Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  Discussion on the Auction Board (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 9 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Discussion on the Auction Board
nderdog
posted June 12, 2008 08:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
For those that don't know, there actually is an auction board on MOTL. You can get there through Site Navigation at the top of each forum page, or here. It's currently not being used, and was last used for auctioning off some of the special cards for the last Stack sale. I know that some of us would like to see it kick-started and become a useful part of MOTL.

If you have ideas about how to get people involved in it, please post them here. I do NOT want random people saying to just kill it, as that serves no purpose. If it hasn't gone away yet, it's not going to. Also, please try and focus on the changes that we as members can make. Yes, it would be great to make it easier to find and such, but we can't control that. If there's some life breathed into it, then it may be worth the time for Leshrac to look at making it more prominent.

I've tossed around the idea of putting up a few random cards there to get people going there. I have a ton of foils and foreign cards that I want to get rid of. I can't do it alone, though. We need people who both are willing to post cards there and those who are interested in bidding on cards as well.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

fwybwed
posted June 12, 2008 09:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fwybwed Click Here to Email fwybwed Send a private message to fwybwed Click to send fwybwed an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have been there a couple of times. I would say make it a part of the forum, I usually look at all aspects of the forum before i go, Im sure others do as well. So make it part of the main forum

PEACE!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by fwybwed on June 12, 2008]

puregoblinboy47
posted June 12, 2008 09:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for puregoblinboy47 Click Here to Email puregoblinboy47 Send a private message to puregoblinboy47 Click to send puregoblinboy47 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I posted a couple auctions in the spirit of getting the ball rolling. It's awesome to have a free auction board, but man does it need to be remormatted. All indentations and other attempts to make it easy to read are removed making it a block of text.

If it was worked on and advertised more, it may see more practical use. I only look at the boards when people tell me too like you just did, honestly. I forgot they are even a part of the site.

Perhaps you could post an announcement on top of each forum to raise awareness of it, not many people check the GD, especially compared to the H/W and TA/S forum.

iccarus
posted June 12, 2008 09:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by puregoblinboy47:
I posted a couple auctions in the spirit of getting the ball rolling.

bid placed

A few things that come to mind...

1. Make regular accounts work on the auction board. Currently, you have to sign up again to use it. Cutting out this step makes it easier for people to buy there.

2. Make it easier to post pictures.

3. Set it up to display the refs of the seller. As it stands now, clicking on their name only opens up a chance to e-mail them.

4. Allow for reserves to be set. Especially until the board picks up. My greatest fear right now would be listing something with a starting bid that's way too low.

In concept, I like the idea of the auction board. However, it's quite often a lot easier to just list cards with a set price in the TA forum.

nderdog
posted June 12, 2008 10:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
I appreciate the ideas, people, but again, I really want us to focus on what WE can do, not those in charge of site design. If we show that we are using it, that will get their attention and push the Auction Boards higher on the list of priorities.

edit:

quote:
Originally posted by iccarus:
4. Allow for reserves to be set. Especially until the board picks up. My greatest fear right now would be listing something with a starting bid that's way too low.

Errr...that's been there as far back as I know of...

Report rules violations.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by nderdog on June 12, 2008]

sys41o
posted June 12, 2008 10:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The reason why I don't post items on the auction board boils down to one simple reason ... no white space. If the auction board allowed line returns and tabs I would be interested in posting. As of now I hate looking at auctions and I hate posting items where there isn't even a line return.

This comes into play especially when you have a lot of items that would be much easier read if each item could be put on it's own line.

Just my 2 cents.

iccarus
posted June 12, 2008 11:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
Errr...that's been there as far back as I know of...

Perhaps I missed that option then. I've only listed the stack cards on there, and wasn't setting a reserve on those. Just rapid firing ideas on my end.

Animosity
posted June 12, 2008 11:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Animosity Click Here to Email Animosity Send a private message to Animosity Click to send Animosity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
I appreciate the ideas, people, but again, I really want us to focus on what WE can do, not those in charge of site design.

I thinks that the problem . To really make improvements site design is the number one way . Honestly the best Ideas IMHO are make it part of the forums and not having to register again for it .

We know people are interested in auctioning Look at all the posts that have been closed recently . Making it visually available in the forums should boost auction board usage by itself.

I personally think the whole auction section needs a make over . Most if not all the suggestions made here would be an improvement.

The only think I could think of that any member could do is link it in their sig . Try and give it more publicity.

nderdog
posted June 12, 2008 11:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Animosity:
I thinks that the problem . To really make improvements site design is the number one way . Honestly the best Ideas IMHO are make it part of the forums and not having to register again for it .

We know people are interested in auctioning Look at all the posts that have been closed recently . Making it visually available in the forums should boost auction board usage by itself.

I personally think the whole auction section needs a make over . Most if not all the suggestions made here would be an improvement.

The only think I could think of that any member could do is link it in their sig . Try and give it more publicity.

No one's saying that a redesign wouldn't help. It's beyond our control though, and pointless to discuss. Everyone's feelings are well known to the powers that be, but until we show that it's going to be worth their effort, it doesn't help anyone to keep rehashing those thoughts.

Report rules violations.

sys41o
posted June 12, 2008 12:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if there is a named HTML Character entity for new line?

Named character entities work on the auction board however numeric entity refrences don't. I have not been able to locate the named entity for new line.

