Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Articles
  For all of you that say Wild research sucks. Well, check this tourny report out!!! (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   For all of you that say Wild research sucks. Well, check this tourny report out!!!
Magic1264
posted August 12, 2001 12:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magic1264 Click Here to Email Magic1264 Send a private message to Magic1264 Click to send Magic1264 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This report is to merely show the extreme power of wild research. I want to prove that this card is one of the POWER cards in apocalyspe and will blow away any deck in the field.

Wild Research.dec (61)

Instants (25):

4 counterspell
4 absorb
4 accumalated knowledge
3 fact or fiction
2 prophetic bolt
2 orim's thunder
4 urza's rage
2 misdirection

Enchantments (7):

3 wild research
2 hobble
2 teferi's moat

Sorceries (2):

2 wrath of god

Creatures (3):

3 Rakavovlver

Land (24):

2 shivan reef
3 battlefield forge
9 island
6 plains
4 mountains

Sideboard:

2 powerstone minefield
2 order and chaos
2 rout
2 hibernation
3 reprisal
4 gainsay

Match 1 vs Machinehead:

Game 1: Ah, my first machinehead matchup ever. I win the roll and decide to play. My opening hand conisted of island, plains, mountain, orim's thunder, accumalated knowledge, fact or fiction, absorb. I keep the hand. He plays a third turn kicked scuta which is countered by absorb. I reveal with the fact or fiction 2 absorbs, counterspell, rakavovler, 1 island. He splits the abosorbs and puts the rakavovler and island in to one and the other counterspell into another. "I choose the counter and rakavovler and after 4 more turns, kick the vovler with 2 islands open. He scoops.

Match 2: I didn't feel anything in my sideboard was going to help. The match was pretty much the same couterwise and he parised down to 5. He lost to two kicked rages in a row.

Match: 1-0-0
Game: 2-0-0

Match 2 vs B/G/W arena:

Game 1: I start with 3 islands, 2 counterspells, 2 accumalated knowledge. He drops 2 consecutive llanowar dead on turn 2 and 3. I drop wild research on turn four. He attempt's to drop spiritmonger 2 turns in a row. 4 accumalted knowledges, 2 fact or fictions, and 6 countered spells later, i beat him down with all three of my rakavolvers.

Game 2: I side in 3 reprisal and 2 order/chaos for 2 bolts, 2 moats, 1 fact or fiction. I feel i have control of the game after countering 2 deeds, 2 arena's, and 1 kicked desolation angel, and reprisaling 2 spiritmonger. He catches me off gaurd with another kicked desolation angel. I search for a counterspell only to have it striped from my hand(the only downfall of wild research). I procede to try a fact or fiction to grab more card to increase my research odds and maybe get my last counterspell, I reveal no land but 2 rages, 2 knowledges, 1 rakvolver. I grab the thing with the most, long story short, I lose to that kicked desolation angel.

Game 3: Well, i don't need to do anything cause he gets mana screwed and loses to my doublekicked rakavovler.

Match: 2-0-0
Game: 4-1-0

Match 3: U/G/B tempo

Game 1: This was one lucky newbie. He made it undefeated with creatures such as phrexian reaper and blind seer. I call him a newbie cause the kid was no more than 7 years of age. Anyways, We trade counterspells, him countering my wild research and me countering any of his flyer. I had to wait til i kicked rage twice to defeat him.

Game 2: Couldn't side in anything but gainsay cause all i saw was reaper and aprentice's. It doesn't matter anyways cause i drop rakvovler turn 6 with 2 misdirction, 2 absorbs and 2 counterpells protecting it. It was all over in 4 turns. He makes a valient effort by trying to repulse/spring(which are misdirected to his blockers )

Match: 3-0-0
Game: 6-1-0

Match 4 vs. B/W arena

Game 1: He parised down to 4, he immedialtly concedes.

Game 2: I side in powerstone minefield, order/chaos for 2 bolt's and 2 orim's thunder. He parised down to 5 and cursed out his deck to hell and back. He drops two lynxes on turn 2 and 3. I drop powerstone minefield turn 4. I counter his idol and kicked angel. I finish him with a two kicked rages in a row. I can't blame him for cussing his deck out, he didn't even drop arena.

