Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Articles
  Tournament report (Type 2) Very Exciting!

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Tournament report (Type 2) Very Exciting!
accelblue
posted July 08, 2001 09:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for accelblue Click Here to Email accelblue Send a private message to accelblue Click to send accelblue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hello! This is my first tournament report, so there might be some things i do wrong. I'll just write it like i see the other writers do it.
Yesterday (July 7), there was a Type 2 tournament at the local Hobbytown USA store. I was very excited b/c i would get to use my new Dark Fires variant. My friend and I entered the store half an hour early to register. There were about 15 people total. At 12:40 PM play started. here is my decklist and then the matches.

Dark Fires as played by Matt M.

Creatures (23)
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Blastoderm
3x Flametounge Kavu
3x Spiritmonger
3x Thornscape Battlemage
2x Thunderscape Battlemage

Spells (12)
4x Saproling Burst
4x Fires of Yavimaya
1x Hull Breach
3x Terminate

Lands (25)
7x Forest
5x Mountain
4x Swamp
1x Llanowar Wastes
4x Karplusan Forest
4x Rishadan Port

Sideboard:
4x Kavu Chameleon
4x Chimeric Idol
3x Hull Breach
3x Phyrexian Scuta
1x Obliterate

Match 1 vs Alex playing White Worship (???)
Game One - I won the die roll and decided to play first. I started off with a BoP. Nothing from him. Next turn I played another BoP and an elf. he played a standard flagbearer (OH NO!). I played a FTK killing the flagbearer. He played a story circle black (???). I played a blastoderm and attacked for 4 with FTK. He played a Serra Angel, and i terminated it. i played a fires and another derm, and just beat him down from there.
Game Two - Classic Fires annihalation. First turn bop, second turn fires, 3rd turn FTK killing flagbearer, attack with FTK. 4th turn burst for 12 with FTK. Hes at zero
1/0 2/0

Match 2 vs. David playing IBC Zombies
Game 1 - He won die roll and decided to play first. He drops a swamp and says "go". I play a BoP. He plays a shivan zombie. Next turn. play a port and another BoP. He cant play anything b/c of my port. I play a spiritmonger and its all over. the monger gets up to 12/12
Game 2 - He drops a maggot carrier first turn. I play elf. second turn he plays nightscape familiar. i play nothing. he plays lord of the undead. things not looking good. But wait! i draw a terminate and pop the lord. phew. he plays nothing. I finally draw my fires and play it. he plays another maggot carrier. i play burst he blocks them all and takes nothing he cant regenerate familiar (i dont remember why not). next turn i play another burst and he takes 21.
2/0 4/0

Match 3 vs Dan playing Nether-Go
Game 1 - I win die roll and decide to play first. I risk a green mana-less hand due to 2 mongers and 2 bursts. big mistake. i get NO green mana the whole game as i sit there watching him beat me with a 2/2. he finally whips out a Mahamoti and pounds me with it for the kill.
Game 2 - His turn to get worked. nothing much to be said about this one. twin spiritmongers absolutely pulverize him.
Game 3 - He counters my fires, spiritmonger, 2 bursts, 2 elves, and terminate, and all the while a thrashing wumpuss (yes, a wumpuss in nether-go, it was hard for me to beleive too) kills me over 7 turns.
2/1 5/2

Match 4 vs Steve playing B/W/R control
Game 1 - He goes first. I play a BoP. Nobody plays anything on 2 turns. BoP is vindicated. i dont get a land but draw an elf and play it. IT is vindicated. i get my fourth land and play a blasoderm. nothing he can do. next turn brings another blastoderm. he has no hope of survival.
Game 2 - He goes first. He knocks me down to 8 with a blazing specter (ritual gets it out 2nd turn) i get him down to 12 with un-kicked thornscape battlemage. Down comes the burst. i think i will win, but nooooo.. he disenchants it. next turn i play spiritmonger. he stops attacking with that stupid specter. i attack with spiritmonger, he blocks. next turn, spiritmonger deals him 7. Hes at 5. He plays unkicked desolation angel (foil ). He blocks one more time before his demise.
3/1 7/2

Semifinals vs. Jeff playing CounterRebels
Game 1 - I go first. i terminate 2 lin sivvis and FTK a sky marshall. no counters. i finish him off with two bursts.
Game 2 - He goes first. He gets chain of rebels going but sivvi is terminated. i play 2 kavu chameleons (sideboarded in 4) and he chump-blocks like nobody's business until they kill him.
4/1 9/2

Finals vs.....Dan playing nether-go (Hooray!)
Game 1 - i go first. 3rd turn spiritmonger slips beneath counters. i keep attacking with him to get him to 10/10 (with nether spirit chump blocking), with a terminate and an FTk in hand. After four attacks, the spiritmonger is finally at 10/10. I terminate the nether spirit and attack for 10. the spirit comes back. he fact or fictions. all lands (lol). i FTK the spirit next turn and attack for another 10.
Game 2 - he goes first. He gets me down to one with a spirit and mahamoti (this took about 12 turns, so i've got plenty of mana). I spend all 12 mana that i have (birds/elves countered) on terminating the mahamoti (just drew terminate) and playing two chameleons. I hit him for four at a time for 5 consecutive turns. i win

Final record - 5/1 11/2

I won a box of apoc. i got some awesome stuff it in. if youd like to see/trade go to my have/want list.

