Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Shipping Cards

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Shipping Cards
sleeperx
posted February 18, 2014 11:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sleeperx Click Here to Email sleeperx Send a private message to sleeperx Click to send sleeperx an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View sleeperx's Trade Auction or SaleView sleeperx's Trade Auction or Sale
I'm looking to sell my Tarmogoyf's either on eBay or through here. But, I don't want to get ripped off so I'd like to know how you guys go about shipping high priced items?

Tracking will prove it arrived, how can I prevent someone saying they never received the cards in the package?

I know we can use third party, but if I end up selling on eBay, that would not be available.

Thanks.

chaos021
posted February 18, 2014 11:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
You can get a return receipt on the package if you're selling it internationally, but I do believe it requires registered mail at a minimum. The problem is, if you're selling them internationally, some countries do not require the recipient to actually sign the return receipt. If you're selling it in the US, just use signature confirmation. In addition, I personally would add insurance. The USPS system has been sketchy on a whole new level lately.

My Sale Thread

malzra
posted February 19, 2014 04:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for malzra Click Here to Email malzra Send a private message to malzra Click to send malzra an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think I've seen people recommend that you tape yourself putting the cards into the envelope and handing it over to the postal people. That way if they try to say nothing came in the envelope then you have video proof. You'll probably want to zoom in on the cards to show the condition and the label to show that stuff as well.

The other thing as is already mentioned, try signature delivery. Try to have it restricted to the recipient only that way it's harder for someone else to steal it.

AGO
posted February 19, 2014 04:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by malzra:
I think I've seen people recommend that you tape yourself putting the cards into the envelope and handing it over to the postal people. That way if they try to say nothing came in the envelope then you have video proof. You'll probably want to zoom in on the cards to show the condition and the label to show that stuff as well.

The other thing as is already mentioned, try signature delivery. Try to have it restricted to the recipient only that way it's harder for someone else to steal it.

This seems extreme and probably is not an acceptable form of evidence. Use signature confirmation and insurance. If it is lost at least the Postal service will give you your money back.

Vegas10
posted February 19, 2014 05:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
You can get a return receipt on the package if you're selling it internationally, but I do believe it requires registered mail at a minimum. The problem is, if you're selling them internationally, some countries do not require the recipient to actually sign the return receipt. If you're selling it in the US, just use signature confirmation. In addition, I personally would add insurance. The USPS system has been sketchy on a whole new level lately.

How exactly do you know the whole system has been more sketchy and what do you mean by that anyway?

coolio
posted February 19, 2014 07:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sleeperx:
I'm looking to sell my Tarmogoyf's either on eBay or through here. But, I don't want to get ripped off so I'd like to know how you guys go about shipping high priced items?

Tracking will prove it arrived, how can I prevent someone saying they never received the cards in the package?

I know we can use third party, but if I end up selling on eBay, that would not be available.

Thanks.

if you're THAT concerned.. you shouldnt be selling online..

not EVERY single buyer is out to scam/scum sellers..

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

Teferi Planeswalker
posted February 19, 2014 07:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Teferi Planeswalker Click Here to Email Teferi Planeswalker Send a private message to Teferi Planeswalker Click to send Teferi Planeswalker an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Teferi Planeswalker's Have/Want ListView Teferi Planeswalker's Have/Want List
I actually do record myself sealing the envelope with the cards/DC number/address made visible on packages over $50 or so. MOTL provides the protection for senders if you have DC, and I have even more protection with my videos if it ever came to it.

The fact that I have a decent number of references and dozens of these recordings from previous sales should mean that I should get the benefit of the doubt on here.

Edit: I also open everything under camera that comes from small vendors.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Teferi Planeswalker on February 19, 2014]

coolio
posted February 19, 2014 07:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teferi Planeswalker:
I actually do record myself sealing the envelope with the cards/DC number/address made visible on packages over $50 or so. MOTL provides the protection for senders if you have DC, and I have even more protection with my videos if it ever came to it.

The fact that I have a decent number of references and dozens of these recordings from previous sales should mean that I should get the benefit of the doubt on here.

Edit: I also open everything under camera that comes from small vendors.

this is called, paranoia.. seek professional help

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

chaos021
posted February 19, 2014 03:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas10:
How exactly do you know the whole system has been more sketchy and what do you mean by that anyway?

I've had several packages just sit in a location for up to a week. I've had other items just not show up until I take a receipt to the post office. All of sudden, it pops up in my box the next day. This particular case was after waiting 2 weeks for continental US mail. I currently have a package that was sent via 2-day priority mail. It took 6 days to deliever. I would've been better off just getting it done via normal parcel post. This is just what I remember since January.

Of course, I'm sure you're going to tell me about cutbacks and weather.

My Sale Thread

AGO
posted February 19, 2014 03:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
I've had several packages just sit in a location for up to a week. I've had other items just not show up until I take a receipt to the post office. All of sudden, it pops up in my box the next day. This particular case was after waiting 2 weeks for continental US mail. I currently have a package that was sent via 2-day priority mail. It took 6 days to deliever. I would've been better off just getting it done via normal parcel post. This is just what I remember since January.

