Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Are these angels?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Are these angels?
Raynar
posted September 07, 2012 09:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Raynar Click Here to Email Raynar Send a private message to Raynar Click to send Raynar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Raynar's Have/Want ListView Raynar's Have/Want List
Hi guys! I've collected angels and angel related cards for a long time and was wondering if there are angels on the following cards:

Essense Flare
Putrefy
Divine Intervention
Emerge Unscathed
Righteous War
Seashell Cameo

Your input will greatly be appreciated.

harbingerofthevoid
posted September 07, 2012 09:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
Essense Flare - on the left, yep
Putrefy - looks like one biting the dust
Divine Intervention - oh yeah
Emerge Unscathed - looks more like an Icarus thing
Righteous War - On the right
Seashell Cameo - "shall I carve a woman or a bird?" sounds like it

Zeckk
posted September 09, 2012 06:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
All of them depict angels. On Emerge Unscathed- Zendikar angels were often depicted with multiple sets of wings.

mcelraca
posted September 09, 2012 09:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
My input-

Essense Flare - Could be an angel, but from the name and flavor text I feel like this could be a spirit. The picture is the only thing lending itself to be somewhat of an angel and even then it's not real clear. I'm leaning towards no. Also if you look at other art from that Artist he tends to like whispy/wingy head designs. Even on cards clearly not intended to be an angel. Closing argument- The card is blue, blue does spirits, but not angels. So it's a no in my book.

Putrefy - Definitely, you can see the bone of the wing, feathers, humanish form. No other creature would have those characteristics.

Divine Intervention - No way this picture does not depict angels. Combination picture and name = angels!

Emerge Unscathed - I'm going to have to disagree with Harbringer. While it does give me vibes of Icarus, The actual creature-angel cards from that block have wings of a similar design. Furthering the argument the art from Emerge is from the same artist as Admonition Angel (Same block, Same wings, Same Artist)

Righteous War - Sure looks like an angel (Spirity angel, but an angel) The flavor text is from a Human Cleric but the art on that card is reminiscent of an angel as well. I'm going to go yes on this being an Angel. (Also the name lends itself to it being an Angel/Demon war)

Seashell Cameo - Going by the picture 100% yes. The flavor text is a little sketchy, but I'm thinking the carver of the Cameo would have been thinking angel if he wanted to carve a women with wings (women or a bird comment)

[Edited 3 times, lastly by mcelraca on September 09, 2012]

jaromirjagr
posted September 09, 2012 09:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaromirjagr Click Here to Email jaromirjagr Send a private message to jaromirjagr Click to send jaromirjagr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
essence flare=faerie
all others=angels

Raynar
posted September 10, 2012 10:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Raynar Click Here to Email Raynar Send a private message to Raynar Click to send Raynar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Raynar's Have/Want ListView Raynar's Have/Want List
Thank you all for your input.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted September 10, 2012 10:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I concur with the general sentiment: they all seem to be angel-related except for Essence Flare. It may be angel-related, but it's not obviously so. The more plausible interpretation of its art is that it is not angel-related.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League