Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Maze's End.dec Tournament Report

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Maze's End.dec Tournament Report
JoshSherman
posted February 24, 2014 04:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This is a response to this article. Last I checked, the comment was awaiting moderation. West Virginia LGSes, spearheaded by Four Horsemen in Morgantown, said "screw you" to TCG and SCG by hosting their own state championship yesterday. I hope this is a continued thing, because I loved the idea. Why should someone else get to tell us who our state champ is? Plus it was geographically centered in Sutton rather than being in Charleston all the damn time. I know some states have it worse, but it's not worth a two hour drive to me to scrub out. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Hi John. First of all, thank you for writing this article. I had already decided on playing Maze's End in standard for a while, but didn't have any idea what I wanted my sideboard to look like. After I read your article, I understood the deck much better than I had previously. I based my build off yours for a 152-man tournament I played in yesterday. Here is my list:

4 Maze's End
1 Temple Garden
1 Hallowed Fountain
20 2 of each gate
1 Simic Guildgate (a third one)
27 Lands

4 Fog
4 Druid's Deliverance
4 Defend the Hearth
4 Riot Control
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Detention Sphere
3 Merciless Eviction
1 Planar Cleansing
3 Urban Evolution
2 Quicken
1 Sphinx's Revelation
34 Spells

SIDEBOARD
4 Wear//Tear
4 Turn//Burn
4 Crackling Perimeter
2 Bow of Nylea
1 Assemble the Legion

I chose Temple Garden over Breeding Pool because I feel like I'm more likely to need a second white mana untapped turn four for Verdict than I am a first blue. In hindsight, I think that was incorrect, and that I should have cut the Temple for a second Fountain. I'm going to try that going forward.

I got incredibly unlucky yesterday. I went 2-3 drop. I played 5 control decks, and I feel like I should have beaten all five. My buddy was playing Bw, expecting a field of control, and got five aggro decks. He dropped at 3-2. It was bizarre. Anyway, here's a round by round recap. The sideboarding is from memory and may not be 100% accurate.

Round 1 vs. BR control
I drop game one. He plays a Mogis that I don't draw an answer to and wrecks my hand with Rakdos' Return. Both cards suck for us big time. I bring in my whole board, leaving a Riot Control in, but debating between it and a Fog. Game two goes pretty quickly in my favor, but I get the sense he's not running Pithing Needle, so I board out 2 Wear//Tear and something else to bring back a full set of Riot Control. Game three looks bad for me. He got a couple cards out of my hand and had a Mogis on board. Luckily I was able to barely outrace it and more Returns, thanks in part to a Bow of Nylea. 2-1, 1-0/

Round 2 vs. BUW Control
Game one I encounter no resistance whatsoever. I didn't see Mutavault, so I brought in everything but it, leaving Fogs. Game two goes really long, and with about 19 minutes left, the fire alarm in the venue goes off. It's a hotel conference hall and it seems a guest attempted to microwave some metal. My opponent offers me a draw as we're evacuating, as he is about to Sphinx for 9. I know this is a fantastic matchup, so I just can't accept. He could have had the game wrapped up, but there's just no way to know for sure. I don't blame him for trying, though. After about an hour delay, we restarted game 2 with 30 minutes on the round clock. He doesn't draw a Pithing Needle and I win easily. I'm feeling really good about my chances. 2-0, 2-0.

Round 3 vs. UW Control
This guy used to play at my local shop, and I regard him as one of the better local Magic players. I kept a two land hand game one-- the colors were right-- and don't draw a third for six turns. He ultimates Jace, AoT and casts Urban Evolution. Have you ever noticed that a player who resolves that spell almost always wins? I sure did, because I didn't cast one. I brought in everything and left a Fog. Game two I stick a Perimeter, and then don't draw enough support cards for it to matter. I made a couple minor play mistakes this round, like tapping incorrectly to reduce Perimeter's usefulness, but playing it correctly wouldn't have mattered. The deck totally whiffed this round. It happens, and I shrug it off, eager to re-prove myself next round. 0-2, 2-1.

Round 4 vs. BUR Control
So I'm chugging along game one. He drops Ashiok, something I know I don't want to see, but I have an answer in hand. He activates and the top two cards of my library are both Rakdos Guildgate. Bet you didn't see that coming, eh? I board everything in because I saw a Mutavault, leaving a Riot Control. Game two he drops Nightveil Specter and boy does he do some work before I can Sphere him. Remember last round when I mentioned that I've never seen anyone cast more Urban Evolutions and lose? I thought I was going to stabilize at four until he Rakdos' Returned me for 4. 0-2, 2-2.

Round 5 vs. UG Ramp/Tempo/???
This deck was definitely not something I thought to expect, and as such with my two really crappy losses in a row, I'm paired against it at 2-2. He gets going with a Kiora turn 3, and I don't have a blue mana to Detention Shpere, and I don't get one. She goes off, but this is pre-board, so my fogs are still in. He ramps up to a Sylvan Primordial hitting one of my gates. Fortunately I didn't have Simic on board yet, so I tutored it up next, bluffing it as a two-of so he can't do that again to lock me out. I think that was a really good play, but it didn't matter. I'm at seven gates with two Mazes on board and the tenth gate in hand, then he Primordials again. I don't draw another fog spell, so I'm toast. Guess which 5 drop UG sorcery he runs? Game two I can't get white mana, and I finally lose my cool after he whips my ass. "WTF do I have to do to win a GD game!?" I didn't yell at him or anything, and I immediately apologized for my outburst. Truth be told, if I wasn't sitting across from that deck, losing to it, I'd be very interested in it because I like that style. 0-2, 2-3, drop.

I just can't believe I dropped six straight games. Those game ones that I'm supposed to win... it's not that I don't believe you about it because I've seen it for myself. But damn. I went 1-4 in game ones. That's not going to get it done at any event.

In the end, I noticed that Wear//Tear basically sucked for me because while it could kill Needle, it does squat against indestructible gods. It is also susceptible to counter magic. Turn//Burn also just didn't do enough, but Abrupt Decay can't kill Mutavault. Basically, I kept them off devotion like I needed to, and then couldn't kill gods because of it. I faced zero aggro decks, though. I think I want to change Wear//Tear to Revoke Existence. The two-for-one was never relevant, and I can't imagine I will actually care about two things I can't win through at the same time.

I think I want to change Quicken as well. I don't know what to, but something that is impactful by itself, for sure. I don't think Kiora is good enough. Perhaps a second main-deck wincon, but I don't know. Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you. Good luck!

Josh S

[Edited 1 times, lastly by JoshSherman on February 24, 2014]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League