Match: 4-0-0
Game: 8-1-0

Top four parings

Top four match 1 vs. R/W/u

Game 1: This deck is amazingly lucky. He was pulling wins out of no where. Anyways, I draw 2 plains, 1 island, 1 mountain, 2 knowledge, 1 fact or fiction. The turns go back and forth for about ten minutes. I was waiting to kick rage. By watching his former matchups, i found that he had mass creature removal. and a lot of it. My guess is he was waiting for kicked rage cause he was also countinuesly counting his own lands. I kicked rage at the end of his turn, he then rage's me in response, but low and behold, the almighty misdircetion save my rear end once again.

Game 2: Look at game one

Match: 5-0-0
Games: 10-1-0

Final round: Me and my friend make it and decide to draw and split the prize. Since he knows i can be his megrim/devotion deck. I, being a nice guy let him off the hook but he had to give me the match win.

Well, if that doesn't prove the absolute power of wild research, i will get more proof next week.

Famous Quote:

"Life is like a box of chocolates... A worthless, good for nothing gift that nobody asks for in the first place.

SuperJimmy
posted August 12, 2001 01:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SuperJimmy Click Here to Email SuperJimmy Send a private message to SuperJimmy Click to send SuperJimmy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't think people said rakavolver was bad, just not "super-good". Yeah, you won the tourney, but the decks you played against were highly questionable. If in the final you played a guy with a Devotion/Megrim deck...i'd have to question just how competitive the tourney is. But not a bad tourney report thhough.

Arch-Zealot
Banned
posted August 13, 2001 05:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Arch-Zealot Click Here to Email Arch-Zealot Send a private message to Arch-Zealot Click to send Arch-Zealot an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Wild Research is indeed good. But I think its better in IBC. Although those decks weren't really that "tourney-competitive". But still, nice report.

volrath_the_elf
Banned
posted August 13, 2001 08:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for volrath_the_elf Click Here to Email volrath_the_elf Send a private message to volrath_the_elf Click to send volrath_the_elf an Instant MessageVisit volrath_the_elf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
That's quite a few kickered rages by one deck in one tourney

Bleh, stupid UBB code. Just email me or bahamutzero@sky.linuxplanet.nu if you want to know a place to get rid of your pokemon cards or chat about final fantasy

iakae
Banned
posted August 14, 2001 05:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iakae Click Here to Email iakae Send a private message to iakae Click to send iakae an Instant MessageVisit iakae's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm looking at a lot of games where Wild Research isn't even mentioned. Kind of begs the question whether or not it's even necessary.

*Tedman*
posted August 14, 2001 07:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for *Tedman* Click Here to Email *Tedman* Send a private message to *Tedman* Click to send *Tedman* an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Wild Research just plain loses to any real form of discard since it depends on a large hand size to gain control, or aggro-control like Counter Rebels or Skies. Its matchup against Machine Head is also questionable.

I think that if you played your deck in a real Type 2 tournament, you'd get slaughtered. Let's look at your weaker picks for the deck:

2 Prophetic Bolt - if you need Burn, why not Rage? If you need removal, why not Wrath?

2 Hobble - This just escapes me why you play it...why? You should be playing 4 Wrath over this pick.

2 Teferi's Moat - instead of creating a fragile way to stop a few attackers, why not a permanent way to stop many attackers in the form of Wrath? Moat is weak, especially because of Chameleon and Monger.

2 Shivan Reef - Why not 4?

3 Battlefield Forge - Why not 4?

2 Powerstone Minefield - What does it do that Wrath/Rout doesn't?

Deck Help/Construction
Articles
Trade and Value Questions
Non-Magic Trading Forum

Magic1264
posted August 15, 2001 09:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magic1264 Click Here to Email Magic1264 Send a private message to Magic1264 Click to send Magic1264 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Alright tedman, there are 4 cards that have been shaky and have repeatly been replaced. Those cards being bolt and moat. And yes, i have been switching them out for rout/wrath. As for hobble, why use a wrath to get rid of one monger when i can nullify it permanently. plus hobble stops all kinds of one creature control where using wrath is just plain pointless. 2 reef and 3 forge are just to smooth out the mana. Plus, i don't want to draw a hand where this is all of the land i get. That is just too much pain for me. Powerstone minefield does do something to that wrath/rout can't do... Stop rebels cold. I use 1 and it nullify's half of the creatures and the fliers can be easily delt with. Joval Queen is never a serious threat when it comes out. Cause i most likely have my rakavovler double kicked by then.

Iakae, I failed to mention wild research hitting play cause it either never hit play from countering or it was destroyed before i could even use it.

