Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Anybody ship international today? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Anybody ship international today?
dwiz
posted January 28, 2013 12:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
PWE is basically your only option now. 3 ounce package (aka padded envelope) to UK just cost me $9.50. Yesterday is was about $4.50. Remember this when doing big quantity trades. The new rates are absolutely killer, in a bad way.

edsillars
posted January 28, 2013 01:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for edsillars Click Here to Email edsillars Send a private message to edsillars Click to send edsillars an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Canada cost me $7 for 2 ounces, used to be $3. Might have to change shipping policies.

Mr.C
posted January 28, 2013 01:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
Wow, it's suddenly cheaper to ship from Canada to the US in a PWE!

iccarus
posted January 28, 2013 01:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
Thanks for the heads up. I knew rates were going up, but I didn't realize it was going to be that nuts.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

bigballashotcaller
posted January 28, 2013 03:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for bigballashotcaller Click Here to Email bigballashotcaller Send a private message to bigballashotcaller Click to send bigballashotcaller an Instant MessageVisit bigballashotcaller's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bigballashotcaller's Have/Want ListView bigballashotcaller's Have/Want List
That is a hell of an increase. That pretty much eliminates any trades or small sales I will make outside of the country now. Registered or bust.

PortlisX
posted January 28, 2013 10:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for PortlisX Click Here to Email PortlisX Send a private message to PortlisX Click to send PortlisX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's beyond ridiculous. USPS has increased prices before, sure, but this is absurd.

My post office has always been reasonable, and when I've shipped a small #000 size bubble mailer with 1-4 cards in it (to keep it thin) they always shipped it as a "large envelope" which cost me $1.75 rather than $3.50+.

As of today, even a "large envelope" is $2.90, and that's now considered a good deal. As has been stated, a 3 oz "package" is now $9.45.

That's right folks, international packages just went from $3.50ish to $9.45 in one day. The post office likes to claim that rates are going up by "only about 5%", but they are full of ****. Our tax dollars are hard at work subsidizing the postal system folks, gotta love our government.

The ONLY viable international sales/trades that will be occurring from this point forward are large deals when a package is leaving the USA. Anything small is now pointless unless you can fit it in a PWE, and even still, PWE rates went from $1.05 (in most cases) to $2.05.

**** the USPS.

Willard507
posted January 28, 2013 10:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Willard507 Click Here to Email Willard507 Send a private message to Willard507 Click to send Willard507 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PortlisX:
Our tax dollars are hard at work subsidizing the postal system folks, gotta love our government.

**** the USPS.

Is FedEx cheaper? Is there a cheaper option even after these changes?

Also if I recall correctly the USPS doesn't get tax dollars. Maybe we should give it some tax money and keep the rates to Canada artificially low.

PortlisX
posted January 28, 2013 11:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for PortlisX Click Here to Email PortlisX Send a private message to PortlisX Click to send PortlisX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willard507:
Is FedEx cheaper? Is there a cheaper option even after these changes?

Also if I recall correctly the USPS doesn't get tax dollars. Maybe we should give it some tax money and keep the rates to Canada artificially low.

You're correct... sort of. The USPS doesn't get tax dollars specifically for operating costs. They do, however, get government money (5.5 billion annually, if my research is correct) in government money (TAX DOLLARS) prepaid into a retiree health services account to ensure that these poor government workers (/sarcasm) have coverage for the next 75 years. This is also the single largest source of loss for the USPS. I thought we were all getting "free" health care anyway, right Obama? Other factors (daily rural mail delivery) also contribute heavily towards their loss.

This change doesn't just affect sellers of MTG cards. It affects EVERYONE who ships internationally. A postage rate change of OVER 100+% just killed thousands of small businesses today that rely on international shipping. Large businesses will feel it as well. Wasn't the goal in a bad economy to help businesses grow and prosper, not kill them and hurt their revenue (ie, tax dollars that the government will now no longer be receiving)?

If you think this is in ANY way a good thing for anyone involved (except perhaps post office employees) you're a fool.

Mr.C
posted January 28, 2013 11:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:
You're correct... sort of. The USPS doesn't get tax dollars specifically for operating costs. They do, however, get government money (5.5 billion annually, if my research is correct) in government money (TAX DOLLARS) prepaid into a retiree health services account to ensure that these poor government workers (/sarcasm) have coverage for the next 75 years. This is also the single largest source of loss for the USPS. I thought we were all getting "free" health care anyway, right Obama? Other factors (daily rural mail delivery) also contribute heavily towards their loss.

This change doesn't just affect sellers of MTG cards. It affects EVERYONE who ships internationally. A postage rate change of OVER 100+% just killed thousands of small businesses today that rely on international shipping. Large businesses will feel it as well. Wasn't the goal in a bad economy to help businesses grow and prosper, not kill them and hurt their revenue (ie, tax dollars that the government will now no longer be receiving)?

If you think this is in ANY way a good thing for anyone involved (except perhaps post office employees) you're a fool.

