Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  the complain about being healthy topic (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   the complain about being healthy topic
dhamil3
posted November 14, 2012 03:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dhamil3 Click Here to Email dhamil3 Send a private message to dhamil3 Click to send dhamil3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So, I decided to get back on my miniature horse and get back into something resembling the human form again other than a gelatinous piece of crap. Got the dietary food, started working out, etc...

Just got these met-rx protein plus bars. from what everyone said on amazon they're good. so, i got the chocolate bar. tasty right! i have never struggled to eat a god damn chocolate candy bar so much in my life. it's like someone condensed a dry chocolate cake down into this rubbery chocolate log.

anybody else had any bad experiences with any health foods or protien shakes? my mouth laments my wallets purchase.

side note - muscle milk, not bad at all.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted November 14, 2012 07:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Are you replacing ordinary food with the shakes and bars, or are you using them to bulk up?

Either way, I'd forget about wasting money on that crap. You can easily achieve your goals--whatever they may be--eating regular old food. The bars and shakes will just lead to either unbalanced eating, or overeating.

Just my $0.02. FWIW, I'm a bodybuilder. And I don't touch the bars, shakes, or supplements: it's (almost) all just a gimmick to increase gym revenue. As for the non-gimmicks... well, you don't really want or need those either.

---

As for my challenge... I need to cut my sugar intake. I'm quite addicted, which is fine for now, but will become problematic later in my life.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

Bugger
posted November 14, 2012 07:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Losing weight isn't about eating lots of power bars. It boils down to one thing and one thing only: calories in vs calories out.
Eat less.
Exercise more.

The reason eating healthier foods over junk food is relevant is because it helps you reach your dietary needs with less intake - if you just reduced the amount of *everything* you ate while keeping the same proportion of (hypothetically, not saying this is relevant to you) snack foods can be hard to hit the important bases.

dhamil3
posted November 14, 2012 08:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dhamil3 Click Here to Email dhamil3 Send a private message to dhamil3 Click to send dhamil3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
a few reasons.
first, they occasionally replace breakfast. i can't eat most stuff in the morning. it simply kills my stomach.
second, it's easier to keep a bar with me than stopping and eating crap food.
third, i have no kitchen whatsoever right now, doing a total remodel.
never got any of them before today and i figured i'd try it. just not my cup of tea.

flophaus
posted November 15, 2012 12:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bugger:
It boils down to one thing and one thing only: calories in vs calories out.
Eat less.
Exercise more.

Well, you don't actually need to eat less, you just need to eat "smarter". There are plenty of things that you can eat that will fill you up without filling you up with calories.

Volcanon
posted November 15, 2012 12:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Cut down on meat. You can get just as good of protein out of brown rice and beans, which also has glorious fibre for toilet happiness.

Eat brown bread, too. It's better for you.

I lost a bunch of weight using my mom's Weight Watchers system ten years ago. You get points and stuff and if you're good about not cheating and keeping to your "points budget" then you'll slowly lose weight if you also do some cardio. I also lost a bunch of weight later by not having money for food.

AEther Storm
posted November 15, 2012 03:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by flophaus:
Well, you don't actually need to eat less, you just need to eat "smarter". There are plenty of things that you can eat that will fill you up without filling you up with calories.

This. Watch for carbs (pastas for instance), or burn them right after.

quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
I lost a bunch of weight using my mom's Weight Watchers system ten years ago. You get points and stuff and if you're good about not cheating and keeping to your "points budget" then you'll slowly lose weight if you also do some cardio.

This works. A friend of mine used the WW program too and the result was incredible!

quote:
I also lost a bunch of weight later by not having money for food.

This is almost funny if it wasn't sad

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't
mind." -Dr. Seuss

ogre
posted November 15, 2012 07:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ogre Click Here to Email ogre Send a private message to ogre Click to send ogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ogre's Have/Want ListView ogre's Have/Want List
This thread may have some of the better lines that I've seen on MOTL in a while:

"So, I decided to get back on my miniature horse and get back into something resembling the human form again other than a gelatinous piece of crap. Got the dietary food, started working out, etc..."

"Cut down on meat. You can get just as good of protein out of brown rice and beans, which also has glorious fibre for toilet happiness."

"I also lost a bunch of weight later by not having money for food."

Not cutting up, just pointing it out

My .02, I was once a fat ass myself back in high school then my uncle who's a doctor gave me the most sound dietary advice: "Just lift some weights, you'll be fine."

Since then I've dropped about 45-50 pounds and haven't looked back. You don't even have to get crazy about it, I lift three times a week, when I wake up, for about 20 minutes or less. My diet includes lots of beans and rice, though I do have a gluten allergy so that kinda blocks me from eating crap for lack of a better term.