Anyways, i also agree that this wasn't your high class fnm type two but this was the first one i won with this deck and i just had to report it.

Famous Quote:

"Life is like a box of chocolates... A worthless, good for nothing gift that nobody asks for in the first place.

Zuranthium
posted August 16, 2001 05:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zuranthium Click Here to Email Zuranthium Send a private message to Zuranthium Click to send Zuranthium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magic1264:

Iakae, I failed to mention wild research hitting play cause it either never hit play from countering or it was destroyed before i could even use it.

Then why were you stupid enough to name the Title of the Article "For all of you that say Wild Research suck. Well, check this tourney report ou!!!"?

irsih31
posted August 16, 2001 07:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for irsih31 Click Here to Email irsih31 Send a private message to irsih31 Click to send irsih31 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Right now, w.r isnt that powerful.. me thinks however, that will change come christmas time..

ho ho ho

Jay

Come get what Undermines, bops, duals, cores, drains, vindicates, forces, HUGE BLOWOUT SALE!!

Magic1264
posted August 16, 2001 08:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magic1264 Click Here to Email Magic1264 Send a private message to Magic1264 Click to send Magic1264 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zuranthium:
Then why were you stupid enough to name the Title of the Article "For all of you that say Wild Research suck. Well, check this tourney report ou!!!"?

well, doesn't that kinda prove my point that wild research is such a powerful card that people use a whollotta removal to get rid of it.

Famous Quote:

iakae
Banned
posted August 16, 2001 08:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iakae Click Here to Email iakae Send a private message to iakae Click to send iakae an Instant MessageVisit iakae's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
People would use a lot of removal to get rid of a Skyshroud Behemoth if they didn't have a blocker in play they could afford to lose, but that doesn't mean the Behemoth is a good card.

ubercat
posted August 17, 2001 07:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ubercat Click Here to Email ubercat Send a private message to ubercat Click to send ubercat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I've got to agree with Magic1264 - Wild Research
is a great card. Start using it now, because
in the next set or two it's going to blow-up.

Right now I'm slaughtering people with a Croisis-
Go deck w/ three Wild Research. The Wild
Research are more a distraction at this point.
I use it to draw the AKs and FoFs out of my
Library. When I have seven cards, I can tutor
for specialized counters with little chance
of having it go to my Graveyard. Game lock
with the Spirit or Agenda.

Magic1264's deck isn't a great example of a
good Research deck, but the idea is there.

I guess I'd suggest that you play with WR now
because the practice will come in handy.

If you want a list of the Croisis-Go deck go
to Worlds coverage. I think it's #3 or #2 of
the top 8 decks.

ubercat

Ernham
posted August 29, 2001 08:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ernham Click Here to Email Ernham Send a private message to Ernham Click to send Ernham an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Not only is Wild Research good, it can be broken in any format if used properly. Put together Enlightened(sorta) and Mystical Tutors and make them reusable, and you have Wild research. This gives you counters when you need them, card-draw when you need cards, burn when creatures threaten or the opponent is near death, and your choice of enchantments. Of course, Wild Research can be discarded/countered, which is why it should be played in a deck that can stand on its own. The card isn't a guaranteed win, but if you drop it, and get use out of it, then the opponent better be pretty lucky.

Wild Research is insane in Type 1.

ubercat
posted August 29, 2001 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ubercat Click Here to Email ubercat Send a private message to ubercat Click to send ubercat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
As I understand, the newest mechanich WotC will
introduce is similar to Buyback. Can't recall
what the name is. I think it's called rewind.
Esentially, the mechanic allows you to cast
cards from the graveyard.

Coupled with Wild Research, there's a whole
lot of shaking going on. You discard a card
randomly into the graveyard, and if it has the
new feature, your hand size has just increased
by one.

Wild Resaerch will blow-up in November.

ubercat

Cayro
posted August 29, 2001 08:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Cayro Click Here to Email Cayro Send a private message to Cayro Click to send Cayro an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Isn't really that strong in T2/IBC at the moment.

But in Type I, with all the broken enchantments/instant spells available, the things is abusive.

CityOfTraitors
posted August 30, 2001 06:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CityOfTraitors Click Here to Email CityOfTraitors Send a private message to CityOfTraitors Click to send CityOfTraitors an Instant MessageVisit CityOfTraitors's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iakae:
I'm looking at a lot of games where Wild Research isn't even mentioned. Kind of begs the question whether or not it's even necessary.

