Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Magic Worlds

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Magic Worlds
lickaneye
posted November 21, 2011 09:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for lickaneye Click Here to Email lickaneye Send a private message to lickaneye Click to send lickaneye an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
How was Magic Worlds for those that attended?
I was there all five days and had a blast.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by lickaneye on November 21, 2011]

caquaa
posted November 21, 2011 09:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
Pretty sweet event. I came down w/ a cold the day before I flew out there so I just played in some 8 mans and traded a lot. Found some pretty sweet cards including a foil japanese grim monolith. Wish I had a bit more energy I might have tried some of the bigger events. I just didn't have the stamina to play for that long and stay alert.

Cyno
posted November 22, 2011 04:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Cyno Click Here to Email Cyno Send a private message to Cyno Click to send Cyno an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
For those that didn't attend it was horrible. WotC dropped the ball bigtime covering the first 3 days. No live feeds, live chat thingy wasn't up half the time, standing updates were 2 hours late. Best updates we had were from people that twittered a pic of the standingsheet from the tournament floor.

choco man
posted November 22, 2011 04:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Cyno:
For those that didn't attend it was horrible. WotC dropped the ball bigtime covering the first 3 days. No live feeds, live chat thingy wasn't up half the time, standing updates were 2 hours late. Best updates we had were from people that twittered a pic of the standingsheet from the tournament floor.

Wish I got to go to the last worlds.

stab107
posted November 22, 2011 06:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah I'm kinda bummed I didn't have the chance to go this year. I went last year when it was in Japan and it was an amazing experience. The sad thing is Worlds being gone forever when it should be THE event of the year for people to try and attend. If you want to talk about dropping the ball, that's where I would start.

MAB_Rapper
posted November 22, 2011 09:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MAB_Rapper Click Here to Email MAB_Rapper Send a private message to MAB_Rapper Click to send MAB_Rapper an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or SaleView MAB_Rapper's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
Yeah I'm kinda bummed I didn't have the chance to go this year. I went last year when it was in Japan and it was an amazing experience. The sad thing is Worlds being gone forever when it should be THE event of the year for people to try and attend. If you want to talk about dropping the ball, that's where I would start.

It wouldn't matter anyway, since all the invite-only events were going to be private. Even without the changes, you would either be qualified or you don't go.

The Official Tower Magic Facebook Page

yakusoku
posted November 22, 2011 03:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I drove up from San Jose to San Francisco on Saturday and Sunday. I drafted once and ended up with a really good g/w aggro deck that included both Travel Preparations and Gavony Township to pump up my 2 Abbey Griffins, 2 Chapel Geist, Gallow Warden, Spirit tokens from Midnight Haunting, Spectral Rider, and Voiceless Spirit. In the first match, I did get a nut draw one game where I was attacking for 8 in the air, but the other two game, he just had Geistflame for Voiceless Spirit, Brimstone Volley for Gallow Warden or Chapel Geist, and Fiend Hunter to take out something, while I had no way to stop his Scour of Geier Reach.

I got to be a fly on the wall while Pat Chapin was talking with Mark Rosewater about design and specifically the color pie (discussing Desparate Ravings) and the role of randomness in red.

I talked to lots of people and traded all day long. I played a game of Momir Vig and got crushed by a guy who got Dragon Broodmother, while I blanked out on 3, 4, and 5.

I got a bunch of cards I wanted through trading, including another Thrun, another Batterskull, 4 Japanese Green Sun's Zeniths, 2 Japanese Primeval Titans, a Genesis for my EDH deck, two foil Mirran Crusaders (one promo, one not), a foil Beast Within, Elspeth Tirel, Mox Opal, a Japanese Inkmoth Nexus (I now have 3), a full art Electrolyze for my cube, and best of all, some cards for my Magic Secret Santa recipient.

The Magic trading sharks were definitely around all day long and it took me four unsuccessful trades before I finally got a Genesis, because everyone valued theirs at $14 or $15, while lowering my cards very low. One guy had a Genesis with obvious wear and I asked for its value and he said $14, until I pointed out that the back had dime sized white abrasions on the back, which made him remember that it wasn't NM, and he lowered the value to $10. One guy quoted his at $15, then I talked him down to $13, just to see where he valued MY cards, then he started pointing towards thing I owned and said,

"Kessig Wolf Run - $2?"
"Daybreak Ranger - $1?"
"Sulfur Falls - $3?"

"Well, if you don't want to trade those, the only thing I would consider doing is Primeval Titan + Splinter Twin for it."

So, I refused and walked away. My friends thought I was being FAR too kind when he was quoting retail price for his card and vendor buy prices for my cards.

