Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Article #1 - Standard (FNM - Esper Control)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Article #1 - Standard (FNM - Esper Control)
Link139232
posted January 05, 2013 08:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
So I had some time off and I figured I would hit up a local FNM. As many of you know, I've been rocking Esper Control for a long while. I've written a primer that you can find in the Deck Help and Construction forum.

Here is my current list, the one I played last night:

4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Evolving Wilds
3 Island
2 Swamp
1 Plains

3 Terminus
3 Supreme Verdict
2 Lingering Souls

1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
1 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Jace, Architect of Thought

4 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Ultimate Price
3 Think Twice
2 Dissipate
4 Azorius Charm

2 Detention Sphere
1 Curse of Death's Hold
1 Staff of Nin
1 Snapcaster Mage

Sideboard:

1 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Drogskol Reaver
1 Curse of Death's Hold
1 Curse of Echoes
1 Detention Sphere
2 Rest in Peace
2 Feeling of Dread
3 Negate
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Terminus

Round 1: UW Angels

He took the play and started with some basics, I played some tapped shocks and M10 duals to get things rolling. The first spell of the game was a Serra Avenger. He followed that up with Angel of Jubilation and attacked for 4. I went to 16 and played Supreme Verdict, land, and passed. He had another Serra Avenger and left 4 mana open. I attempted Ultimate Price, and he had a Restoration Angel, but I had another Supreme Verdict. I ran out a Tamiyo, unsure of countermagic, and tapped down one of his two Islands. He passed without a play, and I kept his other Island tapped to resolve Memory Adept. A few turns later, his library was no more.

Sideboarding: -2 Jace, AoT -1 Staff of Nin -1 Curse of Death's Hold +1 Terminus +1 Supreme Verdict +1 Drogskol Reaver +1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

He took the play again, and had the first turn Champion of the Parish. I was a little confused, having seen no humans the first game. He pinged me for 1 a few turns without playing spells. He continued to laugh to himself with each draw step, I wonder if he had color problems or something. I think he was running Verdicts, but knew how useless they were against me. He played another Avenger and hit for 1, and I played Verdict. The following turn, I played Sorin, and rode a trio of 4/1 tokens to victory with the aid of some spot removal.

Result: Win 2-0 (1-0)

Round 2: BR Aggro

His list was a little more budget, but even those decks can present a powerful threat. He won the die roll and led off with a Guildgate. I played my shockland tapped and passed. He played a basic and Unleashed a Gore-House Chainwalker, which paid the Ultimate Price thanks to a Drowned Catacomb. He then played a Stromkirk Noble and a Rakdos Cackler, hitting me with a Pillar of Flame. I played Lingering Souls to soak some damage, but he had an overloaded Electrickery, plus an Ash Zealot. They all ate a Verdict on the following turn. He played a Hellhole Flailer, and not wanting to risk dying to something like Aristocrat or Hellkite, I played a Detention Sphere. I had no idea he was budget, so I think that was correct. He drew a card and passed, and I dropped a Tamiyo. Keeping a land submerged, I shipped the turn back to him, who played a Sign in Blood to draw some cards. I kept a land tapped and dropped Memory Adept with Azorius Charm open. He had no answers and scooped.

Sideboarding: -2 Dissipate -1 Tamiyo -1 Detention Sphere +2 Feeling of Dread +1 Curse of Death's Hold +1 Drogskol Reaver

He had a fast start with turn 1 Cackler, Turn 2 Chainwalker, Turn 3 Noble and Zealot. Unfortunately, I ate the damage, but had a Supreme Verdict waiting on turn 4. We played draw-go for a few turns, and he played a Hellrider. I played Ultimate Price. I hit land number 7 and fired off a Drogskol Reaver, right into a Murder. Yuck. Regardless, Sorin followed by Memory Adept closed things out after a Sphinx's Revelation for 5.

Result: Win 2-0 (2-0)

Round 3: Dirty Red/Mono Red Aggro

He won the roll and played a turn 1 Stromkirk Noble followed by Ash Zealot and hit me for 3. He added a Hellion Crucible and Stonewright to his board, hitting me for some damage. He still had a decent grip, and I was at 12 life. I decided to buy some time with Lingering Souls, and he attacked with his Zealot and Noble, which I gladly chumped.

"If you have the Hellkite, I guess that's okay."

I said, as I cast Supreme Verdict. He had it. I took 5 and fell to 7, but had a Detention Sphere for it.

