Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Ebay Scam

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Ebay Scam
jbark
posted December 12, 2013 03:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
So I have heard of this scam but never a victim until today.

I purchased an auction and paid through eBay. I was then refunded and sent an invoice OUTSIDE of eBay. This means I'm not covered by buyer protection. The guy claims he made a mistake. It isn't that easy to send a refund by mistake. Also he insisted I use my email. Due to being informed by either someone here or another forum a little while ago I did not complete the sale.

I'm just informing all here to save headaches and all from a scam. If this has happened id like to know if you reported them to eBay/PayPal.

Aznopium
posted December 12, 2013 05:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
the seller is trying to get out of paying the ebay fees.

Since you are paying for goods and services I believe you are still protected under PayPal (as long as you aint paying gift) and can get a refund if you are not satisfied or is not delivered to you.

A1phaMale
posted December 12, 2013 06:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Aznopium:
the seller is trying to get out of paying the ebay fees.

Since you are paying for goods and services I believe you are still protected under PayPal (as long as you aint paying gift) and can get a refund if you are not satisfied or is not delivered to you.

This is only a partial truth. The seller does get out of Ebay fees, but if you pay a paypal invoice which doesn't indicate an Ebay item # or other numerical code that links the invoice to the Ebay item, you are basically sending a big donation. Ebay Buyer Protection does not apply to a Paypal invoice.

headumpire
posted December 12, 2013 07:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A1phaMale:
This is only a partial truth. The seller does get out of Ebay fees, but if you pay a paypal invoice which doesn't indicate an Ebay item # or other numerical code that links the invoice to the Ebay item, you are basically sending a big donation. Ebay Buyer Protection does not apply to a Paypal invoice.

+1, if they include the ebay item number then you are covered

jbark
posted December 12, 2013 10:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
No item number. Just a random invoice from PayPal from his email. Copies and pasted the title of the listing as the subject to make it seem legit. But as I stated he insisted I use the emailed invoice not eBay. Even if he is avoiding fees I'm not protected. Not worth the hassle.

astateofeight08
posted December 12, 2013 10:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for astateofeight08 Click Here to Email astateofeight08 Send a private message to astateofeight08 Click to send astateofeight08 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View astateofeight08's Trade Auction or SaleView astateofeight08's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
So I have heard of this scam but never a victim until today.

I purchased an auction and paid through eBay. I was then refunded and sent an invoice OUTSIDE of eBay. This means I'm not covered by buyer protection. The guy claims he made a mistake. It isn't that easy to send a refund by mistake. Also he insisted I use my email. Due to being informed by either someone here or another forum a little while ago I did not complete the sale.

I'm just informing all here to save headaches and all from a scam. If this has happened id like to know if you reported them to eBay/PayPal.

This has happened to me as well.

Yes, report them to eBay as it is a violation of eBay policy. I reported it to eBay and the user that I purchased from was banned the next day.

While we are on this topic, awhile back I purchased six items from a single user totaling about $600. Three items were bought separately, three were placed in my shopping cart and purchased together. I never received any of the items and had to escalate it to a claim. I won all the cases and received a reversal for all the items that were bought individually.

In the items that were grouped together, I received reversal "A" for item "A" and reversal "B" for item "B". For the last item, the seller "issued" a manual refund and somehow applied reversal "A" to item "C", shorting me refund "C".

I ended up getting everything back after a one hour call with eBay and Paypal customer support. I do recommend doing it as soon as you see the discrepancy as eBay eventually issued a "courtesy refund" for item "C" while they attempt to get the money from the seller.

A1phaMale
posted December 12, 2013 11:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by astateofeight08:
This has happened to me as well.

Yes, report them to eBay as it is a violation of eBay policy. I reported it to eBay and the user that I purchased from was banned the next day.

While we are on this topic, awhile back I purchased six items from a single user totaling about $600. Three items were bought separately, three were placed in my shopping cart and purchased together. I never received any of the items and had to escalate it to a claim. I won all the cases and received a reversal for all the items that were bought individually.

In the items that were grouped together, I received reversal "A" for item "A" and reversal "B" for item "B". For the last item, the seller "issued" a manual refund and somehow applied reversal "A" to item "C", shorting me refund "C".

I ended up getting everything back after a one hour call with eBay and Paypal customer support. I do recommend doing it as soon as you see the discrepancy as eBay eventually issued a "courtesy refund" for item "C" while they attempt to get the money from the seller.

When I was approached by a seller wanting me to pay through an invoice, I contacted Ebay customer support. It was unbelievable how long it took them to understand the scam after I described it step by step. I even told them that he was selling multiple playsets of highly sought after stuff using the same photo at prices that are below market value. It took them 5 days to figure it out, but only after he scammed at least another 2-3K from Ebay members.

