Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Insuring magic cards?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Insuring magic cards?
Our_Benefactors
posted October 25, 2010 09:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Our_Benefactors Click Here to Email Our_Benefactors Send a private message to Our_Benefactors Click to send Our_Benefactors an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Is it realistic to do this? I have tons of staples with no intention of trading them off any time soon. Has anyone insured their collection on a homeowners plan or similar before?

Markers
posted October 25, 2010 09:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Markers Click Here to Email Markers Send a private message to Markers Click to send Markers an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have them insured. There is a special insurance for house owners in Switzerland to cover the interior.

Money is better than nothing if the building burns down.

JoshSherman
posted October 25, 2010 09:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
I have a renter's policy, and afaik, they're covered by it, as is anything that's in my car should my car be broken into/ stolen. It was suggested to me that I make a video recording of all my stuff so I have prrof I owned it if something happens.

Myy
posted October 25, 2010 09:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
yep, get renter's insurance. it's cheap too. i believe GEICO had it for about $10 a month. but I'd do a little bit of more research.

MagicMan774
Banned
posted October 25, 2010 10:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicMan774 Click Here to Email MagicMan774 Send a private message to MagicMan774 Click to send MagicMan774 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
if your collection is actually of that kind of value i would definetely get it insured.

stu55
posted October 25, 2010 10:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Home Owner's insurance covered my collection when it got stolen in 2005

slurpee
posted October 25, 2010 10:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
You need to ask your Agent. (let them know you are not talking about a few hundred dollars either, because insurance guys will just think of them like cards, books, etc and not think really about it)

Covered by renters insurance, most likely is the answer but if they are stolen off premesis you won't get enough coverage as you probably only get 10% for property off premesis.

Covered by home insurance, depends. Some companies out there have gotten wise and have a limitation on the max of any one particular card as well as a max on trading cards. Not all companies cover them to your contents amount at least not in Texas(1000 max total). This is something companies changed back in 2008

I will point out that you gotta use a coverage off of a policy. They can't just mysteriously desappear. Roof leaks, better hope wind knocked off the roof or shingles because wind driven rain is not covered..

Say someone just takes your bookbag, probably not covered as companies look for some sign of forced entry. Car is stolen your auto insurance isn't going to pay you a dime for the cards. Cards that are just "walk away" are not going to be covered.

Most common type of loss you could have is fire, hot water heater bursts and well theft, but how many people break into a house or apartment just to take Magic cards. Sure someone could break into your car at an event but if you are bringing expensive stuff you won't have enough coverage or cheap stuff and you won't get passed your deductible.

You may ask why would renters cover more then home policies well the simple answer is the policies for homes are updated ever year or two. Renters policies filed with the each state typically are updated ever 10 years so they are behind with the times.

As for documentation you better have it for any of the big guns. Video or pics.

This is how it works in Texas and well Texas is unique to country in coverages. If you live in California, New York, New Jersey or Florida, well they tend to have differnt rules then the rest of the country as well.

[Edited 5 times, lastly by slurpee on October 26, 2010]

Timmyhill
posted October 25, 2010 12:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Timmyhill Click Here to Email Timmyhill Send a private message to Timmyhill Click to send Timmyhill an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Timmyhill's Have/Want ListView Timmyhill's Have/Want List
I've also kind of wondered about this too, I have travlers and the guy on the phone says the cards are covered, but i'm wondering how would I prove the value of the cards.

majicman
posted October 25, 2010 07:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Timmyhill:
I've also kind of wondered about this too, I have travlers and the guy on the phone says the cards are covered, but i'm wondering how would I prove the value of the cards.

My advice is to inventory your collection to the very last card and take pictures of everything and keep 2 sets. One in your house if they get stolen and one in a safety deposit box (or friend or relatives house) if your house burns down.

Or also store it on the internet as well in case the worst happens.

That way your covered in any event.

bigbob585
posted October 26, 2010 08:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bigbob585 Click Here to Email bigbob585 Send a private message to bigbob585 Click to send bigbob585 an Instant MessageVisit bigbob585's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I actually talked to my insurance agent a few months ago about this and it seems it's the same around the entire US.

Magic Cards fall under collectibles (and some other obscure category name along with coins, antiques, etc). Home owners insurance usually covers a maximum of $1000 for these items (sometimes more if you have a much more expensive policy).

The rest need to be covered by either a 3rd party insurance company that deals specifically with these kinds of collectibles (or a small handful of insurance companies are doing this too).

Insurance with these companies usually runs 1.5-2.5% of the total insurance value.

For example, it will cost you $150-250 per year to insurance every $10,000 worth of your collection.

MagixDK
posted October 29, 2010 02:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
i have mine insured for 15.000$

its mentioned in my homeowners insurance. otherwise it would only be covered by 2K or something.

slurpee
posted October 29, 2010 07:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
Your agent probably just increased the collectible coverage on the policy, which usually only covers them for On Premises. You still have to have a coverage off of the house that would provide coverage for them. Off Premises is probably still limited.

quote:
Originally posted by MagixDK:
i have mine insured for 15.000$

its mentioned in my homeowners insurance. otherwise it would only be covered by 2K or something.

“I just broke up with someone and the last thing she said to me was "You'll never find anyone like me again!" I'm thinking, "I should hope not! If I don't want you, why would I want someone like you."”

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League