"Might as well over-extend here."

He said, playing 2 Searing Spears pointed at my head. I fell to 1, and played a my-turn Sphinx's Revelation for 3, going to 4.

"Please don't draw Hellrider."

He didn't. He played the land, though. I knew he was going to threaten a 4/4 next turn, so I had a Azorius Charm at the ready. His token went to the top, and I played Curse of Death's Hold with 2 open, another Charm in hand. He topped a Pyreheart Wolf, and it became undead rather quickly. It died for real when I played a Staff, and he was all but locked out after Jace's +1 shut down anything he could play, and a Revelation for 8 put me out of burn range.

Sideboarding: -2 Dissipate -1 Terminus -1 Think Twice -1 Azorius Charm +2 Feeling of Dread +1 Supreme Verdict +1 Curse of Death's Hold +1 Drogskol Reaver

He started off with a turn 1 Stonewright into Ash Zealot. I miracled an early Terminus there, and stopped the bleeding a bit, still at a healthy 17. He played a few more dorks and I cleaned house with a Verdict. I chained together 2 Sphinx's Revelations for 2 and 3 over the next 2 turns, his hand nearly empty at this point. I played Curse, and Jace, AoT, giving him extra loyalty. I ticked up Jace and passed, firing off a Revelation for 7 at the end of his turn. He played REVERBERATE. Holy crap. He drew 7 cards and gained 7 life before mine even resolved. I drew 2 spells, and 5 lands, adding to the lands already in my hand. Uh-oh. Luckily, the spells I drew were Staff of Nin and Feeling of Dread. I played a land and the Staff, and ticked up Jace. A pair of Azorius Charms plus Drownyard activations handled back-to-back Hellriders, and Jace's ultimate grabbed me a Hellkite, a few bashes later, it was over. (Salt in the wound: Ghost Quartering a Hellion Crucible)

Result: Win 2-0 (3-0)

So, at the shop, they tried implementing a split-screened computer where you could record your own results, and they were verified by the guy working there. Some asshat thought it would be a good idea to click "start round" while the employee was handling a customer. Well, my record was recorded incorrectly, as I discovered when pairings were displayed. I was in 10th place, and there were about 50 people at the shop. I asked my opponent was his record was, and he said 2-0-1. Well, there was no chance of telling the other 48 people to stop playing so that we could re-pair, and they made an announcement after the round saying that no one should be touching the computer to do anything other than submit results. They also told me that my points would be adjusted and so forth.

Round 4: GW Midrange

My opponent was a familiar face, a friendly guy. He seemed a little irritated once I started playing lands though. I didn't know, but he had played the last 3 rounds against control. Sorry, dude. :/

I apologized, but he said it wasn't my fault. Either way, I still felt terrible when I Detention Sphere'd his double Avacyn's Pilgrim while he was stuck on lands. He was never really in this one after that, Memory Adept flipped his library upside down.

Sideboarding: -2 Dissipate -2 Lingering Souls -2 Jace, AoT +1 Curse of Death's Hold +1 Drogskol Reaver +1 Sorin +2 Feeling of Dread +1 Supreme Verdict

(Lingering Souls came out because of Rancor, same with Jace. There's nothing I want to counter with Dissipate that I can't kill for less mana.)

He was on the play again, and had nothing until a turn 3 Loxodon Smiter. A Rancor threatened 6 damage, but Azorius Charm said no. A Supreme Verdict handled that problematic dork for good, and he played an Elixir of Immortality. I looked at my sideboard, realizing I removed Lingering Souls. Uh-oh. I'd need to find and protect a Sorin or a Drogskol Reaver, and do it quick. He had another Elixir on his turn. Yikes! I shrugged it off, and knew I had to pull something out here, so I slammed Drogskol Reaver. He played Sigarda. Icky. I figured gaining 6 life and netting 2 cards was worth losing my Reaver, so I smashed in. They traded, and I played Memory Adept to start the long road to milling him. Thankfully, I had a pair of Drownyards to help me along the way. He sat back behind his Elixirs, just passing the turn. I played back-to-back Curses, trying to keep whatever he had off the table. His library disappeared after another turn, and he popped Elixir at the end of my turn. He had an Oblivion Ring for my Memory Adept on his turn, and I had no choice but to let it resolve. I played a Revelation for 5 or so at the end of his turn, finding a Sorin. I played it, and made a token. I made another token on my turn, after playing Drownyard number 3. I neglected to attack, in fear of Restoration Angel, just milled him for 9 at the end of his turn. I made another token, now having 3 on the board. I landed Staff of Nin, and looked at my library. I was running out of cards, and knew I needed to get this done quickly. He milled 3 at the end of his turn, and I drew a pair of cards on my turn. I made an emblem with Sorin, and attacked with two tokens. He didn't have the Angel, so he took 4 damage. I milled him for 9 again, and found a Detention Sphere on top to handle his Oblivion Ring, milling the top 10 cards. I made a second Emblem and got in for 9, going up to something like 41 life. He milled 9 more, and cracked his Elixir after taking 9 more damage. He was at 8 life (20+10(elixir)-22(tokens)) when he played a Sigarda. Not even the mighty angel could withstand Sorin tokens, as the 5/5 was a mere 3/3 thanks to the Curses. Another attack put him at 2, and Staff of Nin pings closed it out.