I also jump rope or some other exercise every other morning that I'm not lifting, but just enough to get the blood pumping and then I go eat something.

That's what I got,
Jesse

airwalk
posted November 15, 2012 02:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
For years I drank a 2L Pepsi a day, and my average meal was a Cheeseburger (or two or three) and Poutine. For years this wasn't a problem, I could eat whatever I wanted without execising or gaining a lb, I had great metabolism and working on a farm kept me in shape without ever needing to jog or touch a weight. Last 6 monthes I noticed my BM's weren't as great and I started getting some stomach pains.

Now I've cut out soda for the most part (boy I still love the taste of a freshly cracked Pepsi though), eating less red meat and started eating fruits and vegetables (which I wouldnt touch in the past) and stopped eating chips/chocolate except for a once a week "treat day", I'm also trying to cut down on breads and yeasty things in generally.

So I'm pooping good again and I don't have any digestion pains but I literally have to eat twice as much food to keep myself from getting hungry now that I'm eating less meat. For example yesterday I had:

2 large Salads
750ml of Yogurt
Large French Canadian Pea soup
LG Slice of WW Veggie Pizza
Tuna Caserole
LG Ghormeh Sabzi
+ a large fruit tray

and probably about 3-4 litres of Water and I was still feeling hungry at various parts throughout the day. So it's work in progress but generally a whole lot healthier than what I have ate for most of my life, I need to find something to give me a good energy kick... though it might be that I'm also missing Coffee in my diet which I stopped drinking too.

I still don't work out, there isn't much point for me, I walk to work and my job is non-stop phsycial activity for the most part. If I added a workout routine I would go poor on food alone.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by airwalk on November 15, 2012]

GottaLoveElves
posted November 15, 2012 07:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GottaLoveElves Click Here to Email GottaLoveElves Send a private message to GottaLoveElves Click to send GottaLoveElves an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm at a low point in exercising. During the summer, I hike 10-15km 2-4 times a week. For the last couple winters, I'd taken to working up a sweat playing DDR, but that's not practical in my new place. My experiences with jogging never stick, and my stupid city doesn't plow the sidewalks any sense. I need something new or fun to motivate myself this time of year.

Psongaday, infrequently updated song-a-day blog

[Edited 1 times, lastly by GottaLoveElves on November 15, 2012]

daner
posted November 16, 2012 06:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Goaswerfraiejen:
Just my $0.02. FWIW, I'm a bodybuilder. And I don't touch the bars, shakes, or supplements: it's (almost) all just a gimmick to increase gym revenue.

This might be the single worst advice I've seen on MOTL in all my time on this site...and FWIW I think you're probably the worlds worst bodybuilder or have some freakish natural testosterone imbalance.

Who knows...you might be a genetic freak...just most people I know who are "bodybuilders" take supplements and everyone takes some form of Whey Protein.

How do you get away with not taking whey? How do you get away with out BCAA's? Multi-vitamins for recovery? There are SOOOOO many supplements I could list that 99.999999% of "bodybuilders" like you claim to be swear by on their life.

Now, a lot of the bars and pre-made shakes aren't good for you....ie Muscle Milk is a waste. Yea, it tastes good...probably a clear cut sign that it isn't going to help you.

Also, whoever said cut down on meat...well you're half wrong. Cut down on red meat. Chicken is perfectly fine...as long as you don't add things to it to make it bad(ie Cheese,Sauces). Grilled chicken is a great source of protein.

When dieting remember...fat is GOOD and NECESSARY, just be sure you are getting the right fats. Fats from EVOO(extra virgin olive oil) Nuts(a handful of Almonds is an excellent example), and anything else with low saturated fat but high Mono and Poly-saturated fat are very good. Just as always....keep everything to a minimun.

Best advice I can give you....EAT BREAKFAST. Nobody is blowin smoke up your ass when they say it's the most important meal of the day. It gets your metabolism off to a good and healthy start. You NEED that meal. If you are struggling to stomach food it's from years of not eating breakfast and your body isn't use to the food. I know, I was the same way, you have to force yourself that food....even if it makes you feel sick. Eventually, you'll stop feeling sick, and when you wake up you'll feel starved. Thats good.

Also.....RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN. The best way to lose weight is to run...this is no secret. Cardio = loss of weight. Diet and other exercise help a lot to achieve this goal but Cardio specifically isthe best thing you can do for your body, and especially the health of your heart.

