Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Discussion: What's the best 'or best offer' you've ever completed on eBay?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Discussion: What's the best 'or best offer' you've ever completed on eBay?
LandDestroyer
posted December 10, 2014 02:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
I know some sellers use the 'best offer' option but then never accept anything below the listed price. I also know some people have gotten substantial discounts.

What are your best stories?

Pail42
posted December 10, 2014 03:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Nobody has ever accepted my offer.

Honestly, if you aren't going to accept an offer of $X then start the auction above $X you cheapskate.

slurpee
posted December 10, 2014 03:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
I find that I only use them on mtg cards when I am looking for multiples of cards. I usually just state the lowest auction price and they accept it. I don't try for 10% or more off of the lowest price, why would they accept it?

LandDestroyer
posted December 10, 2014 03:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:
Nobody has ever accepted my offer.

Honestly, if you aren't going to accept an offer of $X then start the auction above $X you cheapskate.

The fact that reserve auctions exists drives me insane and I never bid on them. I'm like 'just make your reserve your minimum bid you piece of @#$Q'. Been doing ebay since 2001 and by 2003 I was like 'never bidding on a reserve auction every again'.

quote:
Originally posted by slurpee:
I find that I only use them on mtg cards when I am looking for multiples of cards. I usually just state the lowest auction price and they accept it. I don't try for 10% or more off of the lowest price, why would they accept it?

If they've had the auction there for a while sometimes they accept. Like I said, I know people who've gotten great deals and heard about them on motl before. But some sellers, like Dan Bock, I've never had success even getting a few cents off.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LandDestroyer on December 10, 2014]

slurpee
posted December 10, 2014 03:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
I can with Dan on cards less then 5.00, but I try not to bid on his stuff, because he lists everything as Excellent condition. Which turns out to be everything that is not pack fresh to bent corners...

On stuff greater then 5.00, not to often will he accept a best offer, as he will sit on it for as long as he wants because I think he knows that he has a very large collection and therefore people will buy from him when they are looking for multiples of a card.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by slurpee on December 10, 2014]

Volcanon
posted December 10, 2014 05:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I put up a card at $150 with offers that was probably worth $150. The best offer was $30. I counteroffered with $149.99 but they didn't take it.

aethertech
posted December 10, 2014 07:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View aethertech's Have/Want ListView aethertech's Have/Want List
Just a note, as this is a subject [Dan Bock], I have some real world experience with.

You will almost NEVER get a discount from him - unless he actually likes you in real life; or you've brought a substantial amount of product from him, or his brick and motor store(s)?

Also, he's one of the primary reasons Damnation is a $35-40 card, instead of $15-20 - when he [Dan Bock] went and brought a rather large number of the card; and he intends to sit on his investment for a bit.

Source - talked to him, and his employees.

LandDestroyer
posted December 10, 2014 08:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by aethertech:
Just a note, as this is a subject [Dan Bock], I have some real world experience with.

You will almost NEVER get a discount from him - unless he actually likes you in real life; or you've brought a substantial amount of product from him, or his brick and motor store(s)?

Also, he's one of the primary reasons Damnation is a $35-40 card, instead of $15-20 - when he [Dan Bock] went and brought a rather large number of the card; and he intends to sit on his investment for a bit.

Source - talked to him, and his employees.

I've heard that from others as well. I hope damnation gets printed as a rare in mma 2015.

aethertech
posted December 10, 2014 08:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View aethertech's Have/Want ListView aethertech's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
I've heard that from others as well. I hope damnation gets printed as a rare in mma 2015.

Most likely, that seems to be the case at this point. It doesn't quite fit into the Khans block; and WotC seems to be straying away from the '4-mana wrath always in standard,' shpeil that they had a few years ago.

The other option; which was CMDR 2014 product gave us...junk for Wraths; and I doubt Damnation in the last Core Set is a good idea. But MMA2 seems like a very likely contender this time around; since MMA didn't have a "destroy all creatures" wrath.

LandDestroyer
posted December 11, 2014 06:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by aethertech:
Most likely, that seems to be the case at this point. It doesn't quite fit into the Khans block; and WotC seems to be straying away from the '4-mana wrath always in standard,' shpeil that they had a few years ago.

The other option; which was CMDR 2014 product gave us...junk for Wraths; and I doubt Damnation in the last Core Set is a good idea. But MMA2 seems like a very likely contender this time around; since MMA didn't have a "destroy all creatures" wrath.

Ya, the fact that damnation was the 4 mana wrath in the mono black commander product was annoying enough. if it isn't in mma2 I'll scream.

Nicksmagic
posted December 11, 2014 06:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nicksmagic Click Here to Email Nicksmagic Send a private message to Nicksmagic Click to send Nicksmagic an Instant MessageVisit Nicksmagic's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I offered $150 on an item listed at $300 and the seller accepted.

I think I told this one before, but my favorite one so far was when a seller named "magiccardsneverdevalue" had a set of foil 7th Lord of Atlantis for sale. He wanted $280 but I offered him $240 which was a good rate. He declined of course, but a week later sent me a message saying he was strapped for cash and would accept my offer. I passed because of the irony of the situation.

