Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Someone explain how this eBay seller scammed me (loose AVR packs)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Someone explain how this eBay seller scammed me (loose AVR packs)
adam83
posted June 19, 2012 03:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for adam83 Click Here to Email adam83 Send a private message to adam83 Click to send adam83 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So I'm curious if someone could explain to me how an eBay seller sold me 30 dud packs of Avacyn Restored. I'm well aware that the older packs could be searched, x-rayed, or mapped... but I don't quite understand how this guy ripped me off.

I bought 30 sealed packs of Avacyn Restored which yielded grand totals of:
-1 Mythic Rare
-1 Foil
-0 cards with SCG selling prices above $3

Statistically, there is no way this is mere coincidence... but now that I've been scammed out of $75+ on a handful of cards with absolutely 0 resell value, I'd at least like to know how he did this so I can avoid such experiences going forward.

Thanks
Adam

mm1983
posted June 19, 2012 03:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Just bad luck I believe. There's really no way to tell as a seller that out of 30 packs there is only going to be 1 mythic. Most avacyn boxes seem to be either below average for mythic pulls or or above average for mythic pulls. I've heard of some boxes only having 2 or 3 mythics and others having 7 or 8 where the average is usually 4 or 5 per box. As far as other stuff in the box, maybe the seller opened numerous boxes and cracked open packs from those boxes until he pulled all of the good cards then took the left over packs and sold them in a lot.

Aznopium
posted June 19, 2012 04:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Aznopium Click Here to Email Aznopium Send a private message to Aznopium Click to send Aznopium an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Aznopium's Have/Want ListView Aznopium's Have/Want List
unless the seller actually figured out how to map the box (which is possible), that's just really bad luck

when buying more than 30+ packs just to crack for yourself, ur almost always better just buying a seal booster box of 36.

if ur using them to draft with ur friends, unless you are getting a great deal (read < $3 USD ea), just get a booster box

EDIT

quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
. As far as other stuff in the box, maybe the seller opened numerous boxes and cracked open packs from those boxes until he pulled all of the good cards then took the left over packs and sold them in a lot.

also a possibility

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Aznopium on June 19, 2012]

wisknudde
posted June 19, 2012 04:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wisknudde Click Here to Email wisknudde Send a private message to wisknudde Click to send wisknudde an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEnINzWEvu8&feature=relmfu
This is an rather interesting video on how people could 'read' the boosters without opening them

comboking
posted June 19, 2012 04:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for comboking Click Here to Email comboking Send a private message to comboking Click to send comboking an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View comboking's Have/Want ListView comboking's Have/Want List
Could've been prize packs from drafts where all the good stuff was already pulled.

Zeckk
posted June 19, 2012 04:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
Mapped boxes. Not that hard, and anyone buying 3-4 cases can usually pick up the layout by the time they hit the 3rd case. The real question is why on earth are you buying loose boosters online? Heck, there are RETAIL locations where I don't accept boosters as prize support, simply because of rumors of box mapping at that particular store.

CubFan81
posted June 19, 2012 06:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
Like the others have mentioned. The packs weren't searched, but the boxes they came from were mapped. The seller opened the boxes and using a guide (like one from the guy in the linked video) he pulled out all the packs that had the mythics and valuable cards and sold you the rest.

gcowhsu
posted June 19, 2012 10:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for gcowhsu Click Here to Email gcowhsu Click to send gcowhsu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gcowhsu's Trade Auction or SaleView gcowhsu's Trade Auction or Sale
It's not too hard. Get a box of FS and open them until you open a goyf and then stop. The chances of 2 goyfs in a box are very low so you assume the rest of the packs are junk and sell the rest.

adam83
posted June 19, 2012 10:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for adam83 Click Here to Email adam83 Send a private message to adam83 Click to send adam83 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
his map would have to be perfect (which is fairly unlikely this early into a release) to have sent me 30 packs all of which were completely worthless....

Theres no way he was able to open / re-seal these packs?

I3Iood
posted June 19, 2012 11:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for I3Iood Click Here to Email I3Iood Send a private message to I3Iood Click to send I3Iood an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by adam83:
his map would have to be perfect (which is fairly unlikely this early into a release) to have sent me 30 packs all of which were completely worthless....

Math is hardly ever wrong. Collation is solvable with Math for most sets. Unless wizards does not use a machine for normal collation, then it is mappable. Some sets use normal machine collation, some do not. For normal collation sets, unless there is a packing error, it is mappable. Nothing is 100% due to error, but you can get close.

caquaa
posted June 19, 2012 12:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
I'd chalk it up to buying packs and expecting something good. Its fairly flawed logic.

Beyond t hat, its possible to feel foils in pack. I had a zendikar box and opened 8 packs from the box with 8 foils just to see if I could, but I haven't tried it on AVR cause it just doesn't matter to me.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by caquaa on June 19, 2012]

CubFan81
posted June 19, 2012 01:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by adam83:

Avacyn Restored has been out for almost 2 months at this point. He's also not the only one who is interested in mapping the set. THIS thread on Salvation shows a number of users sharing their data on what they opened in order for everyone to get a better handle on the set up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it took less than a week or two for someone to get map that was good enough to start cherry picking packs out of boxes.

bigbob585
posted June 20, 2012 12:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bigbob585 Click Here to Email bigbob585 Send a private message to bigbob585 Click to send bigbob585 an Instant MessageVisit bigbob585's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The other thing that's possible is that they just opened packs without dealing with mapping. Whenever they hit 5 mythics and a foil rare in a box they simply toss the rest of the packs aside.

ectomanic
posted June 20, 2012 01:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ectomanic Click Here to Email ectomanic Send a private message to ectomanic Click to send ectomanic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
some avr boxes are complete crap. when it first came out i opened two boxes. one of them had 3 mythics and zero foil rare/mythic. but in all likely hood either the guy used a map or opened many boxes and once opened a few high value card dumped the rest of the box.

Randomnist
posted June 20, 2012 09:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Randomnist Click Here to Email Randomnist Send a private message to Randomnist Click to send Randomnist an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Randomnist's Have/Want ListView Randomnist's Have/Want List
Yeah, apparently someone has figured out how to do this, I saw an auction last night for a "booster box repack" of 36 unopened packs.

I think it sold for about $22.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League