I also saw something kind of shady - there were a couple of Japanese guys just sitting at the regular player tables with binder after binder of Japanese foil cards with prices on them and they claimed that they were representing Saito (his store) and were doing cash transactions literally under the table for cards without a real vendor's table. It didn't bug me enough to tell anyone, but I thought that it was pretty nervy while still in trouble with WotC to be doing something that's prohibited - there were signs in the venue reminding people that selling and buying were only allowed by the authorized dealers, places like GamingEtc, StarCityGames, and ChannelFireball.

I really enjoyed it, like I enjoyed the last Worlds that was held in SF and all of us who went were bummed that this is the last time we would be doing this. The spectacle, the crowds, the gathering of so many pro players in one place, and the chance to talk to Richard Garfield and Mark Rosewater or other WotC staff is just something we aren't going to see at a PTQ, GPT, or pre-release. Seeing LSV at the ChannelFireball brick and mortar store is going to be the closest celebrity encounter for awhile.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by yakusoku on November 22, 2011]

caquaa
posted November 22, 2011 04:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by yakusoku:
I also saw something kind of shady - there were a couple of Japanese guys just sitting at the regular player tables with binder after binder of Japanese foil cards with prices on them and they claimed that they were representing Saito (his store) and were doing cash transactions literally under the table for cards without a real vendor's table. It didn't bug me enough to tell anyone, but I thought that it was pretty nervy while still in trouble with WotC to be doing something that's prohibited - there were signs in the venue reminding people that selling and buying were only allowed by the authorized dealers, places like GamingEtc, StarCityGames, and ChannelFireball.

Meh, the dealers know it goes on. I sold $1300 to CFB and about $700 on the floor and bought a buddies collection for $1200. It not like I didn't give them any business. There was also an instance where someone wanted a small card and tossing me a dollar was way easier then finding something in a binder. I just view cash as an easy trade medium. If I can trade my $20 card for your $20 card, I don't see why I can't sell my card for $20 then go buy your card for $20.

flophaus
posted November 22, 2011 05:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for flophaus Click Here to Email flophaus Send a private message to flophaus Click to send flophaus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So, why aren't they having Worlds anymore?

Sorry if I'm clueless here... I just thought that Worlds was THE main event in all of MTG? Are they going to replace it with something else?

How are they going to crown World Champions then?

yakusoku
posted November 22, 2011 05:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Relevant link HERE.

quote:
WotC:

For the first time since the creation of the Pro Tour, Magic: The Gathering will have a single tournament to determine the best player in the world: the 2012 World Championship.

To accomplish this goal, the World Championship is changing from a Pro Tour-sized event to an exclusive sixteen-person tournament. These sixteen titans of Magic will battle for a $100,000 prize purse at Gen Con 2012 in Indianapolis (August 16-19).

Also important to note:

quote:

National Championships will no longer be feeding a larger global event. With the World Championship moving to its new model, as well as a growing need for individual regions to tailor their organized play offerings, it was necessary to separate Nationals from a larger organized play path. This change helps individual regions develop the right tournaments and events—from Wizards Play Network events up to National Championships—to meet the needs of their region's player base.

Finally:

quote:

The field will be made up of the following players:

* 2011 World Champion
* 2011 Magic Online Champion (determined at the 2011 Magic Online Championship held at Magic Weekend San Francisco)
* Winners of the previous three Pro Tours (Philadelphia, Dark Ascension in Honolulu, and the second Pro Tour in 2012). Pro Tour Philadelphia champion Samuele Estratti is the first invitee to the 2012 World Championship.
* The top-ranked player from each geo-region (Asia Pacific, Europe, Japan, Latin America, and North America) in the Planeswalker Points 2012 Professional Total who are not yet invited based on the above criteria.
* The top-ranked players in the worldwide Planeswalker Points 2012 Professional Total who are not yet invited based on the above criteria sufficient to bring the total number of invited players to the 2012 World Championship to sixteen.

There have been numerous complaints about this change, including the fact that it seems to have a NA bias, since 2/3 of the PTs are held in the United States, the planeswalker point system already seems to have some problems for certain regions with fewer PTs and GPs than NA, and of course, the fact that Worlds will change from a whole event by itself to a side event at GenCon has upset many people. Instead of a huge, multi-day tournament with hundreds of people, instead it feels like a super invitational tournament.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by yakusoku on November 22, 2011]

coolio
posted November 22, 2011 08:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yakusoku:

none of the vendors with tables there would complain about saito.. he ships them business, and vice versa.. and it's pretty common knowledge he does this.. but still mostly trade.. he buys mainly from a few of us.. and prob small transactions on the floor only..

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

Samite Healer
posted November 22, 2011 10:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Samite Healer Click Here to Email Samite Healer Send a private message to Samite Healer Click to send Samite Healer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Saito allows a few select vendors to buy more cards when they run out of money. If you understand what I mean then you probably have an idea as to how the vendor market works.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League