Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Guessing how many cards are printed for each set

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Guessing how many cards are printed for each set
ardeay
posted January 17, 2015 03:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I want to attempt to guess the number of cards printed for each set. Below is my attempt, the totals are guesstimates. I'd love your feedback or ideas.

Total number of stores
LGS: 1000
Retail stores: 10,000
Major Game Shops: 10

Avg. number of boxes purchased per set
LGS: 18
Retail: 4 (in blisters)
Major Game Shops: 1000

18,000 + 40,000 + 10,000 = 68,000 boxes

68000 * 36 * 15 = 36,720,000 cards printed of every set

From there we can use odds and raritys to find individual numbers for each card.

What do you think of that logic, be honest thanks

thror
posted January 17, 2015 04:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
i think your numbers are way, Way, WAY low.

psyduck_dude12
posted January 17, 2015 05:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psyduck_dude12 Click Here to Email psyduck_dude12 Send a private message to psyduck_dude12 Click to send psyduck_dude12 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This is actually easier to reverse engineer. Take wizards revenue (estimates) divide the number of the sets and calc out what they sell a box for to find out the general orbit run size

dwiz
posted January 17, 2015 10:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by ardeay:
I want to attempt to guess the number of cards printed for each set. Below is my attempt, the totals are guesstimates. I'd love your feedback or ideas.

Total number of stores
LGS: 1000
Retail stores: 10,000
Major Game Shops: 10

Avg. number of boxes purchased per set
LGS: 18
Retail: 4 (in blisters)
Major Game Shops: 1000

18,000 + 40,000 + 10,000 = 68,000 boxes

68000 * 36 * 15 = 36,720,000 cards printed of every set

From there we can use odds and raritys to find individual numbers for each card.

What do you think of that logic, be honest thanks

Your numbers are phenominally low. There are probably 50 people on MOTL that aren't LGS that buy 20 boxes per set. I'd multiply all your figures by 5x and even then it wouldn't be anything near scientfific.

dfitzg88
posted January 18, 2015 01:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by psyduck_dude12:
This is actually easier to reverse engineer. Take wizards revenue (estimates) divide the number of the sets and calc out what they sell a box for to find out the general orbit run size

Wizards as a division of Hasbro is reported on its financial as a part of its Games Division, with a revenue of 1,300,000,000 in 2013. Other brands in its game division include Monopoly and Star Wars. Filtering out to which piece of that is Wizards is quite difficult.

Once you do, you have to figure out what piece of the revenue is MTGO and which piece is paper. It's hard to determine what portion of the total revenue is attributed to paper magic.

Then we don't know what piece of that dollar amount is attributable to the standard-legal prints as opposed to Duel Decks, Masters sets, etc.

$1,300,000,000 Revenue for Games Division 2013
$780,000,000 Assuming 60% of Revenue is Wizards
$460,000,000 Assuming 60% of Wizards Revenue is Paper Magic
$280,000,000 Assuming 60% of Paper Revenue is Standard Sets
$70,000,000 Assuming 4 Sets a Year

I'm not sure what Wizards charges its distributors per box, but it's gotta be around 60-70?

1,000,000 boxes of each set.

My numbers are probably way off, I'm sure, but it's a good starting point for someone to use to figure out this problem.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by dfitzg88 on January 18, 2015]

thror
posted January 18, 2015 01:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
pretty sure boxes leave wotc hands for less than 70, considering i can buy boxes for 80-90 when they first come out. would expect 45-55 personally.

dfitzg88
posted January 18, 2015 01:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thror:
pretty sure boxes leave wotc hands for less than 70, considering i can buy boxes for 80-90 when they first come out. would expect 45-55 personally.

Assuming any of the other numbers are even remotely reasonable, that puts it at about 1.5 million boxes of each set printed globally.

800M total cards
----------------
6M mythics
48M rares
750M Common/Uncommon cards

For RTR, as an example
-53 unique rares (900,000 of each rare printed)
-15 unique mythics (400,000 of each mythic printed)

That would mean that there are about 200,000 playsets of each shockland from RTR printings floating around.

*This analysis doesnt take into account the differences in print runs of each of the sets during the course of the year. Why? because the numbers are too rough anyway to even bother.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by dfitzg88 on January 18, 2015]

Vegas10
posted January 18, 2015 07:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
This is beyond pointless, unless someone somehow has some actual real data to base this off of otherwise this is just a bunch of wild and completely useless guessing.

dfitzg88
posted January 18, 2015 07:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas10:
This is beyond pointless, unless someone somehow has some actual real data to base this off of otherwise this is just a bunch of wild and completely useless guessing.

So then go do something else

ardeay
posted January 18, 2015 09:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ardeay Send a private message to ardeay Click to send ardeay an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Source for hasboro financial data: http://investor.hasbro.com/results.cfm

I haven't found MTG specific numbers (I'm searching on my phone), but these are real.

Even if we come up with a ball park number, we can estimate the market share of specific cards, then calculate what the secondary market is worth.

Say there is 900,000 breeding pools at $10

$9MM in breeding pools exist in the secondary market. Then breeding pool drops 3 bucks and millions of dollars shift in the seconday market.

See where I'm going?

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League