Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  MTG an investment or a game? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   MTG an investment or a game?
mm1983
posted February 18, 2016 06:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
At what point in collecting does MTG stop becoming a game and start becoming an investment? Let's face it nobody buys Russian, Korean, or Japanese foils of cards because they want to play them. People buy them because they see future value in the cards and hold onto them as an "investment". Those who play the game for what it is will just buy the cheapest copy of a card. This game over the years has really become a collectors game for anything older than modern format and those of us who have older cards choose to sit on them for ages therefore not allowing P9, duals, and other reserved list cards be reintroduced into the market. Eternal masters won't do anything for the legacy format if there is none or little tournament support for legacy.

Pail42
posted February 18, 2016 08:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have seen plenty of people (annoyingly) playing foreign language foils in standard. I have an Italian Goblin Wizard (that I got years ago) in my goblin EDH deck because my English copy is beat to hell. I apologize every time I play it, but the name is fun to say.

If you are the type that seeks these out to play with strangers; shame on you. I suspect that 50% of the people doing this are trying to purposely confuse their opponents.

If you are the type that "invests" in these; good luck.

noquarter
posted February 18, 2016 09:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for noquarter Click Here to Email noquarter Send a private message to noquarter Click to send noquarter an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It is still just a game. I guess I might be one of those annoying people that plays with foreign foils in Standard sometimes. Usually I do it because I like the deck and plan on playing it for the life it is in standard. The card pool is small enough that I don't feel bad at all playing a foreign card, the picture is the same so most people will probably know the card anyway. If not, we can just look it up for them.

I'm really a fan of Chinese foils. I learned Chinese and like getting a little bit of extra 'study' in while I enjoy my hobby. Some cards I've gotten in Japanese I got while I was in Japan, others I got while trying to study Japanese (there is some overlap with Chinese, so I would like to learn some). Romance language cards I'be gotten because they are usually cheaper than English, so why not. If they ever print cards in Urdu or Hindi, I would get those as well, since I learned Urdu and would like to get the alphabet down for Hindi so I can read that as well.

These are never an 'investment' for me since I'm really bad about selling. I still have almost all the pieces of the standard decks I've played since 2010 or so. I've also seen plenty of my cards go up in value and drop with a reprint. Can't get upset anymore, I just assume all of my cards are worthless and any money I spend on this hobby is just lost. If at somepoint I do get my money back, great, if not, well I had fun.

LandDestroyer
posted February 18, 2016 09:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
Um...
I play my black border power, unlimited/fbb duals over my unlimited power and revised duals.
I play my foreign foil torment grim lavamancers over my non-foils (and i have playsets of non foils in all 11 languages I think at this point).
I just like to play nice versions of things even if i dont get nm.

chaos021
posted February 18, 2016 09:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
Playing stuff I build and tinker with is largely why I still play Standard, and Modern allows me to play the decks I always love. Because of my deck building craze, I sometimes just sit on other cards just because I may need them. That said, I definitely have too much money tied up in cards. Even so, like you said, I'm a player, which means I'm generally looking for the cheapest copy of a card I can find unless the art is fugly. Art matters, yo.

Sale Thread

[Edited 1 times, lastly by chaos021 on February 18, 2016]

caquaa
posted February 19, 2016 12:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
Let's face it nobody buys Russian, Korean, or Japanese foils of cards because they want to play them.

Completely wrong. I know because I play with these cards and specifically hunt down the ones I do play with. ANyone who posts in the pimp threads on various forums isn't posting their pile of value, they're posting their efforts at a "complete" deck or something similar.

wayne
posted February 19, 2016 12:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
At what point in collecting does MTG stop becoming a game and start becoming an investment? Let's face it nobody buys Russian, Korean, or Japanese foils of cards because they want to play them. People buy them because they see future value in the cards and hold onto them as an "investment".

Wrong, people buy them because they want to "pimp" their decks.

paragondave
posted February 19, 2016 02:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
why can't we just...both.

hilikuS
posted February 19, 2016 08:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have found that while a player and an investor may be two different people, the player ends up being a good investor most of the time by accident.

Your player just wants cards for his decks, and doesn't look at the possible growth of the things he/she buys. But inherently, they'll buy things most of the time that are playable. So decks will just grow in value over time. Especially for EDH players. To me, this is proof that the game is predominately filled with players first, and that the investors have more of a presence just because they are more vocal/public about what they do.

Most of my friends around here quit the game, sold out, and bought a bunch of board games. They said the game "is too expensive". I mean, it's not my money, so whatever, I don't argue but that simply isn't true.