Portion control. Try to eat multiple small meals in place of the 3 large meals most eat during a given day. Eating something like 4-6 oz. of fish/chicken paired with 10-15 almonds, asparagus(steamed) or some other fiber-rich vegetable, and some brown rice goes a long way. By eating multiple small meals a day(like 5-6) instead of the usual 3 large meals this means your metabolism will constantly be working...which means you'll constantly be burning food, creating fuel for your body...in turn you'll feel a lot more energized to do the exercise.

Remember.... You can never out train a un-healthy diet.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by daner on November 16, 2012]

Goaswerfraiejen
posted November 16, 2012 07:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
This might be the single worst advice I've seen on MOTL in all my time on this site...and FWIW I think you're probably the worlds worst bodybuilder or have some freakish natural testosterone imbalance.

Who knows...you might be a genetic freak...just most people I know who are "bodybuilders" take supplements and everyone takes some form of Whey Protein.

How do you get away with not taking whey? How do you get away with out BCAA's? Multi-vitamins for recovery? There are SOOOOO many supplements I could list that 99.999999% of "bodybuilders" like you claim to be swear by on their life.

A few things are worth noting, daner:

1.) dhamil3's stated goal was to get back in shape, not to get colossal. None of that crap is going to help, and odds are it's going to impede his/her goals. If telling dhamil3 to forget the bars, shakes, and supplements is the single worst advice you've ever seen on MOTL, then you haven't been around long enough.

2.) Even if the goal was to get colossal, most of that crap is just a marketing gimmick that'll end up leaving you puffy. The single most important non-exercise factor for muscular hypertrophy is testosterone. While it's true that a fairly high protein intake seems to increase muscle protein synthesis, it's usually vastly overstated. If you're serious about bodybuilding (i.e. you want to compete), it's not that hard to hit the required amount of protein (no more than ~1.8g/kg body weight) even without whey and co., although it can be a useful shortcut.

3.) I should have specified that I'm an amateur bodybuilder (not a professional, as you seem to have assumed)--I have no desire to compete. I'm a big, muscular guy nonetheless (6ft, 206lbs). The only point here is that one doesn't need to overeat to achieve a very respectable physique, and one shouldn't associate "getting into shape" with the supplements marketed to amateur builders (the vast majority of whom aren't using them right anyway).

If you want to compete, then things are a little different--and I'm sorry to say that in that case you're probably going to have to do some cycles 'roids among other unpleasant things. Nobody here has expressed that desire, however.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

Bugger
posted November 16, 2012 07:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

1.) dhamil3's stated goal was to get back in shape, not to get colossal. None of that crap is going to help, and odds are it's going to impede his/her goals. If telling dhamil3 to forget the bars, shakes, and supplements is the single worst advice you've ever seen on MOTL, then you haven't been around long enough.

Daner making gross exaggerations, misunderstanding other people's posts, and telling other people what to do? Shucks, must be a day ending in "y".

daner
posted November 16, 2012 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
quote:
Daner making gross exaggerations, misunderstanding other people's posts, and telling other people what to do? Shucks, must be a day ending in "y".

Oh, I'm sorry? Do you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT? No, probably not. You have no idea what you're talking about little boy...go away. I'd love to meet you one day...I really would. I'd love to see how smart you are in person, or how many witty comebacks you'd have for me. Go back to being a champion level internet troll. Telling someone bad advice like "eat less, exercise more" then waiting around to troll someone shows your level of worth to the MOTL community....which is little at best. The goal isn't to starve yourself, you can eat ....you know what it's not even worth explaining to you. Literally just made me stop mid sentence.

quote:
A few things are worth noting, daner:

2.) Even if the goal was to get colossal, most of that crap is just a marketing gimmick that'll end up leaving you puffy. The single most important non-exercise factor for muscular hypertrophy is testosterone. While it's true that a fairly high protein intake seems to increase muscle protein synthesis, it's usually vastly overstated. If you're serious about bodybuilding (i.e. you want to compete), it's not that hard to hit the required amount of protein (no more than ~1.8g/kg body weight) even without whey and co., although it can be a useful shortcut.

3.) I should have specified that I'm an amateur bodybuilder (not a professional, as you seem to have assumed)--I have no desire to compete. I'm a big, muscular guy nonetheless (6ft, 206lbs). The only point here is that one doesn't need to overeat to achieve a very respectable physique, and one shouldn't associate "getting into shape" with the supplements marketed to amateur builders (the vast majority of whom aren't using them right anyway).

If you want to compete, then things are a little different--and I'm sorry to say that in that case you're probably going to have to do some cycles 'roids among other unpleasant things. Nobody here has expressed that desire, however.

