Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Best place to play in Calgary, AB?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Best place to play in Calgary, AB?
Skwirlnutz
posted June 09, 2012 02:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or SaleView Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or Sale
I'm moving to Calgary in about a month or so and I noticed the city has at least 10 shops to play at! My question is which one is the best to play at? Which one has the nicest playgroups and is there a store with lots of singles?

I mainly play EDH.

nailbunny7
posted June 09, 2012 03:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nailbunny7 Click Here to Email nailbunny7 Send a private message to nailbunny7 Click to send nailbunny7 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In my personal order of preference:
Pheonix Comics (NW) - Wednesday EDH, Thursday Legacy, Friday Standard, Sunday Draft, + events
Sentry Box (SW) - Tuesday Standard, Friday Draft and Casual, Once a month on a saturday Legacy
Broken City School of Magic (SW, also, it's a pub, they do magic events though. No product for sale) - Wednesday Standard, Sunday Draft
Everything else (because everything else is usually not so great)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by nailbunny7 on June 09, 2012]

Skwirlnutz
posted June 09, 2012 04:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or SaleView Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or Sale
Does any have a good selection of singles?

nailbunny7
posted June 09, 2012 06:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nailbunny7 Click Here to Email nailbunny7 Send a private message to nailbunny7 Click to send nailbunny7 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skwirlnutz:
Does any have a good selection of singles?

Pheonix and Sentry Box probably have the best single selections of any store I've ever been to.

Skwirlnutz
posted June 09, 2012 08:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or SaleView Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by nailbunny7:
Pheonix and Sentry Box probably have the best single selections of any store I've ever been to.

Me Gusta...

stab107
posted June 12, 2012 06:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Phoenix probably has the highest quality of competition if you are looking for that kind of thing. Sentry Box is not far behind.

Myth games in the north has a good group of guys that are fairly casual. They have almost no singles, though.

EDH night at Phoenix is ok, but there are some guys who simply go to pack farm. A lot of the decks aren't built for fun, rather optimized for reaching the goals that are laid out there. I don't really like it as it makes the game about something else, not taking down your opponents.

Trilogy in the south has a pretty big space and their pre/release events can get pretty large. The one big problem is how disorganized it is when tournaments are happening. Maybe they will get better over time but the two times I have been it has been chaos.

Dick's Collectibles in the south is a tiny place but there are good folks there. Really enjoyed the AVR pre-re that they held, well-organized and rounds went smoothly.

Skwirlnutz
posted July 22, 2012 09:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or SaleView Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or Sale
So I made it to the Calgary area finally, turns out I'm staying in Airdrie. Anybody ever been to the Treasure Cove shop up here? Do they play edh?

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League