Might be bad for you, but it just got a whole lot more competitive for Canadians.

Thanks USPS!

PortlisX
posted January 28, 2013 11:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for PortlisX Click Here to Email PortlisX Send a private message to PortlisX Click to send PortlisX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
Might be bad for you, but it just got a whole lot more competitive for Canadians.

Thanks USPS!

True, I shouldn't have said that it's not good for anyone. It's GREAT for international sellers that just got a lot more competitive in the international marketplace now that US sellers can no longer compete.

Have fun rest of the world, our great country (sarcasm) is busy isolating ourselves over here in the global marketplace. Always a fantastic and viable strategy in the 21st century.

Willard507
posted January 29, 2013 12:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Willard507 Click Here to Email Willard507 Send a private message to Willard507 Click to send Willard507 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Wow sorry I asked. I was really wondering if there are cheaper options.

If cheap international shipping is so important maybe we should give the USPS taxes to artificially keep it low. Although from your rant its pretty clear you don't want "Obama" (lol) to take anymore of your money.

So what's your solution? The USPS raising its prices (still the cheapest option) to keep itself going or send them some tax money?

PortlisX
posted January 29, 2013 02:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for PortlisX Click Here to Email PortlisX Send a private message to PortlisX Click to send PortlisX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willard507:
Wow sorry I asked. I was really wondering if there are cheaper options.

If cheap international shipping is so important maybe we should give the USPS taxes to artificially keep it low. Although from your rant its pretty clear you don't want "Obama" (lol) to take anymore of your money.

So what's your solution? The USPS raising its prices (still the cheapest option) to keep itself going or send them some tax money?

No, I certainly don't want the government taking any more of my money. There's already enough to go around for what their job should be. Plus, as you asked, the solution to the USPS financial woes is actually incredibly simple. Look no further than #1 below:

1. Repeal the ridiculous $5.5 billion/year bill (passed pre-economy collapse when everything was hunky-dory) that passed in 2006 that required pre-payment to retirement health care accounts. This is the SOLE REASON that the USPS posts losses rather than profits. Believe it or not, the USPS has positive profits from operations if you remove this one single ludicrous stipulation that no other public or private shipping company has to deal with. What the USPS has always lacked in per package/letter profits they have always made up for in sheer volume.

2. Cut costs in other areas that cause losses each year (such as every day mail delivery to rural customers).

3. Allow the USPS to operate as a business with multiple revenue streams and business ventures. As they sit now, they are run as a business, but saddled with the burden of also being a government agency. They aren't allowed to ship many types of products that fedex / UPS can, and they aren't allowed to perform ANY function other than deliver mail as mandated by congress.

4. As with any government agency (and really, many companies too) there's bound to be significant waste at the top of the food chain. This is speculation on my part, as I don't have immediate records of top exec's salaries and such, but I guarantee you there's plenty of fluff that could be chopped out. Still though, this isn't even a necessary step if you ONLY fix problem #1.

5. If all else fails? Redirect some money from elsewhere into subsidizing it. This isn't even necessary if the other 3 steps were taken, but I don't view the post office as being vastly different than roads. Everyone uses it, it's basically a necessity for our way of life, so why isn't it treated as such? I'd personally cut some of our military spending as a top priority, but that's getting into more of a political debate which isn't something I care to do and isn't really the topic of this discussion. Still, there's plenty of crap that each of us as US citizens pay for that we don't use, yet we all use the post office but don't want to allocate any funds towards it. I don't get it.

deegeebee
posted January 29, 2013 04:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for deegeebee Send a private message to deegeebee Click to send deegeebee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View deegeebee's Have/Want ListView deegeebee's Have/Want List
Wow, this is awful. I was just starting to get into buying from the sales forum. Now we really need a US only icon.

hilikuS
posted January 29, 2013 06:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
If you can find mailers that are under 1/4 of an inch thick the prices are a lot more reasonable. They have flat CD mailers on Ebay that are rigid enough to protect cards, but not chubby like bubble mailers. That should help.

I agree though almost doubling the price is nuts. I was lamenting all yesterday.

walkerdog
posted January 29, 2013 09:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:

That "fund it for the next 75 years" thing? That's a conservative "thing" because they were concerned that we weren't paying our bills. Instead of a reasonable amount of funding, they overfunded it in their zealousness to slash other areas (SS/Medicare/whatever else).

walkerdog
posted January 29, 2013 09:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
Yea, I made my last Canada shipment yesterday... was 8 bucks, give or take, for a package that's 3-4 in the US. No thank you!

PortlisX
posted January 29, 2013 09:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for PortlisX Click Here to Email PortlisX Send a private message to PortlisX Click to send PortlisX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by walkerdog:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PortlisX:

quote:

That "fund it for the next 75 years" thing? That's a conservative "thing" because they were concerned that we weren't paying our bills. Instead of a reasonable amount of funding, they overfunded it in their zealousness to slash other areas (SS/Medicare/whatever else).