Ditto

you basically played a u/w control with splash red for the win

Raatcharch
posted August 31, 2001 06:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Raatcharch Click Here to Email Raatcharch Send a private message to Raatcharch Click to send Raatcharch an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Kind of off topic, but how can people who write tourny reports remember all that? I read that taking notes during games was not allowed.

weezerdog
posted September 02, 2001 06:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for weezerdog Click Here to Email weezerdog Send a private message to weezerdog Click to send weezerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I run a T2 Wild Research deck, and more often than not I don't even use the Research. It just sits there, and I don't really even need to use it. I'm debating whether or not to even include it in the deck.

-Jason

=w=

ubercat
posted September 02, 2001 07:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ubercat Click Here to Email ubercat Send a private message to ubercat Click to send ubercat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
When a Wild Research resolves for me, I consider
it a partial lock. I can fish for any of the
specialized instants I need, at instant speed,
for only one blue/one colorless/one card at
random.

End of turn is insane.

I've played the damn deck so much I know where
to 'hide' the card you want to keep after the
WR tutor. Can't tell you how to do that -
you'll have to figure that out yourself.

ubercat

yip_boy
posted September 03, 2001 06:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yip_boy Click Here to Email yip_boy Send a private message to yip_boy Click to send yip_boy an Instant MessageVisit yip_boy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have to say that your deck IS great... I tested it out with some of my own additions, and it seems to dominate almost any deck... the reason? card-advantage, and counter/burn.
Wild research helps out at getting those prophetic bolts and urza's rages, but thats about it.
-yip_boy

"To those who know me, I am a seed upon the earth from which all is derived. And to those who dont, I am but a speck in the sun that casts a shadow across their face." - ME

NukeMoose
posted September 03, 2001 06:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for NukeMoose Click Here to Email NukeMoose Send a private message to NukeMoose Click to send NukeMoose an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View NukeMoose's Trade Auction or SaleView NukeMoose's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by ubercat:

I've played the damn deck so much I know where
to 'hide' the card you want to keep after the
WR tutor. Can't tell you how to do that -
you'll have to figure that out yourself.

ubercat

It doesn't matter if you can hide it, since it just says discard a card at random. That means the opponent can roll die, choose numbers or whatever. So even if he can't see it, he can randomly pick it.

ubercat
posted September 04, 2001 06:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ubercat Click Here to Email ubercat Send a private message to ubercat Click to send ubercat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NukeMoose:
It doesn't matter if you can hide it, since it just says discard a card at random. That means the opponent can roll die, choose numbers or whatever. So even if he can't see it, he can randomly pick it.

I'm not saying the I actually hide the cards
Mike Long style, I'm saying that there's an
overlooked place that almost 95% never pick
when you present your hand for the removal of
the random card.

Think about it. What position in a hand (that
is presented to you for a random discard) do
you almost NEVER take?

That's where you put the card. Works 19 out
of 20 times - just make it easy for your
opponent and present your hand for the random
discard.

ubercat

posted September 04, 2001 08:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Avatar of Might Click Here to Email Avatar of Might Send a private message to Avatar of Might Click to send Avatar of Might an Instant MessageVisit Avatar of Might's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Please, Ubercat, No more riddles. What is that secret place you are talking abou that you put the card and it never gets chosen?

Because I know that when I have to choose a card at random, each card has a good chance of being chosen no matter where it is located.

-Ron

-Anything that can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible moment.
-All generalizations are false
DNAforensics@yahoo.com
ICQ# 121503916
MOTL Reaches 20000 members! (Screenshot)

ubercat
posted September 04, 2001 08:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ubercat Click Here to Email ubercat Send a private message to ubercat Click to send ubercat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
[snip]

[Edited 2 times, lastly by ubercat on September 05, 2001]

rpitcher
posted September 04, 2001 04:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rpitcher Send a private message to rpitcher Click to send rpitcher an Instant MessageVisit rpitcher's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 

Wow, stats from the top 8's at 4 Grand Prix's and 18 PTQ's fail to reveal a single Wild Research despite all the red/white/blue being played. Wild Research doesn't seem to show up in any of the winning deck lists from Worlds. Are the top players missing the boat? Or do they just know better?

Wild Research is an okay card, and can be strong in some decks in the right situation. It is not broken. The deck used in the tourny report above might have won just the same if the Wild Research were replaced with Zap.

Are you a missing child?

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic | Make Feature Article
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League