General Discussion
  World Cup 2014! (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   World Cup 2014!
Goaswerfraiejen
posted June 12, 2014 10:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Because we need this thread. Even though FIFA is a truly awful (and corrupt) organization, and even though hosting the World Cup is doing some serious harm in Brazil... well, let's just say that it would be a tragedy for MOTL to have an MLB thread but no World Cup thread!

As always, I'm rooting for Germany. This is the year! But I also feel some residual patriotic fervour for Belgium, since they made the cut this time 'round (and are actually pretty good). You, MOTL?

I hope Croatia wins this afternoon. Or ties.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

chaos021
posted June 12, 2014 10:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
U S A! U S A! U S A!

My Sale Thread

AEther Storm
posted June 13, 2014 12:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Goaswerfraiejen:
As always, I'm rooting for Germany. This is the year! But I also feel some residual patriotic fervour for Belgium, since they made the cut this time 'round (and are actually pretty good). You, MOTL?

I hope Croatia wins this afternoon. Or ties.

Oh man, germany? Best not come to Holland then . As always, I hope the germans exit the first round. But they have one of the easiest poules (as usual) and will probably make it far as they are in the lower half of the schedule with less high-ranked opponents in them. Nevertheless, they always have a good team and are always a contender.

I support Belgium partially, I think their inexperience will be their downfall. Maybe in 4 years, but we'll see. I hope they do well, they have a lot of good players but I don't feel it's a real 'team' yet.

Croatia got robbed last night. It wasn't a penalty, the ref should have allowed the 2nd goal by Croatia (it wasn't a foul by the attacker) and Neymar should have gotten a red card for elbowing someone before his first goal. Thank you Mr. Blatter for being corrupt and stubborn and not allowing video to help the referees make the correct decision. Damned fossil.

And tonight it's Spain - Netherlands! Odds are against us, but I have us up at 1-3 victory! Go Dutchies!

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Goaswerfraiejen
posted June 13, 2014 06:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
On replay, the penalty against Croatia (that led to Brazil's second goal) might have been right, but it's tenuous. As for disallowing Croatia's second goal... wtf? I can't really find the rationale for that one. And shaking Neymar's hand makes it seem a little biased, too.

My favourites for the day: Mexico, Netherlands. As for Chile/Australia... Iunno. Not a clue.

RIP Ari

AEther Storm
posted June 13, 2014 07:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
On replay, the penalty against Croatia (that led to Brazil's second goal) might have been right, but it's tenuous. As for disallowing Croatia's second goal... wtf? I can't really find the rationale for that one. And shaking Neymar's hand makes it seem a little biased, too.

My favourites for the day: Mexico, Netherlands. As for Chile/Australia... Iunno. Not a clue.

Definately not. You can always tell by their body movement. And, if you fall unexpectedly you cannot throw your hands in the air while falling down and look at the referee at the same time. Sure the defenders' hand was there but he didn't pull or anything. It was dumb of the defender but it sure was not a penalty.

Exactly. I don't think Neymar is all that great as everyone says he is.

I think Mexico will draw vs Cameroon. The Mexicans aren't as strong as they used to be, but I can see them winning. Spain is favorite to win tonight, but I hope we can show them a thing or 2, go Dutchies!

Chili by far. They are a very good team, both physical and technical. Being in the shadow of Brasil and Argentina (and maybe Uruguay lately) you don't hear much from them, but they are always near/at the top of the list list when playing for the South-American championship. Many good players there. The Aussies are a mostly physical team without technique, but they are a tough nut to crack for many team, including the Dutch squad (having never won against them in 2 meetings). We can't deal with teams that play pressure for 90 minutes and being physical.
That in mind, our best chance is tonight. Spain plays like the Dutch and that is what we play against at best.

Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Lemonjuice
posted June 13, 2014 08:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lemonjuice Click Here to Email Lemonjuice Send a private message to Lemonjuice Click to send Lemonjuice an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Lemonjuice's Have/Want ListView Lemonjuice's Have/Want List
As a former Soccer referee I don't think that was PK worthy.

I've been up to the college level and watched a lot of semi-pro type games, and while this is another level, I definitely don't think he was pushed down by the defender, or otherwise forced to lose control of the ball.

I love soccer, but watching these guy dive is just blasphemous imo.

/End rant

Go Argentina/Germany!

AEther Storm
posted June 13, 2014 12:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
Mexico had 2 goals disallowed, which both were fine goals and should have been allowed. Thank justice that they still won, though Cameroon wasn't bad either.

