Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  How do you properly get started in Legacy?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How do you properly get started in Legacy?
tragicmagic
posted December 26, 2013 07:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
I've quit and started so often, selling off my collection, and then restarted, yada yada. The same can probably be said for a lot of veteran players.

I've started playing again, and currently, I'm focused on Standard, but I want to start playing Legacy again. To start playing, it seems really expensive though. So what is the best route to get involved with that area of the game again without having to blow my entire wallet all at once? Is there an inexpensive solid Legacy deck that I can build to transition into it?

spike777
posted December 26, 2013 08:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for spike777 Click Here to Email spike777 Send a private message to spike777 Click to send spike777 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Proxy a few decks and play with them casually with friends. Find one you like, and slowly build toward it or outright buy it or a budget version. You'll quickly get tired of playing a budget deck you don't like playing. If your budget is super low, only playtest the cheaper options and hopefully you like one from that list.

P.s. Another option is cockatrice if you don't want to proxy out the deck.

LandDestroyer
posted December 26, 2013 10:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
See my thread my friend.
http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/026161.html

I suggest building modern merfolk and robots/affinity then getting the cards to make them legacy competitive. For merfolk that means later picking up force of will and maybe wastelands...and true name nemesis echo will be easier once they ship more.

For affinity that means upgrading the lands a little (ancient tombs are pretty cheap).

Hope that helps!

Ps, you could always play burn or dredge.

oneofchaos
posted December 26, 2013 11:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Although it's a joke this flowchart actually does wonders at orienting the new guys to the format.

Hit me up if you have questions, I'd be willing to playtest via you on magic workstation or whatever. Always happy to get somebody new into legacy.

http://imgur.com/ghaf8Ct

LandDestroyer
posted December 26, 2013 03:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
I haven't read most of these yet, but on the off chance you or a friend have scg premium, you can find some recent articles here
http://www.starcitygames.com/tags/Legacy

such as

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27485_Is-Legacy-Cheaper-Than-Standard.html

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27580_How-To-Get-Into-Legacy-The-Sol-Land-Path.ht ml

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27533_How-To-Get-Into-Legacy-The-Lions-E ye-Diamond-Path.html

etc

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LandDestroyer on December 26, 2013]

jellyfishfanatic
posted December 26, 2013 07:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jellyfishfanatic Click Here to Email jellyfishfanatic Send a private message to jellyfishfanatic Click to send jellyfishfanatic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want ListView jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want List
It's definitely best to find something you like via an online program (or through proxies). Magic Workstation is the only free one available these days (to my knowledge); Hasbro shut down Cockatrice early last year so the program is not readily available, nor are card sets past (I think) Gatecrash.

SageShadows
posted December 26, 2013 07:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SageShadows Click Here to Email SageShadows Send a private message to SageShadows Click to send SageShadows an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View SageShadows's Have/Want ListView SageShadows's Have/Want List
Visit http://www.woogerworks.com/ for Cockatrice information.

kendawg13
posted December 28, 2013 04:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for kendawg13 Click Here to Email kendawg13 Send a private message to kendawg13 Click to send kendawg13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kendawg13's Have/Want ListView kendawg13's Have/Want List
Try to find a deck that can bridge formats and cover both Legacy and Modern to make the deck more playable. Yes some cards will be swapped in and out but the core cards remain the same, such as affinity or a form of caw blade.

LandDestroyer
posted December 28, 2013 04:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
Merfolk falls into that category . Jund to a degree

Eatatjoes
posted December 28, 2013 05:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Eatatjoes Click Here to Email Eatatjoes Send a private message to Eatatjoes Click to send Eatatjoes an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'd pick up staples of decks (force, goyf, waste) they go in multiple decks, and then you just pick up the smaller stuff along the way. The first thing I did was pick up all the duals, after that, it was a breeze

tragicmagic
posted December 28, 2013 06:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
Thanks for the tips everyone. I've taken everything into account. I have SCG Premium, so those articles were a great lead.

LandDestroyer
posted December 28, 2013 06:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Eatatjoes:
I'd pick up staples of decks (force, goyf, waste) they go in multiple decks, and then you just pick up the smaller stuff along the way. The first thing I did was pick up all the duals, after that, it was a breeze

Another reason why this advice is so important is bc you may be able to borrow the rest of a deck from someone if they are running a diff deck that just happens to run fow or wasteland if you have your own.

Volcanon
posted December 28, 2013 08:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Get a high paying job.

inferno41
posted December 29, 2013 06:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for inferno41 Click Here to Email inferno41 Send a private message to inferno41 Click to send inferno41 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View inferno41's Have/Want ListView inferno41's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
Get a high paying job.

This wins the interwebs.

JayC
posted December 29, 2013 10:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Take a 2nd mortgage out and kiss your assets goodbye.

bucknutty
posted December 31, 2013 04:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for bucknutty Click to send bucknutty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bucknutty's Have/Want ListView bucknutty's Have/Want List
I just recently got back into legacy and started out picking my colors and going through a list of "staples" I found on another site. The main expense, for me, has been the mana base. Esper has some expensive colors, lol.

After about a year of finding signed staples I am now getting into the revised duals, karakas, Fow, etc.

Only part that blows for me is when I go to the shop with my family and the kids point out my cards in the case so my wife can see what I actually spend on these pieces of cardboard.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted January 02, 2014 12:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Like others have said, I'd get a feel for the format first via something like Magic Workstation. Build a few of the decks to beat and established decks over at The Source, and see how they play out. Then build a cheap deck like Dredge (or go for an older storm combo deck). You can re-acquire staples over time.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

stacker
posted January 02, 2014 07:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stacker Click Here to Email stacker Send a private message to stacker Click to send stacker an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stacker's Have/Want ListView stacker's Have/Want List
acquire 3 of each blue dual, 4 fows, 4 goyfs, 4 of each blue fetch

this is about 75% of the cost of the cards needed to build almost any blue deck

Schwingzilla
posted January 04, 2014 06:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Schwingzilla Click Here to Email Schwingzilla Send a private message to Schwingzilla Click to send Schwingzilla an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The most valuable site I've found for Legacy is mtgtop8.com

I suppose acquire these cards in rough order of the decks you like to play:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/topcards?format=LE&meta=39

pugowar
posted January 04, 2014 06:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for pugowar Click Here to Email pugowar Send a private message to pugowar Click to send pugowar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Are you planning on attempting to play competitively (Gp's PTQ's etc), semi-competitive (local tournies etc), or casual?
Either way, test first. Pick a list you like.

If you are financially constrained try to save up for 1 dual land a month.

Proxy the rest for testing and make friends with guys who have extras you can borrow for tournaments.

Slowly build the deck until you have the whole thing.
Buy the most expensive cards first, trade for the smallest cards whenever you can.

Throw a bit of a party when the last proxy is replaced!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League