Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  I have some Tournament / Prize questions

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   I have some Tournament / Prize questions
Malice327
posted May 27, 2010 12:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Malice327 Click Here to Email Malice327 Send a private message to Malice327 Click to send Malice327 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I want to preface this by saying although I have lots of experience playing MTG and running grass roots tournaments (the smaller FNM, pre release, and launch parties), I have yet to run a larger event. The owner of the store has finally given me the go ahead to potentially gather together a much larger prize pool, to try and attract enough players to the tournament so I can try to get my advanced TO status. That said, there are a couple of questions I have for players / other more experienced TO's:

Players 1) what kind of prize pools, do you find attract you the most to tournaments?

Players 2) As a player do you prefer premium singles as opposed to unopened product as prizes?

Players 3) At what price do you think entry into tournaments becomes unappealing?

TO 1) Is the best place to get power 9 from MOTL?

TO 2) What profit margin do you aim for at a larger event?

TO 3) What size prize pool do you find attracts the most players?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to have input into this. I completely understand how this might seem "noobish" to more experienced tournament organizers, and I would prefer not to have anyone take any underhanded shots at my lack of experience, but if you must, then you must :P

iccarus
posted May 27, 2010 12:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
From a player's perspective...

1. Usually prizes that reflect what I'm paying to enter. If I'm paying $25, top 8 better get at least a box. It's usually best if prizes also go to top 16/32 as well so I don't feel like the day is a total waste if I don't top 8.

2. I prefer packs, but that's because I draft quite a bit. Valuable singles are also fine since I can usually flip them for cash.

3. Above $25 and I'm out, for constructed at least. Even then, that's a little high for many players. At $10-15, I'll almost always find a way to play in an event.

shaselai
posted May 27, 2010 12:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for shaselai Click Here to Email shaselai Send a private message to shaselai Click to send shaselai an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Players 1) what kind of prize pools, do you find attract you the most to tournaments?

This is player to player basis but one thing in common is the "cash value". Some players might like a Jace TMS which valued ~70ish while others wouldn't mind a box of product to pull a Jace and then some. With that said if the total value of the prizes is good then no one's gonna complain if he/she gets 1st. it is also dependent on type of tournies as well - many limited events have boxes as prizes while constructed usually have singles as prizes - and the singles are more or less dependent on format - type 2 probably type 2 singles, legacy you might see underground seas etc.

Players 2) As a player do you prefer premium singles as opposed to unopened product as prizes?

if cash values are equal i think no one's gonna complain. Here we had 6 person draft for baneslayers and 12 construct for jace tms but most our tournies here are for singles and 2nd prize + are packs.

Our store guy here is very generous in prizes - last time we had 12 person draft(14 each) for Jace TMS. 1st got Jace, 2nd got 6 packs, 3rd/4th got couple packs too.

Players 3) At what price do you think entry into tournaments becomes unappealing?

depends on your player market and prize. I know here some players dont show up for drafts (14$) and show up for constructed (5$). if you know the player pool there you could do a tourny that you think the most players might show up. Drafts are usually 14ish, constructed 5ish. Sealed usually 20ish. One place does sealed 20 with 3 pack per person toward pool. If you have an Underground sea for prize in constructed i dont think people cares if entry is 10ish.

Side note, if you are trying to achieve a certain level in TO you might need to make the price better to attract more players if the number of participants is what you need? I know here our game store guy is trying to get to advanced level but the player pool is somewhat small - he needs like a 32 person tourny and it's probably not possible unless he throws some crazy prize like a playset of seas or something heh

[Edited 3 times, lastly by shaselai on May 27, 2010]

stu55
posted May 27, 2010 01:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Just a note for you...

You aren't running the tournament to make money off of the entry fees, you are running it to bring people into the store so they spend money on singles, food, etc

D'Shay
posted May 27, 2010 01:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for D'Shay Click Here to Email D'Shay Send a private message to D'Shay Click to send D'Shay an Instant MessageVisit D'Shay's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
TO 1) Is the best place to get power 9 from MOTL?

yes most likely but I don't buy power 9 for my store at all, just too expensive of a prize to offer with amount of people i have.

TO 2) What profit margin do you aim for at a larger event?

none: the tournys just bring in people to play, we make a little on packs, but it is small like $1/pack

TO 3) What size prize pool do you find attracts the most players?

I find that at pre-releases the players want packs and I award packs to half the people who play. So if it is 24 people playing, then i award down to 12th place. Wotc gives you the T.O. a sheet which breaks down the prize support or what you should be supporting.

FYI, at all of my tournys, I ask the players or get a vote on the prizes so everyone knows before round 1 starts what they are getting.

majicman
posted May 27, 2010 03:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
One thing to note, for some players who don't finish in the top winner's bracket (and there are many) depending on the size of the crowd (32 vs. more than 50) if you had some sort of "consolation" prize and/or food (think cheap caesars pizza), that will help bring people back. You sell them the drinks to make some of the money back on the pizza.

The serious folks will always look at top prizes. The ones who are looking to have a good time and hope to get top 8 will enjoy the the owner trying to keep them happy and come back for the good time.

Again, all depends on prizes, price point and how large a crowd you are trying to draw as a tournament operator.

If awarding packs, I agree award to half the entries. Make the money on packs and you can always buy singles off players who crack a good pack for resale.

You could always buy top cards for type 2 and offer as 1st/2nd/3rd with packs, etc. Lots of ways to go here, but winning a tournament and getting a Jace TMS with a few packs always nice!

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck...Majic

P.S. Make sure pizza break happens before tourney starts of at a good breaking point (after a couple rounds) so grease doesn't get on sleeves/cards.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by majicman on May 27, 2010]

shaselai
posted May 27, 2010 03:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for shaselai Click Here to Email shaselai Send a private message to shaselai Click to send shaselai an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
also make sure you know the "economics" of the players in area. I have been to stores where the players there are so cheap they walk across to gas station to get food/drink instead of buying from the store and stay there for hours without buying anything - i understand store is a place to hang out but at least support it a little bit no? If the majority of the players have to scrap for money then try to have cheaper tournies like constructed instead of drafts.

Malice327
posted May 27, 2010 06:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Malice327 Click Here to Email Malice327 Send a private message to Malice327 Click to send Malice327 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for the feedback guys I will be trying to get the owner to get his hands on some foil Jace TMS, and foil fetch lands

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League