Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  New to Cube.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   New to Cube.
Skwirlnutz
posted July 17, 2012 11:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or SaleView Skwirlnutz's Trade Auction or Sale
I wanna build a cube, preferably a peasant cube of all commons.
My question is, how many of each color,how many nonbasic lands, how many artifacts, and how many multicolor cards do you add to make a complete cube?

Also suggestions on cards I should add would help!

MagicPatty
posted July 18, 2012 03:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
Well, you have to figure that 8 people drafting this cube means that you will need 24 packs of 15, or 360 cards. Assuming that you do not want the same cards every time (some do though) you should go up to 400+. The number of non-basic lands can be very dependent on how much you want your cube to allow for multi-color decks. In a pauper cube, I would imagine that three colors may be the max one would want to play, but regardless, there are several options for common lands out there.

-a few tips:

-The first cube I built was the all-powered best card cube, and I found that while you got to draft great cards, there was no synergy to speak of, making each pick a simple which card is better.
-Make sure you build your cube with decks in mind. My second cube was not powered, and I had some of the best goblins in the game in it. The problem was that there were like, 5 goblins...(SGC, ringleader, sharpshooter, warchief, piledriver, Matron) In order for the goblin deck to be in the cube, some 20 or 25 "slots" need to be available for goblins and goblin deck cards... like Goblin Grenade. For the goblin deck to function, and to have at least 15 goblins seen in the draft, cards like Skirk Prospector, Sparksmith, Fanatic... basically cards that don't seem like they need to be in a cube with moxes, the abyss, moat, berserk, etc, need to be in!
-Don't build a cube with one dominant deck. I have always been a combo player! My first cube had multiple ways to make storm-combo decks work. The issue was obvious that nothing else was worth drafting.
-Make it new / different... When you show up with your cube and ask people to play, they probably don't care to draft another generic cube (even pauper is fairly common) so throw in a twist or two... Maybe include only cards that cost 4 or more, perhaps go with an all instant / sorcery cube (token makers create the creatures) etc...
-Remember that a cube is never really 'complete.' After a few drafts, change out cards that aren't cutting the mustard, add in cards you overlooked, etc.

Also, we all love to rip MTGsalvation, but as cube tends to be casual, they have some really great suggestions ans forums on it.

hope that helps!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MagicPatty on July 18, 2012]

Soldier Boi
posted July 18, 2012 05:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I am also working on a cube. I stole a Peasant cube list from MTGSalvation. After I get it finished and play with it some I will make some changes. But Right now I am only half way through.

Scopes13mtg
posted July 18, 2012 07:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Scopes13mtg Click Here to Email Scopes13mtg Send a private message to Scopes13mtg Click to send Scopes13mtg an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I straight up copy Eric Klug's list for my un/common cube. That thread was started over 3.5 years ago and is still updated constantly. There is a lot of discussion over what types of decks are popular, as well as how to influence drafting strategies to push typically weaker archetypes over others.

Myy
posted July 18, 2012 07:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Soldier Boi:
I am also working on a cube. I stole a Peasant cube list from MTGSalvation. After I get it finished and play with it some I will make some changes. But Right now I am only half way through.

do you know how much a peasant cube would cost overall? ( if I were to buy all the cards)

MeddlingMage
posted July 18, 2012 08:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
I have recently started to do this as well. It was recommended to me to be common and uncommon though. Here is the thread I started and have been basing my cube off of so far.

My Cube Thread

Hopefully this helps you as it did me.

~MM

CM Punk "OMG Kevin Nash WTF, thought he was dead, LOL"

New keeper of the Logout button

Soldier Boi
posted July 18, 2012 08:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myy:
do you know how much a peasant cube would cost overall? ( if I were to buy all the cards)

If you take out all the expensive cards like Force of Will, Wasteland, Maze of Ith. The total value drops a lot. I dont think I will even spend 200 dollars building this cube and I have about 50 of the cards foil. I think I have rougly 180 cards (not including basic lands) and so far I have only traded the new Liliana. Most the cards have came out from Zen and beyond.

Aznopium
posted July 18, 2012 10:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingMage:
I have recently started to do this as well. It was recommended to me to be common and uncommon though. Here is the thread I started and have been basing my cube off of so far.

My Cube Thread

Hopefully this helps you as it did me.

~MM

I also prefer common/uncommon, a lot more card choices.

Cube is a great fun format.

Also working on a jank rare cube. should be terrible and hilarious at the same time.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League