Half time Spain - Netherlands now, 1-1! Again a penalty awarded to Spain that wasn't a penalty. Costa stood on the ankle of De Vrij and he then fell, it was not a penalty. Thank you Blatter for getting us video referral..oh wait..

Justice got served as Van Persie equalized with an amazing diving header just before half time.

Come on Geuzen!

CaribooLegend
posted June 13, 2014 01:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CaribooLegend Send a private message to CaribooLegend Click to send CaribooLegend an Instant MessageVisit CaribooLegend's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Where the hell was Van Persie all season in the BPL? Sheesh.

daner
posted June 13, 2014 01:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
I can't stand watching this game anymore.....when I was growing up I played, and watching it now is just a joke. Guys take SO MANY DIVES. The refs are a joke. You can't make me believe otherwise that the refs gave that game to Brazil yesterday.....FIFA is a goddamn joke.

I tried watching the Netherlands/Spain game so far today(bc I want the Netherlands to win) and after that awarded PK on a truly AWFUL call I had to shut it off.....thanks for the update Aether, but I'm done watching. I've watched 3 games (Brazil, Mexico, and part of this Dutch/Spain game) and I want to puke at how bad the refs are, and at the highest level to boot.

Throw in the corruption and I'm done w soccer.

EDIT: Take that back....I'm done with World Cup soccer...I'll still watch the EPL. GO MAN CITY!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by daner on June 13, 2014]

Goaswerfraiejen
posted June 13, 2014 01:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
WOW. I was hoping for the Netherlands to win, but HOLY POOP! Spain just collapsed!

(And yes, that penalty was BS. I'd be upset over it, except...)

RIP Ari

daner
posted June 13, 2014 01:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
My friend knows I like the Dutch and texted me if I was watching the game. I explained to him why I shut it off after the awarded PK...he told me I better turn it back on.

THAT WAS KARMA. **** SPAIN!

....And that miserable puke Torres DIVING AGAIN! Got to see that just adds to my undying hatred towards him. Yet, that screw up where he basically had a free goal but tried to get too fancy and the defender got back and stole it off him....that made my day

AEther Storm
posted June 13, 2014 03:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by CaribooLegend:
Where the hell was Van Persie all season in the BPL? Sheesh.

I'm actually not a fan of him. He's a great technical player but I prefer Huntelaar over him in the point, with Van Persie in a free role around him.

quote:
Originally posted by daner:
I can't stand watching this game anymore.....when I was growing up I played, and watching it now is just a joke. Guys take SO MANY DIVES. The refs are a joke. You can't make me believe otherwise that the refs gave that game to Brazil yesterday.....FIFA is a goddamn joke.

I tried watching the Netherlands/Spain game so far today(bc I want the Netherlands to win) and after that awarded PK on a truly AWFUL call I had to shut it off.....thanks for the update Aether, but I'm done watching. I've watched 3 games (Brazil, Mexico, and part of this Dutch/Spain game) and I want to puke at how bad the refs are, and at the highest level to boot.

Throw in the corruption and I'm done w soccer.

EDIT: Take that back....I'm done with World Cup soccer...I'll still watch the EPL. GO MAN CITY!

watch the Italy-England game for some good refereeing (Dutch referee ).

Boo Man City! Go Liverpool (mainly because Suarez plays there)

quote:
WOW. I was hoping for the Netherlands to win, but HOLY POOP! Spain just collapsed!

(And yes, that penalty was BS. I'd be upset over it, except...)

OLÉ!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by daner:
My friend knows I like the Dutch and texted me if I was watching the game. I explained to him why I shut it off after the awarded PK...he told me I better turn it back on.

THAT WAS KARMA. **** SPAIN!

....And that miserable puke Torres DIVING AGAIN! Got to see that just adds to my undying hatred towards him. Yet, that screw up where he basically had a free goal but tried to get too fancy and the defender got back and stole it off him....that made my day

yeah I already counted that one. Spain is going to have a hard time making it into the 2nd round now. Chile will be smelling blood and don't want to gamble on the game vs us to make it.

revenger
posted June 13, 2014 05:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Send a private message to revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
I thought soccer season was over for like 8 months or something.

Pity.

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

Goaswerfraiejen
posted June 14, 2014 06:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
No real favourites for me today, although I'm interested to see how Uruguay holds up.

RIP Ari

AEther Storm
posted June 14, 2014 12:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
I like Uruguay because of the style of soccer they play. Too bad Suarez is not playing yet, but Cavani is a killer too.