Yup, you are correct, though I'd argue with your terminology. It was a GOP thing, not a "conservative" thing. The two aren't even close to the same thing these days unfortunately.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by PortlisX on January 29, 2013]

walkerdog
posted January 29, 2013 10:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Yup, you are correct, though I'd argue with your terminology. It was a GOP thing, not a "conservative" thing. The two aren't even close to the same thing these days unfortunately.

That's sort-of true, but it had a conservative set of reasoning: "We need to make sure that this bill is paid for blah blah years. It's the RESPONSIBLE thing to do"

I don't know that there really are that many conservatives any more (fiscal conservatives, there are social conservatives who will spew hate all over, but ACTUAL fiscal conservatives who are willing to cut into subsidies to large companies, cut spending on the military, etc don't really exist any more. They're too tied into big business to do those things).

PortlisX
posted January 29, 2013 10:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for PortlisX Click Here to Email PortlisX Send a private message to PortlisX Click to send PortlisX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by walkerdog:
That's sort-of true, but it had a conservative set of reasoning: "We need to make sure that this bill is paid for blah blah years. It's the RESPONSIBLE thing to do"

I don't know that there really are that many conservatives any more (fiscal conservatives, there are social conservatives who will spew hate all over, but ACTUAL fiscal conservatives who are willing to cut into subsidies to large companies, cut spending on the military, etc don't really exist any more. They're too tied into big business to do those things).

They do exist, but until people lose the sheep mentality of picking "the lesser of two evils" because "only 2 parties can win", they won't get elected.

Ron Paul and similar Libertarians (such as the Ron Paul endorsed candidate this year, Gary Johnson) stand specifically for those very things, and I truthfully believe that some day in my lifetime Americans will wake up and start truly believing that someone more in line with the values of the majority of the citizenship of the US should be elected instead of the clowns we currently have to choose from.

Social freedoms and fiscal conservatism is the future.

But I digress, this thread has been derailed enough now from it's original intended purpose.

MAB_Rapper
posted January 29, 2013 12:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by edsillars:
Yeah, Canada cost me $7 for 2 ounces, used to be $3. Might have to change shipping policies.

Well, looks like I am done with international for good, including certain people I used to make exceptions for.

hilikuS: Also, as much as MAB's list has become the list on the T/A Forum, I do miss Slinga's.

GFD18
posted January 29, 2013 09:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GFD18 Click Here to Email GFD18 Send a private message to GFD18 Click to send GFD18 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yep, the new rates blow. Earlier today I shipped a 4x8 bubble envelope that was 0.90 oz to Canada and the postage was $6.55!

LESS than one ounce was close to SEVEN dollars...

Killer!

Bagbokk
posted January 30, 2013 04:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's dumb.

Post office will still ship as a large envelope for me as long as it's under a certain thickness, so I can still do sales under like 4 cards for $3 shipping, but ugh.

psrex
posted January 30, 2013 04:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
I almost hate to bring this up again, but there is nothing wrong with shipping in a plain white envelope. Make sure to enclose a piece of paper folded around the cards (in sixths or thirds) to help add strength for when the envelope goes through the sorting machines. If you don't add the paper then you risk tearing the envelope and losing the cards. I've had several envelopes barely make it to me, sometimes barely holding together, and other times only saved due to taping the cards to the envelope. This is preventable if you put paper around the toploader.

This easily keeps you out of being classified as a package and still provides plenty of protection as long as you use toploaders and a piece of paper.

walkerdog
posted January 30, 2013 07:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by psrex:
I almost hate to bring this up again, but there is nothing wrong with shipping in a plain white envelope. Make sure to enclose a piece of paper folded around the cards (in sixths or thirds) to help add strength for when the envelope goes through the sorting machines. If you don't add the paper then you risk tearing the envelope and losing the cards. I've had several envelopes barely make it to me, sometimes barely holding together, and other times only saved due to taping the cards to the envelope. This is preventable if you put paper around the toploader.

This easily keeps you out of being classified as a package and still provides plenty of protection as long as you use toploaders and a piece of paper.

I don't send without DC generally, so I'm not sure that that's an option for me.

nderdog
posted January 30, 2013 07:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by psrex:
I almost hate to bring this up again, but there is nothing wrong with shipping in a plain white envelope.

Yes, nothing wrong with it, as long as you don't care if the cards arrive or get damaged on the way. I've received far too many packages sent this way that have been utterly destroyed in this manner. It doesn't matter how they were taped or papered or whatever other magic tricks (no pun intended) that some people claim will somehow laugh at the laws of physics to allow their package to sail through the sorting machines without the toploader ever catching in the sorting machine as if it weren't a solid rigid object zipping through an apparatus designed for nice bendy paper.

Does it work most of the time? Sure. Is it always going to? The odds are against you if you ship a decent volume of cards. It's just up to you to determine if the loss of packages from sorting machines and people who claim to not have received is more or less than that of the postage costs.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League