Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Pack Rat

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Pack Rat
JayC
posted January 01, 2013 12:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JayC's Have/Want ListView JayC's Have/Want List
Can we talk about this guy?

In limited, he's a bomb and a half. Incredibly annoying to deal with, and typically a game winner.

In constructed, we're yet to see him make any real impact.

My question is, what would it take for him to be a 'thing'? Would it take something that they're not going to print or is he just a rat or two away? Or is it not a rat that he needs, at all? Perhaps a card that allows him to interact with the yard better off of his discard ability?

I speculated the **** out of this guy because it cost relatively nothing to do it (I picked up like 30 non foil and 12 foil for $20+ for the hell of it) but am not so sure, with the recent guild abilities he has a chance to make it as a constructed card that see's tournament level play and success.

Thoughts?

[Edited 2 times, lastly by JayC on January 01, 2013]

stinkinogre
posted January 01, 2013 01:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stinkinogre Click Here to Email stinkinogre Send a private message to stinkinogre Click to send stinkinogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stinkinogre's Have/Want ListView stinkinogre's Have/Want List
I use him in my Karador Edh deck. I like pitching creatures for reanimation and getting dudes.

Thought he would have gotten a home in Junk Rites. Maybe he'll find a home in Gatecrash.

caquaa
posted January 01, 2013 01:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
its simple, hes a bomb in limited because there are only two answers to him:
1) rares
2) terrible person playing the rat

in limited you don't have access to any are you want. IN standard supreme verdict, terminus, d sphere, bonfire and likely others I'm forgetting can all keep him in check. Beyond that we have decent spot removal such as pillar of flame and searing spear.

Not sure why you'd speculate on him, its easy enough to see why hes bad in constructed.

JayC
posted January 01, 2013 02:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JayC's Have/Want ListView JayC's Have/Want List

I'm not convinced he's bad in constructed, just yet. Maybe he's subpar because he doesn't have the right build, or is missing a card or two to become something real though.

There are some interesting builds floating around and discussions, as well that note a few ideas:

Lingering Souls
Think Twice
Veilborn Ghoul (?!)
Sever the Bloodline

And of course, Snapcaster Mage in the background of all of this.

Something like this:

3x Snapcaster Mage
4x Pack Rat
4x Typhoid Rat
4x Ravenous Rats

4x Think Twice
4x Azorious Charm
4x Lingering Souls
2x Sign in Blood
3x Essence Scatter
3x Rootborn Defenses

2x Liliana of the Veil

3x Godless Shrine
3x Watery Grave
4x Isolated Chapel
3x Hallowed Fountain
4x Drowned Catacombs
2x Glacial Fortress
1x Island
2x Swamp
1x Plains
2x Vault of the Archangel

Don't quote me on the mana base, etc. but I think it has something there that could at least be worked on, and may get some new cards to support it even further in the upcoming set with these color combinations being at the forefront.

choco man
posted January 01, 2013 02:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
In Standard, you can pay 1 card and 3cc for an unconditional 4/4.

It's whole a lot different in constructed than limited.

Zeckk
posted January 01, 2013 05:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Yeah it's just relative power level. With that said, he's definitely not unplayable in constructed. Junk Rites, or Junk tokens might be worth using pack rat at some point in the future. Also, if more constructed playable rats see print, there's less of a start-up cost for getting the rats toa decent P/T.

MagicPatty
posted January 01, 2013 06:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
I feel like a deck with him needs rootborn defenses in the main.

Demilio
posted January 01, 2013 06:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
Detention Sphere,Sever the Bloodline, Supreme Verdict are cards that see a lot of play in standard. I don't see the rat ever being T2 playable. The mana cost and card disadvantage you are paying are just too easy to be wiped away.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Demilio on January 01, 2013]

Link139232
posted January 01, 2013 07:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Demilio:
Detention Sphere,Sever the Bloodline, Supreme Verdict are cards that see a lot of play in standard. I don't see the rat ever being T2 playable. The mana cost and card disadvantage you are paying are just too easy to be wiped away.

Terminus too.

Also, for a Reanimator helper, Lotleth Troll puts Rat to shame.

dwiz
posted January 01, 2013 07:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
Pack Rats is awful outside of limited. You've speculated in a bulk rare.

wild-ravager
posted January 01, 2013 07:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for wild-ravager Click Here to Email wild-ravager Send a private message to wild-ravager Click to send wild-ravager an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wild-ravager's Have/Want ListView wild-ravager's Have/Want List
It could be a fun deck if u put in red add drainpipe virmen as well

mtglover
posted January 01, 2013 09:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mtglover Click Here to Email mtglover Send a private message to mtglover Click to send mtglover an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mtglover's Have/Want ListView mtglover's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
Pack Rats is awful outside of limited. You've speculated in a bulk rare.