I don't like the Greeks so I'm happy they lost.

chaos021
posted June 15, 2014 11:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
That Switzerland/Ecuador finish was nuts!

My Sale Thread

wayne
posted June 15, 2014 02:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
The penalty awarded to Spain was just as bad, except no one talks about it because Holland hammered Spain after that. The challenge would not have hit Costa but he skillfully stuck his leg out to ensure there was contact.

AEther Storm
posted June 16, 2014 12:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by wayne:
The penalty awarded to Spain was just as bad, except no one talks about it because Holland hammered Spain after that. The challenge would not have hit Costa but he skillfully stuck his leg out to ensure there was contact.

Sadly, that's how a pro does it.

Yesterday a primer, first goal awarded by Goal Line Technology! Yay for tech!

Tonight it's US - Ghana. I believe you still have a score to settle with them?

chaos021
posted June 16, 2014 03:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by AEther Storm:
Sadly, that's how a pro does it.

Tonight it's US - Ghana. I believe you still have a score to settle with them?

But it looked so questionable on camera.

My Sale Thread

AEther Storm
posted June 16, 2014 06:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
you mean the questionable goal? It was without a doubt over the line after the goalie tapped it in his own goal.

regarding the penalty, I immediately saw there was something fishy, but it took the instant replay to show what exactly happened. You can usually see when someone is brought down if it's a penalty kick or not. 90% giveaway is the way the fall and when they yell/scream.

harbingerofthevoid
posted June 16, 2014 11:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
I really hope the USMNT didn't watch that Germany vs. Portugal game. They still need to beat Ghana in 4 hours.

But man, Portugal looked like arse.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted June 16, 2014 11:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AEther Storm:

Honestly, I don't really get the point of the GLT. It seems one would be better off with allowing replays (which, incidentally, do clearly show the ball crossing into the net).

Also... wtf was up with Ecuador moving the ball outside the zone marked off by the ref, and why didn't they get called on it? (Well, presumably because the ref didn't see, but...)

And yay. I didn't expect Portugal to collapse like that. Actually, I was hoping for a good game (even though Schweinsteiger and Lahm were out... ). My vote for man of the match goes to Pepe. He had the biggest impact on the game.

RIP Ari

AEther Storm
posted June 16, 2014 12:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by harbingerofthevoid:
I really hope the USMNT didn't watch that Germany vs. Portugal game. They still need to beat Ghana in 4 hours.

But man, Portugal looked like arse.

Portugal IS arse (note my 'dislike' for Portugal). They barely qualified against Sweden (who presumably have the best-looking female fans in the world of whom we are now devoid) and their team is just Ronaldo. The rest are so-so players. Not bad, but not great. Germany played like they always do. Steady as a rock. They are always hard to beat. Always.

quote:

Honestly, I don't really get the point of the GLT. It seems one would be better off with allowing replays (which, incidentally, do clearly show the ball crossing into the net).

Also... wtf was up with Ecuador moving the ball outside the zone marked off by the ref, and why didn't they get called on it? (Well, presumably because the ref didn't see, but...)

And yay. I didn't expect Portugal to collapse like that. Actually, I was hoping for a good game (even though Schweinsteiger and Lahm were out... ). My vote for man of the match goes to Pepe. He had the biggest impact on the game.

Both should be allowed. It sometimes happens that you can't see it, like this one. It's like the Hawk Eye system with tennis, you can't always see it in the replay. Especially on hard court.

Replays are for fouls, offsides, etcetera. GLT is just another means for the sport to be more fair. The more aids we have to keep a fair sport, the better. But GLT and replays will fill the gap.

Thought I have the USA for a tie tonight, I'm not familiair with their team, I still hope they win. Tomorrow Belgium is up! Very interesting to see if they can deal with the pressure.

chaos021
posted June 16, 2014 02:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
So I really wasn't sure what to expect out of Nigeria during this Cup since they haven't had the ton of international talent they're used to in years past, but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan they look bad. Either that, or Iran was way better than I thought.

EDIT: And I've always thought Portugal wasn't that good. They haven't developed any talent I know of since the last World Cup. So what was everyone expecting? Ronaldo to carry an entire team of average blokes to the gold trophy?? I'm pretty sure Messi will do that before he does.

My Sale Thread

[Edited 2 times, lastly by chaos021 on June 17, 2014]

chaos021
posted June 16, 2014 04:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
U S A! U S A! U S A!

My Sale Thread

[Edited 1 times, lastly by chaos021 on June 16, 2014]

This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League