcanon
posted January 30, 2011 06:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
No. T2 is massively expensive due to mythics, and ironically monored is probably one of the cheaper decks (though its still pretty up there).

Play block (if possible), draft, or edh if you want to have something cheap to play with.

iccarus
posted January 30, 2011 06:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
FWIW, Jace floats around $80 right now.

My best suggestion would be to look at T8 decklists from major events.

Worlds
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/w orlds10/decks/top8

SCG open series (decks in the right margin down a bit)
http://www.starcitygames.com/magic.php

You can also check out "decks of the week" each Thursday on the wotc site.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/activity/634

Check those out and see what might fit in your budget.

If you want something that will survive the rotation (next fall), look at some of the block constructed decks. Those can be mixed in with stuff that's currently in T2, but block is usually where people look first for post rotation ideas. Granted, block only represents 1/3 of the sets so far, so you might want to wait until MBS is on magic online before taking those results seriously.

Side note on that - it's really way too far from any rotation to actually be building with that in mind. That kind of criteria basically knocks out a lot of viable strategies because of something that impacts your deck almost 8 months from now.

EDIT: Like Volcanon says, T2 and budget don't really go together anymore. Pretty much any deck is going to need a set of some pricey mythic.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by iccarus on January 30, 2011]

ScottyStyles
posted January 30, 2011 06:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ScottyStyles Click Here to Email ScottyStyles Send a private message to ScottyStyles Click to send ScottyStyles an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I understand it's normally way too early to think about what survives the rotation, but like I mentioned... I am on a VERY tight budget. I got laid off mid-December, and while things are stable for me I don't have the expendable income to be able to afford spending hundreds now on cards that won't be usable in 8 months.

Iccarus - thanks for the links. I'll look into them for some ideas.

joz
Banned
posted January 30, 2011 07:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for joz Click Here to Email joz Send a private message to joz Click to send joz an Instant MessageVisit joz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottyStyles:
I understand it's normally way too early to think about what survives the rotation, but like I mentioned... I am on a VERY tight budget. I got laid off mid-December, and while things are stable for me I don't have the expendable income to be able to afford spending hundreds now on cards that won't be usable in 8 months.

Stay out of Standard then, its a money sucking pit of sheer greed.

iccarus
posted January 30, 2011 07:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:

Honestly, if you don't have the cash to be wasting, then don't bother with standard. See if any locals play EDH/Commander or cube or T4 or just play casual decks.

I'm done with standard. There are enough ways to play magic on a casual level that I have no longer have any desire to drop hundreds on a deck that has a shelf life of a few months at best. Every time a new set comes out there's usually a better deck popping up or another $50+ I'd need to spend on my current one.

ScottyStyles
posted January 30, 2011 07:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ScottyStyles Click Here to Email ScottyStyles Send a private message to ScottyStyles Click to send ScottyStyles an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm competitive at heart, I like the tournaments, etc. People DO play EDH around here, but there's no tournaments for it. Stores around here only support Standard - it is generally the most lucrative format for them to support after all. I'm not looking for a deck to go 4-0 with every week, just something that gives me the options and tools to do decent (2-2, 3-1) for fairly cheap.

SageShadows
posted January 30, 2011 07:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SageShadows Click Here to Email SageShadows Send a private message to SageShadows Click to send SageShadows an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Like everyone around here has already stated, if you want to be competitive, you got to fork out the money. Standard isn't cheap, and even the cheapest decks in recent Standard sets (like RDW) were more than a hundred to be truly competitive.

iccarus
posted January 30, 2011 07:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
I'm competitive at heart, I like the tournaments, etc. People DO play EDH around here, but there's no tournaments for it. Stores around here only support Standard - it is generally the most lucrative format for them to support after all. I'm not looking for a deck to go 4-0 with every week, just something that gives me the options and tools to do decent (2-2, 3-1) for fairly cheap.

Then it depends on your meta. I mean, you could build a mono green poison deck and there's some FNM it would probably 4-0 at least once.

AlmostGrown
posted January 30, 2011 07:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
quote:

Here's a decklist my friend threw together real quick, it's kinda based around lots of 2-for-1s. It hasn't been tested yet but I'm bringing it to FNM this friday.