For the small amount we pay I am damn glad we have the postal system we do. The amount of hands that your mail passes thru and the fact that it makes it to its destination is a miracle. $2 to send a small package across the USA is amazing really.

Volcanon
posted February 19, 2014 05:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Because there's so much fraud on this website I'd recommend making them agree to whatever is the most shipper-friendly on the INCOTERMs sheet.

chaos021
posted February 19, 2014 05:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
For the small amount we pay I am damn glad we have the postal system we do. The amount of hands that your mail passes thru and the fact that it makes it to its destination is a miracle. $2 to send a small package across the USA is amazing really.

I get where you're coming from, but 2-day priority mail does not cost $2.

My Sale Thread

majicman
posted February 19, 2014 06:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, if you shipped anywhere east of the Rockies, the country has been blanketed with Snow and Ice Storms the past month, so priority mail (and first class) have taken longer. It's more important that it gets there and not "fall off the truck" as it were.

I can say Italy (never had a problem with Spain) has a horrible postal system. I've lost several packages going to them via first class air mail, that I told folks, you want it, its express mail or nothing. I have only had 1 package lost in over 1000 shipped in US. For all I know the guy on the other side received because I shipped PWE at the time.

Vegas10
posted February 19, 2014 08:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:

Yes the service has been poor this winter no doubt, when you refer to sketchy makes me think you meant theft, which as far as I can tell is unchanged, does it happen yes, but it is rare. As far as the cutbacks and weather, it is what it is, I deliver the mail and have seen how all this effects the area I work in (including other offices where I know people). Fact is USPS should never have gone to two day priority after closing facilities and reducing staffing and hours no way they could guarentee that regularly but you will probably never here an Upper Management type (POM, District manager, PMG, etc..) admit that.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Vegas10 on February 20, 2014]

sleeperx
posted February 19, 2014 09:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sleeperx Click Here to Email sleeperx Send a private message to sleeperx Click to send sleeperx an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View sleeperx's Trade Auction or SaleView sleeperx's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by majicman:
Well, if you shipped anywhere east of the Rockies, the country has been blanketed with Snow and Ice Storms the past month, so priority mail (and first class) have taken longer. It's more important that it gets there and not "fall off the truck" as it were.

Maybe I'll just stick with local for the bigger transactions or deal with a trustworthy member.

But, this shipping just reminded me of a recent eBay feedback I got. Hijacking my own thread... I sold 3 cards that I shipped in PWE from Vancouver, Canada to Logan, Alabama.

My listing stated Standard International Delivery. Sold Feb 4, shipped Feb 5 and he left feedback on Feb 17. But, he gave me neutral feedback saying it took too long. I'm like WTF? I messaged him explaining that everything was within the times, but he seems so ****ed about getting the cards at 12 days.

If I remember correctly, there used to be a Reply to feedback, but it's not that anymore. It's Report to eBay. So, I did. Just waiting for a response. Is this something eBay would even do anything about?

I'm trying to start selling some cars on there and this after 125 positives, sucks.

majicman
posted February 20, 2014 02:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe I'll just stick with local for the bigger transactions or deal with a trustworthy member.

But, this shipping just reminded me of a recent eBay feedback I got. Hijacking my own thread... I sold 3 cards that I shipped in PWE from Vancouver, Canada to Logan, Alabama.

My listing stated Standard International Delivery. Sold Feb 4, shipped Feb 5 and he left feedback on Feb 17. But, he gave me neutral feedback saying it took too long. I'm like WTF? I messaged him explaining that everything was within the times, but he seems so ****ed about getting the cards at 12 days.

If I remember correctly, there used to be a Reply to feedback, but it's not that anymore. It's Report to eBay. So, I did. Just waiting for a response. Is this something eBay would even do anything about?

I'm trying to start selling some cars on there and this after 125 positives, sucks.

The person who left you neutral feedback, thinks because you live in the Country next door, its like living in the states and it should take 3-5 days. Also, from Canada to US and vis/versa it has been taking 10 days to 2 weeks (I just shipped 2 things from CA, US to Alberta Canada). The person is obviously not very reasonable.

[Edited 3 times, lastly by majicman on February 20, 2014]

Magiclydelcious
posted February 20, 2014 03:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magiclydelcious Click Here to Email Magiclydelcious Send a private message to Magiclydelcious Click to send Magiclydelcious an Instant MessageVisit Magiclydelcious's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Magiclydelcious's Have/Want ListView Magiclydelcious's Have/Want List
There is a reply to feedback on ebay.. you just have to find it..

go to your feedback page.. at the top it says

Home > community > feedback forum > feedback profile

Click on "feedback forum"

on the right click on Reply to feedback received.

Hope this helps.

quote:

I collect Foil Delver of Secrets, I will trade or buy them.
Current Foil Delver count: 512

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League