$900 later, they have a nice stack of games, but I just plop down 3 Revised Volcanic Islands that I paid like $50 for in response. Not trying to brag here, but that's just what has happened in Magic.

To me Magic has become an investment, but I think to the vast majority it is a game that just happens to be a good investment.

Nicksmagic
posted February 19, 2016 08:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nicksmagic Click Here to Email Nicksmagic Send a private message to Nicksmagic Click to send Nicksmagic an Instant MessageVisit Nicksmagic's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I thought I would chime in here because this community convinced me to finish up the "value" side of my collection about 2 years ago.

I made a post complaining about the absurd price of ABU cards and how, for the most part, their price is based off of investments and a "hot potato" kind of speculating.

Long story short, every time I go to play with some of those cards, I get the feeling that I simply shouldn't. They are worth just too much cash. The nostalgia "man I'm so glad to slam this card" is strongly tempered by "at what point is magic an investment and not a game?"

Every time I want to sell out and cash in on that investment, the other side of me says "you'll never get another chance to own this card". The idea that some of these cards are simply so rare that they command a high price tag to slam them on the kitchen table is one that really feels unique to MTG and is what drives the community so much. I don't think the game would survive if it was just a game like poker.

slurpee
posted February 19, 2016 09:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
I would tell you need both, but I would also agree with some of the above posts that the investor is a different person then a player.

For a player, Players will only pay for something that has perceived value for their money. If you spend 3-4 for a pack you want the chance to open something worth a lot more. If everything you opened was going to be worth less then 3-4 no one would buy the cards regardless how well they played the game.

For an investor/hobbiest, I see it this way. When I get cards in I simply just look and see what they sell for. I don't keep any for myself as a squirreled away stash. I prefer to play with your deck and cards because I don't want to even put the time or hold the cards back from my personal collection. Then you have those that will hold cards that they hope to increase in value. Right now it appears there is a shift, people are dumping cards because of eternal masters that are not on the reserve list. Then picking up ones that are, since the announcement, City of traitors, mox diamond, lion's eye diamond have gone way up and I am sure others are on the way. It is because investors are divesting themselves of potential losses and holding onto cards that are sure things to not be reprinted.

You do away with the reserve list and there would be a flood of long time collectors and investors who would sell.

hilikuS
posted February 19, 2016 10:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by slurpee:

You do away with the reserve list and there would be a flood of long time collectors and investors who would sell.

A market crash.

Sovarius
posted February 19, 2016 11:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Let's face it nobody buys Russian, Korean, or Japanese foils of cards because they want to play them. People buy them because they see future value in the cards and hold onto them as an "investment". Those who play the game for what it is will just buy the cheapest copy of a card.

The subculture of people who enjoy rare foreign foils very much includes people who play these cards.
Some things are worth collecting because of their rarity. There are so incredibly few RU and KO foil Jace, the Mindsculptor.

Those who play the game for what it is still buy rarer version of cards. Even standard-only playable foils can be double the nonfoil price, and those just crash after rotation anyway. If what you said is totally true, this would not be the case.

The game is very much worth investing in and the people do it well are better off here than in stocks or gold.

I do the spec thing and the investment thing. I don't really keep anything that is going to burn me hard, so the collection is always gaining value. Doing some obvious specs on the side pays entry fees and some decks.

The top 1% of investments are damaging to the game in a way. A lot of the value in power comes from hoarding, in my opinion, so it's like a circle jerk of increasing value more rapidly than there actually new players trying to get into vintage or collecting the p9 to just have. But, as the game gets larger, there WILL be people move into old formats.

quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:
I have seen plenty of people (annoyingly) playing foreign language foils in standard.

I don't know why anyone would do that to themselves.

quote:
If you are the type that seeks these out to play with strangers; shame on you.

In standard or with random unknown jank, i can't see why you'd do that. But eternal staples are easy to recognize and if you're playing against people your caliber they will know.

quote:
I suspect that 50% of the people doing this are trying to purposely confuse their opponents.

Maybe if you play against scrubs in standard, that works. Those would be bad people and i would call a judge if could support a claim they were being deceptive in some way. or, make them give me the english name of each so they could be looked up every couple phases, every attack, every time i play removal...

quote:
If you are the type that "invests" in these; good luck.

Why do you sound so bitter and sour about it though? People do this all the time and make money, they don't need your sarcastic 'good luck'.

Pail42
posted February 19, 2016 11:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
sarcasm was on the term "investment" not on wishing luck. Nobody is going to get rich off magic cards the way you could off a good stock investment.

slurpee
posted February 19, 2016 11:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
Magic is like stock. If do a ton of research you can be better then average.