Result: Win 2-0 (4-0)

Top 8: Reanimator

He kept a weird hand and led off with Avacyn's Pilgrim into Mulch. He got a little unlucky, only hitting 1 land, 2 Grisly Salvage, and another Mulch. He poked me for 1 with Pilgrim, and the next turn he added Centaur Healer and Deathrite Shaman to the board. The jury congregated, and the Verdict was that they receive the death penalty for their crimes. A Thragtusk was exiled with Dissipate, but I had nothing to stop the beast on the following turn. Though, luck was with me, ripping a Tamiyo off the top to lock down the Thragtusk. Without a way to land a threat, Tamiyo's ultimate was backbreaking for him, and she survived, having 9 loyalty beforehand. Triple Lingering Souls closed out my turn, and I asked him for a concession, showing him Terminus, and Think Twice. He thought about it for a second, and drew his card, playing a Deathrite Shaman and passing. I drew Memory Adept and played it.

"Now I'll scoop."

Sideboarding: -2 Jace, AoT -1 Staff of Nin -1 Supreme Verdict -1 Curse of Death's Hold +2 Rest in Peace +1 Terminus +1 Negate +1 Sorin

He led off with a turn 1 Deathrite Shaman, but thankfully had nothing in the graveyard to eat up yet. A Grisly Salvage fixed that problem, landing an Unburial Rites and Griselbrand in the bin.

"So, if I play Rest in Peace right now, do you scoop?"

"It doesn't exile my graveyard, does it?"

"When it comes into play, we both exile our graveyards."

"Well, that will be tough to beat.. But I wouldn't scoop."

I didn't have it, either way, so I played a land and passed. He had land 3, and used Shaman to accelerate and flashback Rites on Griselbrand. The single Negate out of the board did its job quite well. Detention Sphere handled the Shaman, and I passed. He played a land, and passed. I did the same. He tried to cast Unburial Rites, but I had Dissipate. I played a land, and cast Revelation for some cards. I played another land, and did it again, only this time, I saw a white card off the top. I played the Rest in Peace, and he played a sideboarded Nevermore naming Tamiyo. Weird. A Memory Adept exiled his deck.

Result: Win 2-0 (5-0)

I was getting tired, and it was pushing 1 AM, so I figured I would just pack up and leave. I scooped my Reanimator opponent into the top 4, and he agreed to leave the FNM Searing Spear with the owner if he ended up winning the next round. I helped a newer player tweak his deck before I left, and headed home.

Deck Changes I am likely to make:

+1 Island
-1 Swamp

Hope you enjoyed!

MeddlingMage
posted January 05, 2013 09:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
Good read and good job Link (the writing and the tourney)

~MM

New keeper of the Logout button

MasterWolf
posted January 06, 2013 03:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Link139232:
He had another Serra Avenger and left 4 mana open. I attempted Ultimate Price, and he had a Restoration Angel, but I had another Supreme Verdict.

Did you get cheated? Avenger is an Angel and cannot be protected with Resto...

Link139232
posted January 06, 2013 09:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Link139232 Click Here to Email Link139232 Send a private message to Link139232 Click to send Link139232 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Link139232's Have/Want ListView Link139232's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MasterWolf:
Did you get cheated? Avenger is an Angel and cannot be protected with Resto...

Lawl, oops.

I usually pick up on things like that, but it's usually with Angel of Serenity. I haven't seen Avenger played much in standard, so I guess it was just lack of exposure!

It didn't really matter though.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League