Magic Discussion
  Scammed over and over. (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Scammed over and over.
Wackyjacks
posted November 22, 2012 01:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Wackyjacks Click Here to Email Wackyjacks Send a private message to Wackyjacks Click to send Wackyjacks an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Wackyjacks's Have/Want ListView Wackyjacks's Have/Want List
Hi, out of 6 trades on this site, i've been scammed 3 times. 2 timer for 100$+. It's really ruining this site for me. I really don't feel like trading with anyone anymore It's sick and disgusting that people do that kind of crap. Does anyone else feel like this? Coming to this site thinking yeah, now I'll get some trades done, but then you get scammed by these idiots.

Btw. English isn't my first language.

caquaa
posted November 22, 2012 03:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
interesting. You claim to have been scammed but have zero posts in the BTA forum.

Wackyjacks
posted November 22, 2012 04:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Wackyjacks Click Here to Email Wackyjacks Send a private message to Wackyjacks Click to send Wackyjacks an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Wackyjacks's Have/Want ListView Wackyjacks's Have/Want List
Cephalid_Man was banned shortly after I sent my cards to him. So no reason to make a Bad Trader alert there. I created one for SyrMtg he was also banned shortly after. I just traded with a guy called mpgriffin, he was banned right after I sent the cards to him

caquaa
posted November 22, 2012 04:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
Trade with people who have a large number of refs, 100+ preferably. Make sure there are recent refs within the past few months. Best advice I could give.

If a deal si too good to be true, it probably is. If someone happens to have everything you need and keeps throwing new items into the trade, be wary.

Eatatjoes
posted November 22, 2012 06:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Eatatjoes Click Here to Email Eatatjoes Send a private message to Eatatjoes Click to send Eatatjoes an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Eatatjoes's Have/Want ListView Eatatjoes's Have/Want List
When i first started here, i wouldnt deal with anyone unless they had a large number of refs, or they had been a member for multiple years. Once you build your refs up, you dont have to worry about sending first.

nderdog
posted November 22, 2012 07:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Here is a handy guide to minimizing risk.

http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021766.html

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

Vegas10
posted November 22, 2012 07:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
Here is a handy guide to minimizing risk.

http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021766.html

Thats a good thread that I would suggest all traders on here should read over

baldr7
posted November 22, 2012 01:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for baldr7 Click Here to Email baldr7 Send a private message to baldr7 Click to send baldr7 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
like everyone else said, when you deal with people with a good number of refs, they rarely will rip you off

[Edited 1 times, lastly by baldr7 on November 22, 2012]

AGO
posted November 22, 2012 03:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by baldr7:
like everyone else said, when you deal with people with a good number of refs, they rarely will rip you off

Send with DC# and they can't rip you off.

B14ckM4g3
posted November 22, 2012 03:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for B14ckM4g3 Click Here to Email B14ckM4g3 Send a private message to B14ckM4g3 Click to send B14ckM4g3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:

They can still do it. It just makes it easier to prove that they did. No guarantee of getting your stuff back or any retribution. Enjoy filing for mail fraud; hopefully it's in your country.

I agree with the above posters, and I'm sorry to hear that you got taken advantage of so badly. But honestly, I've pretty much stopped trading here. If the deal isn't with:

A) A high-ref member who has made recent refs/posts or is well-known in a positive manner
B) The deal is worth me sending registered mail ($17 to start)
C) I'm getting a Pile of stuff I need (not want) for current decks I am building

So I moreso just buy cards now. Unrelated/related advice -- When you buy cards from here, never 'gift' a paypal payment. Just add about 4% to the total price. Your paypal protection is worth it, and you can't dispute a gift payment.

flophaus
posted November 22, 2012 03:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Under $200 only, otherwise, you need to get sig confirmation/insurance.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by flophaus on November 22, 2012]

thror
posted November 22, 2012 04:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
again, it doesnt actually matter if you have DC or sig conf. If they're a returning banned member just looking to make a buck, they will get banned and you wont get anything.

Sorry that you had this happen that often.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

evilempire22
posted November 22, 2012 04:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for evilempire22 Click Here to Email evilempire22 Send a private message to evilempire22 Click to send evilempire22 an Instant MessageVisit evilempire22's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View evilempire22's Have/Want ListView evilempire22's Have/Want List
Thread title reminds me of this gem by Hot Chip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mdgLn5BFRQ

--Evil

RyKerZ
posted November 22, 2012 04:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for RyKerZ Click Here to Email RyKerZ Send a private message to RyKerZ Click to send RyKerZ an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View RyKerZ's Have/Want ListView RyKerZ's Have/Want List
A precaution that a new user can take to virtually eliminate any risk is to trade via a 3rd party (aka. trade moderator). I'm sure if you ask nicely to Jazaray or Ben (GunSlinga) or Nderdog, they will be more than able to accommodate your trade needs.

choco man
posted November 22, 2012 05:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Wackyjacks:
Cephalid_Man was banned shortly after I sent my cards to him. So no reason to make a Bad Trader alert there. I created one for SyrMtg he was also banned shortly after. I just traded with a guy called mpgriffin, he was banned right after I sent the cards to him

What's another thing that Cephalid_Man, SyrMtg, and mpgriffin all have in common?