As a seller, I was even approached by a buyer that wanted to have an item shipped to another address. I told him I couldn't do that and ended up shipping the item to the address on the paypal invoice. He complained and Ebay awarded him a full refund. It took my 2 hours over the phone with Ebay customer support to get my money back. I even cited Ebay Buyer/Seller Protection Program policy verbatum that proved my case and actions. Two of the three persons (including supervisors) I spoke to told me that I should have shipped to the new address provided by the Buyer even after I quoted the policy. I told that goes against Ebay policy for Seller Protection and if I shipped the item to an address not on file, I would have done it at risk of a chargeback. The conversation was like beating a dead horse with the MOTL Ban Hammer.

slurpee
posted December 12, 2013 12:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
to someone who is reading this and doesn't quite understand the scam/issue. Ebay has a weird rule and one I completely disagree with, but it states that after a buyer has paid and then refunded that buyer CANNOT REPAY AGAIN. Meaning that you have either trust the seller, have them cancel the other and have you win again, or just not complete the sale.

Yes it sounds so simple but that's why this scam works. People assume you can remake an ebay payment, but the system doesn't allow for that. why I don't know.

jbark
posted December 12, 2013 12:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
A1phaMale:

Was that the guy with all the liliana and fetch land listings. 3x and 4x lilly totalling like 84 and over 100 fetches. I gave him a lian as well. Claimed his feedback was enough to trust lol. 450 with one in the last 6 months. Name was mtg-dude I think. I was refunded eventually.

astateofeight08
posted December 12, 2013 01:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for astateofeight08 Click Here to Email astateofeight08 Send a private message to astateofeight08 Click to send astateofeight08 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View astateofeight08's Trade Auction or SaleView astateofeight08's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
A1phaMale:

Was that the guy with all the liliana and fetch land listings. 3x and 4x lilly totalling like 84 and over 100 fetches. I gave him a lian as well. Claimed his feedback was enough to trust lol. 450 with one in the last 6 months. Name was mtg-dude I think. I was refunded eventually.

I was thinking the same guy. I bought two listings from him and got refunded as well. He made another new account, same items, shipped from the same town, same state, same pictures, and even the same prices. I flagged them and haven't seen them pop up again since last week or so.

Edit: I don't recall the new username though =[.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by astateofeight08 on December 12, 2013]

Aznopium
posted December 12, 2013 01:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by A1phaMale:

I wasn't talking about eBay's Buyer Protection. If you aint paying through eBay, obviously this is not going to happen.

If someone invoices you something from Paypal, you still get the Paypal Buyer Protection

Information if you guys would like to read it:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US#13

I am maintaining my position he is try to skimp out on eBay fees.

EDIT: Paypal even showing you how to invoice someone.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/requesting-payments

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Aznopium on December 12, 2013]

slurpee
posted December 12, 2013 01:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
the way the scam works usually though is that they send you an invoice as money owed/gift and not for goods. so they make it harder to get it reversed. Of course that is by the time that you actually are able to catch them before they empty the account.

Perhaps it has changed but in the past the protection was only as good as the ability for paypal to get money out of the seller. so if they dont have any money, and none of the accounts are linked, you didn't get your money back. That has happened to me a few times, although not recently.

quote:
I wasn't talking about eBay's Buyer Protection. If you aint paying through eBay, obviously this is not going to happen.

If someone invoices you something from Paypal, you still get the Paypal Buyer Protection

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US#13

A1phaMale
posted December 12, 2013 02:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
quote:

Yeah, you do have some limited protection through Paypal, but more than likely, you won't be covered. Typically, they will state in the paypal invoice subject line: "services", "auction item", "Magic card", or some other generic term that doesn't mean squat. If you pay that invoice, how does Paypal know that the "services" or "item" is sent to you. The seller could send you a Fallen Empires Thrull in place of a foil Jace or send you nothing at all and you would have a hard time explaining to Paypal that you should get your money back after you have no official contract, paid the invoice on your own free will, and potentially assisting the seller with avoiding Ebay fees. The invoice sender doesn't have to provide any tracking info etc after being paid through paypal, and unknowning recipients have a false sense of security because they believe they are covered.

I researched this heavily after being targeted. It's a scam and the scammer can be the only winner if you play.

A1phaMale
posted December 12, 2013 02:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
quote:
A1phaMale:

It was a different userID, but perhaps the same person. I knew it was fishy after he "accidently" refunded my money and then immediately sent me a paypal invoice.

jbark
posted December 14, 2013 01:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Not if he has 0 feedback and listed at 80% market value... he was trying to scam.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League