1. I know the person wanted to "get back in shape" and not get colossal. Eating lean meats, brown rice, nuts, EVOO, whole grains, fruits and fiber rich veggies isn't getting "bulking" food this is flat out being more healthy in your diet.

Cardio, eating breakfast, portion control, and making sure your body gets the right fats are all things you should do if you want to lose weight and get into shape. These are the things I suggested for them....

When did I ever advocate the use of massive amounts of supplements for them to use? I asked YOU how YOU could claim to be a "body-builder" without using any of them.

I agree completly, if your goal isn't to get massive then most likely you don't need all of that crap.

I guess we both misunderstood each other.

If you are an "amateur" you'd be better off classifing yourself as "men's physic" not "body-builder" class. Two completly different classes, and it seems like you'd fall under the MP class if you were going to attend a show.

2.I agree that a lot of things you just don't need when bodybuilding, but there are supplements you do need, and not illegal ones like steriods. Again....I don't know how one gets "massive" without some help. Nobody justs lifts weights and becomes big. There is a limit to what you can accomplish without help. I'd never tell anyone to use steriods but if you want to get bigger there are a few supplements I and many others I know(about a dozen of which are trainers) would reccomend. Anyway...since the discussion isn't about your or my personal preferences towards what supplements to take or not to take and about giving this person sggestions about how to lose weight most of this is a moot point. If you got to your size without ANY help...kudos to you. Just remember not everybody will have the same body makeup as you and results will vary. I guess this goes for both the use and lack there of of supplements.

3.I never said to overeat. I said if you want to lose weight you should break your 3 large meals down into smaller meals. Eat the same, just more often to fully utilize your metabolism. You shoul eatthingsthat are healthy...not just calorie efficient. If you work out, you need more calories than you normally would. Simply just burning off the calories without replenishing them is horrid advice though. You can have an even worse effect on your body. You want to eat the same amount of calories and exercise....just make sure those calroies aren't empty. If you consume only 2,200 calories in a given day make sure they aren't from crap like cheeseburgers and the like. If you consume 2,200 healthy calories in th eform of chicken, fish, nuts, fruits, veggies, beans and rice you are not only going to be eating healthy but you are going ot be eating more food to get to that plateau. If you spread them out over a given day you will feel like you are constantly eating, and that might be true but your body will constantly be working to break down the food. Thus you'll have more energy and you'll actually lose the wieght in a healthy natural fashion. Things like Weight-Watchers are decieving. The point system is deceptive, if you go over your points for one meal you have to skimp on the next...you don't want that. More often than not people are starving themelves on these "fad" diets. Ever seen when someone gets off of them? Usually they begin to gain the weight back almost instantly and sometimes they gain more.

I never said to overeat. I said to cut the larger meals down into multiple smaller ones. I agree that you shouldn't overeat. That wont solve your weight-loss problem.

Again though, things like eating breakfast, cardio, and making sure your body gets the right amount of good fats/calories in a given day is common knowledge....

Now, I'm sure that even though you can find tons of people who would agree with me(trainers, dieticians, dr.s, other physical enthusiasts) I'm sure Bugger will say I'm just talking out my ass.

So TLDR....find what works for YOU and do it.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by daner on November 16, 2012]

Bugger
posted November 16, 2012 10:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
Oh, I'm sorry? Do you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT? No, probably not. You have no idea what you're talking about little boy...go away. I'd love to meet you one day...I really would. I'd love to see how smart you are in person, or how many witty comebacks you'd have for me. Go back to being a champion level internet troll. Telling someone bad advice like "eat less, exercise more" then waiting around to troll someone shows your level of worth to the MOTL community....which is little at best. The goal isn't to starve yourself, you can eat ....you know what it's not even worth explaining to you. Literally just made me stop mid sentence.

You take everything so intensely. Why do you get so worked up over being right?

I suspect I wouldn't really enjoy your company as a person, you're too self-assured for my tastes, but I don't really know that that factors in here (for the record, I'm just as much a smartass in person, so I'm willing to wager the feeling is mutual).

I'm not trying to justify myself to you because I don't really care overmuch what you think of me, but this is part of it. What I said, that set you off, wasn't meant to be nasty. I mean, yes, it was, but it was meant to point out what I feel is a truth. It was a poor decision because I knew from prior history it would set you off. That's my error.

Sorry for derailing the point of your thread, dhamil3.

AGO
posted November 16, 2012 10:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
I have to agree with daner. He seemed to hit the nail on the head.

Weight loss is 75% diet. Not eating less but just eating better. Add in a little exercise and you will slowly lose weight. If you stick to the diet and exercise you will probably only lose 2.5 pounds per week. It is a slow go but you will get there.