None of those users regularly post on forums outside of the trade forum. Other than checking refs (make sure they have traded recently also, if refs are only from 2002 or beyond, that's sketchy), you can check their activity on the forums. Many rippers or hacked accounts don't engage in anything else.

For the MOTL'ers who post on forums regularly, they have a lot more at stake than those who just trade every now and then. For MOTL'ers who post a lot, this is a community. If you're new, check out the forums often and get a feel for what MOTL is about. New MOTL'ers should learn more about MOTL before diving in and making trades. Try to stick with making trades only with people with solid refs and who post a lot. It really would minimize your risk, but you can't eliminate it completely.

If you've been ripped, LET PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT IT! WE GOT TO GET RID OF THOSE PEOPLE and that's the only way.

If this has made you uncomfortable with trading, don't trade. Hang out on MOTL a bit until you find out who are some of the people you can trust and then trade.

Maybe nder should add that one to tips on trades guide.

achaye
posted November 22, 2012 11:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for achaye Send a private message to achaye Click to send achaye an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View achaye's Have/Want ListView achaye's Have/Want List
Holy, that's a pretty scary read, being scammed for $100. I think all the veterans' advice is correct; for larger trades that are worth quite a bit, you should trade with someone with high refs, little to no bad ratings, and e-mail a few of the refs. For smaller trades (like less than $10), I guess it's up to you.

I'm currently in a trade that's worth around $5 with someone that has only 15 refs, but that's still a lot more than what I have, so I offered to send first. If I get scammed, then I will take it as a $5 lesson, which is certainly better than a $100+ lesson.

My question to the OP, were the scammers ever high-ref (like 50-100+) members?

Wackyjacks
posted November 23, 2012 04:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Wackyjacks Click Here to Email Wackyjacks Send a private message to Wackyjacks Click to send Wackyjacks an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Wackyjacks's Have/Want ListView Wackyjacks's Have/Want List
mpgriffin had 80 refs or so.

nderdog
posted November 23, 2012 06:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Wackyjacks:
mpgriffin had 80 refs or so.

Yes, but he was a hacked account. The main advice for your particular situation is the first item on the list that I linked to, as it would have caught all 3 of them:

1. Always search the Bad Trader Alert and Confirmed Bad Traders lists, using http://forums.magictraders.com/search.cgi?action=intro&default=3 Don't just search for a name or email address as both are easily changed. Always begin your search with the last name, street name, city and zip code, then see if the address of the person you are trading with is in one of the search results. One reason for this is that a ripper may intentionally misspell a city and/or street name or swap a couple digits in the zip code, relying on the postal service to catch the mistake and deliver it while not getting caught on a BTA/CBT search. When searching, do NOT use the "Search by User Name" option. This will only find posts that the specified username has posted on. Many rippers never respond to their own BTA threads, so this option isn't very effective. Use the "Search Words:" box, and type their username in there for more complete results.

Report rules violations.

TimeBeing
posted November 23, 2012 09:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
What were the trades? Were they too good to be true?

Swift2210
posted November 23, 2012 02:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Swift2210 Click Here to Email Swift2210 Send a private message to Swift2210 Click to send Swift2210 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Swift2210's Have/Want ListView Swift2210's Have/Want List
Always stay up to date with potential problem traders by reading the Bad Traders Alert forum religiously.

If a trader has high refs but has no recent activity be very wary. Ask for third party, see how they react.

Trust your instincts - if a deal is in your favor but you must send first, be very, very careful.

This is probably inflammatory but I suggest taking extra precautions with traders from areas where there are known rippers: Puerto Rico, Florida, Russia, Canada, Philippines, or Greece

I've only had one problem in something like 250 trades. Where a guy with a history of horrendous mail service (multiple instances of 'I did not receive') did not inform me of this somewhat important fact and I sent with no tracking, so I got screwed.

airwalk
posted November 23, 2012 02:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
How are the accounts being hacked?

If someone is brute forcing the passwords, then someone should be able to see the hundreds of failed login attempts...

Are they guessing their secret answer (does MOTL even have one)?

There must be some way to catch hacked accounts before they do much damage...

nderdog
posted November 23, 2012 02:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by airwalk:
How are the accounts being hacked?

If someone is brute forcing the passwords, then someone should be able to see the hundreds of failed login attempts...

Are they guessing their secret answer (does MOTL even have one)?

There must be some way to catch hacked accounts before they do much damage...

We know how it's happening, we won't be divulging that information, and we're hoping to have it addressed on the new site as it's going to require some extra measures to deal with.

Report rules violations.

ryan2754
posted November 23, 2012 05:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
Third Party any deal over $50 as a new member.

(70 behind souladvocate)
2nd in Posts [7715] in OH-IO
(only 400 behind Val)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place.” - Rick Pitino

Mr.C
posted November 24, 2012 01:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
quote:

Hard when he's in Denmark.

If I were the OP, I'd trade exclusively with people with good refs in Europe, where tracking is cheap.

AGO
posted November 24, 2012 05:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
Hard when he's in Denmark.

If I were the OP, I'd trade exclusively with people with good refs in Europe, where tracking is cheap.

I should of been more clear.

High ref members + DC = Not getting ripped

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League