Just like with stocks and this eternal format if you have insider info you can make more. The vendors who know what is in eternal are already lowering or not buying certain cards and selling their stock out. We as a player don't know and think we are getting a heck of deal....

mm1983
posted February 19, 2016 11:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
When it comes to collecting high end stuff I stop with English foil with few exceptions to German and French foil and FBB duals as there are obviously no foil versions of duals and FBB is just cool to have for commander play. Power 9 is just way too expensive now but I would buy into Unlimited power for the right price.

Jubert39
posted February 19, 2016 12:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jubert39 Click Here to Email Jubert39 Send a private message to Jubert39 Click to send Jubert39 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Jubert39's Have/Want ListView Jubert39's Have/Want List
I do both. I do invest in this game. I have some Graded alpha and beta power. Thats the investor/collector in me.

I also am building an oldschool 9394 format deck. There for I am collecting staples from UNL. As long as its sleeve playable I will try to get it so I can play.

I think a lot of ppl do both. For me, as much as I love the game, I am getting older and have a full time career, so playing games are hard to do with the tight schedule i have. Thats where collector me can still enjoy Magic.

hilikuS
posted February 19, 2016 12:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
sarcasm was on the term "investment" not on wishing luck. Nobody is going to get rich off magic cards the way you could off a good stock investment.

Honestly, I find it to be a better use of my money than stocks. I know the cards (stocks), and I know the game better than I'll ever know a given company or Wall Street as a whole. It costs me more work, and time, but I get more consistent gains too.

I only have to worry about one corporation manipulating my money instead of any number of them, and any number of billionaires who control Wall Street anyway.

CoupDeGrace
posted February 19, 2016 01:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

I prefer financial market than MTG in the long term. In fact, I am currently at financial market(Stock/FX/Commodities).

For MTG wise, I liquidated most of the stuff and never regret about it.

gaeacradle
posted February 20, 2016 06:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Once I got back into the game in 2008 after a 6-year hiatus, I approached it as an investment since. Maybe not right away, but at least within the year. It's because I came to the realization of there are many people like me, people who are finally in the position in their life that can finally afford the "expensive" cards that they couldn't back when they were younger.

So I bought these cards, knowing that they will rise in the future, and if I do it correctly, it won't actually cost me anything. And so far, so good. I think I need to sell another 4K or 5K and I'll break even and everything else is just extra. And the best part is that I do have plans to sell these off slowly to help me pay off my condo in the next 5-6 years.

But that doesn't mean I'm not a player either. I have traveled to many tournaments just to play Magic. Eternal Weekend last year was one of the funnest times that I have playing Magic (terribly too I might add). I will at least go to Eternal Magic and the US Legacy GP every year if life permits.

flam flawless
posted February 20, 2016 09:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flam flawless Click Here to Email flam flawless Send a private message to flam flawless Click to send flam flawless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View flam flawless's Have/Want ListView flam flawless's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
Honestly, I find it to be a better use of my money than stocks. I know the cards (stocks), and I know the game better than I'll ever know a given company or Wall Street as a whole. It costs me more work, and time, but I get more consistent gains too.

I only have to worry about one corporation manipulating my money instead of any number of them, and any number of billionaires who control Wall Street anyway.

+1.

Except the difference with the magic players that go to events and myself is that they have a much more keen eye on which cards will go up because how they did at the local FNM last week.

It's exactly what was said here. People that's played the game since the early years have deeper pockets now that they're older and can afford to buy out random card at $2 each in speculation. There is definitely a bunch more stock traders now than there was back 10 years ago that are there primarily to manipulate the market, but the game does need both to continue to thrive.

Nicksmagic
posted February 20, 2016 02:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nicksmagic Click Here to Email Nicksmagic Send a private message to Nicksmagic Click to send Nicksmagic an Instant MessageVisit Nicksmagic's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flam flawless:
+1.

Except the difference with the magic players that go to events and myself is that they have a much more keen eye on which cards will go up because how they did at the local FNM last week.

It's exactly what was said here. People that's played the game since the early years have deeper pockets now that they're older and can afford to buy out random card at $2 each in speculation. There is definitely a bunch more stock traders now than there was back 10 years ago that are there primarily to manipulate the market, but the game does need both to continue to thrive.