Don't skip breakfast it starts your metabolism in the mourning. Eating small meals all day will keep it going.

dhamil3
posted November 16, 2012 06:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dhamil3 Click Here to Email dhamil3 Send a private message to dhamil3 Click to send dhamil3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
actually i just wanted to know if anybody else has eaten really crappy 'health' food.

you know, like powdered ranch dressing....

i've been on the workout to get back into shape routine before and have done so quite sucessfully in the past. just got divorced and was time to get back into the dating scene again. just thought the bar looked so damn delicous and then have it be a total failure. had another one for dinner the other night and was better than the first go round.

just trying to inject a little humor into our day.

Bugger
posted November 16, 2012 11:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Oh, well if that's all.

I had some Clif bars, and the chocolate brownie flavor was just disgusting. The others were alright, although I couldn't tell you what they even were. But damn, talk about gross.

GottaLoveElves
posted November 17, 2012 09:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for GottaLoveElves Click Here to Email GottaLoveElves Send a private message to GottaLoveElves Click to send GottaLoveElves an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, well if that's all.

I had some Clif bars, and the chocolate brownie flavor was just disgusting. The others were alright, although I couldn't tell you what they even were. But damn, talk about gross.

While I agree the flavor leaves a lot to be desired, when I'm in the midst of an 8 hour hike those things are golden. I probably wouldn't be eating them if I wasn't about the immediately use their contents, but they're like a second wind in bar form.

Volcanon
posted November 17, 2012 09:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Real men take a large hog with them on an 8 hour hike. Then, when you need a second wind, you slaughter the hog and eat the bacon raw. The raw oinker flesh is like a second wind in pig form. Leave the parts of the carcass you don't need as an offering to the Bear God Grauwhl. He will be pleased.

SnapShot
posted November 17, 2012 01:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SnapShot Send a private message to SnapShot Click to send SnapShot an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Real men take a large hog with them on an 8 hour hike. Then, when you need a second wind, you slaughter the hog and eat the bacon raw. The raw oinker flesh is like a second wind in pig form. Leave the parts of the carcass you don't need as an offering to the Bear God Grauwhl. He will be pleased.

this ^

GottaLoveElves
posted November 17, 2012 02:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GottaLoveElves Click Here to Email GottaLoveElves Send a private message to GottaLoveElves Click to send GottaLoveElves an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Raw bacon doesn't exist--it is, by definition, a cured meat, and yet you make no mention of salt at all. Such a dearth of knowledge would not only disappoint Bear God Grauwhl, but it has me doubting that you've ever even done this.

LemonMeringue
posted November 19, 2012 10:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
Volcanon if you are really making this up like GLE says, I am really disappointed

Edit: I want to believe

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LemonMeringue on November 19, 2012]

airwalk
posted November 19, 2012 01:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GottaLoveElves:
Raw bacon doesn't exist--it is, by definition, a cured meat, and yet you make no mention of salt at all. Such a dearth of knowledge would not only disappoint Bear God Grauwhl, but it has me doubting that you've ever even done this.

You do realise that there is uncured bacon (legally, by industry standards, it's uncured anyway) though, right? Some people don't like salts. You can get it at an actual meat store or butcher. I mean, it's sold as "bacon" at least, not sure whose definition we're going by to define bacon... but yeah. Maybe they are misleaded the public in order to increase sales though. Hmmm, lots to think about with bacon.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by airwalk on November 19, 2012]

GottaLoveElves
posted November 19, 2012 01:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GottaLoveElves Click Here to Email GottaLoveElves Send a private message to GottaLoveElves Click to send GottaLoveElves an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by airwalk:
You do realise that there is uncured bacon (legally, by industry standards, it's uncured anyway) though, right? Some people don't like salts. You can get it at an actual meat store or butcher. I mean, it's sold as "bacon" at least, not sure whose definition we're going by to define bacon... but yeah. Maybe they are misleaded the public in order to increase sales though. Hmmm, lots to think about with bacon.

From The Hitchhiker's Guide Entry For Bacon, the first line:

quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia:
Bacon is a cured meat prepared from a pig. It is first cured using large quantities of salt, either in a brine or in a dry packing; the result is fresh bacon (also known as green bacon). Fresh bacon may then be further dried for weeks or months in cold air, boiled, or smoked. Fresh and dried bacon is typically cooked before eating. Boiled bacon is ready to eat, as is some smoked bacon, but may be cooked further before eating.

I love how we have degenerated a healthy food post into bacon talk. Wouldn't have it any other way, really.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League