Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  What happened to this place?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What happened to this place?
raging_elf
posted May 31, 2015 10:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for raging_elf Click Here to Email raging_elf Send a private message to raging_elf Click to send raging_elf an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I been away for about 5 years and was just getting back into the game. This place is crazy different. How is it so inactive? Place was super active before, would of thought it was even crazier but came back disappointed. =(

iccarus
posted June 01, 2015 05:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This should answer most of your questions - http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/018052.html

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

LandDestroyer
posted June 01, 2015 07:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
This should answer most of your questions - http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/018052.html

Yup. Basically:
- Shipped got more expensive = less trading
- Rippers scared people off
- Search engine doesn't work and admins won't let anyone update
- Owner and admins are MIA and won't even let others step in to help
- Other sites like TCG, Puca, fb groups offer a more lively alternative
- more active members have get married, have kids, quit the game, etc

I took a 6+ year break from magic for the most part and have changed how I do the site. back 2004-2007 I was mostly active in the trading section. Now I'm more active in the discussion forums. I find shipping cards a huge pain. Also trading isn't as fun as it used to be. People trade differently ow than they did back in the day it seems.

daner
posted June 01, 2015 10:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
People trade differently now than they did back in the day it seems.

I can't stress this point enough. It's why Puca is like a God send for me. Everyone has Modern/Legacy and the few Standard staples in their wants....or obscure EDH wants. Then you go to their haves and it's a pile of trash. Everyone is a dealer looking to gain an inch. Puca values all your cards as points based on their actual value, and when you send cards you get points, and when you reach enough points someone usually sends you cards you want...so you can grind trash for treasure or trade staples for staples as long as value adds up. No worrying about trading up or down, no advantage to be had....it's simple and there is no negotiating.

Volcanon
posted June 01, 2015 12:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Also stores have become reasonable in their pricing.

mm1983
posted June 02, 2015 01:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:

Yup. Basically:
- Shipped got more expensive = less trading
- Rippers scared people off
- Search engine doesn't work and admins won't let anyone update
- Owner and admins are MIA and won't even let others step in to help
- Other sites like TCG, Puca, fb groups offer a more lively alternative
- more active members have get married, have kids, quit the game, etc

I took a 6+ year break from magic for the most part and have changed how I do the site. back 2004-2007 I was mostly active in the trading section. Now I'm more active in the discussion forums. I find shipping cards a huge pain. Also trading isn't as fun as it used to be. People trade differently ow than they did back in the day it seems.

I was just at my local post office today and I was told that bubble mailer with tracking has actually gotten quite a bit cheaper if you do tracking or just a bit more expensive if you didnt care about doing tracking. With bubble mailer it's going to cost $2.54 instead of $2.32 but for $2.54 that includes tracking where you had to pay an extra $1.05 before for the tracking so where it's .22 more it's also .83 cheaper.

As this does help a bit financially for most people, there are still the other problems with this site that won't be fixed. Unfortunately, most people here are looking to unload their trash that they can't trade locally or elsewhere. Few of the decent sellers that once sold here are all going away slowly but few of us high ref traders are still trying to stay active with any buying, selling, or trading we do here.

AEther Storm
posted June 03, 2015 06:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Also trading isn't as fun as it used to be. People trade differently ow than they did back in the day it seems.

Although I still enjoy it, your 2nd sentence hits the nail on the head.

quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
I was just at my local post office today and I was told that bubble mailer with tracking ...

When I was doing heavy trading 5-13 years ago, I rarely send with tracking. Maybe rippers are more abundant now, but packages rarely get lost in the mail. I think in over 1000 send packages less than 1% got lost. And that includes packages being īlostī that were actually delivered (but canīt prove that).
Packages still rarely get lost in the mail.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Mr. Ruboonia
posted June 03, 2015 06:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Ruboonia Click Here to Email Mr. Ruboonia Send a private message to Mr. Ruboonia Click to send Mr. Ruboonia an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want ListView Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want List
The lack of updates has really killed the site. Even the old front page (with Tome articles from 2004) with the top 10 most recent threads was better than what we have now.

As it stands, the site is still serviceable and I continue to prefer this to the alternatives (mostly because I like trading).

A huge issue for is the possibility of rippers hacking into the accounts of old, long-gone members. Usually easy to spot these people and it seems that they usually prey on new members. I would think with some reasonable update to the forum, someone could figure out some better site security.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League