Props:
1) to the moron who gave me a spiritmonger for a mishra's helix and an urza's blueprints.
2) to Dan for building an awesome nether-go deck, despite his odd selection of creature's.
3) to Jason, whom i didn't play, for buying me lunch at Cousin's.

Slops
1) to my friend, Alex, for going 0/3 and dropping out.
2) to Jason, for going 0/3 with a great fires deck
3) to me, for forgetting my other trade binder.

so what do you think of my first tournament report

[Edited 1 times, lastly by accelblue on July 08, 2001]

stuck in 99
posted July 08, 2001 06:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stuck in 99 Click Here to Email stuck in 99 Send a private message to stuck in 99 Click to send stuck in 99 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Nice article.

Mr. Ruboonia
posted July 08, 2001 06:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Ruboonia Click Here to Email Mr. Ruboonia Send a private message to Mr. Ruboonia Click to send Mr. Ruboonia an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want ListView Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want List
i love tournament reports! so exciting

TheWestWing
Banned
posted July 09, 2001 10:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheWestWing Click Here to Email TheWestWing Send a private message to TheWestWing Click to send TheWestWing an Instant MessageVisit TheWestWing's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The Wumpus was probably sideboarded vs. Fires, Orbosition, and Rebel.

That's how I got the whole nation to embrace me!"

LlanowarDeath
posted July 09, 2001 11:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LlanowarDeath Click Here to Email LlanowarDeath Send a private message to LlanowarDeath Click to send LlanowarDeath an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Your deck is GREAT!

but.why using Scuta as your SB??

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LlanowarDeath on July 09, 2001]

accelblue
posted July 09, 2001 07:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for accelblue Click Here to Email accelblue Send a private message to accelblue Click to send accelblue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
i find scutas to be good in mirror matches because they give you more 5/5's by the 3rd/4th turn to deal with opponents 'derms

inca911
Administrator
posted July 10, 2001 09:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for inca911 Click Here to Email inca911 Send a private message to inca911 Click to send inca911 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Where was the tournament? You list your location as "USA" in your profile, but I'd like to know more specifically where in the US you are playing. I find that there are store to store differences in the same area and regional differences also exist in the decks people use. LMK!

Wanted Summer Magic cards (finder's fee offered): armageddon clock, blessing, goblin king, helm of chatzuk, millstone, mishras war machine, reverse damage, volcanic island (and maybe others you know of or can find)! I also want any other ultra-rares(e.g. Splendid Genesis)

Fooath
posted July 10, 2001 12:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Fooath Click Here to Email Fooath Send a private message to Fooath Click to send Fooath an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
That seems strange. All I really see is "I get birds, fires, monger" and "opponent drops lands until third turn". Just seems rather odd to me...

LlanowarDeath
posted July 10, 2001 01:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LlanowarDeath Click Here to Email LlanowarDeath Send a private message to LlanowarDeath Click to send LlanowarDeath an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks for answer me

But.
I have one more question

How can your deck beat T2 Draw go?
No boil in you SB??
(I hate draw go very much...counter counter and counte

and why don't use Shivan Wurm instead of Spiritmonger??
(which one is better?
My personal choise is Wurm because it have combo with the gathering creatures.)

[Edited 2 times, lastly by LlanowarDeath on July 10, 2001]

accelblue
posted July 11, 2001 08:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for accelblue Click Here to Email accelblue Send a private message to accelblue Click to send accelblue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
tournament in brookfield, WI

SauronDL69
Banned
posted July 11, 2001 12:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SauronDL69 Click Here to Email SauronDL69 Click to send SauronDL69 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
how do you get the spiritmonger out on turn 3?

#6 top refs in Florida

The Magic Dude
posted July 11, 2001 02:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for The Magic Dude Click Here to Email The Magic Dude Click to send The Magic Dude an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SauronDL69:
how do you get the spiritmonger out on turn 3?

By using at least 3 lands and 2 elves and/or BoPs.

Btw, nice report.
I always enjoy reading them.

*The Magic Dude*
e-mail: magic_styler@hotmail.com
ICQ #: 91433591

SauronDL69
Banned
posted July 11, 2001 04:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SauronDL69 Click Here to Email SauronDL69 Click to send SauronDL69 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Magic Dude:
By using at least 3 lands and 2 elves and/or BoPs.

yeah i guess that would do it

#6 top refs in Florida

accelblue
posted July 13, 2001 08:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for accelblue Click Here to Email accelblue Click to send accelblue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
up

posted July 13, 2001 11:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Avatar of Might Click Here to Email Avatar of Might Send a private message to Avatar of Might Click to send Avatar of Might an Instant MessageVisit Avatar of Might's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by accelblue:
up

please dont up your aritcles, read the posting rules for this forum

-If something can go wrong, it will go wrong, and always at the worst possible moment.
MY EBAY AUCTIONS

Undeadhq@yahoo.com
ICQ# 121503916

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Avatar of Might on July 13, 2001]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic | Make Feature Article
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League