I'm not so sure about that cause if an uncommon card like relentless rats has some value because casual players love it, pack rats should be more than just a bulk rare.

fedorables
posted January 01, 2013 09:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fedorables Send a private message to fedorables Click to send fedorables an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fedorables's Have/Want ListView fedorables's Have/Want List
I don't understand something here... Why is it that when a non-staple creatures are up for discussion, everyone mentions removal spells? Removal spells get rid of creatures, hence the term REMOVAL. Most creatures can be responded with by removal. Yeah, a lot of staple creatures have some sort of evasion, but 1) A lot of staple creatures also don't have much in the evasion department and 2) Those that do have evasion can't evade every removal spell that you guys are listing.

ESPECIALLY TERMINUS. I mean, really? It doesn't target, and it doesn't destroy. If you don't counter it, its going to clear your field, leaving you with a 3/3 token thanks to Thragtusk if you're lucky. Name a standard staple, and there's removal responses for it. They'd be broken if there weren't. If you're going to say Pack Rat is bad, why don't you try being at least a little more creative than, "dumb card cuz gets removed by removal lulz."

Now, for my two cents. I have a friend who consistently beats out B/R Zombies, American Midrange, Jund Midrange, and its a toss-up with Bant Control (4 out the 5 top deck types according to TCG, all of which have decklists copied from 1st placers in SCG tourneys, GPs, Invitationals, etc etc) with a deck using 2 or 3 Pack Rats. I don't have a decklist, but its some sort of GWB populate monstrosity, using Trostani, Wayfaring Temple, Parallel Lives, Growing Ranks, Sigarda (for evasion), and the like. He uses things like Selesnya Charm, Oblivion Ring, Abrupt Decay, Sever the Bloodline etc. to hold off his opponent while he does his thing with Druid's Deliverance and Rootborn Defenses. Pack Rat isn't essential for victory, but its a winner more than often to secure his place in the deck. Selesnya Midrange is the deck out the top 5 I listed that's generally too fast for him. B/R Zombies also puts up a pretty good fight and its a cool match to watch, but he beats most of those decks in the end. What I think is cool is that he generally only discards once or twice for Pack Rats since the copies are tokens, the deck just powers him up. I'll see if I can get a decklist. I just want it to be known that just because its a bulk rare doesn't *necessarily* mean it can't be powerful in standard, although they usually aren't. For example, didn't matter what Tempered Steel, Solarflare, or any of the other top decks of the Scars-earlyInnistrad time did, my Worldslayer deck was unstoppable. *evil laugh*

EDIT: Not saying that its technically a Pack Rat deck, its just in there because it has synergy with the deck.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by fedorables on January 02, 2013]

Zeckk
posted January 02, 2013 01:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Dies to removal is a relevant argument, because the vast majority of constructed playable creatures are either resilient to some forms of removal (Sigarda, GoST), do something when they enter play (craterhoof behemoth, snapcaster mage), or have haste/psuedo haste (resto angel, hellrider).

The only creatures outside of those criteria are usually incredibly efficient (diregraf ghoul, loxodon smiter). Pack Rat IS resistant to removal, but doesn't actually provide CA unless there are specific circumstances.

fedorables
posted January 02, 2013 02:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fedorables Send a private message to fedorables Click to send fedorables an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fedorables's Have/Want ListView fedorables's Have/Want List
I'm not saying removal isn't relevant. It definitely is. And I stated that. My issue with mentioning it is that most people are giving out lists of removal spells. Try naming a creature in standard that can't be responded to by Detention Sphere, Sever the Bloodline, Supreme Verdict, or Terminus... and I mean the creature itself, ignoring its leave play effects. I bet you can't. Yeah, some creatures can evade some removal, but giving a list like the cards I just listed, you cover pretty much every contingency.

For example, Demilio mentioned that the mana costs and card disadvantage were too high. That's definitely more of a constructive criticism than repeating something we all know: Removal spells remove things.

choco man
posted January 02, 2013 02:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by fedorables:
I'm not saying removal isn't relevant. It definitely is. And I stated that. My issue with mentioning it is that most people are giving out lists of removal spells. Try naming a creature in standard that can't be responded to by Detention Sphere, Sever the Bloodline, Supreme Verdict, or Terminus... and I mean the creature itself, ignoring its leave play effects. I bet you can't.

