Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  CUBE idea. New format for me.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   CUBE idea. New format for me.
Jubert39
posted February 09, 2015 05:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jubert39 Click Here to Email Jubert39 Send a private message to Jubert39 Click to send Jubert39 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Jubert39's Have/Want ListView Jubert39's Have/Want List
After contemplating for a long time about building a cube, I was wondering what you guys would think. I want it to be just vintage.
My idea was to buy the following
1 complete set of Collectors edition.
1 complete set of revised edition.
and
1 extra copy of each common NOT including the ones from the sets.

This would roughly mean (in the pool)
1x of each power 9 (from the collectors set)
2x of each dual land (from collectors and revised)
2x of most of the rares (from collectors and every rare reprinted in revised)
2x of each uncommon
3x of each common

Roughly 800 card count

Is this ratio too off?

thror
posted February 09, 2015 07:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
800 cards is too many for a cube imo. if you have a full 8 players, cracking 3 packs each, that's 45x8 = 360 available cards. you have more than twice that. at this point, you'll see less than half the power, ~1 of each rare/unc, and 1.4 of each of the commons. not to mention how terrible a lot of these cards are to start with. if you do the 800 card cube like this, for an 8 man draft, i would expect about 3 players to end up with 17 playables or less, because they saw 4 decent cards per pack and then a ton of healing salve/benalish hero/blue blast/CoP garbage.

<crypticfreak1> jazaray got ahold of me. he also had a hard time finding the email.
<Jazaray> She...

Aznopium
posted February 10, 2015 06:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
there would be too much variance in whoever gets to draft power and people just seeing the crap c/u's from those sets

if you want to even it out, take out the power & sol ring and maybe demonic tutor and it should be ok

paragondave
posted February 10, 2015 11:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Aznopium:
there would be too much variance in whoever gets to draft power and people just seeing the crap c/u's from those sets

if you want to even it out, take out the power & sol ring and maybe demonic tutor and it should be ok

this.

Volcanon
posted February 11, 2015 01:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aznopium:

In a limited format consisting of Revised and Beta none of the power is particularly unfair. A turn 1 mox does not necessarily mean much when nearly every creature that's even kind of good costs 5 or 6. These are sloooooow formats barring something like dark rit - hippie on turn 1 or something.

Sol Ring is, though, broken in half times two.

The problem with these formats is that there's a much larger percentage of playable creatures in red and green. You're going to end up with everybody playing those colors just to make sure they have enough creatures.

Then again just like the Ye Olde Days, the best card is going to be Shivan Dragon, followed by anything big that flies and clockwork beast.

Demonic Tutor is nowhere near as strong as many other powerful cards in these sets.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Volcanon on February 11, 2015]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League