5 swamp
4 Mountain
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Lavaclaw Reaches (Can be akoum refuge if need be)
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Sign in Blood
4 Doom blade
3 Grasp of Darkness
4 Arc Trail
2 Burst Lightning
4 Goblin Arsonist
4 Perilous Myr
4 Ember Hauler
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Wurmcoil Engine or Some other appropiate finsher.

You probably should drop the Goblin Arsonist for Goblin Guide if you have them (my playgroup only has 4 and they're in Boros atm).

Scopes13mtg
posted January 30, 2011 07:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Scopes13mtg Click Here to Email Scopes13mtg Send a private message to Scopes13mtg Click to send Scopes13mtg an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Here's a list to check out... sometimes it can catch people off-guard and blow them out on turn 3 or 4, and it isn't too expensive. It runs Sword of Body and Mind which is probably negotiable, and the playset of Stoneforge Mystic sees play in some Legacy decks right now. It has also been proven that fetches aren't really worth it in mono-colored decks without shuffle effects, so you don't need them.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=35472

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Scopes13mtg on January 30, 2011]

Bugger
posted January 30, 2011 07:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The only deck that is reasonably competitive in standard and does not require a playset of an 80$ card is Kuldotha Red. That's just the way it is. I'm sorry to say it but you're either gonna have to stomach the idea of using RDW or just not play standard. :/

Also, LOL at the idea of a deck having "survivability" in standard right now

EDIT: if it's just for fnm, monowhite knights or quest for the Holy Relic-based WW might work for you too.

EDIT 2: terrible iPod spelling

stu55 noooooooooooooooooooooooo

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Bugger on January 30, 2011]

JTAubrey
posted January 30, 2011 07:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JTAubrey Click Here to Email JTAubrey Send a private message to JTAubrey Click to send JTAubrey an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would say wait and see what Paris brings before making a decision about picking up cards. But I would pick up some green sun zeniths ASAP.

@ Bugger: Boros and Vamps are also legitimate non-Jace choices atm. Although again that could be in for a change.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by JTAubrey on January 30, 2011]

hyc682
posted January 30, 2011 11:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hyc682 Click Here to Email hyc682 Send a private message to hyc682 Click to send hyc682 an Instant MessageVisit hyc682's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you want, WW quest is also viable and I helped my friend put this together for $60. The only thing that is expensive are the stoneforge mystics and the rest is almost common/uncommon.

Land 20
20x plains

Creature 31
Squadron Hawk x4
Glint Hawk x4
Kor Skyfisher x4
Ornithopter x4
Memnite x4
Kor Outfitter x4
Kor Duelist x4
Stoneforge Mystic x3

Spell 9
Argentum Armor x2
Sword of Vengeance x1
Strata Scythe x1
Sword of Body and Mind x1
Quest for the Holy Relic x4

SB: 15
3 Revoke Existence
2 Celestial Purge
3 Kor Firewalker
3 War Priest of Thune
4 Journey to Nowhere

wayne
posted January 31, 2011 12:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by hyc682:
If you want, WW quest is also viable and I helped my friend put this together for $60. The only thing that is expensive are the stoneforge mystics and the rest is almost common/uncommon.

Land 20
20x plains

Creature 31
Squadron Hawk x4
Glint Hawk x4
Kor Skyfisher x4
Ornithopter x4
Memnite x4
Kor Outfitter x4
Kor Duelist x4
Stoneforge Mystic x3

Spell 9
Argentum Armor x2
Sword of Vengeance x1
Strata Scythe x1
Sword of Body and Mind x1
Quest for the Holy Relic x4

SB: 15
3 Revoke Existence
2 Celestial Purge
3 Kor Firewalker
3 War Priest of Thune
4 Journey to Nowhere

RDW pre-October was competitive and cheap. In the current Standard environment, there is no cheap and competitive deck. I have a WWQuest deck which I no longer play because it is just too inconsistent.

keywacat
posted January 31, 2011 04:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
quote:

Something my friends and I do is go to a pub with our decks (casual, anything goes) and a pack of cards. We play off against each other, afterwards opening the packs and laying them out. Overall winner = first pick, second place = second and so on. So everyone gets something.

The power level is kept in check as none of us can or want to spend much money on cards anymore. I usually do better because I had a deep extended pool for the FNM / weekend tournaments around Prague. Now that extended is simply standard+ I don't play in those 'organized' tournaments anymore.

On a side note, we haven't done the prize-packs thing with my cube, maybe that's for our next meet.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League