Are you saying that Magic needs people to buy out $2 cards and spike them for the game to thrive? Care to elaborate? I see this as cannibalistic and not at all healthy for the game.

aethertech
posted February 20, 2016 03:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View aethertech's Have/Want ListView aethertech's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Nicksmagic:
Are you saying that Magic needs people to buy out $2 cards and spike them for the game to thrive? Care to elaborate? I see this as cannibalistic and not at all healthy for the game.

I pretty much agree.

A $2 is worth $2, because that is the value related to its playability. Spiking it up to $10 only serves one purpose, and for one group - speculators/buy-outers.

It's not a memory correction in price, its really just an ******* making the game even more difficult to get into.

flam flawless
posted February 20, 2016 03:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flam flawless Click Here to Email flam flawless Send a private message to flam flawless Click to send flam flawless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View flam flawless's Have/Want ListView flam flawless's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Nicksmagic:

Yeah, I guess that's kinda what I was saying. We need the deep pocketed buyers to still buy up cards. Yeah, there'll always be a buyout on stuff anymore because nobody wants to miss the boat on the next big thing. And I don't necessarily condone the notion of it, but it IS a thing. If it's not you it's someone else. Just whoever has the inside info first wins I guess. Cards will spike. It's inevitable. But it's when people stop buying cards to play in events is when it dies.

Lemme ask you, have you ever got an auction off ebay for a bunch less and felt glad you saved a bunch of money on a card that apparently people weren't paying attention on? Kinda the same thing just on a much smaller scale.

When I played competitively, netdecking wasn't a thing like it is now. Seems like nobody knows how to build a deck on their own anymore. That's imo why the spikes happen. Some pro sat down and built a meta destroyer and all the sheep go ZOMG!! That's great! I gotta get a playset now!!! ZOMG!! The price quadrupled!!! Damn them buyouts!!!

Edit - I do understand how it can be frustrating to see a card like wall of omens go from nothing practically to ~$8 as cannabalistic. It's absurd to me too...but realistically, there's TONS of other cards/decks you can assemble and run in and bash.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by flam flawless on February 20, 2016]

Nicksmagic
posted February 20, 2016 11:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nicksmagic Click Here to Email Nicksmagic Send a private message to Nicksmagic Click to send Nicksmagic an Instant MessageVisit Nicksmagic's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flam flawless:
Yeah, I guess that's kinda what I was saying. We need the deep pocketed buyers to still buy up cards. Yeah, there'll always be a buyout on stuff anymore because nobody wants to miss the boat on the next big thing. And I don't necessarily condone the notion of it, but it IS a thing. If it's not you it's someone else. Just whoever has the inside info first wins I guess. Cards will spike. It's inevitable. But it's when people stop buying cards to play in events is when it dies.

Lemme ask you, have you ever got an auction off ebay for a bunch less and felt glad you saved a bunch of money on a card that apparently people weren't paying attention on? Kinda the same thing just on a much smaller scale.

When I played competitively, netdecking wasn't a thing like it is now. Seems like nobody knows how to build a deck on their own anymore. That's imo why the spikes happen. Some pro sat down and built a meta destroyer and all the sheep go ZOMG!! That's great! I gotta get a playset now!!! ZOMG!! The price quadrupled!!! Damn them buyouts!!!

Edit - I do understand how it can be frustrating to see a card like wall of omens go from nothing practically to ~$8 as cannabalistic. It's absurd to me too...but realistically, there's TONS of other cards/decks you can assemble and run in and bash.

For start, winning a cheap auction is not related to purposely buying out $2 cards. I agree with you about the reason cards are spiking in price these days...most of them anyway. It's called supply and demand. But specifically targeting cards for buyouts in your own hobby is simply cannibalistic and amoral (as cannibalism is).

Justifying it because others will do it doesn't cut it for me. Others do all kinds of things to make money which I along with most people won't do; because it is wrong to do so. Saying it happens and saying that it is necessary for the health of the game are totally separate.

All of us who started magic 20 or so years ago, probably as recently as 10 years ago, were not being exploited by our own player base. That's a new thing. And one that I find deplorable. Hey you wanna mess with me because I collect Alpha or play old school? Fine, but you pretty much can't have fun at FNM with casual decks anymore because of the competitive environment that WOTC fosters with GP/PT and all of the hype. They design and test sets specifically to tier them out and put chase cards that are rare specifically to guarantee secondary value. Compare the value of Chronicles to MM2 or Mirage to BFZ.

The way magic functions as a community is so much different now than it was 10 years ago that being a player in this game now has extreme up front costs. So much so that specifically going out of your way to make a buck off of these guys just seems totally immature (at the least) and downright antisocial (at the extreme).

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League