Click Here!

Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  MLB 2010 pt 2: Playoffs and beyond (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   MLB 2010 pt 2: Playoffs and beyond
skizzikmonger
posted October 09, 2010 07:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yankees are LCS bound. Bring on the Rangers!

Thanos
posted October 09, 2010 07:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
**** the Yankees.

skizzikmonger
posted October 09, 2010 07:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
blah blah blah

Sorry, but I was distracted by the glare coming off the Yankee's 27 championship trophies and didn't catch what you said.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by skizzikmonger on October 09, 2010]

hilikuS
posted October 09, 2010 08:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
**** the Yankees.

There's no crying in baseball!

speechjew
posted October 10, 2010 07:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for speechjew Click Here to Email speechjew Send a private message to speechjew Click to send speechjew an Instant MessageVisit speechjew's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Big Game Hunter is hunting sting rays today.

AlmostGrown
posted October 10, 2010 09:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
go phillies

super324
posted October 10, 2010 09:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for super324 Click Here to Email super324 Send a private message to super324 Click to send super324 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View super324's Trade Auction or SaleView super324's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by speechjew:
Big Game Hunter is hunting sting rays today.

LOL..I kept trying to find the "like" button for this post.

gaeacradle
posted October 10, 2010 02:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
Sigh...Rangers lost again. Oh well, Price vs. Lee in Game 5 should be amazing.

stu55
posted October 10, 2010 04:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gaeacradle:
Sigh...Rangers lost again. Oh well, Price vs. Lee in Game 5 should be amazing.

Yeah, too bad neither can pitch till game 3 of the ALCS now...looks good for the yanks now

Greven53
posted October 11, 2010 05:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Greven53 Click Here to Email Greven53 Send a private message to Greven53 Click to send Greven53 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Ahh, the Twins lost and I can officially close the 2010 season in my head. Congratulations to the Yankees and Phillies for buying the World Series (I hope I am wrong), if it takes a lock-out to fix this crap then perhaps it is time.

Thanos
posted October 11, 2010 05:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greven53:
Ahh, the Twins lost and I can officially close the 2010 season in my head. Congratulations to the Yankees and Phillies for buying the World Series (I hope I am wrong), if it takes a lock-out to fix this crap then perhaps it is time.

I don't understand how you can claim the Phillies bought their team when most of it was farm raised or traded for with with the farm system.

CubFan81
posted October 12, 2010 08:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
quote:
I don't understand how you can claim the Phillies bought their team when most of it was farm raised or traded for with with the farm system.

Not to mention anyone who wins the World Series technically bought it since they did have to pay their players something.

I can understand the frustration in that the system does make it easier for certain teams to retain their pricey players as well as afford a few mistakes along the way. But for now, that's the way the system works and though it appears that a NY-PHI World Series is in the cards, there's also nothing wrong with seeing two very good teams play each other to see who's better.

The Giants and Rangers/Rays still can muck things up if they want to.

speechjew
posted October 12, 2010 02:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for speechjew Click Here to Email speechjew Send a private message to speechjew Click to send speechjew an Instant MessageVisit speechjew's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greven53:

yeah man, what are you smoking? Howard, utley, rollins, Hamels, ruiz, victorino, polanco (former philly), and werth were all either original players or signed young.

They traded bourn for lidge, drabek for halladay, happ (3rd round) and gose (2nd round) for oswalt, and made minor trades for romero and durbin.

The only big free agents on the team? Raul Ibanez and Joe Blanton.

rats60
posted October 12, 2010 02:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
yeah man, what are you smoking? Howard, utley, rollins, Hamels, ruiz, victorino, polanco (former philly), and werth were all either original players or signed young.

They traded bourn for lidge, drabek for halladay, happ (3rd round) and gose (2nd round) for oswalt, and made minor trades for romero and durbin.

The only big free agents on the team? Raul Ibanez and Joe Blanton.

Yankees 2010 Payroll 206 million
Phillies 2010 Payroll 142 million

Most teams don't have that type of money to spend on players. The Phillies are able to trade prospects for stars because they have the money to spend. You can't do that in any other sport. It's not just about signing free agents, because most teams trade away their best players before they become free agents. Until there is a cap in baseball to even the playing field, teams like the Yankees and Phillies will try to buy championships.

JoshSherman
posted October 12, 2010 02:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by rats60:
Most teams don't have that type of money to spend on players.

That's what they want you to believe, but it's not true.

rats60
posted October 12, 2010 03:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JoshSherman:
That's what they want you to believe, but it's not true.

Do you really think that the Rays can spend 142 million to resign their players? ROTFLMAO. Teams in small markets can't compete. How do you think the Yankees would like it if all the small market teams decided to move into the NY/NJ area. The Rays and Twins could draw a lot more fans and make a lot more money. Then they might be able to come close to evening the playing field. The Yankees would never go for that, they want to always be able to out spend everyone else.

stu55
posted October 12, 2010 03:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you really think that the Rays can spend 142 million to resign their players? ROTFLMAO. Teams in small markets can't compete. How do you think the Yankees would like it if all the small market teams decided to move into the NY/NJ area. The Rays and Twins could draw a lot more fans and make a lot more money. Then they might be able to come close to evening the playing field. The Yankees would never go for that, they want to always be able to out spend everyone else.