SO MANY OF THE TIER ONE CREATURES MEET THE CRITERIA

Haste: Hellrider, Falkenrath Aristocrat, Thundermaw Hellkite

Flash: Restoration Angel

Value: Thragtusk (can't negate the "leaves play" clause no matter what you say)

Rat Pack is in a strange place. Because of Lingering Souls, we have cards like Detention Sphere (which is spot removal that also doubles as mass-removal). The collateral damage from removal for tokens is something that hurts Pack Rats.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on January 02, 2013]

fedorables
posted January 02, 2013 03:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fedorables Send a private message to fedorables Click to send fedorables an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fedorables's Have/Want ListView fedorables's Have/Want List
None of those creatures can evade that entire list. Which was the point of the argument and exactly what I was saying. Although haste does guarantee at least one turn of effect, forgot about that, so yeah, haste creatures can't immediately handled by that list. Shouldn't have used "respond" due to the confusion that causes, my bad. So, on your turn, none of those creatures can do a thing about Terminus. Except Thragtusk, but for the record, I said "ignoring" not "negate" because I was talking about the creature itself, not the creature token it leaves behind. AGAIN, I'm talking about downplaying Pack Rat because it obviously can't handle EVERY removal spell you could list. Just like NONE of the creatures you mentioned could handle EVERY removal spell you could list. Saying X creature dies to Y removal should be a given because there's always a removal. At least currently in standard.

Summary: Naming removal spells is bad criticism, because everything is supposed to have a method of removal.
(Except emblems, but let's not get nitpicky :P)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by fedorables on January 02, 2013]

caquaa
posted January 02, 2013 04:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
The reason removal was brought up was because lack of it in limited is why hes good. 99% of the time your opponent doesn't have any way to deal w/ an ever increasing army all at 3 mana at that. Its specifically lack of mass removal in limited, which is heavily played in constructed. Its not quite the same as "goyf is bad cause he dies to doom blade" argument. Packrat is a terrible card if it can't get out of control.

coolio
posted January 02, 2013 07:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fedorables:
Now, for my two cents. I have a friend who consistently beats out B/R Zombies, American Midrange, Jund Midrange, and its a toss-up with Bant Control (4 out the 5 top deck types according to TCG, all of which have decklists copied from 1st placers in SCG tourneys, GPs, Invitationals, etc etc) with a deck using 2 or 3 Pack Rats. I don't have a decklist, but its some sort of GWB populate monstrosity, using Trostani, Wayfaring Temple, Parallel Lives, Growing Ranks, Sigarda (for evasion), and the like. He uses things like Selesnya Charm, Oblivion Ring, Abrupt Decay, Sever the Bloodline etc. to hold off his opponent while he does his thing with Druid's Deliverance and Rootborn Defenses.

I feel you're being results oriented with inbred results.. I've destroyed b/w tokens in Lorwyn standard with Fae, which shouldnt happen.. my opp told me after the match, they dont have a good fae player in their group.. and I sense that's the case here. you listed a few fairly upper tier decks, yes, but at the same time, you need a very competent pilot behind those decks for them to operate at peak efficiency..

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

PantySausage
posted January 03, 2013 03:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for PantySausage Click Here to Email PantySausage Send a private message to PantySausage Click to send PantySausage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View PantySausage's Have/Want ListView PantySausage's Have/Want List
Pack Rat's problem isn't that it dies to removal. Its problem is that it requires you to spend multiple cards and then get blown out by 1. It is a 2-7 for one in the wrong direction every time.

Raynar
posted January 03, 2013 01:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Raynar Click Here to Email Raynar Send a private message to Raynar Click to send Raynar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Raynar's Have/Want ListView Raynar's Have/Want List
Pack Rat is difficult to deal with. Good thing there are some cards that can deal with it such as Supreme Verdict, Pithing Needle, and Street Spasm (thanks to my multiple Axebane Guardians). I always hope the players who have Pack Rat in their decks are either bad players or very balsy to play it on turn 2.

linvala
posted January 07, 2013 05:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for linvala Click Here to Email linvala Send a private message to linvala Click to send linvala an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View linvala's Trade Auction or SaleView linvala's Trade Auction or Sale
Card hsa close to 0 constructed potential, it'll still be 3-4 dollars 3 years downn the road, casuals love their rats.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League