Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Legends question

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Legends question
Hooskdaddy
posted September 21, 2013 01:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hooskdaddy Click Here to Email Hooskdaddy Send a private message to Hooskdaddy Click to send Hooskdaddy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I had a discussion with someone today about english legends distribution, specifically in the uncommon slot and how that relates to the price of english versus italian legends.

Italian Legends and my understanding of it.

Italian legends was printed about 10% less than English. Italian packs contain an extra uncommon in each pack, which explains the difference in pricing versus english to a degree.

English legends and my understanding of it.

English legends were split(uncommon wise) into A boxes and B boxes with half of the uncommons from the print run going into A and half from the print run going into B. This DID NOT mean there were any less uncommons in the packs(3 per) nor any less of a certain uncommons in the total print run(excluding the differences between u1, u2, etc).

How far off am I?

KIP_NZ
posted September 21, 2013 04:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Click Here to Email KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hooskdaddy:

Italian Legends and my understanding of it.

Italian legends was printed about 10% less than English. Italian packs contain an extra uncommon in each pack, which explains the difference in pricing versus english to a degree.

ITA Legends was printed about 3 times as much as English, for each English U1 there's 58,000 copies, for an ITA one there's about 150,000. There was the standard 3 Uncommons in an ITA booster.
Word on the street is Hasbro still has quite substantial holdings of ITA Legends left hence seeing them as prizes often at WoTC sanctioned Eternal events (GenCon last year, GP side events etc)

quote:

English legends and my understanding of it.

English legends were split(uncommon wise) into A boxes and B boxes with half of the uncommons from the print run going into A and half from the print run going into B. This DID NOT mean there were any less uncommons in the packs(3 per) nor any less of a certain uncommons in the total print run(excluding the differences between u1, u2, etc).

You're correct on the A vs B split, B boxes were a tad rarer for some reason. In the old days you could redeem 100 Uncommons from either A or B cycle and get 100 of the other cycle to complete sets.

quote:

How far off am I?

Close but no cigar.

Nitelite
posted September 23, 2013 10:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
You're correct on the A vs B split, B boxes were a tad rarer for some reason. In the old days you could redeem 100 Uncommons from either A or B cycle and get 100 of the other cycle to complete sets.

Source for this please.

psrex
posted September 24, 2013 06:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8808&sid=624f156dfdf7ab034d286ed510e89eee

Nitelite
posted September 24, 2013 08:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Awesome. Thanks!

JayC
posted September 24, 2013 09:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KIP_NZ:
ITA Legends was printed about 3 times as much as English, for each English U1 there's 58,000 copies, for an ITA one there's about 150,000. There was the standard 3 Uncommons in an ITA booster.
Word on the street is Hasbro still has quite substantial holdings of ITA Legends left hence seeing them as prizes often at WoTC sanctioned Eternal events (GenCon last year, GP side events etc)

Close but no cigar.

That was awesome, thanks for the lesson. Very interesting to read.

majicman
posted September 25, 2013 01:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
I remember the A and B box. I had bought 4 boxes back then and I think there was a blue and black mark on the bottom to determine which one you had. When I heard the rumor, I made sure I opened 1 of each when trying to put together a set, so I got the complimenting uncommons. I tried to keep the extra 2 boxes, but alas one was opened and the other sold.

lickaneye
posted September 25, 2013 05:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for lickaneye Click Here to Email lickaneye Send a private message to lickaneye Click to send lickaneye an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Who remembers Legends god boxes? Yes... they exist... I remember opening packs of these.

implode
posted September 25, 2013 05:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for implode Click Here to Email implode Send a private message to implode Click to send implode an Instant MessageVisit implode's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View implode's Have/Want ListView implode's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by lickaneye:
Who remembers Legends god boxes? Yes... they exist... I remember opening packs of these.

Only god boxes I've ever witnessed directly, and thus trust is Invasion. I've seen a dozen of legends (back then that was opening a lot), and never seen anything like that.

God boxes of invasion were tournament packs with varying amounts of rares in the uncommon slot.

I also once saw split cards in Tempest prerelease (Columbia, MO.). Basically a glueing issue where cards would split in half. I was ticked off and had to swap my card pool an re-register it. I should have kept them, they were an interesting misprint that I may have been able to sell.

majicman
posted September 25, 2013 09:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
Aw...Legends god packs, where you got 4 rares in a pack (no uncommons). My LGS got at least a case of them shipped. He figured it out after cracking a box. He sold them for $10 a pack, $300/bx which I bought a box and opened 20 packs to finish off my set. Wound up selling the other 16 packs to some from friends who were happy to pay the $10/pck as Legends dried up quickly.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by majicman on September 27, 2013]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League