Are you saying if the Rays/Twins moved into NY, that people will root for them over the Yankees?! Really? The Rays and Twins have so much more of a history than the Yankees huh?

The Pirates are in the top echelon of profiting baseball teams yet they don't spend that much on their payroll (they do spend more than any other team on their farm system)

The Yankees can afford to outspend everyone because the majority of the profit that is generated by the team and the YES network go back into the major league product.

Players also want to come to NY for A)Chance to win a championship, B) the high quality they are treated and C) for the rich history that the Yankees have.

I think that is the model that every team should follow and then you might have an even more fair playing field

gaeacradle
posted October 12, 2010 08:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
SWEET!!!!!!! Rangers won first playoff series ever!!

God, I hope Cliff Lee stays! I probably have a better chance of winning a Grand Prix.

hilikuS
posted October 13, 2010 06:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Do you really think that the Rays can spend 142 million to resign their players? ROTFLMAO. Teams in small markets can't compete.

The Rays are in the small market, and they are competing. According to Cot's baseball contracts, the Rays are actually spending more than Texas by a bit. Only the Yanks and Phillies are over 100 million.

Consider that the following teams are also over 100 million:
Dodgers, Mets, White Sox, Angels, Red Sox, and Tigers. Of course, none of those teams are in the playoffs. Some of them being outright awful teams.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/

Awesome website btw.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by hilikuS on October 13, 2010]

CubFan81
posted October 13, 2010 07:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
quote:

I don't know about the Rays, but the Rangers should have no excuse from here on out on spending. Especially since THIS will give them $150M a year before they even sell a single ticket.

Now, the question becomes who can sustain their own networks. The Yankees obviously benefit from having their own network to charge whatever ad rates they can get away with. Their target audience is almost as big as number 2 (LA) and 3 (CHI) combined. And that's just in NYC proper.

There are at best 5 or 6 teams that could sustain their own networks. Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs for sure. Possibly also the Dodgers, Phillies, and Mets.

At some point, individual network revenue is going to have to be dealt with because as far as I know the current system has a huge loophole. Tom Ricketts (the Cubs owner) can personally create his own Cubs Network and then sell the Cubs broadcast rights to the network for $1M annually for 20 years. That is the only number that would be reported to MLB in the team income portion for revenue sharing purposes when in reality Ricketts has also pulled in anywhere from $150M-$200M from the Cubs Network.

That kind of imbalance (while great if you're a fan of any of those teams) is going to cause even more problems as the divide grows. Any guesses as to where Strasburg or Harper are going to end up in 8 or 9 years?

Can small market teams win? Most definitely. Can they sustain multiple years of winning? Sure. But you can bet it's a lot harder than it is for the other guys.

stu55
posted October 13, 2010 07:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think Strasburg and Harper will stay, I don't really see Washington being a "small" market. The only way they leave is if the team doesn't start winning and they want to win

rats60
posted October 13, 2010 08:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by stu55:

Are you saying if the Rays/Twins moved into NY, that people will root for them over the Yankees?! Really? The Rays and Twins have so much more of a history than the Yankees huh?

No one is going to out draw the Yankess, but they would at least be more competitive financially. Look at the Mets with their 133 million payroll this year and 150 million last, despite having losing teams. You don't think that more people would rather go to a Rays or Twins game than a Mets game?

If the Rays had 150 million to spend on their players, they could bid against teams like the Yankees to keep their players. Teams in small markets can only win thru their farm systems. It is much easier for teams like the Yankees to just buy the stars when they need them.

Yankees history? LOL. The Yankees started out as losers. It wasn't until they started buying players that they started winning. They bought Babe Ruth from the Red Sox and then they won their first pennant. The Yankees bought Joe DiMaggio from the San Francisco Seals. They used the Kansas City A's as their farm team during the 50's and 60's to keep up their winning tradition, stealing their best talent for nothing, players such as Roger Maris. The Yankees were losers from 1965-75 and what do they do, start buying players again, Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, ect. It was the money that started the tradition, not the other way around.

stu55
posted October 13, 2010 08:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stu55 Click Here to Email stu55 Send a private message to stu55 Click to send stu55 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So you are saying "spend money to make money"....I don't see the problem...

speechjew
posted October 14, 2010 03:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for speechjew Click Here to Email speechjew Send a private message to speechjew Click to send speechjew an Instant MessageVisit speechjew's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://gossipsports.com/?p=684

Rangers and Yankees' payrolls have the biggest disparity ever.

Yes, some of the numbers are not 100% true. They are not what the teams are paying them, but what the players are earning. It is two different things.

The Rangers are only paying 4 mil of Lee's 9 mil, while the Yankees aren't paying a cent of Berkman's.

Still pretty cool to see the underdog Rebel Alliance take on the Evil Empire.

Rangers in 7

gaeacradle
posted October 14, 2010 04:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
quote:
Rangers in 7

I hope so. I'm just glad all the Yankees hater will be supporting the Rangers.

This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League