Click Here!

Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  The Post for Magic Stuff Part 40 (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   The Post for Magic Stuff Part 40
stu55
posted August 08, 2010 10:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Always wanted to start one...roll over into the 40s now

gaeacradle
posted August 08, 2010 11:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
So I'm pretty excited about TCG Player new $5K series, especially Sealed on Sunday instead of Legacy.

stu55
posted August 08, 2010 11:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
that sucks...this sealed format is so luck dependent..Legacy is a format where the better player will usually win

wayne
posted August 08, 2010 11:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
Didn't meet a single UW deck in the Standard Daily Event today!

wayne
posted August 08, 2010 12:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by stu55:
that sucks...this sealed format is so luck dependent..Legacy is a format where the better player will usually win

Speaking of sealed, I hate not opening a single Crystal Ball.

marriedwithchildren
posted August 08, 2010 12:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for marriedwithchildren Click Here to Email marriedwithchildren Send a private message to marriedwithchildren Click to send marriedwithchildren an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marriedwithchildren's Have/Want ListView marriedwithchildren's Have/Want List
Is no-one excited about the GenCon championship event results? I played against Owen (Vintage Champion) last year at the Tha Slinga's Xtreme Open. I guess the top 2 vintage decks were the same EVERY card! In legacy Goblins dodged a mini Belch to win the third game in the Finals of Legacy.

Eatatjoes
posted August 08, 2010 01:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Eatatjoes Click Here to Email Eatatjoes Send a private message to Eatatjoes Click to send Eatatjoes an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Eatatjoes's Have/Want ListView Eatatjoes's Have/Want List
Props to Owen, he is a multiformat beast

gaeacradle
posted August 08, 2010 01:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
quote:

Yeah I know that. But Sealed will bring in more people. I'm planning to go, and if Legacy was offered on Sunday instead, I think I may be the only one to play on Sunday.

Heresy19
posted August 08, 2010 02:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Heresy19 Click Here to Email Heresy19 Send a private message to Heresy19 Click to send Heresy19 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Heresy19's Have/Want ListView Heresy19's Have/Want List
Replacing a Legacy tournement for a Sealed one?! This is MADNESS!!!!

We need MOAR Legacy!

:/

CubFan81
posted August 09, 2010 10:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
I haven't been on MOTL lately so I missed out on the Levin DQ stuff from the previous PFMS but here's my take.

Was the rule applied properly? Absolutely. Was Levin stupid for actually stating it out loud? Most Definitely. Does Wescoe come off looking worse in this? Probably. After the judge was called was the DQ the right move? 100% yes.

Don't bet on the outcome of the games. It's a rule. Simple as that. If you do, and you don't want to face the consequences of it then don't tell anyone else about your bet. Done and done.

Saying that the DQ was stupid because he was betting on himself is equally stupid because he didn't bet himself that he'd Top 8, he bet with someone else that he'd Top 8. That means that person is betting against Levin and while it didn't and might not have come into play at the GP what happens if the person who is looking at paying out $500 has a chance to scoop someone in who would bump Levin out of the Top 8?

The pregnant woman analogy doesn't apply in this case either because it's still against the law. If an officer sees this, he should in all likely hood let the lady into the ER and while they are getting admitted calmly write the driver a ticket, then go find him and ask him to move his vehicle. That law is in place because ambulances need access to that area to unload patients quickly and safely. If a car is blocking that area a second patient (gunshot victim, heart attack, whatever) may miss out on the seconds they need to get proper care.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by CubFan81 on August 09, 2010]

-PoX-
posted August 09, 2010 11:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for -PoX- Click Here to Email -PoX- Send a private message to -PoX- Click to send -PoX- an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Oh we're still doing this? Oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by CubFan81:
what happens if the person who is looking at paying out $500 has a chance to scoop someone in who would bump Levin out of the Top 8?

Wut?
The person paying the 500$ is WoTC. You get 500$ for making top 8.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

quote:
Originally posted by CubFan81:
If an officer sees this, he should in all likely hood let the lady into the ER and while they are getting admitted calmly write the driver a ticket

And then end up on Fark.com with an "asinine" tag.
How hard is it to just go "ok I understand, just move your car ASAP sir".

CubFan81
posted August 09, 2010 12:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by -PoX-:
The person paying the 500$ is WoTC. You get 500$ for making top 8.

I meant the guy Levin made (or didn't) make his bet against.

quote:
And then end up on Fark.com with an "asinine" tag.
How hard is it to just go "ok I understand, just move your car ASAP sir".

Which is fine since that would be up to the officer at the time. Much like they can give you a warning for speeding or give you a ticket. Those laws leave a little room for bending since they can't ticket every single car going over the limit and circumstances could allow for a quick hospital drop off. But you can't use a real life situation that obviously allows for a little leeway when comparing it to a situation that really doesn't. Either you can bet on outcomes of the games or you can't. And in almost every major competition you aren't allowed to bet on games within your own field. ARod is perfectly capable of betting on last nights Bengals-Cowboys game if he wants to but not tonight's Cubs-Giant, let alone Yankees-Red Sox.

wayne
posted August 09, 2010 02:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
Overwhelming Stampede <3.

yakusoku
posted August 09, 2010 02:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wayne:

My friend would disagree with you. He drafted a deck with Overwhelming Stampede and Sword and lost... to a deck with Overwhelming Stampede and Sword.

gaeacradle
posted August 09, 2010 03:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by yakusoku:
My friend would disagree with you. He drafted a deck with Overwhelming Stampede and Sword and lost... to a deck with Overwhelming Stampede and Sword.