Ml490
Banned
posted June 12, 2008 02:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ml490 Click Here to Email Ml490 Send a private message to Ml490 Click to send Ml490 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I might rework the groupings into something more like

T2
T1
Extended
Casual
Rarities
Non-Mtg

puregoblinboy47
posted June 12, 2008 05:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for puregoblinboy47 Click Here to Email puregoblinboy47 Send a private message to puregoblinboy47 Click to send puregoblinboy47 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Well, I might just post two auctions a week. Easy to keep up with(trading with no negotiations and dialogue other than shipping and payment info?) and creates incentive for people to keep checking it on a regular basis.

A 5 minute drive to the post office twice a week is nothing, less if it's just toploader plus envelope. Join me and let's get something going. If it starts picking up, I'll post more than just cool playsets.

Let's get it on! Advertise it on your sigs!

Nder, what's your thought on posting a "reminder" in the form of announcements at the top of your forums? If we get a couple hundred people checking back, it should grow handily from there. It's at least a way we can potentially get some traffic in there.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by puregoblinboy47 on June 12, 2008]

nderdog
posted June 12, 2008 05:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by puregoblinboy47:
Nder, what's your thought on posting a "reminder" in the form of announcements at the top of your forums? If we get a couple hundred people checking back, it should grow handily from there. It's at least a way we can potentially get some traffic in there.

I honestly don't know that it would make a difference. I don't think people regularly read the rules/announcements post. I think threads like this will have much more of an impact on reminding people about the boards.

Okay, I've put my cards where my mouth is, and added 3 auctions. Time to get rid of these foreign cards!

Report rules violations.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by nderdog on June 12, 2008]

implode
posted June 12, 2008 07:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
OK, I'm sport--I placed an auction:
http://forums.magictraders.com/auction.cgi?category=iurza&item=1213929045

I don't like how it directly displays my email address in plain view for bots...that is a huge issue as it stands right now. I also notice you can't edit descriptions, a bummer since I meant to include sending order preferences in my description--but forgot to do so.

Havoc Demon
posted June 12, 2008 07:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think I'll add an auction just to give it a try.

AIM: Wings0298

Tiff
posted June 12, 2008 09:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tiff Click Here to Email Tiff Send a private message to Tiff Click to send Tiff an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I agree it doesn't get enough attention. I bet at least half of the regular user's don't know about it. If we can get some more attention to it then maybe it will take off. I like the idea of putting links in sigs to get the word out.

implode
posted June 12, 2008 10:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
So does MOTL auction system automatically alert you when the auctions are over and the winner?

is their anyway to add additional info to an auction? I would love to add to the terms that international shipping is more then $2...its my actual cost. Perhaps that I can combine shipping to reduce costs, if someone is trading with me.

Also I like the idea of a more permanent auction thread where people post in it regularly to advertise things. Nothing out of hand, but just to let people know whats up on the block.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by implode on June 12, 2008]

cerberus
posted June 13, 2008 09:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for cerberus Click Here to Email cerberus Send a private message to cerberus Click to send cerberus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
We need to be able to access it from each forum page, instead of just the main home page. I don't know about anyone else, but I rarely go to the main page. I think if it was placed correctly where you could see it at the top of every forum or have/want thread, it would take off in no time.

There was a time when people actually used it. I think it's possible for it to happen again. Just getting the knowledge of it being there is half the battle.

BoltBait
posted June 13, 2008 10:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for BoltBait Click Here to Email BoltBait Send a private message to BoltBait Click to send BoltBait an Instant MessageVisit BoltBait's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cerberus:
We need to be able to access it from each forum page, instead of just the main home page.

You can!

davef139
posted June 13, 2008 10:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for davef139 Click Here to Email davef139 Send a private message to davef139 Click to send davef139 an Instant MessageVisit davef139's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Maybe if the site wasnt known for randomly going down it might be better.

WeedIan
posted June 13, 2008 10:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
I'm trying to bid and its telling me my password is incorrect.

and i'm obviously logged into motl

nderdog
posted June 13, 2008 10:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by WeedIan:
I'm trying to bid and its telling me my password is incorrect.

and i'm obviously logged into motl

Have you registered for the Auction Boards yet? If not, you need to do so. It's separate from your regular MOTL account.

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

k illig
posted June 13, 2008 11:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for k illig Click Here to Email k illig Send a private message to k illig Click to send k illig an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It is now in my sig and TA list (not that anybody reads either). I have some stuff I can auction off too, as soon as I stop being lazy and sick

The MOTL Auction Board - Yes, it exists

ogre
posted June 13, 2008 03:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ogre Click Here to Email ogre Send a private message to ogre Click to send ogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ogre's Have/Want ListView ogre's Have/Want List
I'll post a few items to auction off... seems like good publicity.

Not sure if this would work but if there was one set time where a bunch of auctions would end maybe there would be more of a following. Almost like a live auction and items go in order as opposed to having auctions end at all different times.

If you posted to have a couple auctions end roughly at a certain time on a certain day basically w/ a decent number of MOTL'ers say 20 for instance.

it's a thought.....

edit: continued thought

[Edited 1 times, lastly by ogre on June 13, 2008]

Ml490
Banned
posted June 13, 2008 06:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ml490 Click Here to Email Ml490 Send a private message to Ml490 Click to send Ml490 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ml490:
I might rework the groupings into something more like

T2
T1
Extended
Casual
Rarities
Non-Mtg

This topic is 9 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic