Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Altering the border on world champion card

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Altering the border on world champion card
CoupDeGrace
posted March 29, 2014 10:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
As above, how to alter the gold border so that it will become white border? It looks so awful espically playing causal formats. Thanks

caquaa
posted March 29, 2014 01:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
tape + razor (scrape the top layer to make white border)
tape + sharpie (black border is easier)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by caquaa on March 29, 2014]

Magiclydelcious
posted March 29, 2014 01:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magiclydelcious Click Here to Email Magiclydelcious Send a private message to Magiclydelcious Click to send Magiclydelcious an Instant MessageVisit Magiclydelcious's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Magiclydelcious's Have/Want ListView Magiclydelcious's Have/Want List
Eraser

I collect Foil Delver of Secrets, check em out Here

Current Foil Delver count: 512

Sovarius
posted March 29, 2014 02:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
A little amount of acetone

dfitzg88
posted March 30, 2014 05:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Magiclydelcious:
Eraser

a warning: if you're taping the card to protect the middle section while erasing, you can erase the edges easily, but don't apply tape to any borders after you erase them. it will stick to that part and start to ruin it when you peel it off.

AGO
posted March 31, 2014 04:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by dfitzg88:
a warning: if you're taping the card to protect the middle section while erasing, you can erase the edges easily, but don't apply tape to any borders after you erase them. it will stick to that part and start to ruin it when you peel it off.

There is a trick to that. Once you are done erasing an edge peel the tape from the middle towards the border.

Sovarius
posted March 31, 2014 05:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
Also there is a kind of tape you can use that is like... sticky, but not very sticky, is how i would describe. It will come off pretty gently, it's designed for that

Building Ghave EDH, please check my threads.

Sales
Wants

bushe
posted March 31, 2014 06:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bushe Click Here to Email bushe Send a private message to bushe Click to send bushe an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bushe's Have/Want ListView bushe's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Sovarius:
Also there is a kind of tape you can use that is like... sticky, but not very sticky, is how i would describe. It will come off pretty gently, it's designed for that

I believe that in order to mask the parts of the card you do not want to alter you should use masking tape

jbark
posted March 31, 2014 03:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Or painters tape. The blue stuff.

Sovarius
posted March 31, 2014 04:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
Painter's tape is what i was thinking of.

Building Ghave EDH, please check my threads.

Sales
Wants

coolio
posted March 31, 2014 05:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
painter's tape is blue colored masking tape.. -_-

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

jbark
posted March 31, 2014 06:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Not necessarily Morgan lol. Some painters tapes protect against bleed through better than typical masking tape but essentially they are the same.

Animosity
posted March 31, 2014 08:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Animosity Click Here to Email Animosity Send a private message to Animosity Click to send Animosity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
Not necessarily Morgan lol. Some painters tapes protect against bleed through better than typical masking tape but essentially they are the same.

Nope they have different stickiness compared to regular masking tape. You can get a less sticky painters masking tape which wont damage when removed.

Metalboop
posted April 16, 2014 03:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Metalboop Click Here to Email Metalboop Send a private message to Metalboop Click to send Metalboop an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Metalboop's Have/Want ListView Metalboop's Have/Want List
Take it from me. I'm a professional painter. You can get masking tape in many different levels of adhesion. I'd go with the lowest you can find. Masking tape is also half the price of blue "painters tape". The only time we use the blue tape is when we stripe walls, because the blue is a little thicker and doesn't bleed through as much.

mliniscus
posted April 16, 2014 05:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mliniscus Click Here to Email mliniscus Send a private message to mliniscus Click to send mliniscus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Step 1. Get some of these erasers.

Step 2. Get tape.

quote:
Originally posted by Metalboop:
You can get masking tape in many different levels of adhesion. I'd go with the lowest you can find.

quote:
Originally posted by dfitzg88:

I agree completely with that, it's very easy to tear the top layer of the card if the tape is too sticky. You *can* put the tape over the edges, you just have to peel VERY carefully.

Step 3. Get to work.

Step 4. Profit.

As an aside, it is considerably harder to get clean white borders on the 1996 World Championship cards. Take a look at these... notice that the white borders of the Force of Wills have a gold-ish hue. It isn't for a lack of effort (well maybe some) but it's really quite difficult to get all the gold off. It's noticeable next to the Wastelands and Cradle. Maybe I'll get around to cleaning those up when I have time.

xxxcryoserumxxx
posted April 17, 2014 08:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for xxxcryoserumxxx Click Here to Email xxxcryoserumxxx Send a private message to xxxcryoserumxxx Click to send xxxcryoserumxxx an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View xxxcryoserumxxx's Have/Want ListView xxxcryoserumxxx's Have/Want List
Electrical tape seems to peel of easily. At least it comes off the cards i used it on.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League