Haha....that's hillarious. Man, I wish I have more time to do MODO.

stu55
posted August 09, 2010 03:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wayne:

what is your modo name?

boootlegger
Banned
posted August 09, 2010 04:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for boootlegger Click Here to Email boootlegger Send a private message to boootlegger Click to send boootlegger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Theres a fine line between being good at something and being lucky.

Every card game as a luck percentage and Magic is no different.

BL

caquaa
posted August 09, 2010 04:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
ah, wayne's posts on the last PFMS came back last night... Conundrum Sphinx!

had some idiot, fatguy_poolshark3, go on and on about how naming something other then a basic land was bad for me. If he got the basic land he named he would "get ahead". I'm not sure how this logic holds up when you have 6+ lands as we both did. I was naming doomblade as I had a pair in my deck and it would certainly effect the outcome of the game more then naming island.

two games later... swing naming mind control, whiff ... swing naming mind control, whiff ... swing naming mind control, HIT!

Not sure how people dont understand you name the card that will have the most impact on the game, not the card you're most likely to get. Sometimes that card is a basic land, typically not for me.

Also if you are fatguy_poolshark3, speak up! He disconnected on me and got reported, lol. I hate people that do that so much.

stu55
posted August 09, 2010 06:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
ah, wayne's posts on the last PFMS came back last night... Conundrum Sphinx!

had some idiot, fatguy_poolshark3, go on and on about how naming something other then a basic land was bad for me. If he got the basic land he named he would "get ahead". I'm not sure how this logic holds up when you have 6+ lands as we both did. I was naming doomblade as I had a pair in my deck and it would certainly effect the outcome of the game more then naming island.

two games later... swing naming mind control, whiff ... swing naming mind control, whiff ... swing naming mind control, HIT!

Not sure how people dont understand you name the card that will have the most impact on the game, not the card you're most likely to get. Sometimes that card is a basic land, typically not for me.

Also if you are fatguy_poolshark3, speak up! He disconnected on me and got reported, lol. I hate people that do that so much.

It is almost wrong to not name a land. You are trying to draw cards off of it to draw more and gain the advantage. IF you are naming a non-land you are usually on a 1-2 outer to win. Barring that circumstance, just go for the advantage and name the lands, even with 6 out, there are more lands then any individual spell in your deck

Bugger
posted August 09, 2010 06:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is almost wrong to not name a land. You are trying to draw cards off of it to draw more and gain the advantage. IF you are naming a non-land you are usually on a 1-2 outer to win. Barring that circumstance, just go for the advantage and name the lands, even with 6 out, there are more lands then any individual spell in your deck

I think caquaa's point is that if you name a basic land, yeah you have a better chance of getting it, but (in most circumstances)... so what? And if you name a basic land and then don't get it, you're putting a spell on the bottom of your library- possibly a spell you could have needed, or at least used to gain an advantage.
On the other hand, if you name whatever spell is in your deck that you really need at that point (if you don't have it already), yeah you're not likely to draw it, but if you do flip it over... you're golden.

dallaswilliams: That's because you are awful and don't it's potential

caquaa
posted August 09, 2010 08:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
A land is of zero advantage most of the time he sees play. So what if I get it, I'd rather just miss and send a land to the bottom. Even if I'm winning I'd name cards that would help me win more. Getting basics just seems bad unless I need them for something. By time you get to the 6 range, thats plenty

stu55
posted August 09, 2010 08:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
But thats not what makes the Sphinx good (beyond the 4/4 flyer for 4)...you are gaining card advantage, regardless of what you draw.

caquaa
posted August 09, 2010 08:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
"card advantage" isn't useful. Cards that do something are, hence the point of card advantage. I have more cards that do stuff then you, gg. I have 20 lands... you win.

also, we're talking limited here.

I'm not sure if the same holds true for constructed. I'm not certain hes playable in constructed...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by caquaa on August 09, 2010]

wayne
posted August 10, 2010 02:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
I think regarding the naming of the card, basic land is the way to go unless you need a particular card to win the game, then you probably have to name it so that it does not hit the bottom of the deck.

WestWycke
posted August 10, 2010 05:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WestWycke Click Here to Email WestWycke Send a private message to WestWycke Click to send WestWycke an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to agree with caquaa on this one.

Drawing extra cards usually equates to card advantage. This is because:
a) you might get something useful
b) you might only get land, but now you don't have to draw that land next turn with your draw step. You've dug further into your deck towards the stuff you want.

Conundrum Sphinx doesn't fit either of these definitions if you name basic land.
a) You won't get something useful (unless you really need the basic land)
b) Getting the land doesn't dig you further into your deck since you are going to send the card to the bottom anyway.

While the odds of getting a hit might be higher by naming a basic land instead of a spell you want, the usefulness of the land is so much lower that I'd rather take my chances with a spell.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League