LandDestroyer
posted December 11, 2014 07:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Nicksmagic:
I offered $150 on an item listed at $300 and the seller accepted.

I think I told this one before, but my favorite one so far was when a seller named "magiccardsneverdevalue" had a set of foil 7th Lord of Atlantis for sale. He wanted $280 but I offered him $240 which was a good rate. He declined of course, but a week later sent me a message saying he was strapped for cash and would accept my offer. I passed because of the irony of the situation.

I've actually done the same. Made an offer on a card, seller was kinda of rude and declined. Then comes back later and says sure so I pass and they have to sell for less. I've also had someone trying to buy my cards and low balled me too much, I counter with a good offer and they blow me off. Then someone else comes up and offers me like 99% of what I offered the other guy at the same time the other comes back trying to accept what I offered him. I sold it to the guy who offered me 99% of what I was gonna sell the other guy just b/c he was nicer and the other guy was rude.

aethertech
posted December 11, 2014 11:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View aethertech's Have/Want ListView aethertech's Have/Want List
I have also "passed" on return counters; and brought the same item from another seller for a bit more then my offer was. And then told the person I offered too that they should be a bit more "flexible" in accepting offers - especially offers that are 1-2% close to the "sold listing" price.

iccarus
posted December 11, 2014 12:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't think I've ever actually made an offer.

I also tend to disable it from listings I have up because most of the offers people submit are terrible and border on insulting. I know the whole "it's only worth what someone will pay" argument, but I typically only see offers at 50% of market value when I allow them.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

pugowar
posted December 12, 2014 03:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for pugowar Click Here to Email pugowar Send a private message to pugowar Click to send pugowar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View pugowar's Have/Want ListView pugowar's Have/Want List
I usually only use offers on my auctions if it is a hard to value item and I am trying to gauge the interest.

I usually pick a really high starting amount and give the option of "offers" to help me figure out where I should start my next auction out.

I did this when I was selling my complete Star Wars CCG collection. I was the only one offering it and picked a random price of like $5,000. I ended up with an offer of $3,500. (which was still like $2,000 more than I had expected)

We ended up settling on $4,000.

I don't think I would really ever use it for obvious priced items.
Tim

Demilio
posted December 12, 2014 04:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
Most recently, after some back and forth, 98 for a 110 card.

mnDiff
posted December 12, 2014 06:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mnDiff Click Here to Email mnDiff Send a private message to mnDiff Click to send mnDiff an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
well I guess it depends on the seller and how he conceive the best offer option...

sometimes I use it as a large quantity discount ...

for exemple... as a seller I recently accepted :

5 Antiquities booster : 95$/pce instead of 149.99$

12 FBB Italian Booster : 92$/pce instead of 119.99$

which I would all decline for 1 or 2 booster

[Edited 2 times, lastly by mnDiff on December 12, 2014]

LandDestroyer
posted December 12, 2014 07:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mnDiff:
well I guess it depends on the seller and how he conceive the best offer option...

sometimes I use it as a large quantity discount ...

for exemple... as a seller I recently accepted :

5 Antiquities booster : 95$/pce instead of 149.99$

12 FBB Italian Booster : 92$/pce instead of 119.99$

which I would all decline for 1 or 2 booster

I don't think this is too uncommon for older sealed product. I've had some success with 'best offers' on sealed product. I've also had a decent amount of success getting my 'best offer' accepted the worse condition the card is.

Sometimes a seller won't have a best offer option but I'll PM them and ask if they'll lower a starting bid or buy it now. Sometimes it works, sometimes I try again if their item doesn't sell and then it works.

Pug, I've heard of people saving thousands of dollars on larger magic collections before so that doesn't surprise me.

Keep the stories coming!

ravidell
posted December 15, 2014 02:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ravidell Click Here to Email ravidell Send a private message to ravidell Click to send ravidell an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ravidell's Have/Want ListView ravidell's Have/Want List
If I already have the lowest BIN price on ebay, I'm not going to accept an offer. When you offer $20.00 for a 70.00 item, I add you to the blocked bidders list. I don't bother making offers. I buy or I do not. that simple.

LandDestroyer
posted December 15, 2014 02:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by ravidell:
If I already have the lowest BIN price on ebay, I'm not going to accept an offer. When you offer $20.00 for a 70.00 item, I add you to the blocked bidders list. I don't bother making offers. I buy or I do not. that simple.

ya, people shouldn't be offering $20 for an item that is really worth $70. I don't care what the lowest BIN price is on ebay though tbh, I care about what auctions actually end at. If an card usually ends at $70 and the lowest BIN is $140 with a Best offer option I'm going to offer around $70 and I wouldn't block someone for that on an auction i'm selling.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LandDestroyer on December 15, 2014]

AGO
posted December 15, 2014 05:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't understand the bad sellers who don't counter offer. I normally offer at within $10 of the normal price but most just ignore the offer or decline it automatically. Seems like a waste of time.

Deathbydrawing
posted December 16, 2014 07:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbydrawing Click Here to Email Deathbydrawing Send a private message to Deathbydrawing Click to send Deathbydrawing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My best was I offered $50 for a NM playset of Japanese Stoneforge Mystics and the guy accepted my offer because he was strapped for cash.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League