Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  First Attempts at Custom Card Altering

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   First Attempts at Custom Card Altering
Brekk
posted April 07, 2012 03:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Brekk Click Here to Email Brekk Send a private message to Brekk Click to send Brekk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So, first and foremost: This is just me fiddling around in Photoshop.

The custom unglued borders are modified art from Donald Miller, the images of Jake the Dog are of course filtered images from the show (Copyright Pendelton ward and such.) And the folks from the phoenix wright games are similarly filtered from manual art.

I'm not pretending like I'm an artist here, but I'd love some advice moving forward from anyone with more experience. The first set obviously took about 20x longer than the second. These are both still needing work but...

My long term plan is to include playsets of fun cards like these printed on card stock with trades.

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad72/theletterxee/AdventureTimeTropicalIsland.jpg

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad72/theletterxee/PhoenixForceofWill.jpg

Fun to make.

Oh, and of course, anyone is welcome to use and print these for their own use any time.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Brekk on April 07, 2012]

ryan2754
posted April 08, 2012 11:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
Pretty sure these would be illegal, because the mana and tap symbols are property of WOTC.

Brekk
posted April 08, 2012 12:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Brekk Click Here to Email Brekk Send a private message to Brekk Click to send Brekk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
How are freebie casual proxies illegal exactly?

Devonin
posted April 08, 2012 02:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Devonin Click Here to Email Devonin Send a private message to Devonin Click to send Devonin an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Devonin's Have/Want ListView Devonin's Have/Want List
Taking money for them would be copyright infringement. If the creator is American, and they weren't making money it would probably qualify as fair use.

Volcanon
posted April 08, 2012 02:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devonin:
Taking money for them would be copyright infringement. If the creator is American, and they weren't making money it would probably qualify as fair use.

These are fine as long as you don't sell them. Sell includes "barter" to be careful about the whole trade thing.

ryan2754
posted April 08, 2012 04:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
These are fine as long as you don't sell them. Sell includes "barter" to be careful about the whole trade thing.

Fair enough. Just thought I'd give the topic creator a fair warning.

These aren't my cup of tea. I'd rather have signed/altered cards.

(5 behind Odie)
2nd in Posts [7364] in OH-IO
(only 800 behind Val)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place.” - Rick Pitino

Soldier Boi
posted April 09, 2012 04:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I dont think I will be using them but I like the objection for Force of Will.

Brekk
posted April 09, 2012 06:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Brekk Click Here to Email Brekk Send a private message to Brekk Click to send Brekk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The Objection Force of Wills could be about 10x cooler with a little work. Going to find some better art that I can splash across the borders a bit to give it a more unique feel. Those were made in under 5 minutes each.

And no, I had no intention of selling these. I mostly wanted to make them as throw-ins for fun, and partially for use in my casual legacy decks. I know I'd love to get silly proxies in the mail with my trades.

LemonMeringue
posted April 09, 2012 10:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
The FoW are cute, I think they look pretty good. If it were still legal I wouldn't mind running a set of those.

How's Don doing these days?

Brekk
posted April 09, 2012 10:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Brekk Click Here to Email Brekk Send a private message to Brekk Click to send Brekk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I don't personally know Donald, I just know that he makes incredibly good custom unglued frames. Have to give him credit since his names not on them anymore.

Donald Miller
posted April 10, 2012 10:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Donald Miller Click Here to Email Donald Miller Send a private message to Donald Miller Click to send Donald Miller an Instant MessageVisit Donald Miller's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Actually the Unglued frames I made were pretty bad. Good enough for the duals I made is all. Others have made much better frames since then.

Brekk
posted April 10, 2012 10:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Brekk Click Here to Email Brekk Send a private message to Brekk Click to send Brekk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hah, fancy meeting you here.

Even if others looked better to you, I quite enjoyed the hand-painted feel that yours put across in several places.
Hope you don't mind me using them!

Donald Miller
posted April 10, 2012 06:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Donald Miller Click Here to Email Donald Miller Send a private message to Donald Miller Click to send Donald Miller an Instant MessageVisit Donald Miller's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Of course, enjoy.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League